Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Old Apr 22, 17, 12:14 pm

Did anyone see the extraordinary BBC programme about the Royal Mansour broadcast this week? Hosted by journalist Giles Coren and chef Monica Galetti, this hour-long show was riveting, showing the hotel in great detail and charting its transition from 'Palace annexe into super hotel.' The programme's depiction of the staff, from the GM to the women in the kitchens to the butler Mohammed was totally eye-opening. And because the hotel is owned by the Royal family with a limitless budget the extravagance was overwhelming. But it seems they opened some years ago thinking that a group of intensely private riads would be sufficient but latterly realised they had to become a hotel, with gardens and a pool. A great programme worth searching for and it's part of a six-part series called Amazing Hotels: Life Beyond the Lobby.
Old Apr 24, 17, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Did anyone see the extraordinary BBC programme about the Royal Mansour broadcast this week? Hosted by journalist Giles Coren and chef Monica Galetti, this hour-long show was riveting, showing the hotel in great detail and charting its transition from 'Palace annexe into super hotel.' The programme's depiction of the staff, from the GM to the women in the kitchens to the butler Mohammed was totally eye-opening. And because the hotel is owned by the Royal family with a limitless budget the extravagance was overwhelming. But it seems they opened some years ago thinking that a group of intensely private riads would be sufficient but latterly realised they had to become a hotel, with gardens and a pool. A great programme worth searching for and it's part of a six-part series called Amazing Hotels: Life Beyond the Lobby.
I did - the whole series has been great, and this episode was notable also for Giles Coren not being as childish as usual. He seemed genuinely touched by his butler's dedication to his family and his job. I thought the hotel manager was a cool guy also.
Old Apr 25, 17, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
Any recent experiences at La Villas de Orangers? Trying to decide between it, the Aman, and MO. Thank you!
Well, it looks like Amanjena is off the list. After almost 1 1/2 weeks of back and forth between myself, my agent (Citi Prestige for the fourth night free, which is too good to pass up) and the hotel, I'm giving up. Apparently the hotel couldn't process/authorize a charge on my card to confirm the reservation and can't seem to figure out a way to get it booked. On top of that, the folks at Citi said the hotel was a little nasty to them over the phone as they were trying to resolve the issue. I feel like if they can't get this right, it's probably downhill from here.

Now my options are down to the FS and MO at approx. EUR 300 and EUR 500 per night, respectively (after Citi's rebate). I am holding a reservation at Villas de Orangers but think we would prefer a resort over a riad for this trip.

Any specific thoughts on the Atlas Suite at the MO? Seems pretty nice for a base room.
Old Apr 26, 17, 3:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Well, it looks like Amanjena is off the list. After almost 1 1/2 weeks of back and forth between myself, my agent (Citi Prestige for the fourth night free, which is too good to pass up) and the hotel, I'm giving up. Apparently the hotel couldn't process/authorize a charge on my card to confirm the reservation and can't seem to figure out a way to get it booked. On top of that, the folks at Citi said the hotel was a little nasty to them over the phone as they were trying to resolve the issue. I feel like if they can't get this right, it's probably downhill from here.

Now my options are down to the FS and MO at approx. EUR 300 and EUR 500 per night, respectively (after Citi's rebate). I am holding a reservation at Villas de Orangers but think we would prefer a resort over a riad for this trip.

Any specific thoughts on the Atlas Suite at the MO? Seems pretty nice for a base room.
Very very strange.... I don't want to blame Citi here (because I use them a lot) but I have found their agents capabilities to vary a lot...Did you contact Amanjena directly- when I made a reservation, my agent made initial contact and took care of all the details but Amanjena sent me the credit card authorization form (I know, old school). I filled it out and sent it back to authorize the charge, finalizing the reservation.... so it wasn't something that I could accomplish fully over the phone.... the GM at Amanjena, Nicolas is very very responsive so maybe consider bringing him in into the loop.....

Though I can understand if you want to move on... I looked at the MO as well.. I would definitely stay in a pool villa there if your budget allows.. they are simply stunning...

FDW
Old Apr 26, 17, 4:32 am

Do let Nicolas know... I very much doubt he wouldn't at least try to make it right! Must be a technical glitch, surely.
Old May 7, 17, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by scented View Post
Do let Nicolas know... I very much doubt he wouldn't at least try to make it right! Must be a technical glitch, surely.
Unfortunately, the series of errors continued. I wrote a brief email and asked that it be forwarded to the GM. I was promised a response but never received one from him, just lots of back and forth and excuses with reservations. I can't bring myself to stay there.

I don't think I've ever had so much difficulty deciding where to stay - so many seemingly great options, each with their own pros/cons.
Old May 7, 17, 3:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Unfortunately, the series of errors continued. I wrote a brief email and asked that it be forwarded to the GM. I was promised a response but never received one from him, just lots of back and forth and excuses with reservations. I can't bring myself to stay there.

I don't think I've ever had so much difficulty deciding where to stay - so many seemingly great options, each with their own pros/cons.
Originally Posted by scented View Post
Pity you did not email Nicolas directly .
It likely was not forwarded to him , it will just highlight their in competence .

Aman GMs , especially the veterans , will respond expediently if in town . If not the HM / RM will .
Hope you do get to experience Jena
Old May 7, 17, 4:47 pm

One would imagine that the GMs of Luxury hotels would monitor this forum!
Old May 7, 17, 8:59 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG

Get in contact with Nicholas directly to help sort this.

Alternatively, if you're looking at a particular room type, contact one of the Virtuoso agents here and get them to get you an upgrade at the time of booking to it by booking one level below or work some way around that so it covers the 4th night free.

Either way, let Nicholas know of this issue, or get the agent to do it. They'll sort you out.
Old May 9, 17, 4:16 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm staying at Amanjena right now, and very happy with this decision. It's so personal and calm, great staff and Nicholas is a perfect Aman GM. Food is excellent - they have the Executive Chef of Amanruya here now, and he is very open to requests. The property is in very good shape despite it's 17 years of age. Only weak point is housekeeping, which is not as invisible as it should be...
Old May 9, 17, 6:24 am
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

That is a complete shame. I would think that that email never made it to Nicolas, which is inexcusable. It's very very disappointing to hear about your experiences with reservations. Just to clarify is this with central reservations or Amanjenas department? The agents I've dealt with with their in house department were great as well; at least two years ago...

Originally Posted by vienna-resident View Post
I'm staying at Amanjena right now, and very happy with this decision. It's so personal and calm, great staff and Nicholas is a perfect Aman GM. Food is excellent - they have the Executive Chef of Amanruya here now, and he is very open to requests. The property is in very good shape despite it's 17 years of age. Only weak point is housekeeping, which is not as invisible as it should be...
Nicolas is excellent. He's my current go to for any question re: Aman. I'm at Amanera right now and so far it's been a fantastic stay but there has been no sign of the new GM, Xavier Moulin. I don't even know what he looks like though. The F and B manager came from Amanyara and is excellent though.

Housskeeping st Amanjena wasn't quite ninjas as well when we were there. I think the design of the hotel is pretty compact and there just aren't those little side or back areas for them to navigate; leaving them to use the main paths.

Hope you you have a great stay. Is the Japanese restaurant good? It was fairly new and limited when were there...

fdw
Old May 9, 17, 7:36 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Have a great time!
Old May 9, 17, 7:56 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
That is a complete shame. I would think that that email never made it to Nicolas, which is inexcusable. It's very very disappointing to hear about your experiences with reservations. Just to clarify is this with central reservations or Amanjenas department? The agents I've dealt with with their in house department were great as well; at least two years ago...

Nicolas is excellent. He's my current go to for any question re: Aman. I'm at Amanera right now and so far it's been a fantastic stay but there has been no sign of the new GM, Xavier Moulin. I don't even know what he looks like though. The F and B manager came from Amanyara and is excellent though.

Housskeeping st Amanjena wasn't quite ninjas as well when we were there. I think the design of the hotel is pretty compact and there just aren't those little side or back areas for them to navigate; leaving them to use the main paths.

Hope you you have a great stay. Is the Japanese restaurant good? It was fairly new and limited when were there...

fdw
the Japanese restaurant is very good! It's a bit like a mini-Zuma, with an open kitchen with counter seating. They have 2 Japanese chefs (one of them borrowed from Puri) making starters and operating the robata grill and a Moroccan chef who makes sushi, including some very creative rolls. They'll update the interior of the dining area in a next step, but I think the concept works very well.

I hope there is a good reason that the GM at Amanera hasn't yet presented himself. A good Aman stay for me includes getting to know all the key people in the first 24 hrs. Unfortunately, some of the new external-hire GMs prefer to stay in their offices.
Old May 9, 17, 10:05 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG
I hope there is a good reason that the GM at Amanera hasn't yet presented himself. A good Aman stay for me includes getting to know all the key people in the first 24 hrs. Unfortunately, some of the new external-hire GMs prefer to stay in their offices.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. They (the GMs) do, however, do a lot more 'sales trips' than they used to. Like a LOT - hence why you may never see the GM.
Old May 9, 17, 5:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
I'm not sure that's entirely true. They (the GMs) do, however, do a lot more 'sales trips' than they used to. Like a LOT - hence why you may never see the GM.
the Japanese restaurant is very good! It's a bit like a mini-Zuma, with an open kitchen with counter seating. They have 2 Japanese chefs (one of them borrowed from Puri) making starters and operating the robata grill and a Moroccan chef who makes sushi, including some very creative rolls. They'll update the interior of the dining area in a next step, but I think the concept works very well.

+1
It ' s rather ridiculous the amount of sales trips the GMs do these days . The regional sales teams used to be the ones doing the " sales trips " & the GMs went only for certain trips . Long ago , these were unnecessary & did not even surface .

If the GM is not around , a strong HM or F & B has always helped to smooth our stays . The GM emails us prior to let us know his absence . We often know the Aman family / team

So glad vienna-resident is having a refreshing time .
We look forward to returning to Jena , it has been more than a decade now .

The Nemu chefs were fabulous too , as were our corresponding meals
Helps to have an Aman veteran as GM

Search this Thread