Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:28 am

Currently have a bookings for just after Christmas at the Princes Gallery Club room and also Mandarin Oriental standard room but with breakfast and really struggling to decide which one to keep. Both are a stretch/annual treat and £300 over four nights price difference with MO being the most expensive.

We like a nice club room and had a great stay at the Conrad two years ago but fancied a change and liked the sound and price for both. Unlikely to use either's restaurants but will use the bar for a couple of treats.

Anyway for more frequent travellers what would your choice be and why. Also keeping an eye on rates for the Shangri-La.

Last edited by flapland; Aug 3, 2017 at 6:29 am Reason: grammar !
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flapland
Currently have a bookings for just after Christmas at the Princes Gallery Club room and also Mandarin Oriental standard room but with breakfast and really struggling to decide which one to keep. Both are a stretch/annual treat and £300 over four nights price difference with MO being the most expensive.

We like a nice club room and had a great stay at the Conrad two years ago but fancied a change and liked the sound and price for both. Unlikely to use either's restaurants but will use the bar for a couple of treats.

Anyway for more frequent travellers what would your choice be and why. Also keeping an eye on rates for the Shangri-La.
I would give Prince Gallery a try. The MO standard rooms really need work done on them. They're horrendous at their price point.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I would give Prince Gallery a try. The MO standard rooms really need work done on them. They're horrendous at their price point.
Many thanks, I think I will do that unless a great deal comes up for the Shangri-la or even the Ritz Carlton although I can't see the later coming down to £500ish a night though.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:39 am

While they are not new, I do think that the standard rooms at MO Tokyo are within acceptable limits. I would always take at least a corner room or a Mandarin Room, but horrendous is not a word that I feel applies to anything about this excellent hotel.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
While they are not new, I do think that the standard rooms at MO Tokyo are within acceptable limits. I would always take at least a corner room or a Mandarin Room, but horrendous is not a word that I feel applies to anything about this excellent hotel.
I had one that was beat up. Dinged corners, wallpaper and worn carpets. They quickly moved me up to their credit though. I never wanted to believe PH had dinged up suites either until I got one 2 weeks ago. Many stays with an old but pristine suite and then one with torn origami lamp, bruised up wallpapers and torn corners. It happens.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:58 am

I had one that was beat up. Dinged corners, wallpaper and worn carpets. They quickly moved me up to their credit though. I never wanted to believe PH had dinged up suites either until I got one 2 weeks ago. Many stays with an old but pristine suite and then one with torn origami lamp, bruised up wallpapers and torn corners. It happens.
That's shocking. The standard rooms I have seen are okay, but it seems some must be better than others. If they had space, they should have just upgraded you in the first place instead of putting you in a last sell room!
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:37 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
This makes me very happy with my free room and likely upgraded suite at the Prince Gallery. Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by flapland

I'm in love with the PG after a few stays there, but the room type I think matters quite a lot here, the standard Deluxe rooms are nice, but the Grand Deluxe Corner rooms and above are truly spectacular (particularly the bathrooms, which have a wall of windows you can stand under the rainfall shower and look out over the skyline from). I would recommend booking the next room type up if you can. They are very sparing with upgrades even for SPG Platinums, as the room types above Club are frequently sold out (for obvious reasons!).

Also, as great as the Conrad Tokyo is in the context of Conrads, the PG is in a totally different class to the Conrad, so don't worry about that.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Virtuoso has a Shangrila Tokyo 4 nights for 3 promo with 100 usd credit and room upgrade but only until Sep 2017. You may want to wait and see if this promo is extended, it was a steal for me, and their rooms are very new and modern.

https://www.virtuoso.com/hotels/6562867/shangri-la-hotel-tokyo

Last edited by kzap; Aug 12, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:21 am

Thanks all, you have given me a few ideas. Lost_in_translation the Corner rooms do look very nice but I will have to drop them a email to ask if they can provide the room with twin beds as for a range of reasons we really need them. I know I can upgrade for around £95 a night.

Kzap the Virtuoso deal does seem to be valid over Christmas so may well come into play.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I'm in love with the PG after a few stays there, but the room type I think matters quite a lot here, the standard Deluxe rooms are nice, but the Grand Deluxe Corner rooms and above are truly spectacular (particularly the bathrooms, which have a wall of windows you can stand under the rainfall shower and look out over the skyline from). I would recommend booking the next room type up if you can. They are very sparing with upgrades even for SPG Platinums, as the room types above Club are frequently sold out (for obvious reasons!).
How is the PG location compared to MO and RC? I didn't care for the Four Seasons location (felt a little too corporate).

Considering a Kioi suite in PG or Deluxe Suite in Pen in December and the price point favors PG & Pen over MO & RC.
I like staying in my room while travelling, so the comfort & location matter

Last edited by op487062; Aug 23, 2017 at 3:01 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:29 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The Prince Gallery is located in a quiet but very central location, right next to the imperial palace's park. About halfway between Ginza and Roppongi and very close to both. It's on top of two large subway stations (one of which has its entrance in front of the hotel's building, and the other straight from the building's basement. You can get to all major parts of Tokyo in a few stops without changing.
uggboy and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by helvetic; Aug 29, 2017 at 2:26 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The Prince Gallery is an excellent location if you enjoy fishing and visiting the New Otani.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
The Prince Gallery is an excellent location if you enjoy fishing and visiting the New Otani.
And people should do just that, for Trader Vic's bar, Nadaman Sazanka-so, La Tour d'Argent, and ... the great outdoor swimming pool that non staying guests can access for a fee. A wonderful way to spend a Summer afternoon in Tokyo.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
and ... the great outdoor swimming pool that non staying guests can access for a fee.
No doubt a ridiculous fee at that...like the 8000 yen they charge for the Garden Pool at Prince Grand New Takanawa. Though it is quite a swank pool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.