Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Westlake Village

Four Seasons Westlake Village

Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:14 pm

My wife and I have stayed here, I think, 3 times.

Our first stay was phenomenal -- upgraded multiple room categories (to a fairly sizable suite), really taken care of, and felt appreciated/valued as guests. This was in early December a few years ago (I think, gosh, almost 5).

Unfortunately our next two stays ('10 and '11) were not remotely close -- from smart-alecky Valets to failing to enforce the "No Cell Phone" policy at the Quiet/Spa Pool to failing to make any mention on our Anniversary weekend of the special occasion, by Four Seasons standards this property definitely falls short on the soft product.

I do really enjoy the spa there, however I only use it for the hard product. My wife has said her few treatments have been good, but nothing special.

The hotel hard product is nice, but nothing great.

I think if you catch it on a lesser occupied stay, this is a perfectly enjoyable and extremely reasonable "Staycation" option. I would not specifically come to visit it.

I think RichardinSF summed it up nicely -- Four Seasons Lite.

(caveat: they have a relatively new'ish GM, whom had just arrived not long before our last stay -- I'd like to think standards have risen, but this report doesn't inspire me)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:08 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

We stayed here last year... it was a nice visit... booked through FSPP

Booked deluxe room, the room offered at check-in was a deluxe waterfall view I think (exactly 1 room upgrade).. and then an upsell came to a deluxe suite I believe for $85 bucks a night, which we took... Basically we were in all around $360 for a deluxe suite, which was I think going for about $700 a night... nice large suite, over 1000 square feet.. Nespresso machine in room, which I took quite advantage of.. I requested extra capsules and they were delivered at turn-down...

It didn't seem to busy when we were there; the adult pool only had a handful of people around it... our spa treatments were nice.. The grounds were nice; there was some sort of gazebo there..

we took breakfast in room every morning and it was quite good, delivered promptly..

I thought it was kind of an odd place to put a Four Seasons.. and from my friends who live in Westlake tell me, it does seem popular with the local denizens.. all being said I was happy with our stay.. I could see how it would make a nice staycation

FDW
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 updates ^

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
forgot to quote from that thread >

Originally Posted by DavidO
FS Westlake Village has the same ownership as FS Manele Bay and FS Lodge at Koele. Part of the agreement whereby FS took over management of the two Lana'i properties was that they had to take on Westlake Village as well. That's the [only] reason it because a Four Seasons.
could change with new ownership of lanai?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:09 am

To address the observation that "Westlake Village is an odd place for a Four Seasons": it makes more sense if you live in southern California. I live in Santa Barbara and often have back-to-back commitments in LA. Westlake Village is north of the 101/405 snarl and a much cleaner situation traffic-wise than going into Beverly Hills or downtown LA. It's also a very quick on/off the 101 Freeway going either North or South. Since the 101/405 interchange is one of the busiest and treacherous freeway experiences in the country, it is of value to have a luxury hotel north of the 405. It's also a much more relaxed vibe than, say, the Beverly Regent Wilshire and less cramped than the Peninsula. There is no luxury hotel north of Westlake Village until you get to San Ysidro Ranch or the Four Seasons Biltmore in Montecito.

That said, no, this is not your typical luxury Four Seasons. For reasons that have always mystified me, they built a red-brick edifice (sorry, but it reminds me of a prison building) in an area where Mediterranean structures abound. I guess they were trying to match the Dole office building, but why? You really have to be prepared for how it looks from the outside.

Inside, it is much more gracious and the rooms are spacious and cheerful.
The Lobby Lounge is a nice place to sit and have a cocktail or a light meal and there's a great (but expensive) Japanese restaurant called Onyx, as well. I have not eaten at the Hamptons restaurant downstairs. You do need a car if you're going to go off-site for dining.

I have not utilized the spa but have heard it is special.

I usually book through Amex Platinum and I always get my newspaper(s) and I think a breakfast credit. I'd say I get a room upgrade about a quarter or third of the time - it just depends on how busy they are.

My biggest peeve with this hotel is that they charge a hefty sum for Internet. It's really time for the Four Seasons to re-think that policy...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back again, booked a superior suite (with an upgrade based on availability), got a superior suite.

This hotel has found its level of mediocrity in the Four Seasons hierarchy and intends to stay solidly ensconced there. It is clear there is no intention to improve service to become a true luxury hotel, and as long as it is the best hotel within 20 miles or so, I'll continue to stay here.

There are better hotels over the mountains but I just don't want to face the 405 (or even Laurel Canyon) every day!

There is no real need to list the service lapses I've encountered so far on this visit as undoubtedly there will be different ones for each guest -- the true Four Seasons individualized experience. Just make your requests very clear and precise, repeat them a second time, get confirmation, and expect a 50-70% max success rate despite all that.

If you don't have a corporate rate be sure to use a Four Seasons preferred partner to book so at least you will get some extra benefits with the room.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: DL PM
Their spa has gone drastically downhill also from when it first opened. They seem to have cut back on personnel and it's not even kept clean now....
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:00 pm

Just checked in again and this hotel remains solidly in the "Four Seasons Lite" category. I tend to stay here for 3-4 nights each year between Xmas and New Year's using a FSPP rate in a superior (entry level) suite. Probably stayed here 5-6 times minimum and each and every time, I have to change rooms at least once.

Also, I have to make the same relatively minor requests each and every time I stay. If a mainstream hotel chain can keep tabs on my preferences, why can't a FS? How complicated can this be?

I know I am not their best customer, but even if you are not going to give me the FSPP upgrade, why not allocate me a better room within the category I booked instead of the room with the view of the parking lot?

They gave a check-in amenity but it's cheaper than in the past: a small apple; two small, unripe pears; and two strawberries. Also, this time the little note has appeared that, if you don't read it and (get this!) move a small rock, sheets and towels will not be changed. Courtyard by Four Seasons!

If luxury hotels are about service, this is simply not a luxury hotel. Once again, I will not bother listing service lapses. I wish there was one real luxury hotel somewhere in the San Fernando Valley.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 28, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Also, this time the little note has appeared that, if you don't read it and (get this!) move a small rock, sheets and towels will not be changed. Courtyard by Four Seasons!
Unbelievable. What's next, motion sensors for lighting and HVAC as an effort to "save energy"?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Unbelievable. What's next, motion sensors for lighting and HVAC as an effort to "save energy"?
Well evidently the welcome amenity is now meant to be consumed on arrival -- I didn't and housekeeping removed it this morning!

Weirdly, the room service menu prices two eggs, potatoes, toast, and one side (bacon etc) at a lower price than the hotel's breakfast room does.

After a while the service lapses begin to become amusing, sort of for the same reason people watch "Plan 9 from Outer Space."
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:34 pm

I guess I keep coming here to punish myself. This time I booked an entry level suite. Not only did I not get upgraded, I didn't even get the suite. Because I am still supposed to limit walking for medical reasons, I had requested the suite be near the lift. They told me that they had my request but nonetheless put me in a suite as far from the lift as possible, literally the room farthest from the lift in the entire hotel.

When I objected, they told me there were no other suites available and I should put up with it for a night and I could move the following day (on a 3 night stay). I rejected that and ended up in a regular room.

They 'generously' agreed to lower the room rate to the regular room price and offered me two spa treatments which, when I rejected due to lack of time, ended all attempts at service recovery.

No arrival amenity at all this time. In its place, there were several empty beer bottles left under the in-room safe.

There's more, lots more, but I won't bother going on.

If someone will build a real luxury or even an upscale hotel somewhere in the San Fernando Valley, I will personally invest just to have an alternative.

Taking a cue from Ramada Inn branding, I no longer regard this as a Four Seasons Lite. It's now a Four Seasons Limited.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 30, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If someone will build a real luxury or even an upscale hotel somewhere in the San Fernando Valley, I will personally invest just to have an alternative.
Is the Hyatt really so bad?

I think that with most of the prime locations in the west valley, the land is not only super expensive but also has some very strict building codes.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:02 am

As soon as I saw this thread bumped up, I knew it must be your annual family visit, RichardSF

Might I suggest reaching out to Mohammed El Banna, the hotel manager there. We met him when we stayed at FS Nevis a couple of years ago, right before he moved to FSWV.

Even then we mentioned how FSWV was more of a FS Lite experience, and he seemed quite receptive (though, unfortunately, it seems nothing has changed).

At the very least, perhaps better service recover through him?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb
As soon as I saw this thread bumped up, I knew it must be your annual family visit, RichardSF

Might I suggest reaching out to Mohammed El Banna, the hotel manager there. We met him when we stayed at FS Nevis a couple of years ago, right before he moved to FSWV.

Even then we mentioned how FSWV was more of a FS Lite experience, and he seemed quite receptive (though, unfortunately, it seems nothing has changed).

At the very least, perhaps better service recover through him?
I had fairly extensive emails with management here after last year's stay. They said they would register my preferences and take care of them. They did note the preferences, apparently because it makes it easier to ignore them. I will ask when checking out but the odds are that Mr El Banna is gone as all management and front desk staff at this hotel seem to have a very short tenure. The only continuity is among lower level staff.

Originally Posted by stimpy
Is the Hyatt really so bad?

I think that with most of the prime locations in the west valley, the land is not only super expensive but also has some very strict building codes.
The Hyatt has only two suites and all the rest of the rooms are small and fairly basic. They always give me one of the suites if available but last time I booked the place the suites were under renovation. It was quite a letdown which I am not sure I want to risk again. Walking distance to Brent's Deli is a big plus, though.

Surely someone could renovate an existing hotel. Love to see that happen at the Sportsman's Lodge in Studio City, for example.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 31, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it would be nice if there could be more guarantees and less variation within room categories

not that many suites (and stay around holidays?)
http://www.fourseasons.com/westlakev...om_comparison/

seems hotel manager still there
https://twitter.com/melbanna
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mohamed-elbanna-b37947b

i see new GM is RVP
http://press.fourseasons.com/westlak...m-robert-cima/
April 6, 2015
will continue to oversee hotels and resorts in Los Angeles, Whistler, Vancouver, Lanai, Buenos Aires, and Bogota.
Most recently Cima served the same role at Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver [from 2011]
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:42 pm

Has anyone gone recently? We are planning to stay in August 2019 (waterfall view room, hoping for upgrade via FSPP) - reviews on tripadvisor seem to suggest the hotel has improved?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.