Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 11:34 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Are my Google skills failing me, or has there really been no discussion on this hotel in over five years?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...one-tokyo.html

If you search for Tokyo in this forum - you should come up with more (there are a fair number of threads that discuss Tokyo hotels in general). Robyn
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: continental one pass, delta skymiles, platinum american express
I stayed at 3 Shangri-la properties on my "Around the World in 90 Days" trip (see my blog: www.toscanoworldtrip.blogspot.com). They were the Shangri-la Tokyo, Island Shangri-la (Honk Kong) and the Valley Wing of the Shangri-la (Singapore) which is like a luxury hotel within the hotel. IMHO and without any previous stays at the Shangri-la chain, I can say they were each fabulous luxury hotels and among the best of my trip (no easy feat since it included: Burj al Arab (Dubai), Qasar al Sarab (Al Liwa Desert), Principe di Savoia (Milan), San Clemente Palace (Venice), Four Seasons (Florence), Fairmont (Monte Carlo), Intercontinental (Geneva), Westin (Frankfurt). Having previously stayed at the Peninsula Beijing and looking at both Tokyo properties (facilities, service, room, location, concierge lounge) and the reviews, I was happy to have chosen the Tokyo Shangri-la. I did however, have to take into account traveling with my wife and 9y/o daughter so the kid factor (need a pool) factored heavily in my decisions.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:25 pm

Touches

I have yet to be disappointed at any Shangri-la property. There's is the most perfect touch.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by rtlaw
I stayed at 3 Shangri-la properties on my "Around the World in 90 Days" trip (see my blog: www.toscanoworldtrip.blogspot.com). They were the Shangri-la Tokyo, Island Shangri-la (Honk Kong) and the Valley Wing of the Shangri-la (Singapore) which is like a luxury hotel within the hotel. IMHO and without any previous stays at the Shangri-la chain, I can say they were each fabulous luxury hotels and among the best of my trip (no easy feat since it included: Burj al Arab (Dubai), Qasar al Sarab (Al Liwa Desert), Principe di Savoia (Milan), San Clemente Palace (Venice), Four Seasons (Florence), Fairmont (Monte Carlo), Intercontinental (Geneva), Westin (Frankfurt). Having previously stayed at the Peninsula Beijing and looking at both Tokyo properties (facilities, service, room, location, concierge lounge) and the reviews, I was happy to have chosen the Tokyo Shangri-la. I did however, have to take into account traveling with my wife and 9y/o daughter so the kid factor (need a pool) factored heavily in my decisions.
Weird bump...considering you posted your link earlier in this thread.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Weird bump...considering you posted your link earlier in this thread.
Tend to agree, but I am leaving the second post for now because it does contain some new information. Still I recommend that in general, this sort of repetition be avoided, especially when it can be read as possibly being there just to promote an off-site blog.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: continental one pass, delta skymiles, platinum american express
Actually, my blog is not being promoted- it started when I started my trip in April 2012 and finished when I finished my trip in July 2012. It is not an ongoing blog (no posts in a year and a half) However, many have referred to the Shangri-la chain as not being luxury- this is mind-boggling since I had never been to a Shangri-La hotel before my trip (nor have I after) and it is not just coincidence that among my first hotels, 3 were Shangri-la's and were among the best of my trip. I only included the blog so they could see the rooms and facilities at these hotels as well as other pertinent information so that that the readers can make more informed choices- which after all is one of the purposes of FlyerTalk.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:06 pm

I just booked 9 nights in a Deluxe Suite (requested park view) at The Peninsula for November '14. We have an upgrade through Virtuoso and I was wondering what to expect; does this mean we'll get bumped up to the Marunouchi Suite which according to the floor plan is smaller in sq. footage and doesn't offer park views? Should I have booked into a lesser room category expecting to get bumped up to the Deluxe Suite with a Virtuoso upgrade, or is it risky with November being high season for western tourists coming to experience koyo? Any chance of getting bumped up to the Hibiya Suite or fat chance? While the location is unbeatable and features seem excellent, I can't say that I'm all too impressed with the rooms themselves that I've seen online. I was watching youtube footage of the Deluxe Suites and they look rather boring and generic. Some videos even showed shabby looking stained carpets. The big wow factor always seems to be the mood lighting and electronic windows, bed, toilets, etc. That stuff is all very nice but are the rooms themselves up to par for the price and reputation afforded to this property? We're staying on our honeymoon and I want to be certain this is the best option in the city.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:16 pm

Does anyone know if the Aman Tokyo is slated to open by November of 2014?

Have there been any conceptual designs, layouts, photos, etc. made available yet? Does anyone know the exact location, design concept, specs?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:59 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Regarding the Peninsula Tokyo, the highest Virtuoso upgrade is TO the Deluxe Suite. No further upgrade is available according to the Virtuoso contract. I find that Peninsula Hotels, especially in Hong Kong and Tokyo, to be particularly stringent on the rules.

You may wish to consider the Mandarin Oriental -- I have gotten clients upgraded at booking from Dynasty to Oriental suite in the past.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:26 pm

Thanks, the M.O. looks very nice but it doesn't have the prime location that the Pen has. I think we'll stick with our booking at The Peninsula but since our Tokyo trip will be split up by a 2 night stay at Gora Kadan in Hakone, I may adjust the second half upon return to the new Aman property, once photos and reviews are posted. Perhaps our Virtuoso agent can negotiate an upgrade to the Oriental Suite at the M.O. otherwise for this portion of our stay, if we decide against the Aman. Unless we fall in love with The Peninsula for some reason. It might be fun to split things up though.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what are pen club exclusions?

Originally Posted by luxury
PenClub
Room upgrade to the next category upon arrival (some exclusions apply)
could also check FHR contract.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22001982-post355.html link to last post

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 22, 2013 at 10:08 am
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:48 am

Is Pen Club a promotional offer or a Rewards Program that one needs to sign up for?

My only concern is jumping from the Deluxe Suite to the Marunouchi Suite, which is a smaller room size and facing away from the park and Imperial Palace. In fact, I don't quite understand why it's considered an upgrade over the Deluxe Suite category or why it's a "Specialty Suite", apart from possibly being situated on a higher floor. Does anyone know more about it?

EDIT: Just read about the Pen Club and wrote to my Virtuoso agent to get in on it! I'm hoping for an upgrade to the Hibiya Suite and might even try to negotiate a cash upgrade to the Pen Suite on arrival.

Last edited by OliverB; Dec 22, 2013 at 10:14 am
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:05 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OliverB
Does anyone know if the Aman Tokyo is slated to open by November of 2014?

Have there been any conceptual designs, layouts, photos, etc. made available yet? Does anyone know the exact location, design concept, specs?
The building location, on the Maronouchi side of the station a few buildings west of the Maronouchi building, has been established for some time. It is supposed to be open by summer, 2014, but who knows?

This is discussed towards the end of this thread, which is the best place to ask further questions so we keep this thread on-topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

I'll be in Tokyo in February and if no one has reported in by then will try to remember to wander by and see how it looks.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:18 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by OliverB
Perhaps our Virtuoso agent can negotiate an upgrade
Wouldn't that be the best course of action from the start in place of posting in a public forum if xyz suite upgrades to abc suite? Plus you are 11 months out from your stay... Peninsula barely has Q1 2014 promos available, let alone Q3
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Wouldn't that be the best course of action from the start in place of posting in a public forum if xyz suite upgrades to abc suite? Plus you are 11 months out from your stay... Peninsula barely has Q1 2014 promos available, let alone Q3
I have obviously done that, I was simply trying to get more information on the specific suite categories as my Virtuoso TA has never visited the property and there are many here who seem to be more familiar with The Pen in Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.