Reload this Page >

Money-No-Object: Phuket or Koh Samui?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Money-No-Object: Phuket or Koh Samui?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:14 pm

rayavadee is stunning. I was there 8 weeks ago and that was my fourth visit. I chose it over Amanpuri (i have stayed at both regular pavillions and a villa at amanpuri).
This was my fourth time at Rayavadee. The accomodation is beautiful, the scenery is breathtaking and if you tire of the resort with two lovely beaches (and a third service beach), its a short walk to small bars and restaurants.

There are regular thai air flights to krabi and Raya will collect you in their comfortable cars and motor launch to the resort.

For a few days it might be what you are looking for.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how much does the weather vary thoughout phuket / koh samui (separately)? because its interesting different places have such different "peak" periods.

also arent the "beach" villas at baan taling ngam further off the beach than at FS, which are just elevated?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 19, 2007 at 8:47 pm
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:54 pm

The Baan Taling Ngam beach villas are directly on the beach. They have diferent categories of villas, many of which are up the hill with stunning views and shared pools but i presume from the OP a direct beach villa is preferred.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:35 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Fliar
Haven't stayed there but have read many negative reviews of the FS in Koh Samui (so much so that I have put off staying there for now). You can't go wrong with Amanpuri, probably.
I HAVE stayed there and I can tell you that the negative reviews are rubbish. The resort is wonderful, as long as you set your expectations correctly.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:25 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
The weather is very different between Phuket and Koh Samui - now is the rainy season for Phuket. The reason for the difference is that the islands lie on opposite sides of the Thai mainland

As for Koh Samui - I don't think anyone has mentioned the Santiburi resort, I'm 99% sure they have beech front vilas.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 4:26 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Nice to read that money is no object anymore in this forum when going to S-E-Asia. I would avoid Phuket, don't like it. Watch out for the rainy season indeed.

FS Langkawi looks so beautiful on the website. Flights from BKK can't be too long.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Nice to read that money is no object anymore in this forum when going to S-E-Asia. I would avoid Phuket, don't like it. Watch out for the rainy season indeed.

FS Langkawi looks so beautiful on the website. Flights from BKK can't be too long.
FS Langkawi is lovely, and I do believe that there are nonstop flights BKK-LKG now (through Air Asia, I believe). If you want a 'true' beach villa, this place certainly offers it. The villas are huge and right on the beach (and far enough from one another so that you have quite a bit of privacy).
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:34 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by xracer
FS Langkawi is lovely, and I do believe that there are nonstop flights BKK-LKG now (through Air Asia, I believe). If you want a 'true' beach villa, this place certainly offers it. The villas are huge and right on the beach (and far enough from one another so that you have quite a bit of privacy).
Just spent some time there (but in one of the cheaper villas) and we loved it. Although the service was better and the villas much newer we probably preferred the Datai for its setting, though.

Malaysia Airlines flies direct several times per week from SIN.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
Just spent some time there (but in one of the cheaper villas) and we loved it. Although the service was better and the villas much newer we probably preferred the Datai for its setting, though.

Malaysia Airlines flies direct several times per week from SIN.
I think that if you liked the Datai, you would like the FS Samui. The setting is similar (jungle resort with beach access). FS Langkawi is more what I would call a 'traditional' beach resort (flat, open, large beach). We also stayed at the Datai when we visited Langkawi, but much preferred the FS. To me, the Datai was looking a little worn an nothing the resort had to offer (room-wise) could compare with the beach villas at the FS. Agree that the setting of the Datai is, overall, nicer than that of the FS Langkawi.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Which would you choose overall?

I'm still just a little confused as to just how far the regular villas at the FS are from the beach.
I haven't stayed at the FS Samui so I can't choose... yet

As for Evason Samui, let's just say the villas are not so far that you can't walk it, but not so close that you can roll out of bed and onto the sand.

Yes, rustic, but not decrepit. The jaw-dropping views (and the infinity pool suspended high above the sea) make up for it.

I would love to try the FS Langkawi beach villas but they are shockingly expensive, no?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Have you considered Krabi? I found it much nicer than Koh Samui. There is a luxury hotel there: http://www.rayavadee.com/ It has pretty good reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ort-Krabi.html

I didn't stay there, but at the next beach in a cheaper place. It is very secluded which means much less people trying to sell stuff to you.

Very, very beautiful beach!

SmilingBoy.
Rayavadee is in Railay Bay, which is fantastic. Beautiful beach, low key island, famous area for rock climbing. Some considerations...They would fly into Krabi, then have to take a 30 minute taxi to the beach, followed by a 20 minute boat ride. Rayavadee has a private boat so they wouldn't have to deal with luggage hassels. I think it's worth it, but it comes down to personal preference. Koh Samui and Phuket are much more developed than Railay. On the boat into Railay, it seems completely undeveloped and scenic because there are only low rise buildings and they're hidden behind the palms
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:08 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by worldcupfan
Rayavadee is in Railay Bay, which is fantastic. Beautiful beach, low key island, famous area for rock climbing. Some considerations...They would fly into Krabi, then have to take a 30 minute taxi to the beach, followed by a 20 minute boat ride. Rayavadee has a private boat so they wouldn't have to deal with luggage hassels. I think it's worth it, but it comes down to personal preference. Koh Samui and Phuket are much more developed than Railay. On the boat into Railay, it seems completely undeveloped and scenic because there are only low rise buildings and they're hidden behind the palms
Indeed - and this is what I liked about Railay.

Since the OP's parents are looking for some much needed rest, I can't imagine a place better than this.

SmilingBoy.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by worldcupfan
So do we think Rayavadee is superior to FS Samui?

I think they both look beautiful, so you guys need to tell me which you'd do if money were no object.

And what's weather like mid-September at Rayavadee?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you said the beach villas are booked at FSKS, right?

i believe Rayavadee has some beachfront villas, so if they want to stay in Thailand (and not FS Langkawi) then thats probably the best bet.

for me personally, design and value are the draw for private villas.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:14 pm

The beachfront villas at rayavadee on Phranang beach are stunning.

If the cost of a phranang villa exceeds the budget, any pavillion in the 'phranang zone' or 'Railey zone' will be fine. (Rayavadee is bordered by three beaches) the pavillions are beautiful and only a few steps through amazing gardens to a beach . The 'Nam Mao' zone is on the least attractive beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.