Wiki Posts
Search

Andrew Harper's Hideaway Report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Bruiser
I have been a Hideaway Report and Collection subscriber for years, and one of the initial members of the Q Club. I would have to dispute one person's note that they don't cover the world - they cover just about everyplace. We have also found that the discounts for a couple of stays at major hotels at Q Club rates more than make up for the subscription costs, and we are usually treated very well because of the Q Club. I have also used them a lot for business, and have one of their overseas travel consultants who has taken a lot of time to make suggestions and arrangements when travelling in Europe.

Although they don't always find the little, out-of-the-way, less expensive places that exist and I am sure are good, as a general rule you cannot go wrong with their recommendations. We only had one hotel, in Salzburg, they recommended that we absolutely hated, so that is a pretty good record. (one note, they do go for the places Americans like, so that can be a turn-off sometimes if you don't want to run into a lot of Americans) They take their time recommending new places so don't go for the latest thing just because it has just opened.
The money I save with Harper's e-auctions more than compensate for the cost of the subscription. Although non-subscribers are ineligible to bid, anyone can see what's up for auction:

http://www.andrewharpertravel.com/ah...deawayAuctions
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:37 pm

Has anyone here subscribed to the medical evacuation service that Harper's promotes?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bruiser, do you know how the Q rates compare to FHR and Virtuoso?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Nota Bene - I have trialled this but cannot fall in love with it. I don't want 'destination reviews', I want 'hotel reviews' - and Gallivanters focuses on hotels better than NB. I'm happy to leave the guide book stuff to the guide books.
I've found that even though NB does do destination reviews, the hotel reviews are reasonably detailed, and as useful as GG's (albeit with less photos). They do, however, also focus on higher end suites rather than standard rooms, like GG.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:10 pm

I want to amend my comment above. At the time it was written I was not aware that the newest subscription renewals now required a bundled deal: Q Club plus the newsletter or some other combination that was even more expensive. A few days after writing my original comment the new renewal terms and conditions came in the mail. I will no longer subscribe. Harper used to be reasonably good, even with the defects. Now, it appears that a consultancy has given advice on how to slice and dice every possible service that could be added (vacation homes, yachts, hotel reservations, etc. etc.) and then provide expensively bundled combinations that require one to take products neither wanted nor used, all at higher prices.

On the few times I have been able to compare Virtuoso rates and amenities with Harper (since we did not subscribe to Q Club and used the resources of friends who did) I thought they were pretty close. In other words, if you have a Virtuoso agent you don't need Q Club, or it is only of marginal value compared to not having Virtuoso. It would appear the Q Club gains not only member fees but commissions directly from the property, although I do not know that of my own knowlege.

We originally subscribed either before, or in the infancy of, the internet. There are quite a few alternative sources (including this forum) that I did not know about or did not exist when I first subscribed. The bundling caused a re-examination of the value with the forced purchases and it was found wanting in our family.

We just recently canceled because we felt we were being played as suckers. I can see how a subscriber who wanted/needed the Q Club could feel differently, however. The problem is that there is no longer an a la carte subscription to the newsletter.

Last edited by insideinfo2; Feb 11, 2007 at 10:45 am Reason: convert Typonese to English
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for the inside info, insideinfo2

are there any properties that actually approach the upper limit of 40% off cited on their website?
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
thanks for the inside info, insideinfo2

are there any properties that actually approach the upper limit of 40% off cited on their website?
Anytime a seller quotes "FORTY PERCENT OFF!!!!" without specifying both the starting point and the ending point of the calculation, I start exploring the math. I think, but do not know, that the "percent off" has to be from rack rate or some other comparatively high starting point. I feel reasonably sure it cannot be anywhere close to that high a percentage off a Virtuoso rate.

The distribution channels for any high-end property are policed quite constantly, by the property. In the end, the results for any given constant date should be fairly close for each channel, provided one eliminates those channels that rely on ignorance of the buyer.

We finally decided that there is a finite limit to the number of resources we were willing to pay comparatively top dollar to receive. The Andrew Harper Report seems to have self-selected itself out by refusing to price the services separately as it has in the past. And I completely understand why someone else would disagree with that statement. It's a value perception.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what about the confirmed upgrades?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Bruiser, do you know how the Q rates compare to FHR and Virtuoso?
I really can't say as I have never used either of these; the only thing I can say is that we feel comfortable with all the hotels etc. recommended by Harper - and find that we are treated very well by their recommended places.

In response to another posting, I believe the only time Harper receives commissions from hotels is when you use their travel service and they book for you, the same as a travel agent would. However, I have noticed lately that some of the hotels have said we could not get the Harper Q Club rate unless their travel service booked it for us, which was not usually the case. So I don't know what is going on there or if it is just an individual hotel thing. We used to be able to just give the hotel our Q Club number to receive the discount.

I think in order to get anything out of the Harper costs/discounts one must travel quite a bit and stay in upscale places -
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:08 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I recently booked a couple of stays at US hotels through Harper after checking both their and the FHR rates (one of the hotels is not a Virtuoso property, and I was too busy the day I was doing it to check on the other). In both cases, Harper was substantially cheaper, but if I'd factored in the FHR Continental breakfast for two (there's only one of me and I'm not big on carbs), the disparity would have been much smaller.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:34 pm
CMV

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
The money I save with Harper's e-auctions more than compensate for the cost of the subscription. Although non-subscribers are ineligible to bid, anyone can see what's up for auction:

http://www.andrewharpertravel.com/ah...deawayAuctions
I'm with Blumie here. We joined after winning an eAuction and saved enough to cover several years' membership fees.

There is enough variety in the auctions to appeal to a variety of tastes and if you win one or two auctions a year, you've very likely paid for your membership and still come out ahead.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:33 pm

The Andrew Harper readers awards are in. Oh, theres a suprise as The San Regis Paris makes the top 20 international but the FS George V doesnt!

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/6WJODK...d5a4bc6e/1/r:t

Last edited by paul2; Oct 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm Reason: spell
Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by paul2
The Andrew Harper readers awards are in. Oh, theres a suprise as The San Regis Paris makes the top 20 international but the FS George V doesnt!

Were there any FS hotels?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 4:55 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS
Has anyone here subscribed to the medical evacuation service that Harper's promotes?
Yes, the service you are referring to is Medjet (http://www.medjetassist.com/), and fortunately I've never had to use it, but I do think it's well worth having. They will evacuate you from a hospital anywhere in the world to any hospital you want to go to. It's far superior to AMEX or Travel Guard in that you can simply chose to go to your home hospital, as opposed to being taken to the nearest hospital that THEY deem acceptable.

As far as the Harper services are concerned, I was a member for many years and I dropped my membership -- didn't feel like I was getting much that I couldn't find for myself online, and I was not a fan of their in-house travel agency -- they were all about sending you to the "usual suspects." They weren't bad, but they weren't particularly helpful in introducing us to ideas we didn't already have.

I kind of feel like those services have been somewhat obsoleted by the plethora of great internet sites -- this being a prime example.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by paul2

Well, it does say 75 or fewer rooms... so the George V wouldn't qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.