Bar Harbor, Maine

Old Sep 15, 06, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Bar Harbor, Maine

Is this a nice place? What is the new Fairmont going to be like here?
Old Sep 16, 06, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Bah Hahba is a small cute town on the Maine coast. Lots of small cute shops and local restaurants. Same goes for the hotels.

Avoid the local hotels and research a good B&B.

Check this out. It's info on Acadia National Park. http://www.acadia.national-park.com/

Bar Harbor info at http://usa.visitmaine.com/region/town_bar_harbor.php

Dan
Old Sep 16, 06, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Bah Hahba is ....
Dan
Oh man, that brings back memories.

The first time I went through Boston to Bangor, my First experience with Maine... the Boston agent told me I'd been switched to "Bah Hahba" airlines, and to go to their counter.
I spent 20 minutes going up and down the rows looking for "Bah Hahba" airlines ... finally I gave up and went back to the original counter... and asked where "Bah Hahba" was? She looked at me like I was a dope , and pointed to the counter 20 feet away.
Old May 5, 14, 7:31 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We're looking for a little bit of luxury in Bar Harbor. My best option looks like a b&b called Bass Cottage Inn. Does anyone know of anything better?

Thanks! This will be a first time visit.
Old May 5, 14, 8:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
This is a beautiful area , do explore Acadia National Park .
We cruised in this part but driven in the area on other trips .
Timing ? When are you going ?
BH is quaint , not the ' luxury ' inn type of location . But do check on B & Bs .
More luxury cabins / lodges for summer homes .
Perhaps in another forum for ideas ?
TR here if you find something , we ' d appreciate it .
Old May 6, 14, 10:02 am

Thanks, flyerEC. We're definitely planning on doing a little hiking. We love the old carriage trails.

The Bass Cottage Inn looks like the best option so far. They consider themselves more of a boutique hotel than a b&b. All very smartly updated...nothing too chintzy. We'll see.
Old Aug 25, 14, 12:22 pm

Bass Cottage Inn Mini Trip Report

We are just back from a few nights in Bar Harbor and….we found luxury! We stayed at a boutique hotel / B&B called the Bass Cottage Inn. Here are a few highlights.

- A hundred year old house that preserves the best of that era without being “chintzy”.

- Immaculate public areas and rooms. Think clean, clean, clean. No scratches, dings or sagging furniture.

- Attention to detail in everything including L’occitane toiletries, exceptional mattresses and bed linens, Toto toilets and pedestal sinks, quality jetted deep soaking tubs, carafes of cold water delivered to the room each day and wrapped in elegant zippered koozies, etc.

- Great service where the innkeepers know you by name, even on a short stay, and are knowledgeable about local activities, restaurants, and even the hiking trails.

- Ideal location in town so walking distance from restaurants and shops, but on a quiet out of the way street with water views from the top few floors.

- Unbelievably good breakfasts mindful of presentation, taste, use of local produce, etc.

- Beautiful old pantry stocked with complimentary beverages and homemade baked goods all day. Love, love, love the huge copper sink.

- Complementary wine and appetizers each evening before dinner.

Bass Cottage Inn is a fine example of two people (in this case, the husband and wife innkeepers) making a decision to do something right. If we were to open a B&B, this is the way we would do it.

While we were there we hiked a few of Rockefeller’s famed carriages trails, had a popover lunch on the Jordan Pond House lawn, and sailed on one of the original (1899) friendship sloops.
Old Aug 25, 14, 12:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Looks beautiful, and sounds like a special place. Thanks for the report. What room did you choose? Did you get a chance to look at others?
Old Aug 25, 14, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by LM225 View Post
Looks beautiful, and sounds like a special place. Thanks for the report. What room did you choose? Did you get a chance to look at others?
Salt & Pepper room. Sorry, no chance to look at other rooms.
Old Oct 12, 18, 9:28 am

Anyone have any new recommendations since 2014? Thinking about late spring 2019. Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 18, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by benjymessner View Post
Anyone have any new recommendations since 2014? Thinking about late spring 2019. Thanks!
I stayed at the Hampton Inn when I visited a couple years back. Nothing to write home about, although it was new-ish. I don't think there are 'luxury' hotels in the area in the traditional sense, but there are certainly homey, cozy choices to pick from.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 13, 18, 7:56 pm

I was just in Bar Harbor this week. There wasn't anything I saw there that would be considered "luxury" by most (or all) in this forum, but there were some decent places. We stayed at the Ullikana Inn: https://ullikana.com/
I would recommend it for the great location, and the beds were very good (they say they just upgraded all the beds at ~$3000 each). My wife liked the towels and the Molton Brown toiletries. The location was excellent, a minute or two walk from downtown, but just far enough off the main street to be quiet. Dedicated parking, which is great because the parking in Bar Harbor can be crazy when it is crowded.
We walked by another larger place that looked decent, the Bar Harbor Inn. It is on the waterfront, and had some balcony rooms facing the harbor. The Ullikana was a small B&B vibe, and the Bar Harbor Inn is much larger.
If you are planning on exploring the area and want another recommendation, I HIGHLY recommend the Inn at Sunrise Point. It is in the Camden/Lincolnville area, south of Bar Harbor. It is right on the water, with beautiful views and amazing sunrise view (as you would expect by the name). We had a cottage facing the water, and it was probably the best B&B we have been to.
https://www.sunrisepoint.com/
The Homer Cottage seemed to be in the best position and most private.

EDIT: I also should have mentioned that for the spring you should check the schedule in advance. Many of the places we saw in the area are closed until April or May.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by Travlur; Oct 13, 18 at 8:28 pm
Old Oct 14, 18, 4:02 am

Sunrise Point looks amazing!
Old Oct 14, 18, 8:49 am

Thank you all!
Old Jan 2, 19, 3:34 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Went on my honnymoon wrote a trip report here.
Honeymoon DUB-LHR-BOS-DCA-NYC-LHR BA F & AA F

Kinda wished I stayed in a B&B as the hotel was not much to talk of.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: