Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I will write more about it when I can finally get some sleep (not due to seals, but jet lag)
Looking forward to it. Your Gora Kadan review was the stuff of legend.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Amazing pictures as usual, but please kill the swans on the bed for me. What were they thinking?
Maybe swans trump seals?

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Looking forward to it. Your Gora Kadan review was the stuff of legend.
You will love the comments on my blog then - lots of fans of mine out there: Review: Gora Kadan, Hakone
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The swans only really work in beautiful, tropical environments. Your photos look great as usual Mac.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Dec 15, 2017 at 4:32 pm
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
The swans only really work in beautiful, tropical environments.
Tell that to the swans in the Imperial Palace moat a stone's throw away from Aman Tokyo.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:25 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Pictures from our recent Aman Tokyo stay in an Aman Suite. We booked a Suite, but got moved to the other side of the building due to what I can only describe as the sound of a colony of seals being harpooned outside of our window - a never ending noise of nearby construction due to the 2020 Olympics, that only stopped when I invited staff into the room to hear it. I would definitely not pay for an Aman Suite, as you end up paying a huge premium over a suite (approx 100,000 JPY) just for a dining room table and slightly different view, both of which are obstructed by new buildings.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57690974559955

I will write more about it when I can finally get some sleep (not due to seals, but jet lag), but overall it has been a massive improvement on my last stay regarding service. Even the food is now edible (note: edible, not incredible), although why you would want to eat here when there are so many amazing restaurants nearby is a mystery. Some of the great service I experienced at the MO last time seems to have crept over this way.
If your first stay was so bad, why return?

Originally Posted by scented
Amazing pictures as usual, but please kill the swans on the bed for me. What were they thinking?
What's wring with the swans? They seem cute.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think turn down little origamis would be fine (local tradition) but the swans were hoisted from whatever SE Aman. I guess we'll agree to disagree but I think they look ungainly.

The Christmas tree in the suite is a nice touch. Ibe often had to improvise for our Christmas stays at lesser hotels.

Last edited by Aventine; Dec 15, 2017 at 7:33 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aman has corner suite and (corner) aman suite, looks to me they beat peninsula (corner) deluxe suite

but not sure re differences between those 2 categories at aman
seems views may vary by which corner, curious if any less obstructed
is it 3 corner and 1 aman per floor, or mostly 4 corner, and only 1 aman

Originally Posted by helvetic
If your first stay was so bad, why return?
hard product, he discussed previously

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 16, 2017 at 8:34 am
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
aman has corner suite and (corner) aman suite, looks to me they beat peninsula (corner) deluxe suite

but not sure re differences between those 2 categories at aman
seems views may vary by which corner, curious if any less obstructed
is it 3 corner and 1 aman per floor, or mostly 4 corner, and only 1 aman
There are 12 Corner Suites between 121-139 sqm and 4 Aman Suites at 157 sqm, with the Aman Suites guaranteeing views overlooking the Imperial Palace Gardens and Skytree; the Corner Suites just guarantee panoramic city views. I really do love a good view, especially for photography, but I failed to get excited about the view in anyway in any room. We were lucky and had views uninterrupted views of Mount Fuji on our first day before the weather changed. Zoom into the left corner of the glass on the photo below and you will see it. Yet you cannot see it from the top suite.

You will also see the construction taking place in my photo back in 2015 from (I think) a Premier Room, and those buildings are now obstructing the view even more, with more on the way.

Even though I've only stayed 3 times in Aman Tokyo, I've actually stayed in a Deluxe, Premier, Suite and Aman Suite, leaving just the Corner Suite as the missing link. All the same, I saw one, and feel that Suite would be the highest level room category I would recommend, but I'd actually just book a Premier Room going forward as the living room was only used for storing the large cake collection we amassed.
HKTraveler likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks, wonder how 3 other corners compare
which corner is the pool on for example

id only do a suite for the corner

Originally Posted by Aventine
The only way to get unobstructed views is to build it much taller and hope no neighbors reach your building's height like Toranomon Hills.
referring to andaz, is it similar with RC?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 16, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only way to get unobstructed views is to build it much taller and hope no neighbors reach your building's height like Toranomon Hills.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:59 am

I will write more about it when I can finally get some sleep (not due to seals, but jet lag), but overall it has been a massive improvement on my last stay regarding service. Even the food is now edible (note: edible, not incredible), although why you would want to eat here when there are so many amazing restaurants nearby is a mystery. Some of the great service I experienced at the MO last time seems to have crept over this way.
Here we go: Short review: Aman Tokyo, Tokyo ? The Good, The Bad and The Luxurious

I have said it elsewhere on FlyerTalk, but 2017 really surprised me in giving properties another chance after they screwed up in the first instance. Just as you can go from a great stay to a bad one, the opposite was equally likely for me last year. The Lanesborough has become one of my favourite properties in London, whilst Aman Tokyo managed to become one of my favourite city hotels.

I feel it's a time for forgiveness. Unless you're called Gora Kadan.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad the 30th birthday went swimmingly. I like Aman Tokyo a lot more now too.
MacMyDay likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:12 am

Here we go: Short review: Aman Tokyo, Tokyo ? The Good, The Bad and The Luxurious

I have said it elsewhere on FlyerTalk, but 2017 really surprised me in giving properties another chance after they screwed up in the first instance. Just as you can go from a great stay to a bad one, the opposite was equally likely for me last year. The Lanesborough has become one of my favourite properties in London, whilst Aman Tokyo managed to become one of my favourite city hotels.

I feel it's a time for forgiveness. Unless you're called Gora Kadan.
Glad to hear about Aman Tokyo (Not Gora Kadan)! I'm looking forward to writing up that portion of my trip report because that is by far the best city hotel we've stayed at (although I think RC Hong Kong service wins out by a hair). Great pictures! I'm surprised you got pictures for the onsen area. The thought of going in there with my camera gave me second thoughts.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Anlun
Glad to hear about Aman Tokyo (Not Gora Kadan)! I'm looking forward to writing up that portion of my trip report because that is by far the best city hotel we've stayed at (although I think RC Hong Kong service wins out by a hair). Great pictures! I'm surprised you got pictures for the onsen area. The thought of going in there with my camera gave me second thoughts.
I always try to be decent with photography, so I went in at 6:30am. In our time in the pool over 4 days, which was a considerable amount, we only saw 1 other couple so it seemed a safe bet.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:37 am

Andddddd now my work day is shot thanks to your blog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.