Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by BENLEE
What's the consensus here about Aman Tokyo? I think it does not have a good location. Looks like of sterile.
Having stayed at many of the luxury hotels in Tokyo, I am a fan of the Aman Tokyo. I think the location is good and the rooms gorgeous. Is it worth the price? I must admit when I go for business I usually stay elsewhere - used to love the Park Hyatt when my business was near that area, but that changed so now like the Mandarin Oriental. For me it would be more of a " holiday" city hotel when I would be able to have more time to enjoy it. I must admit I had a lucky experience when there as was upgraded to one of the larger suites. It was massive and had a gorgeous view. Unfortunately I was working and by myself so am looking forward to going back with my husband when we can really enjoy it even though we might not be so lucky with the upgrade!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Is it a sofa bed?
My king bayview suite at the Conrad had a couch in the living room that was not a sofa bed.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
Having stayed at many of the luxury hotels in Tokyo, I am a fan of the Aman Tokyo. I think the location is good and the rooms gorgeous. Is it worth the price? I must admit when I go for business I usually stay elsewhere - used to love the Park Hyatt when my business was near that area, but that changed so now like the Mandarin Oriental. For me it would be more of a " holiday" city hotel when I would be able to have more time to enjoy it. I must admit I had a lucky experience when there as was upgraded to one of the larger suites. It was massive and had a gorgeous view. Unfortunately I was working and by myself so am looking forward to going back with my husband when we can really enjoy it even though we might not be so lucky with the upgrade!
MO is a much more accomplished hotel, compared to PH. And I really used to love PH! I feel when taking all things into account, especially its amenities, Aman Tokyo is actually not bad value at all. Just the service aspect...

I wonder who they will bring in as new GM.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by gengar
My king bayview suite at the Conrad had a couch in the living room that was not a sofa bed.
And the couch in the living room of the Conrad suites will sleep an adult comfortably even though it is not a pull put couch.

I love the view from the bay view suites.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Location is very decent. The hardware is phenomenal but soft side needs improvement.
Perfectly said. Even though my last experience in '15 was far from perfect, I am still returning in December for 4 nights. It is possibly the only hotel in the world that I will forgive the service as I love the hard product so much.

The concierge have been very helpful so far in rebooking some of my favourite restaurants from last time.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Perfectly said. Even though my last experience in '15 was far from perfect, I am still returning in December for 4 nights. It is possibly the only hotel in the world that I will forgive the service as I love the hard product so much.

The concierge have been very helpful so far in rebooking some of my favourite restaurants from last time.
Hmm I've had a different experience regarding Aman concierge. Staying both at RC and Aman at the end of November/December. We've been to Tokyo before and we've been trying to get specific restauraunt reservations for our honeymoon (specifically we have been trying hard for L'Equiteur). RC, although they haven't been able to get some of our choices, they were more willing to make the attempt than Aman. Aman would quickly brush off my request by saying the restaurant only takes rerservations from people who have gone before (which I know is typical of high-end Tokyo restaurants), but RC was at least willing to make an attempt and get back to me. Still waiting on Aman for our Ryugin reservation (they should get back to me on November 1), but so far RC has been able to secure more reservations.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Anlun
Still waiting on Aman for our Ryugin reservation (they should get back to me on November 1), but so far RC has been able to secure more reservations.
Funnily enough, Aman Tokyo got me into Ryugin back in 2015 with no fuss at all. I absolutely hated it, but even I would would find it harsh to blame the concierge for that.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Anlun
Hmm I've had a different experience regarding Aman concierge. Staying both at RC and Aman at the end of November/December. We've been to Tokyo before and we've been trying to get specific restauraunt reservations for our honeymoon (specifically we have been trying hard for L'Equiteur). RC, although they haven't been able to get some of our choices, they were more willing to make the attempt than Aman. Aman would quickly brush off my request by saying the restaurant only takes rerservations from people who have gone before (which I know is typical of high-end Tokyo restaurants), but RC was at least willing to make an attempt and get back to me. Still waiting on Aman for our Ryugin reservation (they should get back to me on November 1), but so far RC has been able to secure more reservations.
That's where Aman needs to get things right in doing what their guests want rather than what's easiest. The spa listens and definitely provides a classic example of how Aman Tokyo should be showing omotenashi. They listen to your desires and provide a luxury spaing experience. On the other hand, the Lounge service was mediocre but the tea set exquisite.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:25 am

My go-to in Tokyo has been The Peninsula, but the weekend I'm looking at has a Saturday that's double the standard rate for some reason, so I'm looking into alternatives. I like the Pen because of the size of the room and bathroom (double vanity is a must). So far it looks like the standard room at the MO is very sad. Haven't been able to confirm bathroom sizes at any other property. Does anyone have any recommendation for something within the price range of the Pen, and also have a large bathroom? Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

PH at the park suite level and up has a double vanity and the bathroom is definitely of good size. Room size is at least 90sqmt.
nnn likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends how much you're paying for Pen but
Aman' s bathrooms are huge with dual vanities.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by jbeans
My go-to in Tokyo has been The Peninsula, but the weekend I'm looking at has a Saturday that's double the standard rate for some reason, so I'm looking into alternatives. I like the Pen because of the size of the room and bathroom (double vanity is a must). So far it looks like the standard room at the MO is very sad. Haven't been able to confirm bathroom sizes at any other property. Does anyone have any recommendation for something within the price range of the Pen, and also have a large bathroom? Thanks in advance!
Well, the Peninsula has lovely bathrooms, so it will be tough to beat those.

Ritz-Carlton also has very spacious bathrooms and accommodation in general. The Presidential suite has a gargantuan bathroom.

R-C is the only one off the top of my head with bathrooms that rival the Peninsula’s in all room and suite categories. However, I would give the nod to Peninsula for bathroom styling, although in every other respect R-C (especially club level) is the vastly superior hotel.

If you go up to suite level, most hotels have large bathrooms. And of coarse there is Aman to consider if your focus is on an urban resort/spa like bathroom experience.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some SL Tokyo bathrooms are spacious but only have one vanity. Maybe someone can share their experience with the suites.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:21 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The PG Grand Deluxe rooms have the best bathrooms I've ever seen. The Andaz bathrooms are lovely too.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:48 am

Thanks guys for all your input! I'm trying to stay below a 800/night budget, so I think the suites are out. Seems like if I just go for the basic room, it comes down to Peninsula or RC. Does RC ever care to upgrade a Marriott Gold member?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.