FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Bangkok, First Time, For a Day: Pen or MO? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/711532-bangkok-first-time-day-pen-mo.html)

ACfly Aug 22, 07 3:39 pm


Originally Posted by francophile (Post 8276406)
Your observation is a common of Asians. If you go to the CX board, do a search on "caucasians" and you will find some threads regarding Asians receiving less than stellar service.

Can somebody explain to me why this is the case? Why would one race treat the same race in an inferior way? I don't understand?

DrivingRain Aug 22, 07 7:57 pm

RE: Pen vs. FS
I've stayed at the Pen, walked through FS. Pen is clearly in a class above when it comes to public areas. Atrium style of the FS rooms also looked a little too Embassy Suites like. The final straw for me was when I couldnt quickly find a nice bar for cocktail hour. I suspect if I would have simply asked I would have been pointed to one, but Im not sure. All this being said, I didnt actually stay there, so this is an incomplete assesment.

Amanjunkie Aug 22, 07 9:18 pm


Originally Posted by DrivingRain (Post 8278918)
RE: Pen vs. FS
I've stayed at the Pen, walked through FS. Pen is clearly in a class above when it comes to public areas. Atrium style of the FS rooms also looked a little too Embassy Suites like. The final straw for me was when I couldnt quickly find a nice bar for cocktail hour. I suspect if I would have simply asked I would have been pointed to one, but Im not sure. All this being said, I didnt actually stay there, so this is an incomplete assesment.

Some interesting observations. From their website, seems like the only bar, other than cocktails served in the Lobby, is Aqua which is in the garden on the lobby level. Perhaps not the most obvious location for a hotel bar.

What's interesting to me is that the hotel was originally the Peninsula, before becoming the Regent, and finally the FS. Anyone know the story of why the Pen left, and did anyone stay there when it was the Pen? Seems like there were at least a few years between the hotel becoming the Regent and the Pen opening their new riverside hotel.

I'm also happy to know the Pen is doing so well in Bangkok. I remembered when it first opened, probably not even 10 years ago, and it struggled the first couple of years. We have good friends that work in management at the Peninsula Hong Kong, and they were offering us promo rates for regulars of under $80 a night, as I recall. Somewhat regret not taking advantage of it at the time!

TRAVELSIG Aug 23, 07 10:19 am


Originally Posted by Amanjunkie (Post 8279262)
Some interesting observations. From their website, seems like the only bar, other than cocktails served in the Lobby, is Aqua which is in the garden on the lobby level. Perhaps not the most obvious location for a hotel bar.

What's interesting to me is that the hotel was originally the Peninsula, before becoming the Regent, and finally the FS. Anyone know the story of why the Pen left, and did anyone stay there when it was the Pen? Seems like there were at least a few years between the hotel becoming the Regent and the Pen opening their new riverside hotel.

I'm also happy to know the Pen is doing so well in Bangkok. I remembered when it first opened, probably not even 10 years ago, and it struggled the first couple of years. We have good friends that work in management at the Peninsula Hong Kong, and they were offering us promo rates for regulars of under $80 a night, as I recall. Somewhat regret not taking advantage of it at the time!

I could be wrong, but I believe the PEN was originally next door to the Regent, which became the FS. I think there is a shopping mall of some sort there now? Some BKK expert can probably fill us in.
In terms of cocktails- the lobby bar is probably the most popular, and is quite logical as a bar- and is usually very very busy. Acqua is to the left as you enter, in a courtyard- it is fine although nothing special. If you want a drink, all the F and B outlets will be happy to serve you this. In addition, drinks by the pool are great. Also, many guests use the Exec lounge if they have access. Enough drinks for everybody! The PEN has certainly come a long way- there was a period where they offering USD 139 with 3rd night free to everybody. BKK in general has really had a surge in the economy, which is good news. Anyway, there is a hotel for everyone in BKK. Some like the FS, some not. The Grand Hyatt has loyal followers that would never stay anywhere else. The Sukhothai also is very popular, particularly with the British crowd it seems. And of course, the BIG 3 on the river- SH, MO, PEN are always very busy. Depends what you want I guess.

vuittonsofstyle Aug 23, 07 10:39 am

Small & crowded pool at MO Bangkok? Not anymore!
 

Originally Posted by Fliar (Post 8017495)
On the Spa - Mrs Fliar, who is a massage-addict, thought that her treatment last month at the Pen was the best she ever had, apart from the one she got at Amandari. She much preferred it over the MO's one.

I had massages at both places too, but I can't tell the difference. To me the best massage is the one done by the prettiest girl ;-)

ps The pool at the Pen is *much* nicer than the small and crowded pool at the MO.

I am a huge fan of the Pen's klong-style pool, but have you not seen the new, second pool at MO? It's by the revamped Verandah restaurant terrace and is really good - a long, lean lap-pool.

peteropny Aug 23, 07 11:34 am


Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 8281949)
I could be wrong, but I believe the PEN was originally next door to the Regent, which became the FS. I think there is a shopping mall of some sort there now? Some BKK expert can probably fill us in.

I believe that the Peninsula next door to the FS/Regent is and has always been a shopping center. I don't think that there was a hotel on the site before the Regent. FWIW, the property used to be my great-uncle's residence and clinic and is owned by the Crown Property Trust (the trust for the Thai Monarchy).

Kettering Northants QC Aug 24, 07 2:21 am


Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 8281949)
I could be wrong, but I believe the PEN was originally next door to the Regent, which became the FS. I think there is a shopping mall of some sort there now? Some BKK expert can probably fill us in.

Peninsula definately used to occupy the building that is now the Four Sesaons. I used to have a Leading Hotels of the World brochure with an entry for the Peninsula that included a photo of it.

Don't Peninsula own the property in Bangkok, perhaps they were only managing the property that is now the FS?

TRAVELSIG Aug 24, 07 3:22 am


Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 8282369)
I believe that the Peninsula next door to the FS/Regent is and has always been a shopping center. I don't think that there was a hotel on the site before the Regent. FWIW, the property used to be my great-uncle's residence and clinic and is owned by the Crown Property Trust (the trust for the Thai Monarchy).

This is the most fantastic part about Flyertalk. There is always an expert!

Kagehitokiri Aug 24, 07 11:04 am

http://www.hotelsmag.com/archives/20...la-Bangkok.asp


November 1998 was not an ideal time for the 5-star Peninsula Bangkok to open...to compete with the Oriental, the Regent, the Sukhothai and other luxury properties [the Peninsula] must...
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...tThailand.html

TORONTO, Dec. 15, 2003 - Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts is pleased to announce that the Regent properties in Bangkok and Chiang Mai will take the names Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok...in 1983 when the 356-room Regent Bangkok opened its doors...
http://www.minorfoodgroup.com/intern...ut_history.asp




Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
...originally the Peninsula, before becoming the Regent...


Originally Posted by peteropny
I believe that the Peninsula next door to the FS/Regent is and has always been a shopping center. I don't think that there was a hotel on the site before the Regent. FWIW, the property used to be my great-uncle's residence and clinic and is owned by the Crown Property Trust (the trust for the Thai Monarchy).


Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Peninsula definately used to occupy the building that is now the Four Sesaons. I used to have a Leading Hotels of the World brochure with an entry for the Peninsula that included a photo of it.

Don't Peninsula own the property in Bangkok, perhaps they were only managing the property that is now the FS?

now im really curious :D

http://web.archive.org/web/199804231...ew/apindex.htm (4/23/98)

Bangkok
The Dusit Thani
The Oriental
The Sukothai
http://web.archive.org/web/199901170...ew/apindex.htm (1/17/99)

Bangkok
The Dusit Thani
The Oriental
The Peninsula
The Sukothai

dano18 Aug 24, 07 11:35 am

The Oriental
 
I say the Oriental hands down. The Penn is great but it is too much like other high rise hotels. The oriental is a small quiet gem and I can't imagine better service. The massages I had were great and the breakfast on the terrace by the river is great. It is not as high tech as the Penn but I really like the old world, colonial feel of the entire property and the whole place smells so great. My room was understated elegance like being in a beautifully appointed home. I didn't want to leave. To me the Oriental seemed like some place really special and the Penn seemed liked a really, really nice hotel but could be anywhere. I also found the lobby to be pretty cold and sterile. The Oriental is more expensive but I think for your first time in crazy, hectic, wonderful Bangkok you should treat yourself to this quiet oasis of refinement.

have fun,
dan

blueDC Aug 24, 07 12:55 pm

Not to perpetuate the older vs younger (I'm 30) and/or the caucasian vs asian (the latter) argument, but I much prefer the Pen to the O. So much so I won't stay at the O again.

But I do love the MO chain to bits. And the Pen. Does it really matter at this luxury level?? ;)

jswong Aug 25, 07 10:50 pm

I stayed in and love both these properties and as many have noted your parents, i'm sure, will be happy with either. Since you've already booked the Pen i'd just leave it unless you can book a rate with a late check out (if required)

Jeff

Amanjunkie Aug 26, 07 10:11 am

From my understanding, the reason why the lobby of the Four Seasons Bangkok looks similar to the Peninsula Hong Kong is because the hotel was built as a Pen. This original Bangkok Peninsula opened in 1982, but became the Regent only a few years afterwards.

DrivingRain Aug 26, 07 6:23 pm


Originally Posted by Amanjunkie (Post 8296470)
From my understanding, the reason why the lobby of the Four Seasons Bangkok looks similar to the Peninsula Hong Kong is because the hotel was built as a Pen. This original Bangkok Peninsula opened in 1982, but became the Regent only a few years afterwards.

First time I walked into Pen HKG I said to myself...."this looks a lot like the FS BKK". Now I know why. Thanks.

Kagehitokiri Aug 26, 07 6:30 pm


Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
This original Bangkok Peninsula opened in 1982,

>>

http://www.royalorchidholidays.se/ro...o/BKK/BKK7.php


n 1982 to 1984, the Peninsula Group of Hotels managed the hotel and it was called The Peninsula Bangkok. In mid 1984, Regent International Hotels managed the property and renamed the hotel The Regent Bangkok and managed it until 1994. Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts commenced managing the hotel in May 1994 but kept the name The Regent Bangkok until November 2003. So, from November 2003, the hotel has been called Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok.
http://www.dusit.com/news/060125.shtml


Mr Jamieson has been working in Thailand since 1982, when he joined the Peninsula Bangkok Hotel as Marketing Director.
very interesting :)

had no idea LHW went back so far either
http://www.lhw.com/download_s/Company%20History.pdf


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:43 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.