Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Da Nang/Hoi An Area Hotels

Old Oct 12, 2007, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM/3MM

I'm planning a trip next year to SE Asia, and was planning on getting some culture and beach time in the Da Nang/Hoi An/Hue area. Aside from the Nam Hai, are there any other upscale beach options? (I'm not interested in heading down to Nha Trang, as we've settled on the area of Vietnam as a destination.)

If the Nam Hai is the only game in town, does anyone know what the Virtuoso amenities are? Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I'm planning a trip next year to SE Asia, and was planning on getting some culture and beach time in the Da Nang/Hoi An/Hue area. Aside from the Nam Hai, are there any other upscale beach options? (I'm not interested in heading down to Nha Trang, as we've settled on the area of Vietnam as a destination.)

If the Nam Hai is the only game in town, does anyone know what the Virtuoso amenities are? Thanks.
The Furama on China Beach is a great place to stay. The Jr. Suites are situated in a better location than the full suites (second floor up a ramp as opposed to 4th, to the South away from the hustle of the main portion of the hotel).

The Infinity pool is very nice, service is very good and the food is on par with other 5* resorts.

I have stayed there a total of 29 nights in the last two years. I wouldn't go back if the service and location wasn't so good.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nam Hai >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710849
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both. The Virtuoso amenities don't seem to be that much different than what's available on their public site.

Greatam, since you have spent time in the area, how would you compare the Furama with the Nam Hai?

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Oct 12, 2007 at 1:03 pm Reason: additional comment
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are other comments on furama in this forum. i seem to recall them being mixed.

but then again i think only deer has been to nam hai so far.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:32 am

Greatam, since you have spent time in the area, how would you compare the Furama with the Nam Hai?
I have not stayed at the Nam Hai, although I been there a couple of times for drinks/food/meeting. I have business (international logistics) in Vietnam and Hoi Ann is not the place I need to be. I need to be around the container port.

IF you want total luxury, the Nam Hai is the place to stay. But again, for the difference in price, I don't think the Nam Hai expense is justified. The villas at Nam Hai are much larger than even the suites at the Furama. From comments made by local business associates, the Nam Hai set the rates to compete with the Ana Mandara.

However, the main focus of the enclave was sales/leases of villas. The "owned" rooms are then placed into a rental pool if the owners desire. The hotel portion had to be built due to Vietnamese laws about foreigners "owning" the villas and being able to rent them out. Another thing that really gets to my local business associates-the Nam Hai CLAIMS it is on China Beach. Well, the largest USA military installation (Army and Marines) was based in DaNang, 20 miles from Hoi An. And the Furama is on China Beach, the real one made famous by the TV show. If you leave the Furama and travel south on the road outside the hotel, you can still see lots of US military stuff.

I usually pay about $225.00 for an Ocean Studio at the Furama. I don't spend a lot of time around the pool, but I do go to the beach right outside my room every morning and either watch or participate with the locals in their exercise. There is an outside bar and service is VERY good. Room service is EXCELLENT and their business center has everything I need and very helpful attendants. I especially like the little beach bar in the evenings. Seems to be a gathering point. And the food in the Indochine is varied and delicious.

Your choice-do you want to be based south of Hoi An or do you want to be in Danang??? I guess that would be the first criteria.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:32 am
Original Poster

I think I'd probably want to be closer to Hoi An, based on what I've read. This is a leisure trip.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:48 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
A lot of tour companies use Life Resort b/c it is within walking distance of Hoi An
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I've been meaning to get to this place on one of my trips to Vietnam

http://www.hotels-in-vietnam.com/hot...inetamhai.html
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Not on the beach, but I really liked the Hotel Saigon Morin. It is a beautifully restored colonial hotel. Great wood and fabrics. Lovely breakfast in the courtyard. Totally charming. Not really four star service, but a wonderful experience. Highly recommended.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
I think I'd probably want to be closer to Hoi An, based on what I've read. This is a leisure trip.
Wise choice, as the Furama/Danang is a distance from town and you would probably spend most of your time in Hoi An anyway. I, for one, was not thrilled with the Furama and the daily back-and-forths to Hoi An.

I've never been, but what about the Victoria Hoi An? Like the Nam Hai, it has both proximity to Hoi An and being on the beach...
Old Oct 29, 2007, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, AAdvantage
Would any of these hotels be easily accessible from Siem Reap (either flight or overland)? I really like the looks of the Furama, but would be coming from Siem Reap and would then need to transit back to SIN to catch my inbound back to the States. Any advice or other suggestions for nice beach hotels in Vietnam that would meet these criteria?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
IC versus Hyatt in Danang

Trying to decide whether to go with Hyatt or IC in Danang.

Have lots of IC points, so 50K per night is not an issue.

But also have Hyatt DSUs.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:39 am

I haven't stayed at the hyatt but know several people who have been there and enjoyed themselves. That said, I would definitely go with IC. Last time we were in the area we spent a few days at IC before moving over to the Nam Hai. It's got to be one of the best IC's around and in my view is going to give you a lot more wow and seclusion than the Hyatt. It really is a fun and whimsical resort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.