Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

best hotel in Hong Kong

best hotel in Hong Kong

Old May 8, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave510
I agree that no hotel should really start discriminating guests based on the rate they paid. In this instance, even that excuse doesn't pass the smell test.

The first half of his video is basically all the pros, great view, great hardware, while the second half focuses on the negatives. His 3 main complaints were the table linen, the generic birthday card and the total lack of turn down. His minor complaints were really quite minor: the toilet seat doesn't automatically come up all the time (hardware issue, but it could really happen anywhere), the loofah is placed in a non-obvious place instead of the bath caddy and room service not removing the plastic wrap from the dishes he ordered once it was delivered in room (which I think is the only complaint that misses the mark; I think the rationale is that it's safer for customers to remove the cling film themselves). I think that covers most of the review.

AFAIK, there was no service recovery, but I'm not sure if he even raised the issues with the hotel during his stay.
I see, thanks! I figured out the table cloth one, but didn't figure out anything else. I thought one of his complaints was the stain on the carpet. Is turndown on a request only basis due to Covid? I know a lot of hotels are practicing that.

Also I was joking about the consistent service the joke was that the service was consistently mediocre no matter how much one pays
Old May 8, 2021, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dave510
The full review video is now available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9NE0A5MTq0

Apart from the embarrassing table linen, he received no turndown service and a whole host of service and hardware issues. I think a generic, printed "Dear Guest" for someone who's celebrating their birthday at the hotel is the coup de grace.
It does sound like they just didn't care about the guest or his birthday. Guest relations dropped the ball. If someone is booking a specific celebration package then they should do better -full stop.
Old May 8, 2021, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
Consistent service across guests who paid different rates is the hallmark of a great hotel. Bravo.
Diferent service is unacceptable. And I do not talk about Clubs or GM greating guests who check in the Presintial Suite
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:47 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
More intended for long stays but not sure where to put this one.

Just did my review of Rosewood Residences Hong Kong. I believe BESVISOR might also have stayed in the Residences previously. I'm doing a few more long stay residences at the moment, also tried out Pacific Place Apartments recently (now managed by Upper House), as well as Rosewood's next door neighbour K11.
More about the Hong Kong Residences here:
https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/hong-kong-residences/

Anyway, Rosewood Residences review (disclaimer: I was hosted by Rosewood)
https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/rose...idence-review/

VIDEO:

PHOTOS:

Overall, just stunning - it feels like Rosewood Hong Kong's own mini-boutique hotel, with the two best things being the much, much more attentive and personalised service and the incredible Club 53.

I was in the One Bedroom Suite - almost every unit has its own quirks with regards to layout. Only real 'complaint' is that the living area feels more like a large foyer than an actual living space - and interestingly enough, the size of the living area doesn't change that much between 1 to 2 to 3 bedroom. I imagine for quite a few long staying guests (especially those staying more than 1 month/just moving in, or even in that scenario where people want to entertain clients etc), it's not ideal for having more guests over or for entertaining (unlike say, Pacific Place Apartments which have a huge living area).
In that sense, the main hotel suites actually have a larger living area for the most part, or at least comparable, which I found...interesting.
Also, given how brand new the residences are, in the bedroom I do wish they had found a better way to hide the TV than to have it marginally block that gorgeous view.

I saw the Studios too, and as far as studios go there's actually a lot of space here. A couple of the units have an 'open suite' type thing going for it with the TV unit being used as a divider (a few of the SHKP residences like The HarbourView Place in West Kowloon next to Ritz-Carlton/W have this listed as a 'Deluxe Studio').

I was also lucky enough to see the Penthouses - definitely way more space (great for entertaining, unlike the other Residences as per above re: living room area), and the bedrooms/bathrooms in those are incredible, but the design changes a bit from the other residences, felt a bit more cold to me personally.

One major change since my stay (May 2021) and this review is that members of the new Carlyle and Co club also have access to the Club 53 pool, which I assume will make it a bit more full than when I saw it.

I actually loved it so much I'm planning to stay there for a short period of time myself in 2022 if travel hasn't opened up much for Hong Kong by that stage...

As always, feel free to ask any questions re: the Residences.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:28 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Love this, chinmoylad and glad you're going back for another stay.

This brings back great memories of my month stay in the Residence.
My bedroom tv in the one bedroom grand harbour suite was a bit different. In the separation wall and didn't block views. But agree with you that some are less ideal for sure.
Agree with you on living rooms of the Residence isnt' as functional as the hotel suites.

Can't wait to return, though. Next time, I may do another month long stay but in the hotel suite vs. Residence.
I think lunch is on you next time haha.

Cheers!
chinmoylad likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
More intended for long stays but not sure where to put this one.

Just did my review of Rosewood Residences Hong Kong. I believe BESVISOR might also have stayed in the Residences previously. I'm doing a few more long stay residences at the moment, also tried out Pacific Place Apartments recently (now managed by Upper House), as well as Rosewood's next door neighbour K11.
More about the Hong Kong Residences here:
https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/hong-kong-residences/

Anyway, Rosewood Residences review (disclaimer: I was hosted by Rosewood)
https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/rose...idence-review/

VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23CWmmyJWkk

PHOTOS:
Overall, just stunning - it feels like Rosewood Hong Kong's own mini-boutique hotel, with the two best things being the much, much more attentive and personalised service and the incredible Club 53.

I was in the One Bedroom Suite - almost every unit has its own quirks with regards to layout. Only real 'complaint' is that the living area feels more like a large foyer than an actual living space - and interestingly enough, the size of the living area doesn't change that much between 1 to 2 to 3 bedroom. I imagine for quite a few long staying guests (especially those staying more than 1 month/just moving in, or even in that scenario where people want to entertain clients etc), it's not ideal for having more guests over or for entertaining (unlike say, Pacific Place Apartments which have a huge living area).
In that sense, the main hotel suites actually have a larger living area for the most part, or at least comparable, which I found...interesting.
Also, given how brand new the residences are, in the bedroom I do wish they had found a better way to hide the TV than to have it marginally block that gorgeous view.

I saw the Studios too, and as far as studios go there's actually a lot of space here. A couple of the units have an 'open suite' type thing going for it with the TV unit being used as a divider (a few of the SHKP residences like The HarbourView Place in West Kowloon next to Ritz-Carlton/W have this listed as a 'Deluxe Studio').

I was also lucky enough to see the Penthouses - definitely way more space (great for entertaining, unlike the other Residences as per above re: living room area), and the bedrooms/bathrooms in those are incredible, but the design changes a bit from the other residences, felt a bit more cold to me personally.

One major change since my stay (May 2021) and this review is that members of the new Carlyle and Co club also have access to the Club 53 pool, which I assume will make it a bit more full than when I saw it.

I actually loved it so much I'm planning to stay there for a short period of time myself in 2022 if travel hasn't opened up much for Hong Kong by that stage...

As always, feel free to ask any questions re: the Residences.
Hopefully the interior design comes across as a lot better put together in real life, because in photos that is just a load of horribly mismatched wood finishes that would look at home in a St. Regis in mainland China c.2005...

The view looks, of course, gorgeous.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Now, for the $64,000 question... How much for the week/month?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:17 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Bumping this thread to echo the comments of the Peninsula going downhill in HK ...

I sent 4 separate requests on two four-day stays in the last 2 months:
1. Booking concert tickets --> they told me that it's sold out and sent me to a scalper website (in Chinese, no less, without having checked if I spoke Chinese first)
2. Restaurant booking --> they told me that it was full the night + time that I wanted, and sent me to the restaurant's website that I should "continually monitor for desired availability"
3. I asked for specific advice based on entering a specific venue with the Amber pass (and asked them to call on my behalf), and they directed me to the HK covid government website
4. I asked for tickets to a museum that was also sold out (M+), and they informed that it was sold out and that there was nothing they could do.

Not to mention, the property's public areas (pool, restaurants, etc.) are absolutely overrun by local staycationers which have undoubtedly brought down service levels -- staff have seem to forgotten how to use the valet boxes, turndown service is inconsistent, absolutely poor showing.

Will likely cancel our upcoming 2-week stay for somewhere else in Kowloon.
offerendum likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
3 years of isolation from the world and strictly shifting focus to staycations have brought down the bars everywhere.

Some anecdotes (based on my (un)fortunate participation above, all the way til very recently) which might be helpful for this board if anyone's coming to HK soon:
- FS - new hardware is clean and crisp if just bit clinical. But won't disappoint. F&B has gone massively downhill (across both of their 3* restaurants, Sushi Saito and the other casual places altogether). Lounge service is aloof and the lounge feels dated, but they do serve full-size afternoon tea and food offerings are still strong (drinks not as much). Pool service is still decent and not as overrun by local crowds.

- MO - atrocious F&B everywhere, much worse than FS. However, if you are a high value customer, I believe they can still deliver professional service to pre-COVID levels, most of the senior management remains unchanged.
The lounge is not much to write home about, weak food offerings, but strong for drinks (many spirits over happy hour - but the venue is otherwise dry outside of evening hours).

- LMO - the most profitable one as they have been a DQH for most of the past 3 years, hence no pressure to do excessive cost cutting. F&B remains strong supported by outside demand

- TUH - service has plummeted. Check out time is now at 11am (!). The rooms are way past their prime and showing age. They do have two restaurants now, but having tried most meal services at both places, I don't think they're up to luxury hotel standards.

- ISL - renovated rooms are decent, but some fatal hardware points such as low ceilings can't be fixed. I belive their Horizon Club is about to reopen, and before they closed / throughout COVID they had still maintained decent standards.

- GH - it's very, very popular and basically overrun like a massive cruise ship every weekend. But at the Grand Club, the standards are still there. No cost cutting - ie the Ruinart is still freely flowing all day long!

- SR - service levels are a shadow of their opening year. Many of their talent which they trained for months before opening have departed. But the hardware is unsurprisingly solid and they still try to deliver when they can (expect the usual StR butler perks like pressing and coffee/tea, and I quite like the courtesy car service they run as well). The breakfast is geared to Asian tastes but otherwise is satisfying. Drinks at the bar as well - highly recommended

- RC - rooms are in dire need of a refresh. F&B is dull but it's been the way ever since even pre-COVID. Their Michelin restaurant Tosca has been refreshed and I think the food has improved (but conversely for the prices). Some cuts this board may be interested include no more courtesy car service for Club guests. And don't expect anything fancy for the club 'presentations', it's mostly your 4* conference hotel generic slop. The area nearby however, has a lot more to see nowadays (M+ as mentioned above, and the entire West Kowloon waterfront is very nice despite still under construction.) There's a new footbridge that goes straight across to M+ from underneath the hotel so there's no need to walk on the curbside even.

- Peninsula - I lost faith in the hotel even before COVID, so I can't compare or offer any opinion. But I guess the above post is pretty telling. And it's consistent with the consensus.

- Rosewood - also crowded like an overrun cruise ship. F&B is pretty bad, especially for breakfast. Even the widely acclaimed 1* Chaat British-Indian gastropub at the hotel has gone downhill, along with the afternoon tea service which I once thought greatly eclipsed the more original London outlets back in 2019 when it first opened. Good luck with their online rationing of 45-minute swimming pool timeslots, strictly limited to once per night LOL. Don't expect much service - applies to the FD, conceirge, housekeeping, pool/fitness staff galore... perhaps the only saving grace is the Manor Club where many of the original crew still remain. The manager Warren (who's worked closely with Dominic, his predecessor, for many years) is a true hospitality guy that knows his stuff. Hence despite cost cutting like no tomorrow (the bar in the Manor Club has shut down, for example), their team still tries hard to deliver where they can.

- There's a new Fullerton in the Southern district that has recently opened. I've been to the public areas but not the rooms, so can't opine much. I've heard that hardware and vibes are decent, F&B decidedly less so. But for anyone planning on going out and about in town, it probably isn't the best location to be at.

Last edited by G-CIVC; Nov 21, 2022 at 6:15 am
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
3 years of isolation from the world and strictly shifting focus to staycations have brought down the bars everywhere.

Some anecdotes (based on my (un)fortunate participation above, all the way til very recently) which might be helpful for this board if anyone's coming to HK soon:
- FS - new hardware is clean and crisp if just bit clinical. But won't disappoint. F&B has gone massively downhill (across both of their 3* restaurants, Sushi Saito and the other casual places altogether). Lounge service is aloof and the lounge feels dated, but they do serve full-size afternoon tea and food offerings are still strong (drinks not as much). Pool service is still decent and not as overrun by local crowds.

- MO - atrocious F&B everywhere, much worse than FS. However, if you are a high value customer, I believe they can still deliver professional service to pre-COVID levels, most of the senior management remains unchanged.
The lounge is not much to write home about, weak food offerings, but strong for drinks (many spirits over happy hour - but the venue is otherwise dry outside of evening hours).

- LMO - the most profitable one as they have been a DQH for most of the past 3 years, hence no pressure to do excessive cost cutting. F&B remains strong supported by outside demand

- TUH - service has plummeted. Check out time is now at 11am (!). The rooms are way past their prime and showing age. They do have two restaurants now, but having tried most meal services at both places, I don't think they're up to luxury hotel standards.
11am checkout alone should disqualify it from this forum.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: CX MPC
I have recently completed two stays at the original mo & lmo. I feel both properties did their best to maintain pre-COVID service level. Not much cost cutting in both properties.
The only cutting is now hotel limo doesn't include meet on arrival service. But I think it's more due to covid restrictions.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:55 am

- ISL - renovated rooms are decent, but some fatal hardware points such as low ceilings can't be fixed. I belive their Horizon Club is about to reopen, and before they closed / throughout COVID they had still maintained decent standards.

- GH - it's very, very popular and basically overrun like a massive cruise ship every weekend. But at the Grand Club, the standards are still there. No cost cutting - ie the Ruinart is still freely flowing all day long!

- SR - service levels are a shadow of their opening year. Many of their talent which they trained for months before opening have departed. But the hardware is unsurprisingly solid and they still try to deliver when they can (expect the usual StR butler perks like pressing and coffee/tea, and I quite like the courtesy car service they run as well). The breakfast is geared to Asian tastes but otherwise is satisfying. Drinks at the bar as well - highly recommended

- RC - rooms are in dire need of a refresh. F&B is dull but it's been the way ever since even pre-COVID. Their Michelin restaurant Tosca has been refreshed and I think the food has improved (but conversely for the prices). Some cuts this board may be interested include no more courtesy car service for Club guests. And don't expect anything fancy for the club 'presentations', it's mostly your 4* conference hotel generic slop. The area nearby however, has a lot more to see nowadays (M+ as mentioned above, and the entire West Kowloon waterfront is very nice despite still under construction.) There's a new footbridge that goes straight across to M+ from underneath the hotel so there's no need to walk on the curbside even.

- Peninsula - I lost faith in the hotel even before COVID, so I can't compare or offer any opinion. But I guess the above post is pretty telling. And it's consistent with the consensus.

- Rosewood - also crowded like an overrun cruise ship. F&B is pretty bad, especially for breakfast. Even the widely acclaimed 1* Chaat British-Indian gastropub at the hotel has gone downhill, along with the afternoon tea service which I once thought greatly eclipsed the more original London outlets back in 2019 when it first opened. Good luck with their online rationing of 45-minute swimming pool timeslots, strictly limited to once per night LOL. Don't expect much service - applies to the FD, conceirge, housekeeping, pool/fitness staff galore... perhaps the only saving grace is the Manor Club where many of the original crew still remain. The manager Warren (who's worked closely with Dominic, his predecessor, for many years) is a true hospitality guy that knows his stuff. Hence despite cost cutting like no tomorrow (the bar in the Manor Club has shut down, for example), their team still tries hard to deliver where they can.

- There's a new Fullerton in the Southern district that has recently opened. I've been to the public areas but not the rooms, so can't opine much. I've heard that hardware and vibes are decent, F&B decidedly less so. But for anyone planning on going out and about in town, it probably isn't the best location to be at.
Agreed with your point on FS. I just had a terrible dinner at Lung King Heen. Their waiter now even cannot speak English fluently. And need manager comes to translate.

Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Bumping this thread to echo the comments of the Peninsula going downhill in HK ...

1. Booking concert tickets --> they told me that it's sold out and sent me to a scalper website (in Chinese, no less, without having checked if I spoke Chinese first)
2. Restaurant booking --> they told me that it was full the night + time that I wanted, and sent me to the restaurant's website that I should "continually monitor for desired availability"
3. I asked for specific advice based on entering a specific venue with the Amber pass (and asked them to call on my behalf), and they directed me to the HK covid government website
4. I asked for tickets to a museum that was also sold out (M+), and they informed that it was sold out and that there was nothing they could do.

Not to mention, the property's public areas (pool, restaurants, etc.) are absolutely overrun by local staycationers which have undoubtedly brought down service levels -- staff have seem to forgotten how to use the valet boxes, turndown service is inconsistent, absolutely poor showing.

May I ask if it's a Cantonese concert?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 21, 2022 at 10:18 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:17 pm

Heart-breaking.
FlyerEC and scented like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:31 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by ppppewang
May I ask if it's a Cantonese concert?
Not in Chinese (Cantonese, Mandarin, or other) -- if it were, I would've at least understood the assumption. Regardless of the language the site presented itself, I was hardly convinced it was a legitimate site based on the number of ads. I've also never encountered a "luxury hotel concierge" who approaches ticketing & reservations in such a DIY manner, it's usually a quotation and a confirmation to proceed / cancel -- I don't have to worry if a site is legitimate, I don't have to sign up for an account on a website I'm not likely to use again, etc.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:57 pm

Not in Chinese (Cantonese, Mandarin, or other) -- if it were, I would've at least understood the assumption. Regardless of the language the site presented itself, I was hardly convinced it was a legitimate site based on the number of ads. I've also never encountered a "luxury hotel concierge" who approaches ticketing & reservations in such a DIY manner, it's usually a quotation and a confirmation to proceed / cancel -- I don't have to worry if a site is legitimate, I don't have to sign up for an account on a website I'm not likely to use again, etc.
It sounds awful. Before covid, some concierges can arrange sold-out concert tickets for a higher price. But I guess possibly they lost the connection now.
On the other hand, the concierge sending a reselling website to you is not professional at all. You don't know if the website will send you the ticket or not after buying it.

On my last stay, I asked mo concierge to book a restaurant reservation that is sold out on their website. They confirmed the booking after one working day. My friend staying at FS also have a similar experience.

I also asked mo concierge if I'm able to enter some venues with Amber pass, they checked and said it was not possible.

I guess either the current Peninsula concierge team is weak or they are not really willing to help.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by same member violates Flyertalk rules, include in previous post, please.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.