Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Low Season FS George V?

Low Season FS George V?

Old Aug 24, 07, 6:06 am

I've stayed at IC LeGrand a couple of times. First time was a Junior Suite with Club Access. Very weird 2 small room combination, 4 fixture bathroom with windows. Club was wonderful! Great food presentation.

Second was in a standard room -- extremely tiny, but comfortable for one. 3 fixture bathroom with window. Recently stayed in a superior (the next category up) -- my partner hated it. The room is not that much bigger than the standard, but it has a 4 fixture bathroom (with a separate toilet by the foyer).

I do agree with DavidO that you should at least look at Junior Suite at Le Grand.

But my favorite hotel in Paris is hands-down PH PV. Great location, wonderful atmosphere and lovely decor. Contemporary, but not cold or pretentious. They have recently installed motorized window treatment (which works so much better than the old manual one) in all of the guestrooms and renovated their specialty suites and spa. Some of PH PV standard rooms are on the small side, but the bathroom is huge and fabulous. Not to mention it has Blaise Mautin toiletries, which is a personal favorite of mine.

I look forward to my next stay there. Heck, I look forward to being in Paris, period!

Originally Posted by DavidO View Post
InterContinental Le Grand is a good value and in a great location (opposite the Opera). The free Club access (at BAR) as a Virtuoso amenity is a great selling feature. The standard rooms, though, tend to be quite small (by American standards). You really need to get to a Jr. Suite level of room at the Le Grand to get the room size you'd normally associate with a Deluxe room.

Another possibility is the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendome which has great Virtuoso pricing which I have found in the past to be far better than anything you can book even on the hotel's own site. It's a hotel with a typical Park Hyatt "contemporary" feel, rain shower baths, in a classic French building. Location is great, right on the Place Vendome, between the Ritz and Le Meurice.
Old Aug 24, 07, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO View Post
Another possibility is the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendome which has great Virtuoso pricing which I have found in the past to be far better than anything you can book even on the hotel's own site. It's a hotel with a typical Park Hyatt "contemporary" feel, rain shower baths, in a classic French building. Location is great, right on the Place Vendome, between the Ritz and Le Meurice.
^
The Park Hyatt is a fantastic hotel. Actually it is located on the 'rue de la Paix', close to Cartier flagship, right between Place Vendôme (100m away) and Opéra Garnier (200m away). This hotel is so quiet, with a unique atmosphere (fireplace, secluded terrace with olive trees). It does not have the glitz of the Ritz, the Crillon or the Georges V, but for those seeking privacy it is the perfect choice.
Old Aug 24, 07, 4:20 pm

I love the Park Hyatt, my stay there was great.
Which Virtuoso Amenities are included? Rates??
Old Aug 24, 07, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

again >
http://hotels.dinersclubus.com/europe.htm
is a good reference even though not 100% current

Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Daily continental breakfast for two in restaurant
4 PM late check-out if requested upon arrival
Champagne with a selection of tapas at the hotel bar, once during stay
Complimentary parking for duration of stay
Old Aug 25, 07, 5:52 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG
I have stayed at the Plaza Athenee, Bristol, George V and the Le Grand. By far the best is the George V -- the Bristol is improving, and the Plaza Ath was the most disappointing. It seems at Dorchester Hotel Group properties, unless one is a regular and/or high roller your treatment is poor.

Le Grand, however, is a very good alternative as I feel they really try their best to improve and offer a great product at a more reasonable price compared to other top end Paris properties. If you can get a view of the Opera from your room, it is worth it. The location is excellent and Cafe de la Paix is also much better than it used to be in terms of decor and food quality.

However, having views of the Eiffel Tower from a suite at the George V is simply magical.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: