Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Caribbean: Which Four Seasons?

Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:01 am
Original Poster

I'm thinking of going to the Caribbean with my family in early June 2008. I want to pick a Four Seasons because they're mostly all-inclusive, yet the Four Season resorts in the Caribbean are still isolated enough for a peaceful vacation...

So... between Nevis and Great Exuma, which one?

From what I've noticed when reading customer reviews on tripadvisor.com and just looking at the websites of each resort, Great Exuma seems to have a much better beach, newer facilities, and an overall better rating that Nevis. Is that correct?

I've tried to search on here for any trip reviews but the reviews I found were a couple years old, and who knows what has changed at the resorts.

Comparing beaches, restaurants, activities, transportation to the resort, friendliness, golf, tennis, spa, which Four Seasons is better? One thing I noticed that I like about Great Exuma more is that the beach/water is extremely beautiful, while the water in Nevis seemed to be a darker slate blue rather than turquoise.

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how many people/rooms?

what kind of activities do you want onsite/offsite?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 1, 2007 at 12:16 pm
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Well, I am 17 years old so I'd be going with my mom and dad, and I am helping them choose a hotel since we have narrowed it down to these two hotels. So, we'd like complimentary water/beach activities, which both hotels have. Also, excursions to other islands or trips such as snorkeling, sightseeing, etc. We would have one room, and we wouldn't probably be in the room that much but I'd also like a room that is up to date, which would be more likely at Great Exuma.

My parents and I play golf, tennis, other recreational stuff that would be on the island. Pools and beaches are important, since that is one the major parts of the trip and the whole idea of going to the Caribbean, IMHO, is the beauty of the beaches!

Shopping isn't a big priority for this trip since this trip is more of a relaxing, sitting around all day kind of trip, different than going to Europe or NYC. However, a place with some historical emphasis or possibly a small tourist town would be enjoyable. Possibly the small town of Georgetown on Great Exuma?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:32 pm
Suspended

The Nevis Four Seasons is great, and a terrific island to explore. Highly recommended; it is tricky to get to, but that isolation is part of the charm.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am helping them choose a hotel
^

another consideration might be rooms >

FS Nevis
mountain side $355
oceanfront $550
2BR villa with pool $1075

FS Exuma
garden view $375-390
beachfront $795-835

unfortunately it seems like all the packages end this year, not sure when theyll get them up for next year.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 5, 2007 at 9:40 am
Old Sep 1, 2007, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I noticed that Nevis seems to have a lot of summer packages. When are those released for the next calendar year? I guess it's better to call and ask the hotel.

I am also thinking of telling my parents to book the vacation through Virtuoso, but is it worth it? What is so special with Virtuoso that makes it popular? Added benefits, better excursion options, etc?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

unfortunately neither property is Virtuoso/FHR.

Virtuoso is like American Express's FHR for Platinum/Centurion cardholders, except anyone can use it.

it offers upgrades, discounts, etc. (for free by booking with Virtuoso travel agent)

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660610 (right at the beginning)
Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

What are some of the Virtuoso/FHR resorts in the Caribbean that aren't totally expensive [like Amanyara], but still equivalent to the Four Seasons Resorts that you would consider going to?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:42 am

Was at the FS Nevis last year....spectacular property with excellent service. I have traveled throughout the Caribbean and you will not receive this level of service at many hotels (Parrot Cay, Sandy Lane, etc).

There is not much to do on Nevis....and this is the beauty of the place. No deep water port=no cruise ships.

I am a big golfer and the course is one of the finest in the Caribbean. I recommend the 9 hole scramble if you happen to be there on a Friday. It cost something like 50 bucks and includes cocktails. Some of the hotel staff will join the groups to play. Great way to meet other guests.

One more note, if you do choose Nevis, make sure and book a dinner at the Montpelier Plantation and request to be seated in mill. Outstanding food, service, and atmosphere.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:29 am

Nevis > Grand Exuma, easilly. We hit Nevis annually. It is a pretty sleepy island, which is exactly what I need. Nevis is also very easy to get to with the option to fly into either SKB or NEV. I'd suggest you open Costa Rica up to consideration as well. While it lacks the turquiose waters that seem to be a big factor for you; it is an excellent resort, and I put the service and golf to be even better than Nevis.

I also recommend you play in the scramble. Bruce Wilson and the Management staff regulars know that course like the back fo their hands and I have seen some amazing shots. Stock up on plenty of Carib's in your cooler before the first tee, they all insist it is good for your drives.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Sep 5, 2007 at 8:35 am
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS Punta Mita (Virtuoso/FHR)
garden view $535
beachfront $1065
garden view suite with pool $1290

FS Costa Rica (FHR?)
garden view $515
canopy suite with pool $1760

(both have 5th night free promo online now)
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FS Punta Mita (Virtuoso/FHR)
garden view $535
beachfront $1065
garden view suite with pool $1290

FS Costa Rica (FHR?)
garden view $515
canopy suite with pool $1760

(both have 5th night free promo online now)
Try as I might, I cannot find virtuoso hotel rates on their website. Do I have to email one of their reps directly, or am I missing some simple step?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:18 am

Nevis! As Braniffluvr stated, it is more difficult to get to, but it is such a charming island. You can also take the ferry over to St. Kitts for an additional activity.

Nevis, like no other island in the Caribbean, seems to embody a kind of lush tropical paradise usually associated with the South Pacific. The atmosphere there is palpably luxuriant, an intoxicating blend of sunlight, sea air and fantastically abundant vegetation. The ground rises upward into a cloud forest filled with elusive green vervet monkeys (they also play all over the FS golf course) and brilliant tropical flowers. For anyone who enjoys stunning natural beauty, Nevis cannot fail to exceed expectations.

There is a wide variety of restaurants offering West Indian food, Eclectic dining, and your Plantation Inn restaurants.

These are the most welcoming people I have ever met. (Do I sound hooked?)
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. However, I am still not sure why Nevis is better than Great Exuma? Great Exuma seems to have better beaches, and the same location as Nevis on a very isolated island.

Also, my parents are considering the Mayan Riviera, but I am not wanting to go there as much as the Caribbean islands only because I want an island experience, and I don't care much for the historical aspect of the Yucatan. Also, I don't want a resort that is 5-6 stories that surrounds a pool that's set on a straight beach.. I want more of an island resort that is spread out, with a long beach that isnt shared between other resorts. However, what are some of the best Mayan Riviera resorts? Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Cancun?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.rosewoodmayakoba.com/
lagoon view suite with pool $490
beachfront suite with pool $900

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/rivieramaya/
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....58&postcount=4
from $595

Ritz Carlton Cancun has mixed reviews (especially outside of peak season) and is more like what you describe (as not what you want)

you might want to try searching the forum.. there is a lot on FS Nevis, as its well regarded, and a favorite for many. i dont recall seeing as much on Exuma.

edit - not much, and not very good >

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369823

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...61#post4733261
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607730
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....30&postcount=5
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417212

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 5, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.