Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Old May 15, 17, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Hopefully they figure this out soon, given that I cancelled the booking I had at the MO (now only much higher room categories available that I am not interested in for this trip) and my FS booking will soon be within the penalty period for cancellation. Even if they do resolve this issue soon, I can't imagine that suddenly everything flips back to normal and there are no after effects.
Old May 15, 17, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
2015 in particular was busy year for jena and aman >
jena - closed for 4 months, and replaced most of staff ?
yara - replaced a lot of management with external hires
puri - GM fired, external hired, and staff departures ?

is tourism (still) down in morocco? lots of new supply
Oversupply is a huge problem, tourism on the rise (again).

The total number of tourists who visited Morocco in March was 762,562, an increase of 3.7 percent compared to the same period last year, said the Ministry of Tourism, Air Transport, Handicraft and Social Economy in a communiqué on Wednesday.
The ministry said that nightly stays in high-class residences reached approximately 1.76 million, marking an increase of 18.1 percent compared to the same period of last year.
Source: Click

Originally Posted by troyb View Post
Hopefully they figure this out soon, given that I cancelled the booking I had at the MO (now only much higher room categories available that I am not interested in for this trip) and my FS booking will soon be within the penalty period for cancellation. Even if they do resolve this issue soon, I can't imagine that suddenly everything flips back to normal and there are no after effects.
I would keep the FS booking (for now), until you receive feedback from Nicolas. Have you messaged him? This situation could easily go one way or another, hard to tell from the outside. Let us know what you hear from them!
Old May 15, 17, 5:23 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

More on this guys profile
http://instagram.com/kitchen_aman
Old May 16, 17, 8:22 am

Amanjena strike extended until May 31 apparently.
Old May 16, 17, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
More on this guys profile
http://instagram.com/kitchen_aman
Worth following just for the strike video with Hasta Siempre Comandante as background music!

To be fair, I remember posing the question once whether working at Aman (with the vagarious requests that I assume one is faced when he works there) is better than other companies....there was silence and eyes rolled.
Old May 18, 17, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by scented View Post
Amanjena strike extended until May 31 apparently.
Where did you hear this and has anything changed since then? Must be pretty bad out there.
Old May 18, 17, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyb View Post
Where did you hear this and has anything changed since then? Must be pretty bad out there.
web reservations blocked through may 31
Old May 19, 17, 3:48 am

web reservations blocked through may 31
Yes, a friend confirmed it as well. Could be sooner or later though, difficult dynamics.
Old May 22, 17, 9:26 am

Yes, a friend confirmed it as well. Could be sooner or later though, difficult dynamics.
Looks like they've blocked reservations through mid-June now. Bummer, after everything I was really looking forward to staying there. Aside from Amanbagh - has this happened at other Amans (or even other luxury properties)?
Old May 22, 17, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes. also remember aman corporate (including 50% ownership of jena) sold early 2014.

Palais Namaskar? Apparently the developer and owner of the property, Philippe Soulier, sold it last year and the new owner terminated the management contract with Oetker collection. From what I gather, throughout this transitional period reservations were not honored and people were stranded in the airport, looking for alternative accommodation. Then, later, reports emerged that all employees went on strike, so they threw out all guests while employees gathered in front of the hotel.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
Ex GM, Michael Payne had a traumatic time at OORR and left after, allegedly, being attacked and stabbed by staff around a year ago. I have heard about this from numerous people.
maldivestourismupdate.com/2008/11/one-reethi-rah-strike-cracked-down-by.html
minivannewsarchive.com/society/resort-workers-union-concerned-over-police-detention-of-executive-committee-members-58638

PH paris (outsourced housekeeping prior to 2013) >
independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/french-chambermaids-strike-over-pay-8837497.html
Raffles Paris and 2nd at PH >
thelocal.fr/20141022/paris-luxury-hotel-staff-strike-for-better-wages
ndtv.com/world-news/one-by-one-paris-luxury-hotels-hit-by-strikes-for-better-pay-682764

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 22, 17 at 9:56 am
Old May 22, 17, 10:08 am

This episode at Amanjena is far from over... horrified. May is a busier month before summer heat kicks and rates go down, so this must be a lot of lost revenue. Also as staff is heavily posting on YouTube and Instagram, PR damage must be huge -- wouldn't be surprised if they already put a number on it. The internet rarely forgets and these posts will be there for a long time. Nothing is more damaging when their magical image of a 1001 nights paradise is shattered by the reality of a disgruntled team.
Old May 22, 17, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how much of jena staff was replaced in 2015?
(in other words, are a lot of current staff new?)
second closure/replacement, for residences?

yara/puri didnt seem to be staff replacements

edit - thanks again for the updates scented
and may explain some communication issues

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 22, 17 at 10:51 am
Old May 22, 17, 10:19 am

how much of jena staff was replaced in 2015?
in other words are a lot of current staff new?
another closure/replacement for residences?

yara/puri didnt seem to be staff replacements
Can't put a number on it, but they replaced a lot of staff. These days, also a lot of new management positions filled from other resorts (think FS, MO). For example their current F&B director is a very nice gentleman who used to work at FS under Felix Murillo. He then switched to Jena after their renovation. Only a few handful remain from the old crew.

But... I hear something's up now, can't post much here sadly.
Old May 22, 17, 4:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Can't put a number on it, but they replaced a lot of staff. These days, also a lot of new management positions filled from other resorts (think FS, MO). For example their current F&B director is a very nice gentleman who used to work at FS under Felix Murillo. He then switched to Jena after their renovation. Only a few handful remain from the old crew.

But... I hear something's up now, can't post much here sadly.
Yes , very sad .
We are planning on returning as it has been more than a decade and with renovations & FDW ' s & others reports , sounded a good time to stay .
Shall hold horses now .
Return to others first .

The old team were good .
Well , what Aman service can we expect now ??
Depends on which MO they come from - HK , BKK will be best
Old May 23, 17, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
Yes , very sad .
We are planning on returning as it has been more than a decade and with renovations & FDW ' s & others reports , sounded a good time to stay .
Shall hold horses now .
Return to others first .

The old team were good .
Well , what Aman service can we expect now ??
Depends on which MO they come from - HK , BKK will be best
I would wait for the situation to be resolved as well, FlyerEC, but -- honestly, when I was there this April the team delivered a very intuitive Aman experience. I was surprised. It was exactly what I have come to expect. No sign of trouble back then! Astrid K helped me put together a beautiful evening in the Caidal Tent and every staff member was very caring...

Search this Thread