Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Bangkok, First Time, For a Day: Pen or MO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok, First Time, For a Day: Pen or MO?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:17 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by erik123
IMO - The oriental does not seem to take tour groups, discounts its rooms more discretely, and is more expensive overall - therefore the customers are more the formal/high-level types. I do think it is the hotel in Bkk to beat.
I would suggest most 5* luxury hotels don't get much in the way of bookings from coach tour groups. Most Coach tour groups tend to stop at 3* hotels, occaisionally 4*, and on very rare occaisions a big 5*. I've seen the odd cruise ship group stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton and Shangri La.

As for the Oriental attracting a more formal / high-level type:
(i) I personally find the atmosphere more formal at The Pen

(ii) In the UK The Oriental is heavilly marketed towards the holiday maker in travel brochures. The travel agent Kuoni I think used to send more people to Thailand than any other UK agent and The Oriental always features heavily in their brochure. Whilst the prices for The Oriental are high, they are really no more expensive than what a UK agent would charge for a very average 3 star hotel in say New York (Virgin is currently advertising the Sheraton Manhatten at Ł250 a night, 5* start at a whopping Ł500) and therefore I would suggest your perception that The Oriental's guests are more high level may be a bit off when it comes to European travellers - many of us perceive Thailand as a country where you can upgrade your usual travel standards.

(iii) This may have more to do with how one perceives themselves. I.e. - "If I stay here, the clientelle has to be good"
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I thought the whole situation bizzare -- they refuse customers to enter their hotel wearing shorts, but just off the lobby, you can practically see the tourists in their dental floss swimsuit mingling at the pool.
I believe the hotel has a policy where only residents are permitted to wear shorts after 6:00pm in public areas of the hotel.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 1:47 am

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Originally Posted by francophile
I've stayted at the Oriental, have had a massage at the spa, and have eaten at Le Normandie, the Verandah, Lord Jim, Sala Rim Nam, and had tea at Authors Lounge. I'm Chinese and I've always been treated like an emperor at the Oriental.
francophile, I'm traveling with you next time (as I'm Asian as well). When I was in the Authors Lounge, I was COMPLETELY ignored and the only tables that got service were the ones with Caucasians at them. OK, perhaps it was me...or so I thought... In walks an elderly Chinese woman who was totally dripping of money. The staff wouldn't even get the poor woman a menu after 20 minutes. I ended up getting one for her. She told me this wasnt' the first time she was treated with such disdain. Unacceptable.

At the Sukhothai, I had a similar experience in that the waitress bowed next to all the Caucasian tables when presenting the bill, but when she went to Asian tables, she handed it ACROSS the table while standing up. Anyone who knows SE Asia knows this is a no-no.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:54 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I had a similar experience as MegaTopLover at the Oriental back in 1999. ...
I've been to BKK 8 to 9 times after that and I have never set foot at The Oriental. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever will.

BTW, not to steer off-topic, but why is it always Pen vs MO? Is Sukhothai not well regarded here at all? I'll be staying there for 2 nights next month.
Vaguely comforting to know I'm not alone.

As for the Sukhothai question... I think the Pen v. O comparisons are mostly driven by the cross-river rivalry. They are very close in proximity to one another, face each other across the river, and certainly compete head-to-head, even if some of the niches they target may differ. The Sukhothai has a quite different setting, sort of a compound on Sathorn Road. The most consistent comments I've read about the Sukhothai relate to its tranquility-inspiring design blending modern and Thai aspects. Although before-Peninsula days predate my time in Bangkok (and therefore I'm perfectly subject to being corrected), I wonder if the Sukhothai was a principal competitor to the O until the Pen came along. Among a certain set of patrons, mmmmmmmkay???, I've sensed that the older gentlemen go to the Sukhothai while the younger ones (such as myself) favor the Peninsula. FWIW. YMMV.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Aug 21, 2007 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:47 am

MTL --
Maybe it's the 'older gentleman' in me but for our next trip next month, we're booked at Sukhothai (2 nights) and The Met (1 night).

I've heard mixed reviews about The Met, but after the raves about their toiletries (COMO brand) and pictures of their chic, contemporary rooms, I would have to try it at least once. Hopefully we will have a positive experience!

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Vaguely comforting to know I'm not alone.

As for the Sukhothai question... I think the Pen v. O comparisons are mostly driven by the cross-river rivalry. They are very close in proximity to one another, face each other across the river, and certainly compete head-to-head, even if some of the niches they target may differ. The Sukhothai has a quite different setting, sort of a compound on Sathorn Road. The most consistent comments I've read about the Sukhothai relate to its tranquility-inspiring design blending modern and Thai aspects. Although before-Peninsula days predate my time in Bangkok (and therefore I'm perfectly subject to being corrected), I wonder if the Sukhothai was a principal competitor to the O until the Pen came along. Among a certain set of patrons, mmmmmmmkay???, I've sensed that the older gentlemen go to the Sukhothai while the younger ones (such as myself) favor the Peninsula. FWIW. YMMV.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MTL --
Maybe it's the 'older gentleman' in me but for our next trip next month, we're booked at Sukhothai (2 nights) and The Met (1 night).

I've heard mixed reviews about The Met, but after the raves about their toiletries (COMO brand) and pictures of their chic, contemporary rooms, I would have to try it at least once. Hopefully we will have a positive experience!
The best thing about the Sukhothai is the restaurant, which is great. Really, the FS is probably a better value, especially in the rennovated rooms which are beautiful. The Met, I stayed at twice, and gave up. The toiletries are the best part of the whole hotel. The bar is OK as well, but not worth staying there for. Pool Service is non existent in my experience. And, it can be a hassle to get cabs from time to time at both the Sukhothai and the Met (they are very close to ech other). Give the FS a try- the service is the best in Bangkok (albeit with no view).
Old Aug 21, 2007, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
I would suggest most 5* luxury hotels don't get much in the way of bookings from coach tour groups. Most Coach tour groups tend to stop at 3* hotels, occaisionally 4*, and on very rare occaisions a big 5*. I've seen the odd cruise ship group stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton and Shangri La.
You have some good points - but the Pen did discount heavily after it opened and marketed itself to tour groups.

As to hotel prices in New York (low compared to London, Oslo, or Moscow) - MO is always one of the more expensive properties in Bkk so people could select another 5* at a much lower rate (and many still opt for the MO).
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:46 pm

What does everyone think of the Four Seasons Bangkok? We've been to Bangkok many times, but have never looked at the property. I understand the rooms were refurbished nicely after they changed the management from the Regent. We are staying there in the Rajadamri Suite in a couple of weeks, and don't really know what to expect.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
What does everyone think of the Four Seasons Bangkok?
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
...the FS is probably a better value, especially in the rennovated rooms which are beautiful...the service is the best in Bangkok (albeit with no view).
several other regulars, including luxury, agree with that sentiment

Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
We are staying there in the Rajadamri Suite
wow, from $775 now. ^ looks like the 2nd largest suite in BKK, right after the Pen.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 21, 2007 at 11:22 pm
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
several other regulars, including luxury, agree with that sentiment

wow, from $775 now. ^ looks like the 2nd largest suite in BKK, right after the Pen.
Yes, we love service! That carries more weight with us over most things, though views would have also been nice. For the suite, we got the Executive Business Package which includes club access and with ++ it's a bit more than $1,000, but still an amazing rate for a 3,703 sq.ft room at the Four Seasons.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

having to pay for club when you book the "Presidential" suite =
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
having to pay for club when you book the "Presidential" suite =
At this rate, I'm not complaining!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by HUGE AL
francophile, I'm traveling with you next time (as I'm Asian as well). When I was in the Authors Lounge, I was COMPLETELY ignored and the only tables that got service were the ones with Caucasians at them. OK, perhaps it was me...or so I thought... In walks an elderly Chinese woman who was totally dripping of money. The staff wouldn't even get the poor woman a menu after 20 minutes. I ended up getting one for her. She told me this wasnt' the first time she was treated with such disdain. Unacceptable.

At the Sukhothai, I had a similar experience in that the waitress bowed next to all the Caucasian tables when presenting the bill, but when she went to Asian tables, she handed it ACROSS the table while standing up. Anyone who knows SE Asia knows this is a no-no.
Your observation is a common of Asians. If you go to the CX board, do a search on "caucasians" and you will find some threads regarding Asians receiving less than stellar service.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes - i remember reading similar things re service in NH F (although from what i remember it was more a case of ignoring women - whether western or asian - rather than asians)

BUT IMHO service in hotels is much more important to begin with, not to mention delays in F class can only be so long..

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 22, 2007 at 1:33 pm
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:34 pm

I've been to functions at both Pen and MO, never stayed at either one (my company had special rates at Grand Hyatt - I know it's not on the river). I like the Pen atmosphere better from my limited experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.