Search

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Marrakesh weather this year is strange... in early May at Amanjena we lit the fireplace everyday and spent our days inside with heating on because it was to cold and uncomfortable to be outside...
Even now, temperatures are below 40 during daytime and below 20 at night.
You give me hope...
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Another excellent luxury hotel thread. Thank you one and all. First Marrakech visit coming up early October.

After narrowing between Royal Mansour and Amanjena for my five nights, I booked into the latter via FHR, in part because of a 4/3 deal that brought the effective rate down well below €600/nt for the 175sqm Pavilion Basin room and in part because the only accommodation available on the RM website was a 3BR villa--a bit large for a solo traveller.

Despite a taste for finer places, I was reluctant to book this Aman as my only prior experience at one--January 2016 @ Amanusa--wasn't especially stellar in terms of either service or accommodation. Perhaps part of the problem was being bowled over in both regards at the brand new Mandapa just previously. In any event, should one of you regulars be willing to PM me with the contact info for Amanjena's GM, I would be pleased to introduce myself and note my awareness of his many fans here in this forum.

Beyond that, most of my trips have a culinary focus. A nice hotel meal or two is fine, but I do enjoy mixing it right up in the middle of main part of town for well-prepared local food. If that's possible for a non-French or Arabic speaker, I would appreciate your recommendations... either for places to try or guides who really know their stuff.

The only other question is regarding a possible day trip to the coast. It looks, frankly, like getting to Essaouira is kind of a pain...no train and 2.5 hour drive. Alternative ideas?

Appreciate the help, once again, as my planning has lagged.. I've been spending a lot of time recently working on a couple other upcoming trips (return to Tokyo plus first visit to Osaka) early September and next week's last blast of summer in London and Amsterdam with the daughter before sending her back to college.

Last edited by mczlaw; Aug 5, 2018 at 8:57 am
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:04 am

early okt temperature is a bit lower then
alternative close by is majorelle, fitna square
ourika valley
waterfalls of ouzoud a bit further away
food
marocans always say the best food is made bij familie
we live here allready 8 years and its trough
advice iff you want a tajine the best will take 2 hours off more off slow cooking
nice tajines chicken almonds /chicken prunes and egg /tajine koffte/berberpizza ingredients and taste depending city and cook .
itsa pity that you stay short otherwise i could give you a tour in my village
its round 7 hours driving south passing quarzazate [moviestudios ]
greetings
kees
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:38 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Another excellent luxury hotel thread. Thank you one and all. First Marrakech visit coming up early October.

After narrowing between Royal Mansour and Amanjena for my five nights, I booked into the latter via FHR, in part because of a 4/3 deal that brought the effective rate down well below €600/nt for the 175sqm Pavilion Basin room and in part because the only accommodation available on the RM website was a 3BR villa--a bit large for a solo traveller.

Despite a taste for finer places, I was reluctant to book this Aman as my only prior experience at one--January 2016 @ Amanusa--wasn't especially stellar in terms of either service or accommodation. Perhaps part of the problem was being bowled over in both regards at the brand new Mandapa just previously. In any event, should one of you regulars be willing to PM me with the contact info for Amanjena's GM, I would be pleased to introduce myself and note my awareness of his many fans here in this forum.

Beyond that, most of my trips have a culinary focus. A nice hotel meal or two is fine, but do enjoy mixing it right up in the middle of main part of town for well-prepared local food. If that's possible for a non-French or Arabic speaker, I would appreciate your recommendations... either for places to try or guides who really know their stuff.

The only other question is regarding a possible day trip to the coast. It looks, frankly, like getting to Essaouira is kind of a pain...no train and 2.5 hour drive. Alternative ideas?

Appreciate the help, once again, as my planning has lagged.. I've been spending a lot of time recently working on a couple other upcoming trips (return to Tokyo plus first visit to Osaka) early September and next week's last blast of summer in London and Amsterdam with the daughter before sending her back to college.
You can't really go wrong at Amanjena, although far from the best Aman you will find, the rooms and property are very good.

One warning that I assume you already are aware of is that Jena is well outside of town. It is about a 15-20 minute drive and taxis are not as cheap as one would expect. I think they charge 200-250MAD from Jena into town. Coming back should be able to get it for a little less.

I believe Nicolas Ilickovic is still the GM there. Nicolas is an Aman vet and should take good care of you.

I do not know the city well enough to make dining recs but there are plentiful options in the city so I assume others can chime in.
BESVISOR likes this.

Last edited by A4K; Aug 5, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:18 am

Please don’t post GM contact details publicly for the sake of all of us. Use PM.

Don’t think location really matters in Marrakech.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:53 am

I am currently staying at Amanjena in Maison Jardin #42 . The Jardin is actually not so large and it is almost fully paved so no grass, but it is most private and the swimming pool is great, even better than the one of Maison Al Hamra. I am trying to put some pictures but it seems I am definitely not a geek. Which hosting site shall I use?

May be the Instagram link works?

FlyerEC, scented and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

presumably other maison jardin has more space? 2 or 4? (2 or 4 maison without jardin)

Originally Posted by pinpin
I went directly to Livio (the GM, ex GM of sveti Stefan, marvellous guy) to see if any of the Maison jardins were available. He told me Number 11 and 10 were available and took me there to see both. 11 apparently has the largest garden among maison jardins and it was so nice. It had two dining tables in the garden, (in front of the pool and in front of the fireplace next to the maison), a butler's pantry behind the fireplace and the same gazebo in the corner of the garden. This maison can also be connected to a pavillion without a pool.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 12, 2018 at 12:41 pm
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Hi;

I'll be at the Farimont, I thought 2000 MAD RT for transport for 5 people in a Mercedes Viano to town for dinner was pretty steep (especially since I'll be going to Marjorelle in the AM, which will be a separate 2000), but if things are 200-250 one way for a cab into town (and will need two cabs), maybe it's worth it?

Thoughts?

Anyone have recommendations on an SUV and driver for the day if the hotel price is high vs. the market?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I normally am pretty strict about no raw food in places I can't drink the water. Sometimes I let up a little on the last couple of days.However, the Morrocan cuisine seems pretty heavy on the salads as starters, which normally I love

Have have you folks with delicate stomachs handled salad at dinners at the upscale places like the high end ones La Mamounia (la Marocain), Royal Mansour (le grand table Marocaine), Fairmont (Al Ain)? (I will also be dining at Al Fasia.). Any misfortune.

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 9, 2018 at 6:49 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:18 am

Not sure why you think you can’t drink the water in Marrakech? Never had any problems whatsoever and I am usually very sensitive to such things.

Refresh my memory where you will be staying again? Never had problems at Jena or FS. I found the Moroccan water to be quite soft, easy on the hair too.

I would encourage you to try various styles of Moroccan salads.

Lorenzo B at Jena did the best Italian salads I tried so far, still dreaming of his version of a Sicilian salad with grapefruits and oranges.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:16 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by beachfan
I normally am pretty strict about no raw food in places I can't drink the water. Sometimes I let up a little on the last couple of days.However, the Morrocan cuisine seems pretty heavy on the salads as starters, which normally I love

Have have you folks with delicate stomachs handled salad at dinners at the upscale places like the high end ones La Mamounia (la Marocain), Royal Mansour (le grand table Marocaine), Fairmont (Al Ain)? (I will also be dining at Al Fasia.). Any misfortune.
Just had dinner at Le Grande Table Marocaine. It was exquisite and one of the highlights of our trip.
scented and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by scented
Not sure why you think you can’t drink the water in Marrakech? Never had any problems whatsoever and I am usually very sensitive to such things.

Refresh my memory where you will be staying again? Never had problems at Jena or FS. I found the Moroccan water to be quite soft, easy on the hair too.

I would encourage you to try various styles of Moroccan salads.

Lorenzo B at Jena did the best Italian salads I tried so far, still dreaming of his version of a Sicilian salad with grapefruits and oranges.
If you google the question then all the articles that come up say "don't drink the tap water" because the local bacteria in the water, while safe, may cause stomach distress if you aren't used to it. Similarly "don't eat the salads". There are always some blog entries that say "I never have a problem" but I find those entries for everyplace (except for perhaps India). I have gotten sick in Morocco before, one of my worse bouts (two days of 103 degree fever) when I visited Tangier about 20 years ago (only ate in the hotel restaurant and in the ferry over from Spain).

Here's a typical article:
https://theculturetrip.com/africa/mo...nk-in-morocco/

I'll be staying at the Fairmont Royal Palm and eating there as well as the places I mentioned.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
Just had dinner at Le Grande Table Marocaine. It was exquisite and one of the highlights of our trip.
Did you eat the salad?

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Did you eat the salad?

Thanks!
I did and it was perfectly fine, as were the salads at Amanjena, Four Seasons Marrakech, Royal Palm, Villa des Orangers, Royal Mansour, Mandarin Oriental Marrakech etc etc.
scented, bhrubin and BESVISOR like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
We have the tasting menu which included salad type items but I didn't have a whole salad. My husband and I were fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.