FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Asian Itinerary Needs Critiquing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/712196-asian-itinerary-needs-critiquing.html)

DrivingRain Jul 9, 2007 9:33 am

Asian Itinerary Needs Critiquing

I could use some feedback on my hotel choices for an upcoming trip in August:

1st stop:
Miami- Booked RC Coconut Grove b/c of location. $239 for Exec Suite via Amex Centurion. Could do 2 for 1 at MO, but the effective rate is basically the same. FS a possiblity too, but a bit pricier and the location is essentially the same as MO. No need for feedback here as Im pretty much set with this.

2nd stop:
Chiang Mai- Booked MO for 3 nights. $645/night for Villa w/plunge pool (>2000 ft2). Will get one of the three nights free so effective rate in the $400's. FS Rice Terrace View Pavilion (700 ft2) is $550 for FHR rate with no plunge pool. Seems to be a easy decision here...as is often the case at their hotels, FS is charging a lot more despite that all reports indicate the properties are very close to each other in terms of quality...

3rd stop:
Bangkok- 2 nights. Based on reviews here, booked the Pen. Grand Deluxe Suite for $400 plus great Pen Amex Cent benes. MO seems to be the only one close in quality and the Executive Suite is running $510 (with free night, effective rate of $340/night) and Deluxe Suite is $900 (effecitve rate of $600/night) plus Centurion amenities. Thoughts?

4th stop:
Samui: Booked FS for $660, regular villa. No other options worth mentioning.

5th stop:
Hong Kong: Booked MOHK. 8,000HKD for Oriental Suite (with free night, effective rate of 5,350HKD. Pen cent rate is 4760HKD for superior suite in original building...that is the highest amex cent category available. FS rate (not FHR participant) of 5,600HKD for Exec Suite plus grand total of 1,500HKD hotel credit. Im not interested in the RC. Should I consider Landmark MO as well? All thoughts are appreciated...

6th stop:
San Francisco: RC Club for $459. Probably wont change this one.

Feedback, esp. on BKK and HKG, would be appreciated...
DR

Kagehitokiri Jul 9, 2007 11:34 am

LMO is a pretty great value, im sure even better with Cent, but no view, kind of comparable to FS Marunouchi. (from reviews, sounds like service is almost as good, if not the same) you can get the top suite for $650/~5K HKD (regular FHR rate with upgrade to presidential suite if available, not sure about confirmed upgrade/free night?)

tough choice in BKK, might also consider stateroom at MO if possible. ill link a discussion.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....06&postcount=4
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=59
pickles suggests either stateroom or DLX/authors suite.

only thing is FSKS isnt FHR yet is it? hmm.. did FHR change at FS Langkawi? (can you get upgrade from jungle to beach, or beach 1BR to 2BR?)

theres also the new nam hai in vietnam with 4th night free in pool villa with club amenities for $550. (so ~$412/nt) view probably isnt as good though.

bhd87 Jul 9, 2007 4:42 pm

I would personally rather do Chiang Rai (Four Seasons Golden Triangle) then the more relaxing Chiang Mai.

Have you checked rates at the St. Regis SF? Also check their ABA and SPG50 rates.

DrivingRain Jul 9, 2007 5:26 pm

HKG: Landmark 900ft2 Suite on Centurion is 5,500HKD (eff rate of 3,400HKD/night). Not bad at all. Thx for the suggestion Kage. It's not supposed to upgrade from there, but you never know. The reviews in FT are fairly strong....I'll have to think this one over.

Samui: R/T flights on Bangkok Airways already purchased, so switching to another resort area is not in the cards. No, it's not FHR and not Virtuoso (yet) :(.

BKK: The higher-end MO categories that are mentione by Kage dont seem to be comeptitive with the Pen.

SFO: I need to log a fresh stay at the RC SFO Club...but thanks for the suggestions!

jkirk Jul 9, 2007 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by DrivingRain (Post 8026053)
2nd stop:
Chiang Mai- Booked MO for 3 nights. $645/night for Villa w/plunge pool (>2000 ft2). Will get one of the three nights free so effective rate in the $400's. FS Rice Terrace View Pavilion (700 ft2) is $550 for FHR rate with no plunge pool. Seems to be a easy decision here...as is often the case at their hotels, FS is charging a lot more despite that all reports indicate the properties are very close to each other in terms of quality...

Sounds like a great trip! We'll also be at MO Chiang Mai for a three night stay in August - can I ask how you were able to arrange a free third night? Is that a Centurian benefit? Our Chiang Mai nights are booked through FHR (Platinum).

Kagehitokiri Jul 9, 2007 7:26 pm

if youve ever been to FS Marunouchi in Toyko, that should give you an idea of LMO. thats odd about upgrade, german cent site says it does, and i thought i called before and was told so as well. id certainly ask at checkin. the presidential suite at that rate would certainly be nice :)

MO BKK staterooms should be same price as exec suite and are a lot better, with cent making it the same if not less than DLX/Grand DLX @ Pen. (and stateroom is also larger than that suite)

also remember at MO Chiang Mai to see what theyll charge for upgrade to even better villas ;)

drivingrain has centurion card jkirk.

DrivingRain Jul 10, 2007 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 8029490)
if youve ever been to FS Marunouchi in Toyko, that should give you an idea of LMO. thats odd about upgrade, german cent site says it does, and i thought i called before and was told so as well. id certainly ask at checkin. the presidential suite at that rate would certainly be nice :)

MO BKK staterooms should be same price as exec suite and are a lot better, with cent making it the same if not less than DLX/Grand DLX @ Pen. (and stateroom is also larger than that suite)

also remember at MO Chiang Mai to see what theyll charge for upgrade to even better villas ;)

drivingrain has centurion card jkirk.

-Yeah...I love the FS Tokyo Mar, so this really intrigues me. Two things keep pulling me away from Landmark; views and the sense that there is a tangible mystique at the MO that we'd be missing out on. And then the 103 room Landmark vs. 500+ rooms at the MO, the FS Tokyo-Mar comps and the low rates pull me back to Landmark. I'm simply not in HKG enough to say that I'll hit the other on my next trip through there and Im not spending enough nights there to split it up. Tough one...

-Cent reps said the Pres suite is not bookable at all through their system.

-at the MO BKK, it's another example of the category not being on the Amex rep's radar screen. Given all of the availability at that time, my guess is that it is not sold out but just not made available at Cent rates.

DrivingRain Jul 10, 2007 6:33 am

Originally Posted by jkirk (Post 8029472)
Sounds like a great trip! We'll also be at MO Chiang Mai for a three night stay in August - can I ask how you were able to arrange a free third night? Is that a Centurian benefit? Our Chiang Mai nights are booked through FHR (Platinum).

Yes, Centurion benefit...currently the best benefit in the program IMO.

Kagehitokiri Jul 10, 2007 6:39 am

when i look at german cent site it says "upgrade if available" in the T&C for the L900. and IIRC i called and asked PTS and they confirmed the upgrade is in the contract.

"mystique" is kind of gone from MOHK after renovation isnt it?

Raffles Jul 10, 2007 6:50 am

HK - what are you looking for? The InterCon has the best views of any property and was fully refurbed 2 years ago. I had a suite there last year and it was very impressive. Yes, the staff aren't quite Four Seasons quality but the price is excellent. Remember that if you are staying over a weekend you can get one night free by joining IC Ambassador for $150, even a free night in a top suite.

The FS is the newest luxury property with a great spot and what I assume are great views. I imagine, being built from scratch, it is smarter than the MO even after the refurb. The Landmark is in a slightly odd location and doesn't have the views, which would kill it for me if this was a vacation.

BKK - Grande Deluxe Suite is fine (these are 10th floor up, same as Deluxe Suite in size but better view). Last year we got the Thai Suite on a promo which was ludicrously large but felt wrong. It was too high to have good views, the overhanging suite above us cut down on the light and the bathroom and bedroom were the same as a Grande Deluxe Suite - the extra space had gone 100% into the reception room, which was a waste. If I went back tomorrow I would take a Grande Deluxe. I personally dislike the MO because it is teeming with tourists and many rooms don't have river views. You can get there in 2 minutes on the Pen boat so you can nip across for a meal and then retreat to the quiet of the Pen.

broadwayboy Jul 10, 2007 7:35 am

DR, aside from the additional perks, are Cent rates typically the same as Platinum rates?

Originally Posted by DrivingRain (Post 8031553)
Yes, Centurion benefit...currently the best benefit in the program IMO.

DrivingRain Jul 10, 2007 7:43 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy (Post 8031854)
DR, aside from the additional perks, are Cent rates typically the same as Platinum rates?

Generally, yes...in so much that Cent FHR rates always get everything that Plat FHR gets. The actual room rate is rarely the same b/c of the wrinkles in the rates due to the confirmed Cent upgrade.

The additional perks you mention vary by chain:
FS: None
RC: Confirmed upgrade at booking and extra $50 hotel credit (which is great for buying RC special blend Taylors of Harrogate loose teas)
MO: Free night once per year (ex-NYC and LON), confirmed upgrade at booking
Pen: Confirmed upgrade, 6pm checkout, additional special amenity
Aman: Confirmed upgrade, additional special amenity
Orient Express:Confirmed upgrade, 6pm checkout, additional special amenity

DrivingRain Jul 10, 2007 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 8031628)
The FS is the newest luxury property with a great spot and what I assume are great views. I imagine, being built from scratch, it is smarter than the MO even after the refurb. The Landmark is in a slightly odd location and doesn't have the views, which would kill it for me if this was a vacation.

(I ADDED BOLD)

Despite the spendy look of our itinerary, I'd be happy to save a little money if I can provided I don't sacrifice quality. Your comments on the IC suggest to me that the service may be a bit inconsistent and so I'd probably pass it over.

Your comments re: the Landmark's views really hit the mark for me. It is what I needed to hear from someone. I'll stick with the MO and give a little consideration to the FS (though FS' lack of participation in FHR probably dq's it).

Should I move up from the Oriental Suite to the Deluxe Oriental Suite at the MO? No diiference in room size...just better views. Here's a link: http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/514000020.asp

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 8031628)
If I went back tomorrow I would take a Grande Deluxe. I personally dislike the MO because it is teeming with tourists and many rooms don't have river views. You can get there in 2 minutes on the Pen boat so you can nip across for a meal and then retreat to the quiet of the Pen.

Grande Deluxe it is.

Fliar Jul 10, 2007 8:34 am

Stick with the MO in Chiang Mai - much nicer than the FS in my opinion (which in itself is fabulous, so you can imagine...)

The PEN has its 'suite deals' promotion - two nights in the Thai Suite for the price of one...

Raffles Jul 10, 2007 8:46 am

Originally Posted by DrivingRain (Post 8031975)
Despite the spendy look of our itinerary, I'd be happy to save a little money if I can provided I don't sacrifice quality. Your comments on the IC suggest to me that the service may be a bit inconsistent and so I'd probably pass it over.

If you are in HK over a weekend, as I said, IC Ambassador would save you a fortune with a '2 for 1' on a top suite. They really are very nice and up to the hardware standards of a FS and they have a Nobu now. What did grate, for instance, is that breakfast is a massive albeit high quality buffet scrum whilst the FS, for example, would I assume be a lot quieter with an a la carte alternative.

However, if I was back in HK for 2 nights over a weekend, I would go back to a harbour view suite at the IC if I could get 2 nights for 1 because I don't think the MO, Pen or FS would be SO much better. Midweek and without IC status I may try the FS.