Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Westlake Village

Four Seasons Westlake Village

Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:03 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by stimpy
I can't think of anything a FS gives away for free?
Kids for All Seasons is the first thing that pops into my mind... Either as a full program or just the bathrobes, milk & cookies and other children amenities like DVDs, bottle warmers etc. etc.

Then as MarshKing points out each hotel & resort has some additional published perks on the website.

I'd argue that an upgrade is also a freebie, but I'm sure that not all would agree.

What I did find amusing is specifically asking for free bottles of water at the time of booking and then being surprised that said request is not consistantly filled.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, they certainly didn't honor all of the free amenities on that Westlake list. The things I noticed: They never delivered a newspaper unless I called and asked for one, the "juices" in the lobby each afternoon consisted of empty pitchers of apple cider and ice water when I checked, there was no frozen fruit selection at the pool, and the free fitness classes were pretty much canceled for the Xmas holiday period.

None of these (except the failure to deliver a newspaper) were bothersome IMO, but if you're going to claim them, shouldn't you do them?

This is due to having inexperienced staff, something that characterizes both of my last two stays at a FS hotel. These are the people who have been taught to apologize a lot and always be friendly to a customer, but have no idea how to actually set things right. You'll never get even an "apology" fruit bowl in your room from the staff I encountered, for example, and that includes the managers on duty.

I only recently started trying out FS again, and two recent stays is hardly statistically significant. Rooms do tend to be quite nice, but I have so far experienced nothing that convinces me that FS is a cut above in SERVICE from the upscale subsidiaries operated by Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton, or Hyatt.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:21 pm

Back again at this hotel. Didn't get the preferred partner upgrade this time -- the superior suite has a fine view of the parking structure and is as far from the elevator as it is possible to get. Needless to say, I was told it was the only suite left when checking in at 5pm.

There is a new internet scam: they offer two kinds of internet, regular for $10 a day and "premium" for $15. Since my preferred partner rate includes internet, I went for the premium. The only premium thing about it is that it often puts a small banner across the top of the page with the name of the hotel and a push-button to get specials. Ah well.

So far, I haven't seen much improvement in service. With some trepidation, will try taking the included breakfast at the restaurant tomorrow (rather than room service) to see if service there has gotten better.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Richard, you are a glutton for punishment. I've gone back to the Hyatt as my Westlake hotel. At least I get what I expect to get there.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Richard, you are a glutton for punishment. I've gone back to the Hyatt as my Westlake hotel. At least I get what I expect to get there.
The only problem with the Hyatt for me is that they upgrade me to their best suite and through some strange arrangement, it doesn't have blackout curtains and I always have to improvise. Might have been fixed, I ought to go back there too, it's just that the "one night free" deal here was SO attractive.

If you like Jewish style delis, I went to Brent's across the parking lot from the Hyatt last night -- it's quite good and not at all kosher!

Edited to add: A better room became available today, so I've moved. They did sort of come through there. Also the service at breakfast was considerably improved from last year.

The impressive artificial waterfall which masks noise and is nice to look at has been cut back, now it's a series of minor waterfalls.

But overall, I am seeing improvement from a year ago.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 28, 2010 at 12:03 pm
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:06 pm

Hotel response

We appreciate the commentary and that you continue to return. I just discovered the FlyerTalk site as a result of your comment today. Thank you for the introduction. Please know that the upgraded suite was not available last evening. Being in a suburban location there are many families visiting in the area over this holiday period and as such there has been a high demand for suites. While the hotel has not been full the suites have been at full capacity for the past week. I assure you we are assertive in ensuring the guests of our preferred partners are well cared for and provided all of the associated benefits. I am pleased we were able to accommodate your upgrade today. As always if a guest has a request we encourage one to ask. Our Front Office Manager took a personal interest in your concern and followed it through to a satisfactory resolution as soon as it was possible. We will endeavor to meet your expectations of our service for the remainder of your stay.

I trust you will have the opportunity to enjoy our complimentary fitness classes during your stay. There are three to four scheduled each day for the next couple of days. It should be noted that both levels of internet access provide acceptably high speed and the main reason for choosing the premium level would be if you were streaming video or down loading a large file. Two choices for morning newspaper are offered, as always, during your turndown service. Or, you may choose none at all and this prevents the unnecessary and environmentally insensitive delivery of a newspaper to those who do not desire one. I concur the waterfall seems to be flowing at a lighter than normal level and appreciate being made aware of this. We will investigate the status of this. I'm pleased that you feel the service has improved.

Last edited by HotelManager in WLVCA; Dec 28, 2010 at 8:07 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I stayed at the hotel about a year ago and enjoyed my visit immensely.

From the wellness center to the sushi bar, everything was wonderful and that's not a word I use frequently for hotels.

A detailed review of my stay with photos is online here.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by HotelManager in WLVCA
We appreciate the commentary and that you continue to return. I just discovered the FlyerTalk site as a result of your comment today. Thank you for the introduction. Please know that the upgraded suite was not available last evening. Being in a suburban location there are many families visiting in the area over this holiday period and as such there has been a high demand for suites. While the hotel has not been full the suites have been at full capacity for the past week. I assure you we are assertive in ensuring the guests of our preferred partners are well cared for and provided all of the associated benefits. I am pleased we were able to accommodate your upgrade today. As always if a guest has a request we encourage one to ask. Our Front Office Manager took a personal interest in your concern and followed it through to a satisfactory resolution as soon as it was possible. We will endeavor to meet your expectations of our service for the remainder of your stay.

I trust you will have the opportunity to enjoy our complimentary fitness classes during your stay. There are three to four scheduled each day for the next couple of days. It should be noted that both levels of internet access provide acceptably high speed and the main reason for choosing the premium level would be if you were streaming video or down loading a large file. Two choices for morning newspaper are offered, as always, during your turndown service. Or, you may choose none at all and this prevents the unnecessary and environmentally insensitive delivery of a newspaper to those who do not desire one. I concur the waterfall seems to be flowing at a lighter than normal level and appreciate being made aware of this. We will investigate the status of this. I'm pleased that you feel the service has improved.
Thanks for the response. We always appreciate management comments on FT, at least I do!

I've used the fitness facilities and they are significantly better than most hotels. I'm not very fit but have been to Canyon Ranch and, although this hotel isn't competing in that category, Canyon Ranch might be worth stduying. The "California Longevity Center" could become much more than it is now, which is an upscale spa offering a few classes.

I was able to eliminate the hotel advertising banner in Firefox with a somewhat sophisticated use of the ....... plus add-on (it's not a simple URL block), but this is intermediate computer hacking and shouldn't be necessary.

Summary, post-checkout:

Service improvement was most noticeable with the doormen and in the lounge restaurant at breakfast. Good work! My somewhat complex bill was handled well on checkout.

On the last night, they forgot to do turndown service. Arriving back late, I called to ask about it and the front desk person said that, instead, they could come by very early in the morning and do turndown then. LOL! However, every other time, the front desk staff were more knowledgable.

There continue to be glitches with electrical and electronic devices, both in the rooms and elsewhere on the premisses.

The hotel has improved noticeably in the past year and I would try it again. Stimpy, maybe you should too and we can compare notes?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm
Old May 7, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum & Hilton Diamond
Any recent stays? Is self-parking available or is it Valet only? What about Sunday Brunch? Does it come with free flow of champagne like it does in SB?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Kuki
Any recent stays? Is self-parking available or is it Valet only? What about Sunday Brunch? Does it come with free flow of champagne like it does in SB?
Staying here now - $25 for valet or $17 for self-park (pretty close).

Can help on the other two q's. Sorry.

I will say, I agree with the above poster that the internet banner is very intrusive and makes me feel like my sessions are insecure, but it is dismissible with a click on the "x" on the right end. Maybe that's a new-ish feature.

This is only the second time I've stayed at an FS ever, and I'm again amazed by the colonial-style furnishings, in what I consider to be garish colors. I'm starting to think this chain is stuck in a different era.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
I had to attend a wedding in Malibu last weekend and found most of the local hotels unacceptable so I decided to give the FS Westlake Village a try.

Booked a great rate through FHR, including $100 spa credit and $68 breakfast credit. I arrived at 10AM in advance of an early spa treatment and my room was ready. Was upgraded to the next category of room and 4PM late checkout offered and accepted.

I had a few issues booking my spa treatment, first the hotel didn't have a record of my online request when I called to confirm a few days later despite getting an email from the hotel that they received my request then they actually doubled booked but everything was resolved quickly and the manager seemed genuinely sorry for the confusion.

This is a great property for Southern Californians looking for a relaxing weekend getaway or for anyone who needs to be in the Westlake/Calabasas/Malibu area.

Things to note:
- Manicures and pedicure are done through the Yamaguchi salon and not eligible for the spa credit.
- Bathroom in deluxe room is huge with separate shower and tub.
- L'Occitane bath products in room
- There is an adults only pool just outside the spa area
- Complimentary access to spa facilities (locker, sauna, steam room, gym etc) if not getting a spa treatment
- Hotel was near capacity but spa facilities and adults only pool never felt busy.
-Food and drink service at the pool was attentative and complimentary mochi ice creams and smoothie shots were occasionally given out.
-Without traffic hotel is only 20 minutes from PCH in Malibu but was told with traffic it can take upwards of an hour
-Was quoted 50 minute wait time for room service breakfast due to hotel being near capacity but food was still delivered within 30 minutes of ordering
-Hotel grounds and gardens are stunning and peaceful, we easily spent 2 hours walking around and enjoying views.

Last edited by beta1607; Jul 31, 2012 at 9:03 am Reason: Edited to take our incorrect information about FSPP benefits
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:45 am

If the benefit has been downgraded from a $85 resort credit to an $85 spa credit, that makes this hotel much less of a deal for those of us who don't particularly want spa treatments.

I note you had a spa booking problem and that the manager seemed genuinely sorry for it. The managers at this hotel always seem genuinely sorry when something goes wrong. I know because I have had a number of things go wrong.

Let's face it, the San Fernando Valley really needs one good hotel. That might shake things up here.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If the benefit has been downgraded from a $85 resort credit to an $85 spa credit, that makes this hotel much less of a deal for those of us who don't particularly want spa treatments.

I note you had a spa booking problem and that the manager seemed genuinely sorry for it. The managers at this hotel always seem genuinely sorry when something goes wrong. I know because I have had a number of things go wrong.

Let's face it, the San Fernando Valley really needs one good hotel. That might shake things up here.
The extra amenity at Westlake Village is actually a $100 F&B credit.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks beta1607

Originally Posted by beta1607
adults only [spa] pool never felt busy
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...customers.html

members
28 treatment rooms
10 cabanas

vs acqualina for example
16 treatment rooms
no cabanas and IIRC not a member amenity
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
The extra amenity at Westlake Village is actually a $100 F&B credit.
Thanks, that is what I am used to there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.