Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by JohnRain
I recently completed a stay at the Shangri-La in a Horizon Club Premier Room and my overall impression was very positive. My point of reference remains the Ritz Carlton (Club Level) where I stayed in a Club Tower Suite last year.
Shangri-La summary:
We stayed at the SL last summer and loved it. Also on horizon club floor in premier room. Since our corner room overlooked the station too, we might have even been in the exact same room. We were on the highest floor. FWIW we could not hear the trains.

Very friendly staff. Remembered our names.

The best eggs benedicts I have ever had. Didn't see that coming.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:10 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by nmuva98
Hoping for advice on an upcoming, very short 1-nigth stay in Tokyo.

So I travel to Tokyo a few times a year. Have a bachelor party coming up that happens to coincide with a long holiday weekend in Hong Kong (where I live). So once the bachelor party activities are over, I've decided to extend my trip an extra day just to relax/recover.

Recovery day will be a Sunday--early afternoon, evening, and then through mid-afternoon on Monday. Since I will have been out and about for 3 days prior to that, all over Tokyo, I'm more than happy to just spend my recovery day at the hotel itself, relaxing. So location, access to outside bars/restaurants, etc. is not a huge concern. Also, will be by myself, so need a place where I can not only enjoy the room, but also spa, pool, bars, restaurants, etc. with at least some people-watching so I'm not completely bored out of my skull.

This will be one of the first times I've ever done just a 1-night stay anywhere, so want to get the most out of it that I can. On past trips have already done:
1) The Pen (underwhelming in most aspects)
2) R-C (loved the Roppongi location & amazing views but rooms were a bit old--but never tried club level, and based on MikeFromTokyo's reccs I was tempted to try again)
3) Shangri-La (rooms not quite a big and w/o separate dressing rooms, but brand new and very nice)

Wanting to try something new, I believe I have narrowed it down to:

1) The MO (never stayed there before, but have done the Tapas Molecular Bar & the Mandarin Bar on previous visits and liked the overall feel of the property)
2) Aman

I usually would just do the Aman, but having just come off a disappointing Amanpuri stay I'm a bit hesitant to spend the extra cash (roughly 500 USD for base room at MO vs. 900 at Aman), especially given it's just a 1-night stay.

Any thoughts?
I loved Aman's hard product! There were things that I missed vs. other Amans (i.e. knowing my room number, empty lobby, etc...) but still, it's so stunning! Now, I must have a 30 meter lantern looking atrium in my next house! The pool is just gorgeous...fell asleep there and almost missed dinner at Yoshitake I think you will enjoy relaxing at Aman's pool after an eventful weekend.

Heading back to Tokyo myself in July and debating Club at RC or Entry at Aman (while paying more)...I will likely end up at Aman again.

Book via a Virtuoso TA and help reduce the cost a bit with breakfast and hotel credit ... though, you'd get that at MO as well so it's a wash. But it's good to spoil yourself every so often

Side note: I actually just canceled my visit/review to Puri based on how much poor feedback I'm seeing. Seems Puri is no longer a flagship property as it once was. I still love the Bali Amans the most from a service perspective, still has the Aman soul.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
+1 fan of RC club level

just returned from a 1 week stay at the RC tokyo club level. I felt the cost to upgrade was well worth the price. While the on-site concierge service was excellent, the pre-trip planning (primarily restaurant reservations) I felt was good, not great (though it appears that even for club-level stays, reservation requests get punted to the general concierge). After hearing raves for the Aman and Peninsula concierges, I am tempted to give one of those hotels a shot, but it will be a tough decision.

The stay was much better than my prior Tokyo stays at PH / GH.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DrGiggles
just returned from a 1 week stay at the RC tokyo club level. I felt the cost to upgrade was well worth the price. While the on-site concierge service was excellent, the pre-trip planning (primarily restaurant reservations) I felt was good, not great (though it appears that even for club-level stays, reservation requests get punted to the general concierge). After hearing raves for the Aman and Peninsula concierges, I am tempted to give one of those hotels a shot, but it will be a tough decision.

I posted awhile back (late 2016 IIRC) about my bad experience with the Pen concierge. They said all requests would take 2 weeks, which at any hotel is unacceptable.

I ended up switching my reservation to the MO and will not be staying at the Pen anytime soon.

I kinda want someone to see if this is still the case, but also want to warn you that it seems the concierge isn't what it used to be.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:06 am

A bad experience with the concierge at the Peninsula is one of the many reasons I have since written off the hotel.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when aman opened, well regarded pen concierge moved to aman

individual staff/managers can make huge differences, good/bad

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 26, 2017 at 11:42 am
Old May 26, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SLC_IAH
We stayed at the SL last summer and loved it. Also on horizon club floor in premier room. Since our corner room overlooked the station too, we might have even been in the exact same room.

The best eggs benedicts I have ever had. Didn't see that coming.
The only thing that bothers me with Shangrila Tokyo (and a reason I won't go back) is they seem to enforce a one hot entree policy and everything else is chargeable. If you want to be a top 5 Tokyo hotel and charge top rates then you would think letting someone have pancakes and eggs would be fine. The thing that got me was when they said all their competitors moved to that policy (totally untrue!).
Old May 26, 2017, 6:30 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine
The only thing that bothers me with Shangrila Tokyo (and a reason I won't go back) is they seem to enforce a one hot entree policy and everything else is chargeable. If you want to be a top 5 Tokyo hotel and charge top rates then you would think letting someone have pancakes and eggs would be fine. The thing that got me was when they said all their competitors moved to that policy (totally untrue!).
Cheap and lame. Up there with daily $ limits for breakfasts that only cover a few of the items. Would rather honesty than playing games by wanting you to spend money on "free" breakfast
Old May 26, 2017, 10:07 pm
THR

Originally Posted by DrGiggles

Can you advise where you actually booked? I have tried a few locations but they haven't been able to obtain any bookings. I'm staying mid-June for six nights, and would appreciate any restaurant recommendations that RC booked for you...
Old May 27, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
A bad experience with the concierge at the Peninsula is one of the many reasons I have since written off the hotel.
The service standard and F&B at Peninsula has fallen so much that it's almost a joke in my last stay. Only good thing still going for it is the location.

Originally Posted by Aventine
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Cheap and lame. Up there with daily $ limits for breakfasts that only cover a few of the items. Would rather honesty than playing games by wanting you to spend money on "free" breakfast

Yes, it's a ridiculous policy by some hotels. Either all buffet or free-to-order from ala carte. BTW, if you booked the club room at the Shangri-la, then this is not a problem. You can have breakfast at the club lounge which is fabulous. They got their own separate menu you can order in addition to the buffet spread and the staff will get the kitchen to make whatever you want. No extra-charge.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
The service standard and F&B at Peninsula has fallen so much that it's almost a joke in my last stay. Only good thing still going for it is the location.
I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who has grown to hate the place!

With MO, S-L, FSM, Palace, Aman and Andaz all in close proximity, I say that there is absolutely no reason to even stay for the location.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:30 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I'd love a pros/con review of the SPG Luxury Collection's Prince Gallery Koiocho property versus the other obvious luxury hotels (i.e. Aman, MO, S-L, PH, Andaz, Palace, RC. etc) from those who know Tokyo well.

I've been told that this Prince Gallery is one of the best in the Luxury Collection portfolio, so I am curious what everyone here might think. Thanks!
Old May 28, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who has grown to hate the place!

With MO, S-L, FSM, Palace, Aman and Andaz all in close proximity, I say that there is absolutely no reason to even stay for the location.
How is Andaz?
I heard a lot about it from people interested in points, but little from this board.
I know it's Tony Chi designed, so it has that going for itself (though those green carpets in the rooms look puzzling...)
Old May 28, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by 0bsidian
How is Andaz?
I heard a lot about it from people interested in points, but little from this board.
I know it's Tony Chi designed, so it has that going for itself (though those green carpets in the rooms look puzzling...)
I love it. You definitely need at least a large corner room, if not a suite. I will say that I have always had exceptional service at this hotel because I was already known to management from day one. So, I cannot objectively comment on service as most first time guests would experience it. If you are a fan of Tony Chi design and like what you have seen and heard about the hotel, I woud encourage you to try it.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:46 pm

I love it. You definitely need at least a large corner room, if not a suite. I will say that I have always had exceptional service at this hotel because I was already known to management from day one. So, I cannot objectively comment on service as most first time guests would experience it. If you are a fan of Tony Chi design and like what you have seen and heard about the hotel, I woud encourage you to try it.
I also think the location is totally underrated. 7 minutes to the Ginza line and a nice 15 minute walk to Shinbashi or heart of Ginza. There is also a truly fantastic soba-ya a block away (among the best soba in the city)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.