Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Old Nov 5, 17, 10:51 am

Is Amanjena still understaffed? Multiple emails to them have gone completely ignored, which is raising a red flag for me. Should a response even be expected once the waiting period is past a week? This is for very basic questions too.
Old Nov 5, 17, 11:04 am
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller View Post
Is Amanjena still understaffed? Multiple emails to them have gone completely ignored, which is raising a red flag for me. Should a response even be expected once the waiting period is past a week? This is for very basic questions too.
First, I’d make sure your email address is a valid one. Then I’d re-send but to multiple email addresses (including a general corporate email address) to ensure receipt. If that doesn’t work, I’d contact corporate via telephone and ask for the GM to call you or not bother to book for the time being.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 5, 17 at 11:51 am
Old Nov 5, 17, 11:08 am
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Nicolas is great and has always been really responsive. Ild try him. However heís currently at Amanpuri in the Aman retreat so there might be a bit of a delay.

Fdw
Old Nov 5, 17, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller View Post
Staff levels should be OK now... I second the advice bhrubin and FlyingDoctorwu gave you. Try different channels and escalate.

I wouldn't worry about it for now!
Old Nov 18, 17, 3:29 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scented View Post
Staff levels should be OK now... I second the advice bhrubin and FlyingDoctorwu gave you. Try different channels and escalate.

I wouldn't worry about it for now!
we recently stayed at Amanjena and we loved it, this is our 3rd stay there and the team and service could not have been better. Nicolas was away so we missed him this time but the new assistant Petar that replaced Astrid is really charming and very attentive, I can see he has learned the aman way very quickly.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 18, 17, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by summertime View Post
we recently stayed at Amanjena and we loved it, this is our 3rd stay there and the team and service could not have been better. Nicolas was away so we missed him this time but the new assistant Petar that replaced Astrid is really charming and very attentive, I can see he has learned the aman way very quickly.
I have met Petar and he arrived around the time of the strike. I agree he is great to talk to and while he is relatively new to Aman, he has tons of hospitality experience! I am glad is sticking around to ensure smooth operations.

Delighted you had a wonderful 3rd stay!
summertime and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 22, 17, 5:02 am

I shall just dump some quick thoughts and photos in from having stayed at Royal Mansour and Amanjena.

First of all, they are both great hotels, whether compared against other Marrakech properties or worldwide, but that is about all they share in common. Royal Mansour is probably the most spectacular design I have ever seen. It is like the designer(s?) was permanently in a state of climax, as their love of the work is on show over every square inch. You really do have to see it. Amanjena is also beautiful, but more from the simplicity and space of it.

The biggest issue with Royal Mansour is that it's a three-storey house and deciding whether to go upstairs to get something probably takes just as long as going to get it. I own a three-storey house and I already hate the daily commute to the kitchen, so would rather avoid replicating it elsewhere. Amanjena was far more cosy (especially when the fire was lit) and offered a true outdoor experience with a heated pool, whilst Royal Mansour offered a small rooftop area with freezing plunge pool and frequently non-existent Internet access. The downstairs was so dark that I had to use a tripod during daylight to take photos, so we never wanted to spend anytime down there. This forces you out of the room and into the amazing rooms, pools and grounds of the property, which is not a bad thing, but I would rather have the option.

For Amanjena, the food was undoubtedly the weakness. A small buffet was available for breakfast, as if they are busy they do not allow you to order from the menu. Most strange. Yet dinners at the Japanese and Moroccan restaurants was like someone had just caught something and thrown it on the plate. If you stay here, be prepared to eat out.

Service was better at Royal Mansour, but I actually preferred it at Amanjena as it felt more relaxed and management were - as Aman's are known for - everywhere. Each one had moments of brilliance, followed by inexplainable moments of insanity. On my birthday at Royal Mansour, they kindly reminded me of my food allergies, that somehow included chocolate. If I were allergic to chocolate, I would not have made it this far; there would be little point in carrying on. I can see this as a great excuse for hoteliers to reduce my stay list down. I even corrected the waitress to tell her that was not true, and then she came out with a cake at the end of the meal and reminded me it was without chocolate.

Yet really the service shone through at both: Royal Mansour with such a perfect room setup and desire to please; Amanjena with offering free wine tasting, snacks and bringing out drinks without even asking.

I would rank my favourite Marrakech properties as:
  1. Amanjena
  2. Mandarin Oriental
  3. Royal Mansour

Old Nov 22, 17, 6:49 am

Thanks for your thoughts Macmyday. We stayed at Amanjena and loved it. Service was very good albeit this was before they had the uh strike. I found Nicolas to be an absolutely stellar GM. Agree that food was a weak spot; however; we found breakfast to be very good (though we always took it in room). Loved having a fire and the heated outdoor private pool was absolutely perfect (probably one of the best private pools weíve had!).

One other gripe would be the pool Madisonís are right next to each other so noise can carry I think....

fdw
Old Nov 22, 17, 7:09 am

Happy 31st birthday Tom. Three storey houses are good for the knees. I see you have now become a travel agent!
callmedtop and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Nov 22, 17 at 8:54 am
Old Nov 22, 17, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
Loved having a fire and the heated outdoor private pool was absolutely perfect (probably one of the best private pools weíve had!).
I'm still unable to find anywhere that beats Amangiri for a heated pool. I believe it went to 37C, yet the added sun made it feel well into the 40s. I still fondly remember my skin feeling like it was peeling as I stepped into it. Bliss.

Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Happy 31st birthday Tom. I see you have now become a travel agent!
Thanking you, kindly. Co-owner of the joint best company ever, i.e. I make the tea.
Old Nov 22, 17, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
I'm still unable to find anywhere that beats Amangiri for a heated pool. I believe it went to 37C, yet the added sun made it feel well into the 40s. I still fondly remember my skin feeling like it was peeling as I stepped into it. Bliss.
Were you in a room with a heated pool at Amangiri? We just had a regular room but the main pool was absolutely perfect.

Have you you been to Amangani? Iíve heard that pool has been heated quite nicely.

Fsw
Old Nov 22, 17, 7:47 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG
Happy birthday Tom, and congratulations on joining the other side
bhrubin and MacMyDay like this.
Old Nov 23, 17, 1:53 am

Were you in a room with a heated pool at Amangiri? We just had a regular room but the main pool was absolutely perfect.

Have you you been to Amangani? Iíve heard that pool has been heated quite nicely.
We did take the Pool Suite, but I really don't think it was worth the extra money, especially as all the main resorts pools are heated to 32C+. (Amanjena can go up to 30C, which I still find a bit too cool, whilst Royal Mansour has a massive hot tub in their spa that was ~32C). I was there 5 nights and could only stay in the pool suite for the first 3 due to availability, so moved to a standard room and never missed it. The stargazing lounge was a nice benefit of the Pool Suite, yet after sleeping there for just a few hours, I woke up to see a massive spider crawling across the wall. Subsequently, I decided that the outside was not for me and went back indoors.

Amangani is on my list as one of only 4 remaining Aman's that I'd like to go to. I just hope it's better than Amangiri was.
Old Nov 23, 17, 3:50 am

Arrow

[QUOTE=MacMyDay;29088683]

For Amanjena, the food was undoubtedly the weakness. A small buffet was available for breakfast, as if they are busy they do not allow you to order from the menu. Most strange. Yet dinners at the Japanese and Moroccan restaurants was like someone had just caught something and thrown it on the plate. If you stay here, be prepared to eat out.

/QUOTE]
Most strange, as I know they have a fabulous chef from aman Turkey there, maybe he was not around.
Old Nov 23, 17, 7:25 am

Thanks for your thoughts Macmyday. We stayed at Amanjena and loved it. Service was very good albeit this was before they had the uh strike. I found Nicolas to be an absolutely stellar GM. Agree that food was a weak spot; however; we found breakfast to be very good (though we always took it in room). Loved having a fire and the heated outdoor private pool was absolutely perfect (probably one of the best private pools weíve had!).

One other gripe would be the pool Madisonís are right next to each other so noise can carry I think....

fdw
Jumping into the thread (new contributor and relatively new to Amans).. I'm currently debating whether to spend 3 nights at the Royal Mansour or Amanjena for (sister's) birthday trip in mid Dec. My first experience with Aman was in Bali this summer (Dari and Kila) and found Dari to be a huge disappointment from the GM / service perspective while Kila was stunning across the board.

I am a bit worried about Amanjena as my email to the GM Nicolas (where I mentioned the birthday) received a formulaic response (copy/paste email; you should hire the tent) and absolutely no response since. In contrast, a similar email to the RM *reservation agent*, resulted in a far warmer and less 'sales-driven' response.

Thoughts?

Search this Thread