Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Old May 6, 2018, 12:55 pm

I have written reviews on Amanjena (stayed 2017) and Mandarin Oriental Marrakech (stayed 2016) on my blog. I'm actually half-way through writing one on Royal Mansour (stayed 2017, directly after Amanjena) and a comparison between Royal Mansour and Amanjena....it's just God of War is far, far more interesting.

I said it at the time, and as we're heading back to Marrakech in September I can confirm it: I wouldn't return to Royal Mansour. It is one of the most spectacular buildings I've ever seen, but I really hated the room/riad. It may have a large square meterage, but it does not feel spacious due to the endless number of floors, most of which you will never use. As Groombridge said, the plunge pools are absolutely freezing - so perhaps perfect for you, but completely unusable for us.

I feel Royal Mansour is a place you go to have been, kinda like Burj al Arab - just this one has class. I can tell within the first hour if I won't like somewhere, but it takes a few days for me to realise if I'll love it. 1 night at Royal Mansour would have been enough for me to form my opinion of it, as nothing much changed between feeling just a bit underwhelmed by it all, once I got over how much the designers loved this project...and money.

If you want to be central than RM is better placed, although having been on two different tours, I feel Marrakech only has carpet sellers to offer in the centre anyway. Food at both MO and Amanjena was disappointing, whereas at RM it was a lot better - although I still didn't love any of it and thought it was overpriced. MO had the better suite, although I prefer the classic Aman ambience of Amanjena.

I would rank my favourite Marrakech properties as:
  1. Amanjena
  2. Mandarin Oriental
  3. Royal Mansour
Old May 6, 2018, 1:29 pm

Amanjena is neither tired, nor dated... and has very strong A/C. Although I think you would be best off at RM, all things considered.

Mandarin Oriental has had some A/C issues, at least last year they did. I like it a bit warmer, but even 71°F was a problem.
summertime and bhrubin like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scented
Amanjena is neither tired, nor dated... and has very strong A/C. Although I think you would be best off at RM, all things considered.

Mandarin Oriental has had some A/C issues, at least last year they did. I like it a bit warmer, but even 71°F was a problem.
Jena is classic with AC that was working fine for me , that was years ago . Like at about 16 C / 60 F

As mentioned in another thread , bhrubin , Lorenzo B left Nusa as it was about closing to Jena . He is rather fabulous in the kitchen , was in Istanbul prior to Nusa in the opening team at a top French restaurant . Was in Italy before that , where he is from , & think Paris too .
He was going to revamp the kitchen / menus ? at Jena and was shocked at the meals when he arrived end February .

Waiting to hear from those staying at Jena soon for an update , enjoy !!
callmedtop and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 9, 2018 at 8:58 am Reason: iPad typo
Old May 7, 2018, 1:28 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I think @bhrubin should stay at both (or rather, ALL) and give us reports!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:00 am

Will report back next month! Very curious re Jena cuisine now.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Interesting that there isn’t agreement on food experience at these top end hotels.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by beachfan; May 8, 2018 at 10:16 pm
Old May 8, 2018, 11:13 pm

I was at Amanjena second half of March 2018 and we had not a single concern regarding the food. Had dinners in the Japanese restaurant and in the Moroccan, both were good to very good.
summertime likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:16 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Will report back next month! Very curious re Jena cuisine now.
We're staying at Jena right now. Lorenzo is great, very eager to improve standards. The F&B manager is about to leave, they need replacement urgently.
Food is already improved compared to last year, both at the Moroccan restaurant and at Nama. Better quality, better presentation.
They will renovate the pool kitchen and introduce Arva concept in the pool area.
Breakfast is buffet style for the time being (due to staff shortage/training issues in the kitchen). This is supposed to change as soon as possible.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:56 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Heading to Jena and MO in 4 weeks...was worried about F&B but so gladly to see it's already improving at Jena!
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Now, if anyone can tell me that the air con works much better at one over the other, that’s a different story.
We had some problems with the a/c at MO Marrakech, and could never get the bedroom cool enough. No such issues at all with Royal Mansour. It sounds to me like you should opt for RM -- adjacent to the medina, and probably more reliable in terms of hardware performance, even if I had a much better experience at MO.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 2:52 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Heading to Jena and MO in 4 weeks...was worried about F&B but so gladly to see it's already improving at Jena!
Your mission, if you choose to accept it, will be to test the air con in the riads/villas at Jena and MO (and hopefully somehow at Royal Monsour, as well) and report back to me here! The true test is whether those can hold a temperature of 18-19 C even during the hottest times of year. You’ll have my eternal appreciation.

If you also can dine at each so you also can reflect on F&B and overall service, everyone else and I will be grateful.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:27 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, will be to test the air con in the riads/villas at Jena and MO (and hopefully somehow at Royal Monsour, as well) and report back to me here! The true test is whether those can hold a temperature of 18-19 C even during the hottest times of year. You’ll have my eternal appreciation.

If you also can dine at each so you also can reflect on F&B and overall service, everyone else and I will be grateful.
Happy to accept the mission! Now, if my Mac self-destructs within the next 5 seconds, I will have a bone to pick with you
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:32 am

we live for allready 8years in the south off marocco and always travel by maraks airport
We have tried severall hotels in the city
problems were groups of tourist visiting maraks /tourgroups /bed breakfast buffets and so on
Since a year we become regulars to pulman palmeraie
big aerea/garden with different types of villas
good buffets
transfers from /to busstation /airport .200 dh one way
we are happy with it
kees
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:10 pm
formerly htang333

Anyone having troubles with uploading images on this thread?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:30 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Anyone having troubles with uploading images on this thread?
Alright, a bit late on this but here's my high level review of Amanjena from my visit in June...Occupancy level was between 45 - 65% throughout our stay.

Okay, first thing first....The AC was fine for us...we kept it in-between 20 - 22 C and it had no problems at all. Actually got a bit cold at night and had to turn it off. I'm sure it can easily go lower for those who need it.
Thought June might be a bit too hot but it was amazingly nice. The Moroccan dry heat felt much better than what we're used to in June. I was out in the sun for a 4 hour tour and didn't break a sweat, that was a first! #winning

The resort itself was gorgeous and consistent with the Aman brand. There's a sense of place and yet you know you are being embraced by an Aman.

We were assigned the Maison Jardin. Basically, a two-bedroom, duplex house with a pool and garden. It was almost too large for our needs but it worked out perfectly as anytime I was in trouble with my wife, I had my own bedroom to retrieve to. I've never been so fearless on a holiday! Everything within our Maison and the general property was extremely well kept. The flower peddles in our two fountains were changed daily, I'm pretty sure. We did catch the housekeeping team once but aside from that, it was a proper Aman. No names or room # were asked, the entirety of our stay. The service throughout was fabulous. Especially at the main pool. Whenever we approached, the chairs were setup immediately, along with ice/water and shading. The staff came around to hang our shirts, hats, and offered micro fiber cloth for our sun glasses!

GM - Nicolas, was always out and about, checking in on guests and discussing matters with the Jena team. Very personable guy and I really enjoyed our long conversation about the industry, Aman brand and Jena, itself.
I think Nicolas is probably one of the best GMs I've had the pleasure of meeting and really liked the fact that he genuinely welcomes constructive feedback. He also seemed to have a pulse on how the perception of the Aman brand has changed (and continue to) amongst the loyal junkies. I think he really prefers the old Aman ethos and is keen to keep Jena more guest/serviced focused rather than just monetary. But these are just my interpretations.

Well aware of the fact that Jena needs to improve its food offerings, Nicolas was very open to any feedback I had for him and asked us often how the food was. Unfortunately for me, I dined at Nama, the onsite Japanese restaurant and actually got pretty sick (it tasted good on the way in, though. LOL!). To be completely fair, I can't say for 100% sure that it was Nama but I honestly can't imagine it's anything else as I know when I'm ill from food. So, just be a bit careful at Nama. Once they found out I was sick, they did everything they could to ensure I was comfortable and insisted on calling in a doctor for me but I declined as I just needed to sleep it off. 30 hours later, I was fine, more o-toro, please!
Aside from that, all of our other meals were actually very good. I'm not sure if it's due to the new (Italian) executive chef's handy work or what but we had great breakfast, Italian and Moroccan dishes. His homemade gnocchi was a hit with us.

The transfers were included in the rates and it's now via a Mercedes S500. I had heard it was previously a van or something less desirable.

Overall, we had a great stay! From a service perspective, this was one of the best Amans I've experienced. I did have a client visiting Jena just a week after my departure and they shared the same positive feedback and no one got sick, fortunately. Considering the rates for Jena in June/Summer, I'd say the value is fantastic!

Thanks for reading, here are some photos, view at your own risk!

Sorry these photos are scattered/oddly placed but I'm having trouble uploading images due to a "missing security token" error on FT so only managed to get a few random photos up...If interested in seeing more, it's on my site: https://www.besvisor.com/amanjena

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jul 6, 2018 at 5:30 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.