Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:24 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LM225
I've been working with the MO concierge for our upcoming stay in December, and have been impressed.

In addition to securing a somewhat challenging reservation before the books "officially" open for our date, they've handled my numerous requests quite well.

The only knock has been a sometimes less-than-rapid response time (e.g. 2.5 days), but I don't consider this a serious issue for a stay that's still months away.
I was pretty impressed as well. I would usually get about 24hr responses. But did also run into the CC authorization form for Tokyo Giants tickets (didn’t end up buying them though)
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:49 pm

I have never had a single bad experience at MO Tokyo, so I would like to think that this recent anecdotal issue is an anomaly.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Yes, that is cultural, and can't be helped usually. I find it easier to just fill out the form than to bother discussing it.

What is disconcerting is that MO apparently had difficulty doing something Conrad could do in five minutes. I'm very surprised to hear that.
Thanks for the data point (to @BlackHappy also). I'll note that I don't have a problem with an authorization form, but I'm less comfortable with needing to e-mail scans of my CC. But if that's the cultural standard, no point complaining about it.

The bigger issue, as you noted, is why the MO concierge didn't take the initiative to investigate ticket availability rather than insist on a form and CC scans first. But I'll disagree that there was any "difficulty" at all. Even though the concierge claimed they had searched and were "still searching" for tickets, it's obvious that they never even bothered starting to look if others could secure tickets within minutes (to be honest, I'm skeptical the event was even actually sold out). This gave the impression of indifference, mirroring the interactions I had with the MO concierge on my restaurant reservation and other requests.

Originally Posted by LM225
The only knock has been a sometimes less-than-rapid response time (e.g. 2.5 days), but I don't consider this a serious issue for a stay that's still months away.
My stay was booked relatively close-in, yet I experienced longer response times to some of my e-mails - even within a week of my arrival date. Frankly, I'd expected all my MO requests to have been finalized long before I got on my flight to Japan, but that's why literally nothing had been accomplished even by the time I was already staying at the Conrad.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
What's the consensus here about Aman Tokyo? I think it does not have a good location. Looks like of sterile.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BENLEE
What's the consensus here about Aman Tokyo? I think it does not have a good location. Looks like of sterile.
I haven't stayed at the Aman and can't comment on the hotel itself, but it has an excellent location for city transportation. It's a few blocks from Tokyo station for JR. In addition, in the basement of the building the hotel is in is a station that has four different subway lines passing through it. The basement also has maybe 15-20 restaurants of different types in it. Admittedly, there isn't much in the way of late night excitement there, it's possible to reach Roppongi for nightlife with one subway transfer or Shibuya with no transfers.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:53 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I haven't stayed at the Aman and can't comment on the hotel itself, but it has an excellent location for city transportation. It's a few blocks from Tokyo station for JR. In addition, in the basement of the building the hotel is in is a station that has four different subway lines passing through it. The basement also has maybe 15-20 restaurants of different types in it. Admittedly, there isn't much in the way of late night excitement there, it's possible to reach Roppongi for nightlife with one subway transfer or Shibuya with no transfers.
You'll have to Uber or taxi back, because the subways stop running after midnight.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
You'll have to Uber or taxi back, because the subways stop running after midnight.
Which is the case with all hotels. I know some staff members/management from other hotels who have moved to Aman, so I should probably stay at some point.

The thing is that there are too many hotels in Tokyo now, and it's difficult to imagine paying a large premium for Aman over what I can pay elsewhere (and still get perfect service).
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Location is very decent. The hardware is phenomenal but soft side needs improvement.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:21 pm

I've been focused on FS due to the two queen beds. Are there any other 4-5 star hotels that can fit 3 adults comfortably?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by dinkoh
I've been focused on FS due to the two queen beds. Are there any other 4-5 star hotels that can fit 3 adults comfortably?
Sure, the significant majority of the rooms at the Park Hyatt have two queen beds in them.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Sure, the significant majority of the rooms at the Park Hyatt have two queen beds in them.
Hmm, I just see "double" beds for PH?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:23 pm

Any room with two queen beds will do as long as two of the occupants don’t mind sharing one bed. Otherwise, any twin bedded room or suite + roll away will work at most hotels.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:40 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Any room with two queen beds will do as long as two of the occupants don’t mind sharing one bed. Otherwise, any twin bedded room or suite + roll away will work at most hotels.
The bayview suites at the Conrad have a couch plenty big enough for someone to sleep on + two queens
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
The bayview suites at the Conrad have a couch plenty big enough for someone to sleep on + two queens
Is it a sofa bed?

Most, if not all hotels have appropriate accommodation. Some of the Japanese hotels even have triple or quadruple bedded “family” rooms.

The Imperial, for example, has executive/premium floor twin bedded rooms that are designed to accommodate a roll away third bed upon request. Good for families.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:23 am

Hmm, I just see "double" beds for PH?
They are really queen-sized except maybe in the entry-level Park double room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.