Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:55 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jxw181
Quick question for anyone that's stayed at both hotels: is the Park Hyatt worth the premium over the Prince Gallery Tokyo? I'll be in Tokyo for four nights in November, and the Park Hyatt is ~$250 per night more than the Prince Gallery.

I've been to the Park Hyatt in the past, and I had a phenomenal stay. Of course, I agree with others on FT that the 90's retro office look is not exactly inspiring.

Consensus in the master thread is that the Prince Gallery is a phenomenal hotel, but is it in the same league as the Park Hyatt? I'm not particularly concerned about on-site dining or club access as I plan to do my eating outside of the hotel. I am a SPG Platinum for what it's worth with no status in Hyatt.

I also remember the Park Hyatt being a bit of a hike from Shinjuku station. Is the Prince better located for exploring the city? Thanks!
Consensus in both Luxury Forum and Starwood Forum is that both the Prince Gallery and Park Hyatt are excellent hotels, but it also is blatantly obvious that the Prince Gallery is the far more current and luxurious feeling hotel in its design and most amenities. Some even have gone so far as to describe the Prince Gallery’s ambience and design as Aman-like in this thread.

There are like 6 Expert Revuews in the Starwood Master thread for the Prince Gallery, all saying how wonderful it is. There are many comments in the PH Master thread talking about how dated the PH has become.

The fact that you’re SPG Platinum should make this an even bigger no-brainer IMO. You’re likely to get upgraded to a nicer room if not a suite, and you’ll get added value with the breakfast benefit.

The PH used to be legendary. Now it’s resting on the laurels of its Lost in Translation fame. But choose according to your gut.

For me, it’s a no brainer, which is why we are staying at the Prince Gallery in May even over the Aman Tokyo. I’ll be sure to write up an Expert Review of the Prince Gallery here in this Luxury Forum thread for Tokyo, too, since that obviously will be extremely useful.
jxw181 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I am dated then myself as I am currently in the usual entry-level suite at the PH and I still think it's great. Nothing in the room is faded, damaged, or looks old, and small improvements continue to show up every time I stay here.

I also like some of the services avaialable to all guests but, like everything in Japan, not generally publicized: free mobile phone loan, free bicycle loan, and free door charge at the NY bar.
jxw181 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Quick question for anyone that's stayed at both hotels: is the Park Hyatt worth the premium over the Prince Gallery Tokyo? I'll be in Tokyo for four nights in November, and the Park Hyatt is ~$250 per night more than the Prince Gallery.

I've been to the Park Hyatt in the past, and I had a phenomenal stay. Of course, I agree with others on FT that the 90's retro office look is not exactly inspiring.

Consensus in the master thread is that the Prince Gallery is a phenomenal hotel, but is it in the same league as the Park Hyatt? I'm not particularly concerned about on-site dining or club access as I plan to do my eating outside of the hotel. I am a SPG Platinum for what it's worth with no status in Hyatt.

I also remember the Park Hyatt being a bit of a hike from Shinjuku station. Is the Prince better located for exploring the city? Thanks!
I liken Prince Gallery to Andaz Tokyo. Looks and feels newer and hipper, but the hard product, especially the spa and restaurants are, IMO, are on a lower level of luxury than Park Hyatt.

Prince Gallery definitely has better access to subway lines, but there is no place in central Tokyo that is truely inconvenient for access to transportation.

Neither hotel is in any way a "bad" choice.
jxw181 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:36 pm

Between PH and Peninsula - I assume everyone would choose the latter?
Location, ambiance and service matter to us the most. But... I am Diamond (errr...Globalist) with Hyatt, so can get a suite at PH, and (since my stay is in 2018) - I will get stay credits for re-qualification...if you were in the same situation - would you still go with Peninsula? Or PH?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
Location, ambiance and service matter to us the most. But... I am Diamond (errr...Globalist) with Hyatt, so can get a suite at PH, and (since my stay is in 2018) - I will get stay credits for re-qualification...if you were in the same situation - would you still go with Peninsula? Or PH?
I really don’t like The Peninsula Tokyo very much at all, even though I am a big fan of most Pen properties.

I would say a Suite at Park Hyatt trumps a room at the Peninsula. And, if you need the nights for status, that’s all the more reason to consider it.

The PH is not what it once was, but then again neither is the Peninsula. And the Park Hyatt had a very significantly longer reign as best in town. Even though times have changed, PH is still a beautiful, iconic hotel. I think if you haven’t been yet, you still should have the experience. The same cannot be said for the pen, IMO.

Peninsula is possibly my least favorite of them all. I once liked it, but have been highly disappointed by it.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:26 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

I've stayed at both and strongly strongly prefer the Prince Gallery. This might be a bit up to personal taste, but personally I would stay at the Prince Gallery even if it were a slight premium to the Park Hyatt. The Park Hyatt is great, but it's a bit old, and in a significantly worse location. The Prince Gallery is absolutely in the same league. That said, it's a bit of a different style—modern vs. classic.
jxw181 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the feedback all! Unbelievably helpful!

I decided to book at the Prince Gallery Hotel, and I'll be sure to submit a review after my stay .
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I liken Prince Gallery to Andaz Tokyo. Looks and feels newer and hipper, but the hard product, especially the spa and restaurants are, IMO, are on a lower level of luxury than Park Hyatt.

Prince Gallery definitely has better access to subway lines, but there is no place in central Tokyo that is truely inconvenient for access to transportation.

Neither hotel is in any way a "bad" choice.
What makes you say it's on a lower level of luxury? It's very much on par, I'd say. Large rooms, high end concierge, high-touch service where you're always taken care of (they take you to your room, show you around, etc.) Luxurious amenities, great views. I think both have 100% excellent service, a great hard product, and are at the very highest levels of upscale. It's just a different style, old classic luxury vs. modern luxury, both with a Japanese flair.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:34 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
We saw similarly fun and amazing Halloween tea at the Conrad last September/October. Best hotel we've ever stayed at. The exec lounge food alone was worth the cost.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
We saw similarly fun and amazing Halloween tea at the Conrad last September/October. Best hotel we've ever stayed at. The exec lounge food alone was worth the cost.
I do love the Conrad. It's so tough picking favorites in Tokyo… it's a city with great options all around. Only SPG didn't have a decent option until a couple years ago. (Well, does IHG? There's an IC, but I don't know if it's any good.)
IBobi and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
What makes you say it's on a lower level of luxury? It's very much on par, I'd say. Large rooms, high end concierge, high-touch service where you're always taken care of (they take you to your room, show you around, etc.) Luxurious amenities, great views. I think both have 100% excellent service, a great hard product, and are at the very highest levels of upscale. It's just a different style, old classic luxury vs. modern luxury, both with a Japanese flair.
The amenities, the towels, the spa facilities, the Japanese restaurants. Neither is bad, and it's all based on my perception.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would take Prince Gallery since that's a significant price difference and you're a SPG Platinum.

It depends if I needed to be near Ginza or not, needed Hyatt stay credits and the price. Pen Tokyo isn't like its other Asian siblings.

Last edited by Aventine; Nov 3, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:10 am

I've stayed at both.

Stay at Prince Gallery and use SNA, if available.

We did that for 4 nights and got upgraded to a Kioi Suite. Few little quirks in the room, but overall very nice. Room service food nothing special. Lounge breakfast is quite nice - very pastry heavy throughout the day. I can say that main restaurant's breakfast selection is bigger than Park Hyatt's.

Hotel is hard to locate for some taxi drivers, we got dropped off nearby the hotels a couple of times - luckily we used Limo Bus from NRT.

Subway, small supermarket and some restaurants in the basement.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
I have to do this each time I stay at Aman Tokyo, which is pretty stupid because it's the same card on the same email thread from my previous stays.
Originally Posted by MattEvan
This is super common across hotels in JPN. Everything by the book, and on paper.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Yes, that is cultural, and can't be helped usually. I find it easier to just fill out the form than to bother discussing it.
Sorry to belabor this point, but I really want to understand the cultural norms. I'm currently working with the PH Tokyo and Conrad Osaka on future stay requests and neither concierge has asked for scans of my CC - they have only asked for a signed authorization form. So is it just the authorization form that seems always required, or also the CC scans? As I noted in later posts, I don't have nearly as much a problem with the form as I do the CC scans.

Apologies that I haven't gotten my Peninsula review up yet, but based on my recent experience there I won't consider the property again. That said, I'd think any decision on PH has to strongly factor in location.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gengar
Sorry to belabor this point, but I really want to understand the cultural norms. I'm currently working with the PH Tokyo and Conrad Osaka on future stay requests and neither concierge has asked for scans of my CC - they have only asked for a signed authorization form. So is it just the authorization form that seems always required, or also the CC scans? As I noted in later posts, I don't have nearly as much a problem with the form as I do the CC scans.
PH is really weird. They wanted me to fax the forms (who has one of those these days?) and then send 2 separate emails with CC number and CVC code. I told the hotel manager they need to modernize that process and simplify it for guests. Their competition doesn't make people do those kinds of things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.