Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G

The Peninsula Beverly Hills

Map| 4 Reviews | 75% Recommended

9882 South Santa Monica Blvd Beverly Hills, CA US 90212

Peninsula Beverly Hills (0 Photo)

Having heard about the many accolades and songs of praise of this hotel I decided to book here for 2 of our 3 nights in Beverly Hills on the last leg of our 3 week long Asia trip.

I was ultimately disappointed with this hotel though I can see the potential of this hotel. Many small issues compounded to make for a frustrating stay which suggests larger systems breakdowns behind the scenes. However, the hotel also has elements which ought to be praised as well.

Booked a Grand Deluxe room at the Virtuoso rate which included upgrade if available at time of check-in, and daily continental breakfast. Originally, we had booked only one night and had been pre-upgraded to a Villa room since it was my sister's birthday. However, we subsequently extended the stay by one night and by that time the hotel was pretty much full. As such, we were confirmed in a Grand Deluxe room for both nights.

Room

Our Grand Deluxe room had a very classic decor with yellow walls and mint green accents. The room overlooked the front entrance of the hotel (and the Beverly Hilton beyond) so you could watch the stream of expensive and super-expensive cars come and go all day through a large window which opens up to let in fresh air. The same window was poor in blocking out the noise from the driveway and Little Santa Monica Boulevard. There was an arm chair, small coffee table, and a two seater sofa in the room. Square footage was about 550 sq feet or about 50 sq. meters.

The King bed was very comfortable and the monogrammed pillow-cases were a nice and unexpected touch. The bedside control panel only controlled the air conditioning fan speed (not temperature), the night light, valet call, and either DND or Make Up room call signs. There were 4 phones, one on each side of the bed with one a cordless unit, one in the WC and the other on the desk. Hi-speed internet was complimentary and the room also had a Bose Wave radio/cd unit.

The disappointment was the flat panel tv which was a cheapo Zenith unit which was less than 26" -- for a hotel which has Bang & Olufsen telephones as house phones, using Zenith was a glaring judgment error as while B&O and Peninsula can be synonomous, Zenith and Pen certainly are not.

The bathroom only had a single vanity, a deep soaking tub, separate WC and stall shower and stocked with Molton Brown toiletries. Upon request, Neutrogena products were also available.

Finally, a silver plated folding frame was left on the desk as a present from Mr. Ali Kasikci, Managing Director.

All in all, a comfortable room perfect for a short stay.

Service

We had requested foam pillows, sheets untucked at turndown and humidifier prior to arrival (made at time of booking). None of these requests were fulfilled.

Since we were celebrating my sister's birthday whilst at the hotel, at check-in the Front Desk agent offered to send up 2 glasses of champagne, another beverage of our choice (we chose Evian), and some chocolates. Unfortunately, the chocolates never arrived. I did not bother to complain about this at the time since it was a complimentary amenity but I did mention it in the written comments I left with the Front Desk Manager.

Service is VERY SLOOOOWWWW at this hotel. A request for ice will take 25-35 minutes. Ordering the continental breakfast from Room service in the morning takes 30-40 minutes to arrive. I cannot understand why a continental breakfast would take so long -- the apple juice was not even freshly squeezed. There was no extra pot of hot water for my tea which was like coffee by the time it arrived. My sister's coffee, however, was amongst the best coffee we have had in a room service breakfast. Pastries were decent but the croissants were ridiculous.

At check-in, the agent asked us at what time we would like our room to be serviced each day (12:00pm noon), and our newspaper preference (L.A. Times). Each morning, no newspaper, and housekeeping would still come by and leave us a message at 10:00am saying they were respecting our privacy. Amazingly, the room service attendant never clued in as to WHY we did not have a paper nor did he ever offer to get us one.

Our room key needed to be re-keyed twice as each time only one of our keys would work. Both times, the staff gave us a look of bewilderment, made us feel that we were imposing on them with a ridiculous request, and made us feel by their snide comments as if it were OUR fault.

We were encouraged to take home the monogrammed pillowcases which are Filli D'Oro. Very generous of the hotel!! However, the pillowcases disappeared the first morning and never came back. A call to housekeeping promised us we would have them by check-out. No pillowcases by checkout time. The Front Desk Manager has offered to send them to us and time will tell if we actually receive them.

I wanted to settle part of the room charges to a pre-paid AMEX lodging card valued at $250 CAD. I informed the Front Desk agent that it is in Canadian dollars. She ignored me and put it through for $250 USD. This ended up costing me over an hour of my time calling AMEX myself and liaising between AMEX and Front Desk to get this sorted out. Terribly frustrated!!

Dining

We ordered our breakfast from Room Service both mornings. The first morning we ordered only after waking up and it took over 30 minutes for delivery. The quality was pretty good, though the Apple juice wasn't freshly squeezed and the croissants were doughy, heavy, and tough. At check-out I was surprised to see a $8.50 or so surcharge for breakfast. It turns out that instead of 2 Continental Breakfasts inclusive you get a $32.00 credit. The Continental Breakfast costs $15.00 each so the additional amount for tax and service was billed to us. While it is not a huge amount it is disappointing to see this kind of nickel and diming.

One evening, feeling peckish, I ordered some soup and a ham and cheese sandwich. Thirty-five minutes later my soup and a sandwich arrived. Only after the waiter left I realised that my sandwich was a cheese only sandwich. Calling room service again I was promised another sandwich but no real apologies were offered. Another 25 minutes passed before the new sandwich appeared. The waiter was not concerned that the first sandwich was incorrect nor did he apologies either.

The quality of food is pretty good but not delicious as compared to other hotels. Portions on the whole are generous though their burger was on the skimpy side.

Concierge

The hotel offer a courtesy car to take you into Beverly Hills, Century City, and even up to the Hotel Bel-Air for a small charge (usually waived by tipping the driver well). This service is booked directly with the Concierge and the standard vehicle is a Lexus. Upon request, you can book their Rolls Royce Phantom. For a $20 gratuity we were able to go to the Hotel Bel-Air for lunch on the Silver Phantom.......... verrrrrrrryyyyy nice!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the Concierge service to be competent but nothing extraordinary. I did not find the Concierges to be overly friendly or willing to offer any extra help. This attitude defines the service we experienced throughout our stay -- barely competent but will not go any further or above and beyond.

Overall

Complimentary internet access is very much welcomed and I wish more luxury hotels would follow suit of Peninsula. The courtesy car being bookable is also very nice. Service needs polishing but if the hotel can get their service act together this would be an excellent hotel worthy of its reputation.

I have left comments with hotel management -- we shall see if, and how, they respond.

Peninsula Beverly Hills

Would you like to write a review on the The Peninsula Beverly Hills?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by IBtyen; Nov 17, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:24 am
Original Poster

It has been exactly a week since check-out and I have heard nothing from the hotel as of yet. Perhaps they have sent a letter.... and no sign of any pillow cases either.......
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:40 am

Call me crazy, but I read this thread and people had responded to it. Have posts been deleted?

Maybe I'm crazy?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhd87
Call me crazy, but I read this thread and people had responded to it. Have posts been deleted?

Maybe I'm crazy?
I believe there has been some touch ups done to this thread as well as I too am sure that there were some responses to my thread....
Old Aug 4, 2007, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by luxury
I believe there has been some touch ups done to this thread as well as I too am sure that there were some responses to my thread....
This is very odd. I am reporting it to a Mod. Maybe they know what happened....
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:32 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by bhd87
This is very odd. I am reporting it to a Mod. Maybe they know what happened....
It was necessary to delete 4 posts which were completely off topic. Two of the posts made no sense at all and 2 of the posts were in response to those posts. None of the deleted posts made any reference to the Peninsula .
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Yes, I do remember someone responding to this thread saying something to the effect of "Next time, try staying at the Pen," followed by a response from another poster saying something like "Is you drunk?"

I wonder if in the future, there should be a note saying that certain messages were deleted.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Obscure2K
It was necessary to delete 4 posts which were completely off topic. Two of the posts made no sense at all and 2 of the posts were in response to those posts. None of the deleted posts made any reference to the Peninsula .
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Originally Posted by francophile
I wonder if in the future, there should be a note saying that certain messages were deleted.
@:-) @:-) @:-)

I too believe there should be either a note, or leave the post intact but delete the text with a note.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
My main complaint with the Peninsula is that the windows are not effective at keeping out the street noise. There is no way to avoid this, unless you get a room/suite facing the inner courtyard. Otherwise, I was very impressed with the service, the accomodations and food (particlulary in the Belvedere restaurant at lunchtime).
Old Aug 5, 2007, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Hi Lux,

Thanks for the thorough review of the Pen-LA. I just wraped up a strong visit to the Pen-BKK and, despite my relatively few stays at Pens I was beginning to wonder if Pen could do anything poorly. Now I know they can . Given your two recent disappointing LA stays, what hotel would you try next?

Also...Im looking fwd to your FS Samui review. Im writing this reply from my villa at FS Samui right now. And although smallish, we seemed to get one of the best villas of the lot and are enjoying every moment. This has a chance to be among the very best resorts out there. Did you enjoy your stay here? Since this is just the start of a long stay, do you have any advice? If you want to keep this thread on topic, just PM me if you have any thoughts. Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

I think the next LA hotel for me is the Bel-Air. My mother and I are going to LA in November for a conference and I was hoping to have taken her to either the Pen or the Beverly Wilshire.

With my poor stays these two hotels are much lower on the list. The Bel-Air looks like a place my mother would like and I have heard wonderful reviews of the place.

My second choice would be the Four Seasons Los Angeles. I am hesitant to try the Beverly Hills Hotel as each Dorchester Hotel Group property I have stayed at thus far I have been disappointed (Dorchester London and Plaza Athenee Paris).
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:18 am

My second choice would be the Four Seasons Los Angeles. I am hesitant to try the Beverly Hills Hotel as each Dorchester Hotel Group property I have stayed at thus far I have been disappointed (Dorchester London and Plaza Athenee Paris).

Depending on what you are looking for in terms of ambience and location, I highly recommend the Four Seasons Los Angeles. It has become my location of choice in LA since the St. Regis closed and they are, in my experience, very good to Four Seasons regulars.

If you've just been at Koh Samui, the manager there was previously the front of house manager at the FS LA.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The hotel offer a courtesy car to take you into Beverly Hills, Century City, and even up to the Hotel Bel-Air for a small charge (usually waived by tipping the driver well). This service is booked directly with the Concierge and the standard vehicle is a Lexus. Upon request, you can book their Rolls Royce Phantom. For a $20 gratuity we were able to go to the Hotel Bel-Air for lunch on the Silver Phantom.......... verrrrrrrryyyyy nice!!!!!!!!!!!
is there better car service anywhere? (not including free airport transfers)
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:24 am

I am hesitant to try the Beverly Hills Hotel as each Dorchester Hotel Group property I have stayed at thus far I have been disappointed (Dorchester London and Plaza Athenee Paris).
You are right to stay away. There is simply nothing special to the Beverly Hills Hotel anymore, other than nostalgia and location. Others have surpassed them in terms of service and amenities. I had a recent meeting there and was astounded by the prices and lack of service.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
You are right to stay away. There is simply nothing special to the Beverly Hills Hotel anymore, other than nostalgia and location. Others have surpassed them in terms of service and amenities. I had a recent meeting there and was astounded by the prices and lack of service.
Recently, some friends had a flood in their house. Given that they have a great homeowners policy they were able to go to the hotel of their choice for the ten days it took to repair the damage. Their first choice was the BH Hotel. They stayed exactly one night. Said the service was atrocious and the pool was a mob scene. They moved into the Four Seasons on Doheny and had a great stay. The room was much much nicer & larger than the BH Hotel (same rate) & service was fantastic.
Re: Bel Air Hotel: I stayed there a couple of months ago for a weekend. It was heavenly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.