FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Four Seasons Westlake Village (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/672995-four-seasons-westlake-village.html)

stimpy Mar 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Four Seasons Westlake Village

I decided to try this property out using the introductory offer which is a free night plus $100 spa credit (or so I thought). I got a top floor Deluxe room facing the waterfall and the freeway. The room was very well appointed with a huge Samsung LCD TV with HD and an Ipod "I-Home" dock. However the dock is just a tiny unit with tiny speakers and does not integrate with any room stereo. In fact the Crown Plaza San Jose has the same thing. I should think a new luxury hotel should aim a little higher than an ordinary Crown Plaza. Most new or renovated luxury hotels have fully integrated multimedia stereo systems. But maybe they just haven't gotten around to installing new systems yet. The hotel is still adjusting and changing.

The bathroom and even the showers in the otherwise wonderful spa have poor water pressure. Perhaps that is due to the location, however the W LA where I stayed just before had great water pressure. Another thing the W had, and most every other hotel I stay at has, is complimentary bottled water in the rooms. But the last few FS's I've stayed at do not do this. This is infuriating nickle-and-dime approach of Four Seasons is one reason I don't stay at them often. For the amount of money we spend here, the least they could do is put a couple of 20 cent water bottles in the room. But no, they want you to pay $3 for mini-bar water. Also there are no pens in the room. Just a cheap pencil. :td: Now I know I could speak to a manager and they would instantly take care of me, but why should I have to complain to get service?

The service is spotty, but I guess we can mark that down to a new property. You could tell the staff at breakfast were being trained on the job. Overall I guess the service was good. In fact the door staff was excellent. Ditto for the front desk and concierge.

There is plenty to do here with a kids play room, cooking classes, various classes in the well appointed fitness center, and guests have access to the very exclusive Sherwood Country Club as the same guy who owns that, owns the FS. There is even a large TV studio on-site for the Hollywood crowd. The California Wellbeing Institute is also onsite. This is a full medical facility for people who have far too much money. But it also means the Spa professionals are just that. Professional. The treatments are excellent and the facilities are mostly good. However again, plumbing problems. The steam room apparently hasn't worked in weeks. I was told the engineers are working on it. The water pressure in the spa is bad too. The Jacuzzi is tiny, but the sauna was fine. The spa lounge opens up to an outdoor pool ( there is an indoor pool too) with plenty of very nice Cabanas for rent. The Cabanas have comfy beds and plasma TV's, etc. Behind the pool is a Japanese garden with a large Pagoda over a pond. Kind of like a miniature version of the Imperial Gardens in Tokyo.

The fitness center has its own locker rooms with individual shower/steam cabins. Or at least the mens side had one. However the shower handle broke while I was there and I could not turn it off. I mentioned this to a staff member, but the next day it was still broken.

The bar is nice with 3 pool tables a fireplace and an outdoor balcony. Other than breakfast, I did not try the restaurants. But I did have a nice plate of Spaghetti at the bar one night.

Another big problem is that cell phones don't work well in the hotel. However they said they are working with Cingular, T-Mobile and Verizon to put repeaters on site so that problem should be fixed soon. Supposedly Cingular already works well, but I was using T-Mobile so my phone only worked in certain areas of the hotel.

The self-parking garage has a toll-gate, but it is disabled for now. So free parking for the time being. I don't know how much they charge for valet.

A small error with my laundry as I asked for my shirt to be folded, but it came on a hanger.

At check out, I didn't see the spa credit. They told me the $100 credit is only for the California WellBeing Institute. How could I know that was different than the spa? A manager came out and apologized for the mistake and said they would work better to let the guests know about this. However this offer ends in April anyway.

So my verdict is that it is a nice property, but they still have a lot of work to do to get up to snuff.

DrivingRain Mar 19, 2007 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 7430674)
I Another thing the W had, and most every other hotel I stay at has, is complimentary bottled water in the rooms. But the last few FS's I've stayed at do not do this. This is infuriating nickle-and-dime approach of Four Seasons is one reason I don't stay at them often.

No comp water at the FS Dallas last week.

itsalways3am Apr 5, 2007 10:41 pm

Thanks for this review! I live a few exits from the FS Westlake and haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but was curious to see what some think. Interesting they give you access to Sherwood, considering it really isn't all that close to the hotel (well, it's not far, but still a drive from the property). Thanks again, though!

azepine00 Apr 5, 2007 11:07 pm

There is a mortuary across the road in case the well-being thing doesn't work out. :D

Both Westlake Village and (East) Palo Alto locations of recently opened FS seem rather puzzling.

itsalways3am Apr 6, 2007 11:15 am

haha, valid point. But on the plus side there's also a Costco within walking distance, so cheap hot dogs are an added bonus to the typical FS guest :D

I actually had this talk with my Dad the other day, and neither of us can really figure out why Westlake Village is a logical location for a FS. Granted Westlake Village is a pretty upscale community, but it doesn't seem like a huge tourist destination. My only reasoning is the fact that Malibu is within a 20-minute drive, so perhaps for the Malibu crowd not wanting to stay in Santa Monica or LA, this is the next best thing. Or it could just be a good addition to the not-so-fantastic hotels offered to anyone needing to be near the Valley or Thousand Oaks (or Newbury Park, if they are visitng Amgen). Any other insight?

stimpy Apr 6, 2007 3:32 pm

I think the two types of guests would be corporate (lots of companies in the area, including dot.com) and locals with too much money doing a weekend or spa treatments. That is the reason for the California Wellbeing center. That is mostly for locals.

JimStraz Apr 6, 2007 3:35 pm

I think this FS Westlake Village is a big bore.

I have been to the hotel a couple of times for a work party and for a tour and for lunch. I was not impressed on any occasion. I work in the area and frankly this is a very nice option for those doing business or playing golf in the area, but it is by no means a destination resort hotel. I think it is a good option for family weddings in the area and business trips. I would never call this a 5 star property.

Common areas are nice but feel very much like an office building. The manmade waterfall in front of a cement block wall outside is well... very manmade and reminds me of something you would see at a theme park. The food is good, but not stellar. They do not even have a real restaurant open for lunch...only sushi at this time. The rooms are nice, but feel kind of bland for my taste. The area is surrounded by the 101 Freeway and its exit and entrance...a business park, a cemetary, a costco and strip mall. The views are not that great with all of this considered. The spa I cannot comment on, but I am sure it is nice. I just do not find Westlake Village to be a retreat destination. It has become littered with office buildings, congestion and snobby/arrogant subburbanites of Westlake Village and Thousand Oaks. It is though, the best hotel in this area. So if you are going to spend all of your time in Westlake or Thousand Oaks, then by all means stay here... otherwise, don't waste your time or money. So not worth it. This place has nothing on the Ritz Carlton in Pasadena or the FS in Beverly Hills. I am telling you...I never felt like I was experiencing luxury when I visited. You'll see!

19103_aa Apr 6, 2007 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by itsalways3am (Post 7538248)
I actually had this talk with my Dad the other day, and neither of us can really figure out why Westlake Village is a logical location for a FS. Granted Westlake Village is a pretty upscale community, but it doesn't seem like a huge tourist destination. ... Or it could just be a good addition to the not-so-fantastic hotels offered to anyone needing to be near the Valley or Thousand Oaks (or Newbury Park, if they are visitng Amgen). Any other insight?

Bingo, it's Amgen. The Westlake Village Inn is nice, but aging and not large enough to handle big meetings.

dbuckho Apr 7, 2007 2:47 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 7430674)
So my verdict is that it is a nice property, but they still have a lot of work to do to get up to snuff.

Similar to what this LA Times reporter concluded too. Did the reporter read this post?

Agree with others that Westlake Village is an odd place for a FS.

DrivingRain Apr 7, 2007 5:18 am

I read a glowing review of the restaurant in theMarch edition an LA luxury goods magazine. I'm sorry that this isnt very helpful since I dont have a link or the name of the magazine. It is the one that is stocked in the United International First Lounge at JFK (I read the article while waiting for a P.S. flgiht to LA).

Anyway...it is suppsedly an attempt at health-minded haute cuisine. I love that concept, so I hope that at least the restuarant is successful.

jeffreyt Apr 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Besides the LA Times Article which I read, the Wall Street Journal also ran an article. But while Amgen is nearby, as are many other large corporations, it was really David Murdock, the owner of Dole Food who was responsible for the hotel. Indeed, the address of the hotel is 2 Dole Drive. It's all part of Murdock's desire for a healthier lifestyle, hence the Wellpoint Institute. Clearly this is not your average Four Seasons Spa, and is not just meant for the vacationing guest. Think of it as the Mayo Clinic (where one would argueably not go if not for the medical benefits) for wellness. While the hotel is designed to capture the upscale business traveler, it is primarily a destination wellness resort. And I think you'll see it marketed more aggressively as such. I've been waiting for this hotel to be built for many years, ever since the permits were issued. It's amazing this half-a-billion dollar property is finally a reality. But once you understand why the hotel and "wellness" spa was built, it's not a strange or odd place for it. It's just not the Montage at Laguna Beach or the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills either. Nor does it pretend to be.

itsalways3am Apr 10, 2007 9:58 pm

That's a very valid point. I just wish they would advertise it and market it a little more so it would get the attention it (likely) deserves. To be honest, I live within a few minutes and saw the construction going on for quite a while, but it wasn't until long after the property opened that I drove past and noticed the subtle (very subtle) sign that said "Four Seasons". In fact most locals (even those that are not locals but would be the right demographic for the property) have no idea its there. Hope they really start pumping the word out!

PITOLOVE Apr 10, 2007 10:35 pm

is good to look at the review or join the hotel program for free
sometime it help I joined Wyndham ByRequest and you kind fill
your own profile like what you want to drink plus one snack
deliver to your room when you arrive for free I got two
corona two water plus cracker and cheese I think is that
joined that program for free pay off

stimpy Apr 11, 2007 12:05 am

Originally Posted by itsalways3am (Post 7561553)
I just wish they would advertise it and market it a little more so it would get the attention it (likely) deserves.

They will once they fully open. They are in the middle of the soft-opening now. This according to sales staff.

JimStraz Apr 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Whatever!

Originally Posted by itsalways3am (Post 7561553)
That's a very valid point. I just wish they would advertise it and market it a little more so it would get the attention it (likely) deserves. To be honest, I live within a few minutes and saw the construction going on for quite a while, but it wasn't until long after the property opened that I drove past and noticed the subtle (very subtle) sign that said "Four Seasons". In fact most locals (even those that are not locals but would be the right demographic for the property) have no idea its there. Hope they really start pumping the word out!

Honestly, who really cares? Mr. Murdoch of the DOLE Empire is said to be a madman - forbidding his employees to eat burgers or other junk food at work. I do not care if the word gets out about this property. This hotel is a big mess if you ask me. Yes it is good that there is a FS in Westlake Village now, but it is not that big a deal. This is a good option for traveling executives. Let's face it, the area needs a 4 star property for business travellers. Lots of business there for sure. However, one of the most happiest days of my life was when I quit my job in Westlake Village just a block away from the FS and DOLE. This area is BORING beyond belief! I'd never suggest this hotel or area to anyone.

Just to add a comment on the property - the large concrete wall around the hotel for sound-proofing and the fake waterfall is not luxurious and actally works against the property - it feels so cramped and forced. You will find no oasis here. Let the locals have this joint! LOL I laugh at the pumpers showing up here to support this mediocre "luxury" property. I think this dream of his is nothing more than a demonic manifestation from Mr. Murdoch's ego. :td: