Search

Aman Resorts vs. Bulgari Bali

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2007, 9:41 pm
Original Poster
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Aman Resorts vs. Bulgari Bali

I just came back from Bali staying at Amanjiwo, Amankila and the new Bulgari Hotel. I am sought of an Amanjunkie so I have a bias towards that resort. I have been to numerous Aman Resort around the world and this was my 4th stay at Amankila (my personal favorite) and my first at both Amanjiwo and Bulgari.

I am not going to give a full trip reort on the Aman Resorts as there is already info out there. Bulgari is relatively new since it opened October 2006 so I thought I could give a nice review and, more importantly, my opinion of the differences between the two companies so people can decide for themselves which type of resort fits their personality. They are both very high end but share very different philosophies.

In brief, I thought the Amanjiwo was quite spectacular. The architecture of the main lobby was awe inspiring. It resembled Borobudur which felt like it was so close you could touch it from my room (I had a Borobudur Pool Suite). The staff was extremely attentive, as I alway expect at Aman Resorts, and the food was very good. Phillipe, the Portuguese Food and Beverage Mananger, came out to talk to us 3 different times during our stay. He asked if we would like anything not on the menu as well. He seemed genuinely interested in hearing our opinions.

The room was perfectly designed and nicely appointed, and the view of Central Java and Borobudur was breathtaking. It was quite new to hear the Moslem call to prayer on loudspeakers from the local villages 5 times a day beginning at 4:30am. After getting used to it, the prayers added to the ambiance of the setting.

We took the elephant ride from Borobudur Temple back to the resort. It was a lot of fun. The locals were all waving and were very friendly. We went to Borobudur at Sunset and was very mystical. We also went to a local indoor food market where ONLY the locals go. I found this so fascinating since this was not a place where any westerners visit. I really enjoyed seeing how they live their daily lives.

All in all, I strongly recommend Amanjiwo as part of the Aman Experience if you are going to Bali. You will be very pleased, to say the least!

Amankila was perfect, the staff was extraordinary, and is still my favorite. We had the Amankila pool suite. The location, design, service, food etc, etc are all perfect. I will continue to go back to this special resort as I feel it is my second home (that is how they make me feel).

Now on to Bulgari Hotel and a more extensive review and comparison to Aman Resorts. When we arrived, we were barely greeted by the front desk lady. She was quite cold and uninformative. Check in time was not until 3pm. We arrived at 12pm. She had us sit down at the sofa in the reception lobby. After 5 minutes, she brought us a drink (very good drink, btw). Then, she just left us there!!!! After 10 minutes, I went up to her to ask her if she was checking us into our room. She said check in time was not until 3pm but she would check to see if the room was ready. We had to ask!!!! Not so good!!!! She then said that it would be ready in 10 minutes. She sat us down again in this empty lobby. I then asked if we could wait at a more interesting location (the bar, etc). Finally, we went down to the bar.

When we got to the bar, they said the room would be ready in 5 minutes, it was 30 minutes instead. We met an Asian American guest relations supervisor who introduced herself in a very “western corporate hospitable” way and wished us a good stay. We didn’t have that warm feel we get an Aman Hotels.

They then assigned a private butler for our stay. He brought us to our room on a buggy. I really don’t like the pretentiousness of a private butler at a resort (city hotels I feel differently, though). It seemed very artificial and western. Also, if they provide a butler, they should provide someone with better English. Most of the staff at this hotel spoke HORRIBLE English. In fact, they were all very green as if they were just hired this week.

The villa was quite luxurious. You need to like black because there is a lot of it. The villas had a big outdoor area with oversized outdoor couches, dining room table, mini bar, pool, lounge chairs, etc etc. The bedroom had a spectacular bed with tons of fluffy pillows, a very sophisticated TV with CD, DVD, built in, etc, etc. The dressing area was done very well with plenty of storage spaces. They had an area for a business desk with high speed internet. The bathroom was very chic with a center tub, indoor and outdoor shower, Bulgari toiletries of course, etc. It was very impressive. We had there top single suite, BTW, which was the Ocean Cliff view pool suite. The view was spectacular.

The pool area was very nice with Italian styled day beds (lined up too close to each other, however) and they had two Jacuzzis looking over the cliff with an outdoor shower nearby. The common poolside bathrooms were very impressive. The pool staff (who spoke no English) came over many times with different treats (ice popsicles, satays, specialty drinks, cold towels, canapés, etc). Nice touch!

We had to take a vernicular down to the beach (a real schlep still because there were many stairs you need to use to get there). The beach was very secluded and the waves were huge. However, please be aware that the beach is too dangerous for ANY swimming. It is there to look at, not touch! It was a nice piece of paradise once you finally arrived.

The spa was extraordinary, I must say. The design was actually perfect. They had a relaxation area prior to the treatment, indoor and outdoor treatment rooms, and a great locker room. The massage therapist were very professional and very well trained. The prices for the treatments were a bit expensive though. Regardless, we still used the spa for a few treatments including a wonderful hot stone therapy treatment. The one thing I would suggest for the Aman Resorts is to work on a spa facility. Amanpuri has one, the rest should as well. I enjoyed Amanpuri’s spa and this is the one area that Amankila and Amanjiwo, etc should work on asap.

The restaurants were quite good. They are really into presentation. The Italian restaurant was exceptionally good and quite formal. I would not feel comfortable not getting dressed up at that restaurant. The service was good as well. They emphasized western presentation, something you would see in a fine New York Restaurant, but in Bali. They had a nice wine list as well. The design of the restaurant was fair, IMHO.

The overall look of the resort was done very well if you are into a “contrived computer generated western resort.” You know when something looks too perfect it is not???? Well, this is it. They clearly went with a design that Americans can relate. It is like a Wizard of Oz fantasy property. Not real and natural, but man made and not natural for the setting it is in. This is the big difference with these type resorts and Aman resorts. Aman doesn’t try to do TOO much….just enough. At Bulgari, every square inch was overly designed. The design was spectacular, however. It is just that I prefer and understated and environmentally complementing design like Aman. I really could have been anywhere in the world at Bulgari, not necessarily in Bali. This is the BIG difference with Aman properties. Aman coexists with its surroundings and you feel your environment. I appreciate this concept. I am not sure if the rest of us Americans do as well. Americans, in general, like Western luxury. I like Eastern luxury, more simplified, like Aman resorts. That is the big difference between the hotels….Western luxury to Eastern luxury.

The reason I come back to Aman Resorts all the time and spend 24 hours in an airplane is because it is not contaminated by Western culture with regard to service and design. I appreciate the emphasis Aman puts on the subtle experience. The service is miles ahead of Bulgari. Aman is intuitive service where Bulgari is proactive service. I got the feel that I was just a number there, or better yet, a big walking wallet for them to pick at. It felt very western, and very nickel and diming. For instance, they do not provide a transfer to the airport!!!! They had the gall to charge me $85USD for a 20 minute ride!!! At $1350 per night, one would think that an airport transfer is included!!! How else do you get to the airport? They should have included it in the price somehow rather than a surcharge. It is not very good marketing. I also do not like that we had to sign checks all the time. This again is very corporate and reminds the guest how much things cost all the time. It is better to get the bill at the end of the stay and deal with business one time. It also creates an impersonal relationship with the guest and the resort. Too business like!

What surprised me the most was the quality of the staff and the philosophy they have in dealing with their guests. Most employees did not bother to say hello when passing them. The ones that did seemed forced. Their English was not good. The head people felt like they were going through the motions. Not an Aman feeling, and that is the BIGGEST POINT. At Aman, you get a warm and special feeling that transcends the facility. Sure, Bulgari has a wow facility, but that lasts just a few short moments. What stays with you during your stay and after you leave is how you were treated. It is the LAYERS OF DETAIL. The emphasis on the margins (the rose pedals around the bed after a romantic dinner, the nightly notes and gifts from GM Tracey at Amankila, never seeing room service cleaning your room, every person knowing your name and what you did that day, etc,etc). This is what really matters!!!! It is not just about the fancy room or the perfect trendy resort.

So, at the end of the day, in my humble opinion, Aman resorts blows away the Bulgari resort. I don’t know if everyone would agree with me. Some people who like pretention may like Bulgari more. However, that is fine. Some people think they know what great is, but they really don’t. Those people are more concerned about ego and snob appeal. I "get" the philosophy of Aman Resorts. The better and more sophisticated clients will always come back. As long as there are enough of those clients, then there is no reason to change to accommodate the masses. When you try to please everyone’s taste, then you become too generic. Aman has the niche, I hope they never lose it!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Thanks for a very comprehensive review of the properties. This will be helpful for travelers to Bali.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:22 pm

Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 2:09 am

plumbar:

The Bulgari resort is honestly so much more well-designed than Amankila it's not even funny.

But I agree with your comments re: service at both resorts.

Old Jul 28, 2007, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

brilliant ^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 15, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Old Jul 28, 2007, 8:45 am

Programs: some
Thanks for posting!
Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:19 am

That was one seriously good review. Thank-you indeed. I'd been curious about the Bulgari property - and your review confirms many of the things I'd heard.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 1:02 pm
Original Poster
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Originally Posted by hairpeace
plumbar:

The Bulgari resort is honestly so much more well-designed than Amankila it's not even funny.

But I agree with your comments re: service at both resorts.

Hairpeace...I hear where you are coming from. There is a good argument to made regarding the Bulgari design from a luxury and amenity point of view. However, I think you might have a case if you look at the hotel in a vacuum rather than it's surroundings. Also, Bulgari was sought of trendy looking. I wonder if it will look so chic in 10-12 years from now. Aman Hotels seem to be a little more timeless, perhaps due to their more natural design.

I am glad you agree with the service issue, though. I think we can all agree that service and a special feeling is the true magic of any vacation. That is what you remember years later!

Regards
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by plumbar
Hairpeace...I hear where you are coming from. There is a good argument to made regarding the Bulgari design from a luxury and amenity point of view. However, I think you might have a case if you look at the hotel in a vacuum rather than it's surroundings. Also, Bulgari was sought of trendy looking. I wonder if it will look so chic in 10-12 years from now. Aman Hotels seem to be a little more timeless, perhaps due to their more natural design.

I am glad you agree with the service issue, though. I think we can all agree that service and a special feeling is the true magic of any vacation. That is what you remember years later!

Regards
Citterio is love!

:-:
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Than you for this report. have been considering these properties for my trip to Bali in October^
Does anyone know of any excellent Private Villas they could recommend?

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

villas specifically in Bali?

what setting? (beach, cliff, jungle)

some came up here >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692926
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705563
Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:13 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
villas specifically in Bali?

what setting? (beach, cliff, jungle)

some came up here >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692926
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705563
Bali near to the beach we were hoping
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:24 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Awesome report, Plumbar!

And I'm so glad you enjoyed Amanjiwo. It sounds like you got out into the surrounding villages a good deal which is definitely the way to do it! ^
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gallagher
Bali near to the beach we were hoping
http://www.shalimarvilla.com/
http://www.atasombak.com/images/photo_11.jpg

http://www.topbalivillas.com/bali_beachfront_villas.php
http://www.baliprivatevillas.com/
http://www.baliholidays.com/villas/palatial/index.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 1, 2007 at 11:21 am
Old Aug 10, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
thanks for an update on the bulgari resort... I did a short review a while back when it first opened, and I agree with most of the comments made, but it seems that their service levels have gone down since then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.