Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:01 am

First time visitor headed to Marrakech for five days over the holidays. Torn between Les Orangers and Amanjena. We plan to explore Marrakech and surrounds but also expect a fair amount of down time in the hotel. Leaning toward Amanjena because of space/amenities although Les Orangers seems to be more universally praised with fewer hiccups. Does Oranger's proximity to key locations make a major difference for touring? Does Oranger's small size make it feel claustrophobic if you spend a day just relaxing in the hotel?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by jja34-1
First time visitor headed to Marrakech for five days over the holidays. Torn between Les Orangers and Amanjena. We plan to explore Marrakech and surrounds but also expect a fair amount of down time in the hotel. Leaning toward Amanjena because of space/amenities although Les Orangers seems to be more universally praised with fewer hiccups. Does Oranger's proximity to key locations make a major difference for touring? Does Oranger's small size make it feel claustrophobic if you spend a day just relaxing in the hotel?
Basically riad vs. resort type of question.

I would always pick Amanjena, especially if decent pool, amenities and service come into play. Despite recent hick-ups Amanjena is special and you can get pretty good deals!
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by jja34-1
Originally Posted by scented
Basically riad vs. resort type of question.

I would always pick Amanjena, especially if decent pool, amenities and service come into play. Despite recent hick-ups Amanjena is special and you can get pretty good deals!
Amanjena !
Of course ..

How about extending so you can enjoy both ?

Be sure to have the Aman team arrange a private dinner & your " excursions " , they really take care of you . Do the impossible

Have a great time !!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Amanjena !
Of course ..
Being an Amanjunkie, in Marrakech I do NOT recommend Amanjena.

Because there is one very, very big architectural mistake:
Although having the beautiful Atlas mountains in front of the resort, you do not see one glimpse of it! You have to leave the resort, go on a little golf course hill, and only then you see it perfectly.

It would have been so easy to construct a rooftop restaurant with fantastic views! And at least some pavillions with Atlas View balconies. Why did they miss that?

But they choose to hide all the great views behind walls, walls, walls. So sad!

Even if it should be true, that the service declined a bit at MO Marrakech, I would book their Atlas view suites again in a minute. It's so spectacular, so amazing! I think also 2 or 3 other resorts have Atlas view rooms. Go for it, this view is hard to beat!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Being an Amanjunkie ' 89 , I would return to Amanjena ! But only when they have redone & sorted the new spa . Delayed as expected ..
Perhaps , they will have rooftops relaxation areas . Like at Sara

We had views of the Atlas Mountains but sadly , as deer says not from our private pavillons

Will the " designers "come to their senses ?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:59 pm

I love Ed's Jena design. Your comment regarding the views is valid, although you should consider privacy and also security. Seems like a trade off, as they don't have big, multi-level main structure -- which is refreshing.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:30 pm

Mandarin Oriental, Marrakech has a new exec chef, Salim Ait Ezzine, who is taking over from Meryem (effective immediately) for the important fall season in Marrakech. It appears they have decided to keep the name "Mes'Lalla" for their fine dining restaurant and it is still French-Moroccan fusion cuisine, albeit a bit more modern.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:00 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I think people here could cross off La Sultana for Marrakech. Wasn't really up to expectation for me. Service was really hit and miss - soaring highs from the manager/head concierge, real lows from F&B staff and spa. It is a stunningly beautiful property though and it's a shame as they really have an amazing hard product and some good staff. Gave lots of feedback on our last day which was well received and service recovery was good. Location is great. I, personally, would not stay out of the Medina in Marrakech - a Riad is definitely the way to go, just find the one that is right for you. We want to go back - three nights only really allowed a taste of the medina especially given the heat (40+ on one day). We visited Royal Mansour, it was really amazing and basically still in the Medina. We had a good meal here.

Also had good meals at Le Jardin (lunch), Le Tobsil (dinner, our favourite) and Comptoir Darna (this was fun, entertaining and had a good vibe upstairs after dinner - we ate downstairs).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by sydakllon
I think people here could cross off La Sultana for Marrakech. Wasn't really up to expectation for me. Service was really hit and miss - soaring highs from the manager/head concierge, real lows from F&B staff and spa. It is a stunningly beautiful property though and it's a shame as they really have an amazing hard product and some good staff. Gave lots of feedback on our last day which was well received and service recovery was good. Location is great. I, personally, would not stay out of the Medina in Marrakech - a Riad is definitely the way to go, just find the one that is right for you. We want to go back - three nights only really allowed a taste of the medina especially given the heat (40+ on one day). We visited Royal Mansour, it was really amazing and basically still in the Medina. We had a good meal here.

Also had good meals at Le Jardin (lunch), Le Tobsil (dinner, our favourite) and Comptoir Darna (this was fun, entertaining and had a good vibe upstairs after dinner - we ate downstairs).
How was Le Jardin? It was really special when I was there last time, but then they changed a few things from what I gather.

I think the discussion to stay in or outside the medina is deeply personal, as many people (including myself) want a bit more space and resort from the hustle of Moroccan daily life inside the Medina.

La Sultana has been downhill for a number of years now and I think right now is the time where many of the resorts are either going downmarket to 4* or show their excellence. I think a number of properties could potentially be deflagged/changed, while others go from high to high.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:19 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by scented
How was Le Jardin? It was really special when I was there last time, but then they changed a few things from what I gather.

I think the discussion to stay in or outside the medina is deeply personal, as many people (including myself) want a bit more space and resort from the hustle of Moroccan daily life inside the Medina.

La Sultana has been downhill for a number of years now and I think right now is the time where many of the resorts are either going downmarket to 4* or show their excellence. I think a number of properties could potentially be deflagged/changed, while others go from high to high.
I liked Le Jardin but wouldn't necessarily rave about it - was good for lunch while we were wandering around with our guide. The setting/atmosphere is more memorable than the food I guess.

Agree it's personal re riad vs resort. I think next trip we'd do riad for a few nights to spend some time again in the medina and then perhaps a resort to relax and see area around. One good thing about La Sultana was our suite was very big and given it is a combination of 5 riads, there is actually quite a bit of space and areas to relax.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:47 pm

Has anyone been to the Selman? I haven't seen any mention of it here, but pictures look very nice.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: LHW membership
Talking Birthday in Marrakech

Well, luckily myself and MacMyDay will be spending a few nights at the Royal Mansour and Amanjena in November. Brace yourself Royal Mansour, you better stock up on Haribos and Candy Kittens.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Dorsia
Well, luckily myself and MacMyDay will be spending a few nights at the Royal Mansour and Amanjena in November. Brace yourself Royal Mansour, you better stock up on Haribos and Candy Kittens.
Hope you celebrate that birthday with a glamourous evening in Amanjena's Caidal tent? We did that and it was magical...

Especially recommend the Andalusian trio to accompany (plus camel, belly dancers, etc.).
FlyerEC and vuittonsofstyle like this.

Last edited by scented; Oct 31, 2017 at 10:47 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Dorsia
Did this combination myself last year and highly recommend it. Royal Mansour was the primary reason for the visit, but Amanjena was a breath of fresh air after being surrounded by all the extravagance at Royal Mansour.

If you haven't already, check out the recent BBC special on Royal Mansour. It really helps you appreciate what they are trying to achieve here.

http://ihavenotv.com/royal-mansour-m...yond-the-lobby
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: LHW membership
If you haven't already, check out the recent BBC special on Royal Mansour. It really helps you appreciate what they are trying to achieve here.

http://ihavenotv.com/royal-mansour-m...yond-the-lobby[/QUOTE]

We are very cheeky, as the birthday is on the 20th November, we are checking out of Amanjena on the 20th, transferring to Royal Mansour on the same day. This means double celebration, double cake, double trouble

As for the documentary, we saw it a few months ago, absolutely stunning. One of my friends stayed there and ranked it as his TOP property ever. It worths mentioning that he is a hotel inspector.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.