Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G

The Peninsula Bangkok

Map| 4 Reviews | 100% Recommended

The Peninsula Bangkok

333 Charoennakorn Road Bangkok, TH 10600

Peninsula BKK (0 Photo)

The Peninsula Bangkok

Two weeks ago I stayed at the Peninsula Bangkok after reading many rave reviews here on the Luxury Hotels board at FlyerTalk. I had to see for myself what the hype was about. Here are my experiences and observations.

I will start off as usual, with some vital statistics, pro's and con's and then will fill in more detail in subsequent posts.

Room booked: Deluxe Suite, Virtuoso rate, $368USDinclusive of one-way airport transfer, early check-in and late check-out, as well as one category upgrade subject toavailbility at check-in, complimentary buffet breakfast for 2 at River Cafe & Terrace plus the other standard amenitiessuch as free internet, fruit plate, etc etc

Room received: Grand Deluxe suite, 23rd floor with 4:00pm late check-out

Pro's: Probably the best value luxury hotel in Bangkok Well appointed rooms Excellent breakfast buffet Decent concierge service

Con's:

-The coldest check-in experience ever in a luxury hotel-Mediocre service (the Four Seasons BKK is miles ahead in terms ofservice)

-shoes were unshined despite putting them into that cutesecurity concern box, putting on the switch AND calling the relevant department -dated and staid decor..... the rooms felt generically international 5star -- I felt I could move the Pen BKK into Shinjuku area of Tokyoand it would fit in there too.... -a room service menu with nary any Thai food on it!!!! In this respect,the Oriental and Four Seasons shine....... why come to Bangkok to eatsupreme of chicken???

Check In

We stayed at the nearby, and new, Millennium Hilton Bangkok the night before and took a cab from the Hilton to the Peninsula. The arrival at the Peninsula was nothing out of the ordinary, though our luggage was swiftly unloaded and we were generally shown the way to the Front Desk to check-in.

The check-in agents were the most unfriendly, coldest, and emotionless Thai ladies I have ever met. Robotic, no smile, no welcome to the Peninsula, no courtesy. I would have expected this in Geneva, Berlin or Zurich but not in Bangkok...... she unceremoniously gave us some orchid thing and then told us to follow her to our room.

After the check-in agent left a parade of staff members visited the room, first with a fruit plate (a little larger than the one already in the room, which, curiously was taken away), fresh mango juice, Peninsula brand chocolates; then with some hot jasmine tea, cold oshibori towels; and then finally with our luggage.

This arrival ritual was quite impressive and the chocolates, cookies, fruit, juice and tea made for a very nice snack. The complimentary high speed internet was very welcome.

Room

The room was luxe, if not staid, and was a Grand Deluxe suite on the 23rd floor with very nice views of the river and of the Oriental Hotel across the river. Entering the suite there is a small foyer which leads you left towards the work desk. Behind the work desk is a guest toilet with river views. From the work desk the living room opens up with a small dining table for four, a couple arm chairs and a sofa. On the dining table was a small fruit plate and a box of Peninsula cookies. There is a puny old school TV in a built-in armoire. There is a door separating the living room from the rest of the suite. Behind that door is a small corridor; to the left leads you to the bedroom with a small reading nook by the window, a make up table, and armoire with small old-school TV. Directly in front of the door to the living room is the spacious marble bathroom with two single vanities, a separate stall shower, separate WC cubicle, and large deep soaking tub with small TV in the wall. To the right of the corridor leads you to the dressing room area where the small cubby hole for shoe shine, newspaper delivery, etc is located. The TV were of note since the Hilton next door, at half the price, had Sharp Aquos LCD TVs in the suites.

Service

Since we were both left Japan with the cold/flu we were simply too exhausted to go out for dinner and reluctantly cancelled our reservations at Celadon. We decided to order room service and was astonished to see about 5 Thai food items on their menu. The hotel obliged my request for the Thiptara menu to be brought to the room from which we ended up ordering from. Knowing that Thiptara tends to cater to a western taste we asked for the food to be served at local spice levels. The food was very good and came in generous portions -- the steamed bass in spicy lemon sauce was very nice as was their duck curry (though the one at Spice Market at the Four Seasons is still better). The only issue with room service was that the food was not delivered anywhere near the promised 25 minutes. The food arrived nearly 20 minutes late. We also enjoyed khao pad and some stir fried vegetables to round off our meal.

The buffet breakfast at the River Cafe & Terrace was one of the nicest breakfast buffets I have seen in quite some time. The selection was staggering and the service was pretty good. The quality of the western food was decent but the Asian choices, as one would expect, was wonderful. Still recovering from our colds we decided to eat indoors. Having this included in the rate was an excellent value.

Overall

Check-out procedures were handled at the same desk by the same frosty Front desk agents. The Concierge had confirmed our Mercedes limousine to the airport for 4:00pm which was the same time as our check-out.

Due to traffic, our limousine was waiting for us at the Peninsula Pier side, adjacent to the Oriental Hotel. Our luggage was already loaded on a private Peninsula boat which was solely reserved for our use. Crossin the Chao Phraya, the Taksin bridge was a virtual parking lot and the Concierge made an excellent call in having our car wait for us on the other side.

Another point of interest was that when the Mercedes transfer is included in the rate you are not able to pay a supplement, that is the difference between the Mercedes and the RR, for the Rolls Royce. You have to pay the entire Rolls Royce amount. While the rate is VERY reasonable for the Rolls Royce, it would be a nice gesture for the hotel to allow one to pay the supplement and use the Rolls Royce. I don't quite understand this stinginess on the part of the hotel.

Once at the Peninsula Pier our luggage was quickly loaded into the trunk and we were off to Don Muaeng for our Gulf Air flight to Bahrain. Of note, there were no cold towels nor chilled bottles of water provided in the car like the Oriental, Four Seasons, and Inter-Continental provide.

At the airport, Peninsula does not have an airport representative there to help departing passengers with check-in. This is a very nice service that the Four Seasons Bangkok provides -- there is a representative to meet and assist both arriving and departing guests.

Peninsula BKK

Would you like to write a review on the The Peninsula Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by IBtyen; Nov 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Totally agree with your comments regarding check in!

We recently stayed there had a wonderful stay and loved the place, but check-in was a real mess.

Cold and slightly distant check-in staff, took 10 minutes, the check in lady was half dealing with me and half stapling bits of paper together from a previous guest. Forgot to honour a complimentary room upgrade until I reminded her and then forgot to give us the voucher for afternoon tea and free skytrain passes.

I reported these to the resident manager and got an excellent response, but I really think this is a big issue this hotel MUST address. You and I are not the only 2 guests who've noted poor check-in at this hotel.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
We had the Pen pick us up in their airport car last November. We were met at the steps of the hotel and whisked immediately into the elevators where check in took place in our Grande Deluxe Suite. Very efficient.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:25 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Oh, when I stayed I had cold towels and chilled water in the car both ways from and back to the airport. It was an old Mercedes S Class which had run about 188000km.

Check-in wasn't great, upgrade not given despite Amex Centurion rate and booking. But got free airport transfers and massage, which was nice.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 4:32 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Given the current large scale renovations going on at the Four Seasons, when complete, will offer, IMHO, Bangkok's best rooms. You can see a sample of the newly renovated rooms at the Four Seasons Bangkok website -- click on Deluxe room. It has a modern Thai flair, large plasma screen, and still the best and most comprehensive service thus far in any hotel I have stayed at in Bangkok.

The Oriental and Peninsula didn't know what a humidifier was when I asked for one (having one is preferable for medical reasons); the Four Seasons' response was, "right away!!"

However, the Peninsula does offer a fantastic value and perhaps that is its main strength. But with the Four Seasons renovations currently underway and with their service levels, for me, I still vote the Four Seasons as the best hotel in Bangkok. Will be interesting to see how the forthcoming Regent will turn out....
Old Jun 4, 2006, 3:56 am

Agree with Raffles, the airport pick-up service ensures very smooth and efficient check-in as it will be handled in your room upon arrival. No waiting at reception.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by luxury
Check-out and Departure:

Check-out procedures were handled at the same desk by the same frosty Front desk agents. The Concierge had confirmed our Mercedes limousine to the airport for 4:00pm which was the same time as our check-out.

Due to traffic, our limousine was waiting for us at the Peninsula Pier side, adjacent to the Oriental Hotel. Our luggage was already loaded on a private Peninsula boat which was solely reserved for our use. Crossin the Chao Phraya, the Taksin bridge was a virtual parking lot and the Concierge made an excellent call in having our car wait for us on the other side.

Another point of interest was that when the Mercedes transfer is included in the rate you are not able to pay a supplement, that is the difference between the Mercedes and the RR, for the Rolls Royce. You have to pay the entire Rolls Royce amount. While the rate is VERY reasonable for the Rolls Royce, it would be a nice gesture for the hotel to allow one to pay the supplement and use the Rolls Royce. I don't quite understand this stinginess on the part of the hotel

Once at the Peninsula Pier our luggage was quickly loaded into the trunk and we were off to Don Muaeng for our Gulf Air flight to Bahrain. Of note, there were no cold towels nor chilled bottles of water provided in the car like the Oriental, Four Seasons, and Inter-Continental provide.

At the airport, Peninsula does not have an airport representative there to help departing passengers with check-in. This is a very nice service that the Four Seasons Bangkok provides -- there is a representative to meet and assist both arriving and departing guests.
We booked the Rolls to pick us up from the airport and the standard Merc to take us back. On the bill they were invoiced to different companies - this might explain why it's difficult (or impossible) to upgrade, as it were.

On both arrival and departure we were assisted at the airport by Peninsula staff - so it does happen, at least some of the time.

We had water in the Rolls from ther airport, but not in the Merc back. Maybe they thought we wouldn't need it as we had just walked 10ft from the airconditioned lobby.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I personnaly, although a huge fan of Pen hotels in the world, have never understood all the ranting and raving about the Pen BKK.
I must say however that airport transfer and assistance (I had booked the RR) where great in and out (as good as in HKG).
Check-in in the room was fine, no room upgrade (LC) and they insisted on how priviledged I was to be offered (as a member of the LC) the fantasticaly tacky and cheap Pen 75th Birthday lugage tag.
I had trouble with check-out, they told me (or didn't understand my question) that I could check-out at the pier where the car would be waiting, so I did end up having a few trips across the river for nothing.
At the time I was there, it was a fight to get a table at breakfast, a most unpleasant experience.
A great location, with great views. Crossing the river is fun and skytrain very easy and quick as is river taxi etc...
A very ugly and poor modern construction, in the first room I had, every time the shower or toilet in the room above were used it made a terrible noise, I was told that this was normal and mouve to a corner room with fantastic views and no disturbance from neibouring rooms.
I agree it is very good value, but for my next stay this year I have booked the Met, will have to see.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 2:56 pm

I stayed at the Dusit Thani and had a great time. I stayed in the deluxe room and the check-in was first class. I went to a separate floor, had a refreshing drink, and was treated like a VIP. The restaurant was great for lunch or dinner, but the breakfast buffet wasn't so great. I actually passed on the free breakfast. Another low point was the gym. The location is pretty good ... you are right next to a light rail stop, so you can pretty much go anywhere you want. There are a couple of malls and shops around, but the nothing compared to MBK or anything.

The next stop was at the Shangri-La Hotel. I stayed at the Krungthep Wing Krungthep Deluxe King. I heard that everyone was extremely nice and you get spoiled, but it was OK. Maybe because didn't dress up and I looked local. My room was great, the wing I stayed at was fairly new and the design was up to date. That bed was ultra comfortable. The restaurant wasn't good and kinda expensive. The location was OK only because a light rail stop is steps away, other than that I wouldn't walk around outside. Another thing I liked about the hotel was the lobby and ballrooms. I would have a conference or even a wedding there.

My next visit there, I was considering the Peninsula or the Four Seasons.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
While the Peninsula Bangkok has been and remains my favorite hotel in the world--concededly in part because it is my "home" in Bangkok where I get to spend time with Mr. Megatop, my partner in a 12,000-mile Long Distance Relationship--I must agree that chilly to downright frosty check-in staff has been Peninsula Bangkok's weakest point since my first visit in 2001. The small jasmine garlands were a new touch on my stay about a week ago and were quite nice. But management needs to either invest in additional training of the check-in ladies or hire new ones. While check-out staff need to be entrusted with judgment and firm with guests griping about bills or threatening to stiff the place (a suprisingly common experience that luxury hotels must endure, costing the rest of us dearly), check-in staff ought to be the friendliest, warmest, and most bubbly personalities in the hotel. The challenge is finding the right balance, no doubt. Thai culture is among the most warm and welcoming to foreigners of any in Asia, so it should not be difficult to find warm check-in staff.

The front desk staff have not been uniformly cold. A few of the ladies I have encountered have been better than others. And one young fellow, who goes by the nickname "Khun X" may be one of the friendliest and warmest staff members I have met at Peninsula Bangkok (that I know his nickmane is an indication of the personal touch he delivers). He handled check-in arrangements for me and Mr. Megatop about a year ago, performing with great warmth and professionalism. He was not working when we checked-in at last Christmas and New Year's, but when we happened to cross paths later during our stay, he remembered me from seven months earlier and made a point to welcome me back. This time, he happened to be working when I arrived, and handled checkin as before. Knowing that Peninsula Bangkok has become my home in that city, he even said "Welcome Home" as he opened the door to the very same room as we'd stayed in over New Year's. Would that all of his colleagues were so good.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by luxury
Pro's: Probably the best value luxury hotel in Bangkok
Well appointed rooms
Excellent breakfast buffet
Decent concierge service

Con's: -The coldest check-in experience ever in a luxury hotel
-Mediocre service (the Four Seasons BKK is miles ahead in terms of
service)
-shoes were unshined despite putting them into that cute
security concern box, putting on the switch AND calling
the relevant department
-dated and staid decor..... the rooms felt generically international 5
star -- I felt I could move the Pen BKK into Shinjuku area of Tokyo
and it would fit in there too....
-a room service menu with nary any Thai food on it!!!! In this respect,
the Oriental and Four Seasons shine....... why come to Bangkok to eat
supreme of chicken???
When we were in BKK last year, we went to see if we wanted to stay there when we returned to the city for a day at the end of the trip. We felt the same way you did about the generic decor, which really made us not want to stay there in Bangkok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.