Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Singapore - good hotel for special getaway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ KF Gold

Dear all,

Sorry for the crosspost (the original posting is here)...

I am planning a special weekend with my better half and am trying to decide between one of the Stamford Crest suites at Swissotel the Stamford, and a suite at the sister hotel Raffles The Plaza.

Does anybody have experience with both these hotels? How do they compare? Suggestions for alternative venues would also be welcome, although those two are my current preferred choices, as they are central and have ready access to the subway system (MRT).

Many thanks in advance!
DoctorWu
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:55 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Haven't stayed at either but I believe the Plaza is the better hotel of the 2. The suites at the Swissotel however are likley to be very very high up with superb views of the city
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:20 am

Raffles, The Plaza SOUTH TOWER has newer rooms, with better bathrooms (renovated in 2000). They have just started renovating the NORTH TOWER this year - it'll be a major upgrade from before, but the bathrooms won't be as nice the ones in SOUTH TOWER.

The Exec Rooms in SOUTH TOWER have access to a lounge and private gym.

I would go for the suites in RTP South Tower.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:09 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Why not go for the Raffles Hotel itself....... through Virtuoso you can get some good rates which I would imagine would be competitive with suites at the Swissotel and Raffles, The Plaza........
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luxury
Why not go for the Raffles Hotel itself....... through Virtuoso you can get some good rates which I would imagine would be competitive with suites at the Swissotel and Raffles, The Plaza........
That's a good point. Just that my better half likes a room with a view, preferably a high floor.

While on the topic of other options, how does the Singapore Ritz-Carlton measure up?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by DoctorWu
That's a good point. Just that my better half likes a room with a view, preferably a high floor.

While on the topic of other options, how does the Singapore Ritz-Carlton measure up?

Thanks again!
Hi DoctorWU:

Have you considered the Shangri-la? THis is the hotel often chosen by heads of State, including Clinton, Bush, Rumsfield, Condie Rice (I was there when she was in town, by chance of course, King Abdola(sp) of Jordan, etc. Let me know if you would like additional info. Unfortuantly, I fell in love with this facility and often stay there, the Rasa Sentosa Shangri-la Resort on the beach, (great, hugh suites with multiple balconies and sweeping views) or the somewhat more downscale but very convenient (for me) city location- Traders Hotel (suites are great, staff very special!).

Unfortuately, I cannot compare preceeding properties with any of the hotels on your list as I have not stayed at any one of them but have at least had drinks and/or dined in all 4. (I am in SIN about 5-6 times a year for about 6 nights each visit) .

If cost is of no consideration, then I would go for the ~2000 square foot Presidental Suite at Shangri-la which comes with a private butler, food prespared in the suite kitchen by chef, etc and extremely gracious service by staff that has multiple security clearences from various State governments, etc. This suite also has private exercise room, study, conference room/dinning room, etc. Very impressive unit but outside my budget.

At any rate, if any of these sound interesting, send me a PM for more details.
Have fun...
LWW
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747LWW
If cost is of no consideration, then I would go for the ~2000 square foot Presidental Suite at Shangri-la which comes with a private butler, food prespared in the suite kitchen by chef, etc and extremely gracious service by staff that has multiple security clearences from various State governments, etc. This suite also has private exercise room, study, conference room/dinning room, etc. Very impressive unit but outside my budget.
Thanks so much for your reply. Unfortunately my budget doesn't quite extend to the Shangri-La Presidential Suite.

Anyway after some further research, I'm planning to spring for a suite at the Singapore Ritz-Carlton Millenia, on their Club floor. The prospect of 5 spreads of food a day in the lounge sounds quite appealing.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:15 am

I have written a Report on my stay at the RC Millennia and suffice to say I was not impressed, though quite a few others on the board swear by this property. I think I spent more time swearing AT this property!!

The views of Marina Bay are gorgeous and the Club Level excellent with some excellent staff members. Service overall is patchy and inconsistent. Room decor, at least in our Millennia Suite, was a mish-mash of colonial, bachelor-pad-Ikea-chic, to luxe.

THe food presentations are quite nice and Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial is the house poor (spelling error intended to convey pun).... the Conrad Executive Lounge pours Veuve Cliquot!!

However, if view is important then the RC Club level may be the best value. Otherwise, perhaps the Fullerton may be a good choice as well.........
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Dear all,

Sorry for the crosspost (the original posting is here)...

I am planning a special weekend with my better half and am trying to decide between one of the Stamford Crest suites at Swissotel the Stamford, and a suite at the sister hotel Raffles The Plaza.

Does anybody have experience with both these hotels? How do they compare? Suggestions for alternative venues would also be welcome, although those two are my current preferred choices, as they are central and have ready access to the subway system (MRT).

Many thanks in advance!
DoctorWu
hey doctor wu.
Flying Doctor Wu here!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:43 am

Thanks so much for your reply. Unfortunately my budget doesn't quite extend to the Shangri-La Presidential Suite.

Anyway after some further research, I'm planning to spring for a suite at the Singapore Ritz-Carlton Millenia, on their Club floor. The prospect of 5 spreads of food a day in the lounge sounds quite appealing.
What ever your choice, I am certain you will enjoy the visit. And for sure the Presidental Suite is out of my budget also!

Regards
LWW
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:10 am
Suspended

Airfares out of SIN is pretty cheap. Why not take a 1-2 hrs flight to Malaysia, Thailand or Indonesia where you will be able to strech your dollar further. For the same money, you will be looking at some top hotels/resorts in the region. And being away in a foreign country will also make your stay more interesting. I do find it mind boggling paying top dollars for a suite overlooking ......your own office

I wouldnt get too excited with a suite at Raffles the Plaza though its a fine business hotel. I have stayed at a Jr Suite (Grand Room) when it was a Westin and its decent, nothing more. The only interesting feature of the rooms at this hotel is .... the remote control curtains

Last edited by mario33; Jul 12, 2006 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mario33
Airfares out of SIN is pretty cheap. Why not take a 1-2 hrs flight to Malaysia, Thailand or Indonesia where you will be able to strech your dollar further.
For reference, there is a Business class special fare of 500 SGD return to Bangkok on Swiss, bookable via their SIN site. I believe that is good into October. Of course, it is only a 2 hour flight but.......
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
I was at RTP at the start of June, the rooms are fresh, and have decent views of SIN. Bathrroms in RTP south are really nice.

While you are there check out the 72nd floor of the stamford.... The views are amazing.

I have also spent time at The Fullerton. It was a really nice experience. The pool they have is really cool.
Old May 28, 2007, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Question Shangri-La Valley Wing vs Ritz Carlton

Hello all,

Am planning another special getaway and am now deciding whether to go for the Shangri-La's Valley Wing or Horizon Club room, or to return to the Ritz Carlton.

Does anybody here have experience of both venues? Recommendations and reviews would be most appreciated.

Thanks to everybody in advance!
DoctorWu
Old May 28, 2007, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC RC Club has more entree dishes at dinner

if you go to SL definitely go Valley Wing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.