Wiki Posts
Search

The Peninsula in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Recent Visit, Micro-TR

On January 26, I fractured a bone in my foot while in BKK, so I decided to return home early. Didn't have to, but I was spending far too much time (i.e., all of it) in my hotel room, so why not just go home? Due to the CX schedule I had to overnight in HKG. I was on crutches.

I had a non-trivial carry-on bag as well as a very large and über heavy regular suitcase. Ever try to do this with crutches? Wasn't going to happen. Well, I'd always wanted to stay in the HKG Pen, so this seemed as good a time as any. Called the hotel from BKK and spoke to a charming rezzy agent, Christie, I think, couldn't tell if she was actually at the hotel or part of the central res center. Explained my situation, she told me not to worry, and that everything would be taken care of. All she needed was my arrival and departure flight info. She booked me a one night package which included RR transfer one way, and I bought MB transfer for the other way.

Arrived HKG on CX, the crew could not have been nicer. The wheelchair was waiting directly outside the a/c door, but one of the cabin crew accompanied me to the terminal because she was concerned that I might not be able to manage. Very sweet. As I entered the terminal from the jetway, there was a greeter with my name on a board. She apparently works for the HKG greeter company (I forget the name). She took me through immigration and customs.

As we exited the customs area into the arrival hall, there was the man from the Pen in traditional morning clothes, striped trousers and all. "Good afternoon, sir. I trust that your journey wasn't too uncomfortable." He discharged my greeter and took command. Wheeled out to where the RR was waiting. Luggage was apparently dealt with, although I was unaware of the details. Three Pen staffers helped me into the back seat. Door closed, driver back in his seat, and off we went. The driver (well, this man truly deserves the title of chauffer, he was obviously a professional) gave me a completely smooth ride to the hotel.

On arrival at the hotel, there was a female management-type person (off-white business suit with walkie-talkie and a sheath of papers) supervising a staff of several, all awaiting my arrival. As soon as the car pulled to a stop, they went into action. A wheelchair was waiting, which I declined. Two people supervised my alighting from the Rolls, one holding my crutches, the other making sure that I didn't fall. Mgmt lady took me right up to the room. First, she spent some time showing me how everything worked. Nice room. Very high ceiling, centralized modern electronic controls for everything, including curtains. In the bathroom, the marble and plumbing fixtures seemed original, but electronics and lighting were right up to date. View was across the street to the Sheraton.

Now it wasn't a suite, although more than adequately sized. Nevertheless, she looked at me on the couch and asked if it wouldn't be more convenient to have some of the furniture rearranged to accommodate my requiring crutches to move. I did not want a wholesale rearranging of my room, would have taken far too long, but I did allow that removing the glass coffee table would be incredibly helpful. She telephoned someone, and no more than two minutes later a gentleman appeared in formal clothes with a white jacket. After speaking with me he reviewed the situation, decided what was going to be done (coffee table removed, cushioned ottoman moved into its place) and disappeared into the hall for a moment. Immediately, he returned followed by the two movers, who apparently had been waiting in the hall until summoned. They, too, were immaculately dressed, though without ties. Apparently, the requirements were explained to them in the hall, as they went right to work when they entered. Coffee table disassembled and removed in under 60 seconds.

As they were leaving, someone appeared with a pot of jasmine tea, -- perfect. The woman who had been supervising my arrival left me her business card, and asked me to call her if I needed anything. Very nice.

I had trouble connecting to the internet, so I called the Business Center. Someone appeared in fewer than five minutes, he seemed very knowledgeable and got the problem solved. Later, I ordered dinner from room service, it was great.

In the morning, the bellman removed my bags, and I went down to check out. (I always like to check out personally at the desk, don't know why.) The woman at the desk insisted that I sit on the sofa across the way, and she brought my bill to me. When we verified that it was correct (needed a small adjustment), she returned, dealt with the credit card payment, and brought everything back to me. Then, as I rose to begin my hobble out of the hotel, she called over two staffers, one of whom walked on each side of me as I made my way to and through the front doors,... On the other side of which was my ride (MB S Class) along with the driver and two more staff. Luggage and I both installed in the car, and off we went.

Arrival at HKG was pretty much the same as last night. Pen staffer met the car, dealt with the bags, got me up to CX F check-in. He stayed with me until Passport Control gate.

In short, everything went off without a hitch. From the moment that I arrived at HKG until I got to Passport Control for departure, it was like a very precisely coreographed performance. Everything was perfect, everything happened precisely as it should have. This place has service down to a science. And that's where I level my sole criticism. While everything, and I do mean everything, was perfect, it also seemed to lack the real warmth which I find in other hotels. That said, of course, this is the Peninsula, very British, very old world. Perhaps that's the way that they want it. Just a matter of personal preference, I suppose.

Yes, I'd go back. In a minute.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Feb 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Called the hotel from BKK

As I entered the terminal from the jetway, there was a greeter with my name on a board. She apparently works for the HKG greeter company (I forget the name). She took me through immigration and customs.

As we exited the customs area into the arrival hall, there was the man from the Pen

seemed to lack the real warmth
fantastic report. ^

for future reference, virtuoso includes daily breakfast and a dinner for two in lobby, which i would assume you could have used towards room service. they may still be offering one way RR transfer as well. and of course chance of upgrade.

interesting pen wasnt airside.

unfortunate there was a lack of warmth.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:10 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
fantastic report.....interesting pen wasnt airside.

unfortunate there was a lack of warmth.
Agree about the fantastic report. In past years Pen was airside (or at least rep wore a Pen uniform), both meeting at the gate and retrieving luggage from baggage claim prior to customs. It sounds like this has now been outsourced to a "meet and greet" service available to anyone for a fee. Not sure that would degrade the service level in the slightest as the airport/authorities control most of what happens airside. Otherwise the service is typical Pen HKG ... very efficient, thorough and under-stated. Perhaps that can be called a lack of warmth, I think it stems from a respect for guest privacy.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Thanks for the positive feedback, this was my first attempt at any type of TR. Interesting about the Pen meeting flights directly in the past. She was about 24, doing this job for a bit until she could land a job with an airline, which is what she really wanted. Despite her youth, she seemed sufficiently experienced to deal with it all.

Lack of warmth didn't bother me at all. Lack of warmth, respect for personal privacy, whatever, -- it's a style issue. No right or wrong, no better or worse IMO. Just different. And, as I said unequivocally, I'd happily go back for another visit.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thank´s for the interesting trip report!

May I ask how much the transfer from/to the airport costs?
Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Thanks for the positive feedback, this was my first attempt at any type of TR. Interesting about the Pen meeting flights directly in the past. She was about 24, doing this job for a bit until she could land a job with an airline, which is what she really wanted. Despite her youth, she seemed sufficiently experienced to deal with it all.

Lack of warmth didn't bother me at all. Lack of warmth, respect for personal privacy, whatever, -- it's a style issue. No right or wrong, no better or worse IMO. Just different. And, as I said unequivocally, I'd happily go back for another visit.
I believe the same people who offer this service for the PEN also offer for LH Hon Circle- and it is a very good service.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I believe the same people who offer this service for the PEN also offer for LH Hon Circle- and it is a very good service.
This service is actually available for anyone who is willing to pay for it.

http://www.worldwideflight.com.hk/vip_services.html

Also, when staying at major hotels in HK, you can also request this service when booking your transfers. Some hotels such as the Peninsula may automatically offer this as part of their airport to hotel transfers.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Seems like a silly question, given that we're planning on paying >US$1K/night for a suite, but here goes anyway.

Our rate includes breakfast, and it says that it is the "Traditional Peninsula Breakfast." My wife found a picture of it online, and it looked like an slightly upscale Denny's Grand Slam (add tomatoes and croissant instead of toast).

Anyone with recent experience re: this? Not that it changes our mind, but it helps manage expectations. Are other better breakfasts available at the hotel?

Thanks,
Greg
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

It is just a lovely breakfast served in your room (our choice) on china and fine cutlery. Juice is freshly squeezed, eggs are cooked perfectly and tea and coffee is served from fine bone china pots. "Dennys?" I don't think so. Everything is delicious and service is unparalleled.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by greg99
Our rate includes breakfast, and it says that it is the "Traditional Peninsula Breakfast." My wife found a picture of it online, and it looked like an slightly upscale Denny's Grand Slam (add tomatoes and croissant instead of toast).

Anyone with recent experience re: this? Not that it changes our mind, but it helps manage expectations. Are other better breakfasts available at the hotel?

Thanks,
Greg
A Denny's "Grand Slam" ??

I have always been very pleased with breakfast at Peninsula hotels, I am sure you will be fine.

In my experince, both Peninsula and Mandarin Oriental sometimes state that the included breakfast is a buffet breakfast or a continental breakast, but in reality my choice of full American/Japanese/Thai etc... breakfast, through room service or in the restaurant, has been complimentary.

I suspect that being a regular guest and staying in suites is sometimes makes a difference re breakfast. YMMV of course.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had the included breakfast (Traditional Peninsula IIRC) in the lobby lounge, which is a nice spot for people watching. It was coffee/tea, juice or fruit, pastry or toast, and eggs or other hot main course, including pancakes with poached fruit or a waffle....It's not a buffet and doesn't have tons of choices but it is a full hot breakfast. You can order additional a la carte items at additional cost. Generous beverage refills are complementary. The breakfast is served on nice hotel china with "silver" trays and coffee pots.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:47 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Got a email circular from the Pen hotel group. Pen HK just completed their room renovation. New photos already on website. Looks nice. Might finally give it a try. Anyone already tried?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:10 pm

Great story, Dr.HFH. I'm interested in staying now and taking the RR service even if I have no injuries. What were the costs?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 31, 2012 at 10:38 pm Reason: Very long quote eliminated and replaced with reference to the quote's poster.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I’m surprised this thread hasn’t been updated in a few years. Did I miss a more recently updated Peninsula Hong Kong thread?

I was thinking about staying here in a couple months. I’ve had tea here and am familiar with the location because we walk past it to the MTR or Harbor City when staying at the InterContinental Hong Kong. Any updates on pros and cons? The rooms look fairly updated, but not sure what else to expect in terms of service. Booking would be on FHR rate.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
I’m surprised this thread hasn’t been updated in a few years. Did I miss a more recently updated Peninsula Hong Kong thread?

I was thinking about staying here in a couple months. I’ve had tea here and am familiar with the location because we walk past it to the MTR or Harbor City when staying at the InterContinental Hong Kong. Any updates on pros and cons? The rooms look fairly updated, but not sure what else to expect in terms of service. Booking would be on FHR rate.
This thread contains a lot about the various luxury options in HK. Not sure the rate difference between FHR and Peninsula's own Penclub but something to consider for the flagship Pen hotel.

best hotel in Hong Kong
TravelLawyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.