Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Inspections - Southeast Asia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:15 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Hotel Inspections - Southeast Asia

I'll be heading off in a week to do a hotel inspection trip (and some sightseeing as well) in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Siem Reap, and Chiang Mai. I'll be visiting the following hotels (and staying at those indicated with an *asterisk*). If anyone has particular questions about any of these properties, please pass them along, and I will ask them of the Sales Managers when I am there:

Hong Kong
*Langham Hotel (8 Peking Rd, Kowloon)
Landmark Mandarin Oriental
Mandarin Oriental
Four Seasons
InterContinental
Peninsula

Bangkok
*Peninsula
Four Seasons
Oriental
Sukhothai
(and if time permits)
Shangri-La
Hilton

Siem Reap
*Raffles Grand Hotel D'Angkor
Amansara
La Residence D'Angkor
Hotel de la Paix

Chiang Mai
*Four Seasons
Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi
Chedi Chiang Mai

Transfers and guides will be provided by Eastern Journeys (in Hong Kong) and Trails of Indochina (in Thailand and Cambodia).

I will post trip reports along the way.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:20 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This trip sounds like one of the real perks of being a TA!!!! Enjoy.

There are some very nice suites at the GH Hong Kong if you want to add hotels to your list.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Hong Kong Hotel Report

[I have copied the report below from my travel blog.]

Upscale travelers visiting Hong Kong have the choice of many luxury hotels. This is a brief review of six 5 star hotels, each of which is a member of the Virtuoso network. Virtuoso guests benefit from special negotiated rates and receive significant amenities that include complimentary daily breakfasts, upgrades on arrival if available, and more.

Hong Kong or Kowloon? Your most basic decision is that of location. Business travelers tend to stay in Hong Kong as it is the location of financial institutions and the convention center. Kowloon is the choice of many leisure travelers. Just a short and inexpensive ride away by the Star Ferry or subway, Kowloon offers a stunning view of the Hong Kong skyline. After dark, especially, the view of the lights of Hong Kong over the harbour is simply stunning, and the shopping malls stay open much later. In fact, you can shop well into the early hours of the morning at the Night Market and the Ladies Market.

For visitors who choose to stay in Hong Kong...

The Mandarin Oriental offers the grandeur of a classic hotel that recently completed an extensive renovation. From the moment you enter the lobby, you will be struck by the elegance of the black marble floors and ornate gilded Oriental carvings. With 502 guest rooms, the Mandarin Oriental offers great dining; its restaurants located on the top floor provide stunning views of the harbour and city. My favorite room categories are the Premier and Harbour rooms. Some will prefer the more contemporary styling of the Verandah rooms; be sure to mention this preference to your travel consultant.

The Landmark Mandarin Oriental offers a modern, contemporary feeling. The sister property of the Mandarin Oriental, the hotel is directly connected to the Landmark shopping mall. As with the MO, you can walk to the rest of the Central district via enclosed, air conditioned walkways. I loved the clean elegance of this property. Guestrooms feature floors of hardwood and black marble. The L600 Deluxe and L600 Spa Corner rooms are absolutely wonderful Jr. Suites. Beautiful bathrooms feature circular jacuzzi tubs, separate showers, and dual sinks. There is a spacious sleeping area and discrete living room as well. New in 2008 are some great amenities including a VIP greeting at the aircraft gate upon arrival at the Hong Kong airport, and this is just the beginning. Contact me for a complete description of the Virtuoso amenities.

The Four Seasons Hotel is a third wonderful choice in Hong Kong. With a location convenient to the financial center, this is the property of choice for many business travelers. The building features stunning contemporary architecture, an atrium 30 meters high, a Club Lounge with the most amazing view of the harbour, and rooftop swimming pools with a full view of the harbour and Kowloon.

For visitors who choose to stay in Kowloon...

The Langham Hotel is the value leader of the luxury properties of Kowloon. The property is just about to open its newly refurbished Grand Rooms. From the moment you enter through their burled wood doors, you will be struck by the clean, elegant styling of the brand new decor. These rooms offer complimentary broadband internet and all the Virtuoso amenities at a very attractive price. Others may prefer Club Floor rooms which include Club access and complimentary one-way airport transfers. (Warning: the Club has a freezer full of Haagen-Dazs personal-sized ice cream cartons!)

The InterContinental is located right on the harbour and offers absolutely perfect views of Hong Kong's skyline and Avenue of Stars from the windows of Harbourview rooms. A great outdoor pool area provides guests with a resort feeling, and the property offers great restaurants. Virtuoso guests at the InterContinental receive complimentary access to the biggest buffet breakfast I have ever seen. For an additional charge, guests receive Club access which provide all-day grazing rights (including Dom Perignon champagne).

The Peninsula is the classic old grand hotel on Kowloon. This property has the traditional feeling of a British colonial hotel, presents a beautiful Afternoon Tea, and provides Rolls Royce limousines for its guests. I was impressed by the Grand Deluxe Kowloon View guest rooms with very interesting views of the city. Then I was blown away by the Deluxe Harborview corner suites. Ask for one of these suites on the western side of the property, and enjoy a view of the harbour from your living room, bedroom, and soaking tub.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:59 am

David, how about Thailand hotels?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
David, how about Thailand hotels?
Just got to Bangkok yesterday! I'm doing my site inspection on Sunday...
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:21 pm

Flyertalk to the rescue again! Mrs. TMAYER and I are going to Thailand in November and have booked everything except our hotel in Bangkok. Were considering Penninsula among others. Thought i would check to see if there were any reports about hotels in Bangkok and what a timely thread this is.

DavidO - look forward to your trip report on Thailand hotels.

TMAYER
Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:45 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
A search in this forum for Bangkok will surely pull up hundreds of threads and thousands of posts, as it's one of the most popular destinations among contributors to this forum. You'll find scores of posts on Peninsula Bangkok by me alone, as it's my Favorite Hotel in the World.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM
Thanks for all the details! Looking forward to your Thailand and Cambodia reports.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:29 am

Pen Bangkok versus Oriental

I'm a big fan of The Peninsula Bangkok, too, although last time I was in BK, I also stayed at The Oriental and was amazed how good it was after the refurbishment. Lord Jim's restaurant is better than it's ever been and the new pool makes all the difference, even if they did copy the look from The Pen!

I like the Four Seasons BK if I'm flying in and out of BK, as it's closer to the airport. It also has fabulous service. Great location for shopping, too.

Can't get on with Sukhothai, despite the big bathrooms. Something always seems to go wrong with my stay. I also don't like the pool, which is surrounded by tall buildings.

Does anyone stay at the Metropolitan anymore? I stayed when it first opened and thought the rooms/suites/bathrooms were impressive, but it's a bit too trendy, like The Met London.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the met gets very mixed reviews here. seems even more "love it / hate it" than other BKK properties. more like some of the SIN properties.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 9, 2007 at 12:09 pm
Old Oct 9, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Does anyone stay at the Metropolitan anymore? I stayed when it first opened and thought the rooms/suites/bathrooms were impressive, but it's a bit too trendy, like The Met London.
I did last August for the first time and it became my preferred home in BKK instantly (which used to be the Pen until then). I love its style, ambience, food and spa. Trendy (and boutique) enough for me
Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TMAYER
Flyertalk to the rescue again! Mrs. TMAYER and I are going to Thailand in November and have booked everything except our hotel in Bangkok. Were considering Penninsula among others. Thought i would check to see if there were any reports about hotels in Bangkok and what a timely thread this is.

DavidO - look forward to your trip report on Thailand hotels.

TMAYER
IMHO the Oriental is the finest hotel in Bangkok. There is a charm and ambience there that is unparalleled.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Bangkok Luxury Hotel Site Visit

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but the baud rate in Cambodia was just 1,500 bits per second and I didn't feel like torturing myself (and paying for the privilege).

Here's my report on luxury hotels in Bangkok. Obviously it's just my personal opinion; I don't claim to be "right" ... but here's my executive summary:

(a) Loved the Grand Deluxe room I stayed in at the Peninsula.
(b) Was impressed by the 1 BR Deluxe Suites at the Oriental.
(c) Really liked Sukhothai.
(d) Book a Premium room at FS.
(e) Krungthep Wing at Shangri-La is a great value.

Hotels by the river...

The Peninsula Bangkok. I spent three evenings in a Grand Deluxe room at the Peninsula, a large and comfortable room nearly 500 square feet in area. Rooms feature marble bathrooms with separate shower and tub and two vanities. Every room at the Peninsula has a direct view of the river. Deluxe and Grand Deluxe rooms are identical, but Grand Deluxe rooms are on the higher floors and have stunning views. For even more impressive accommodations, book a Grand Deluxe Suite ... and if cost is no object, a Duplex Suite.

The Oriental. The oldest hotel in the city, The Oriental opened its doors 130 years ago, but only a small portion of the original building remains. The hotel has two wings--the River Wing and the Garden Wing; I preferred the River Wing rooms. For a very special treat, book a 1BR Deluxe Suite. We were shown the Wilbur Smith Suite (suites are named after literary figures). It is a stunning room with hardwood floors, area rugs, and a great corner view of the river.

Shangri-La Hotel. The only property I visited that is not a member of Virtuoso, the Shangri-La is a quite large property that handles a lot of conventions. Upscale travelers might consider a room in the more intimate Krungthep Wing where deluxe rooms (473 square feet) offer a full river view. Krungthep Wing privileges include 24-hour butler service complimentary breakfast, included juice and soft drinks throughout the day (or from your room's minibar), afternoon High Tea, evening cocktails and canapes, and free in-room internet access.

Downtown Bangkok hotels...

Sukhothai. I really liked Sukhothai. From the moment I entered the lobby, I was captivated by the beauty of the hotel’s clean, elegant design (“Thai chic”) and attention to detail. You feel that you are staying at a secluded resort in the middle of a busy city. The basic Superior room is quite attractive, but book a Deluxe Studio at a slight increment in price in order to be upgraded at booking to an Executive Suite. The slight rate differential gives you spacious accommodations (over 800 square feet) with 1.5 baths and extensive teak wood flooring. For a real “wow,” book a Deluxe Suite for an upgrade to a Garden Suite. These ground floor suites have 12 foot ceilings and face the central garden. We had lunch at Celadon, a truly wonderful Thai restaurant that has attracted many well deserved acolades. A number of celebrities stay at this resort including an American singer whose name begins with “B.” The sales manager could not divulge her name...

Four Seasons Bangkok. The door is opened for you by doormen wearing pith helmets, and if the lobby reminds you of the Peninsula Hong Kong, your eyes are not playing tricks on you. This property was originally a Peninsula, and the lobby is quite similar. The Deluxe rooms are in need of some refurbishment -- nice decor, but some old furnishings. I recommend booking a Premier Room for a truly impressive guestroom. The FS Executive Suite is a nice accommodation. Cabana rooms are in a different section of the hotel and offer direct access to the large swimming pool; they offer a different architectural style, more minimalistic, with teakwood floors - very private and great for honeymooners. We enjoyed dinner one evening at Spice Market; great soft shell crab!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Siem Reap Hotel Report

Raffles Grand Resort d’Angkor
As its name would suggest, this is a grand resort on beautifully landscaped grounds built around an impressive 35 meter long, infinity edged swimming pool that doubles as a reflecting pool. This is the original hotel in Siem Reap, built in 1932 and recently refurbished. The property is lushly landscaped and retains the elegance of a bygone era. I recommend booking a room in the original building. The Landmark rooms provide spacious accommodations with high ceilings. (State Rooms and Cabana Rooms in the newer wing are narrower rooms). Personality Suites, named after figures associated with Ankor, are one-third larger with separate bath and showers.

La Résidence d’Angkor - An Orient-Express Hotel
Visitors to Siem Reap should strongly consider La Résidence d’Angkor. Well located in town, this relatively new property was recently acquired by Orient-Express Hotels. The extensive use of natural woods create the feeling of a very traditional, tropical resort, but guests enjoy the latest modern amenities. Guest rooms are beautiful and offer round stone bathtubs that are almost large enough to swim in. River View rooms are less desirable as they face the street and the rather muddy river running beside it. Book a Garden View or Pool View room.

Hotel de la Paix
A member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World but not a Virtuoso property, this new hotel is on a busy, noisy, dusty, and not-so-attractive intersection in the center of Siem Reap (with a gas station opposite the main entrance). However, once you step into the hotel, you walk into a different world, serene and quiet with a sophisticated elegance. Designed by architect Bill Bensley, this 107 room boutique hotel offers stylish contemporary furnishings. Guests who want to be in the center of town, don’t mind the noise and dust of the hotel’s surroundings, and prefer avant guard design will appreciate Hotel de la Paix.

Amansara
Amansara is in a class by itself. Originally built in 1962 to be the guest villa of King Norodom Sihanouk, the property was obtained by Aman Resorts and opened for guests in 2002. A dozen pool suites, each with a private swimming pool, were introduced in 2005. The rooms contrast ivory colored walls and dark timber and have a unique symmetrical design that contribute to a sense of balance that guests will experience here. A final note: the spa treatment rooms have been designed with the same attention to style and detail. Book Amansara for the ultimate luxury experience in Siem Reap.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:34 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
David: Would you pay the considerable additional cost for Amansara or tough it out at Raffles or De La Paix?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.