Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
What is the #1 hotel in terms of location and luxury? I'm sure it's mentioned in here, but hard to go through all 70 pages.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
mori shutting down dec 31 2015
until then airport charter [‎¥270,000]
years ago they sold seats
https://web.archive.org/web/20160305...f/close_01.pdf
Discontinuation of Helicopter Service...Mori Building City Air Services Co., Ltd. will discontinue our helicopter service as of December 31, 2015
website down >
https://web.archive.org/web/20160330...ww.mcas.co.jp/

non-charter ended jun 30 2011 (improving economy?)
https://web.archive.org/web/20110727.../20110701.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20101121...ght/faretable/

edit - looking at Prince Gallery thread, i see a luxury hotels forum / aman regular preferred RC, and an SPG regular said RC more polished.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 30, 2017 at 12:11 pm
Old May 30, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by 100% Green
What is the #1 hotel in terms of location and luxury? I'm sure it's mentioned in here, but hard to go through all 70 pages.
That's a subjective matter. For me it's Ritz-Carlton club level. Location in Tokyo is a relative term, but R-C's location is pretty unbeatable for leisure travelers. Business travelers often will choose the hotels closest to their offices and meeting locations.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

There's no clear no. 1 here. Just go where is convenient for your business matters or leisure and where treats you well.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Hard product: Aman Tokyo
Soft product: Tossup
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:03 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
As others have mentioned above, it's very subjective...

I'm heading back to Tokyo next month en-route to Amanpulo

Was between returning to Aman Tokyo or RC at the Club Level.

Ultimately, decided to book myself at RC with an upgrade to a Corner Suite with Club access.

While I love Aman's hard product, I really felt the service was actually better at the Ritz's Club Level and since I had just booked a few clients at the RC Tokyo, thought I'd just go for another visit myself.

Also, not sure if this matters but currently, there's a 4th night free promotion w/ STARS agents and nothing too interesting at Aman.
Easier to upgrade at booking at RC as well.

Now, if I can mix Aman's hard product with RC's Club service then I've got something
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Agree that it's tough, so I'm splitting my 10-day trip between Palace Hotel, Aman (Corner Suite), and RC Club Level (in that order). I am curious to see how they handle our infant (ie, whether the requested amenities will all be there).

Was at Prince Gallery in March and wasn't as impressed as some others on this thread. Mostly, there was a random girl who would sleep in the hallway. Once she was just outside my door, which really freaked me out. I told the front desk and they were surprised too, but I don't know if they ever found her.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:55 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Was at Prince Gallery in March and wasn't as impressed as some others on this thread. Mostly, there was a random girl who would sleep in the hallway. Once she was just outside my door, which really freaked me out. I told the front desk and they were surprised too, but I don't know if they ever found her.
Other than the random girl, what else about the Prince Gallery impressed and didn't impress you?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:36 pm

Well, the random girl was a big part of it. The fact that security couldn't figure it out baffles me. With all the times you have to swipe your key before getting onto the guest floors, you would think they would have made this a bigger priority.

I was happy with the hard product. To me, it's almost like a mini-Aman at a mini-Aman price. Nice feel overall, but smaller tub, smaller pool, smaller bar, etc.

The location is good, but one annoying thing is that the taxis could never find the carpark. I was always just dropped off at the side of the road.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:59 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Well, the random girl was a big part of it. The fact that security couldn't figure it out baffles me. With all the times you have to swipe your key before getting onto the guest floors, you would think they would have made this a bigger priority.
Understood...but that obviously was a wildly unusual experience that is a negligible consideration for almost anyone's experience otherwise.

I was happy with the hard product. To me, it's almost like a mini-Aman at a mini-Aman price. Nice feel overall, but smaller tub, smaller pool, smaller bar, etc.
Fabulous. Your appraisal mirrors the hard product review of almost everyone I know who has stayed there.

What did you think of the service and soft product (aside from the security issue with the girl)?

The location is good, but one annoying thing is that the taxis could never find the carpark.
Not uncommon for new hotels.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

What did you think of the service and soft product (aside from the security issue with the girl)?
Aside from the girl, the service was good and they did everything I asked them for: Shoes were shined and shirts were ironed in a timely manner. Concierge was quick to book restaurant reservations. Check-out and check-in were fast. Club staff helped me mail a package.

The best part was the bartender who took apart a tap handle because I couldn't figure out how it worked. It had flow control but not like the ones I see in the US where there's a little dial on the side to control the stream. This one produced finer bubbles when pushed in and bigger ones when pulled out. (I'm still not sure how it works.)
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I tend to be a creature of habit and have stayed at the Conrad a lot of times. I've also stayed at the PH twice.

I was thinking of trying somewhere new on a one night stay after 5 nights in Kyoto. My flight is not until 11pm from HND (QR 813).

I have access to some quite good corporate rates and can get a regular room at the MO or Andaz, or a Club Deluxe Room at the Prince Gallery for a similar price (around 45-52k JPY inc tax).

I hold mid-tier status with SPG and Hyatt at the moment but don't realistically expect either to give me a check-out anywhere near to 8pm. I'm more or less agnostic on location too, given how much time we'll have to make our way to HND and how easy it is to get everywhere on the subway.

I'm angling towards the Prince, as the hardware looks to be the best and I tend to find that great service doesn't always have a chance to shine through, on very short stays.

What do you all think?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Doesn't Pen club have 24 hour time? Not sure what your times are but check with your travel advisor and see what they can do for you...

fdw
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jermyn
I tend to be a creature of habit and have stayed at the Conrad a lot of times. I've also stayed at the PH twice.

I was thinking of trying somewhere new on a one night stay after 5 nights in Kyoto. My flight is not until 11pm from HND (QR 813).

I have access to some quite good corporate rates and can get a regular room at the MO or Andaz, or a Club Deluxe Room at the Prince Gallery for a similar price (around 45-52k JPY inc tax).

I hold mid-tier status with SPG and Hyatt at the moment but don't realistically expect either to give me a check-out anywhere near to 8pm. I'm more or less agnostic on location too, given how much time we'll have to make our way to HND and how easy it is to get everywhere on the subway.

I'm angling towards the Prince, as the hardware looks to be the best and I tend to find that great service doesn't always have a chance to shine through, on very short stays.

What do you all think?
It's going to be 2 or 3 transfers to get to the Haneda monorail but if you're intent on subwaying it then being on the Ginza line is best. Prince and Andaz check that box. If it's good weather and you're inclined you can walk to Shimbashi from Andaz and make it an even simpler 1 transfer to the Haneda Monorail. I'd go with the hotel most willing to give a late check-out and that satisfies your hardware needs.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:39 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Sorry, I wasn't too clear.

I meant that I can take the subway anywhere whilst spending time in the city. So, during the stay, location isn't too important.

For transport to Haneda I'd either take the Prince's direct limousine bus or cab it to Hamamatsucho and take the monorail, in the case of the MO/Andaz.

To me it looks like the ranking in terms of hard product is as follows

1. Prince
2. Andaz
3. MO

Is that a fair assessment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.