Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Boutique Hotel Recommendations for London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 6:18 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

All,

Do you have any boutique hotel recommendations for London? (this is for Ericka's Aunt and Uncle)

I've heard of the The Stafford - the ambience and location sound nice and the pricing seems better than some of the big names like the Dorchester.

Also, any recommendations for country accomodations in other parts of England and Scotland?

Thanks!
Ericka
Old May 19, 2006, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I've stayed at The Halkin (www.halkin.co.uk) -- in Belgravia, right around the corner from The Lanesborough -- several times, and always have been pleased. Also, although I've never stayed there, the Harper Collection speaks highly of 22 Jermyn Street (www.22jermyn).
Old May 19, 2006, 10:35 pm

mrs. themicah and I stayed at the Zetter (http://www.thezetter.com/) in August, '04. We I loved the high-design rooms and bathrooms, the high-tech toys (the TV doubles as an iPod-like jukebox and you have a choice of color schemes for lighting), the super-comfy bed, the complimentary current issue of Time Out London, and the still and sparkling water drawn from the hotel's own well. We didn't try the restaurant, but it looked good.

That said, it is far from a full-service hotel. One might even call it a self-service hotel. There are high-tech vending machines in the hallways, or for a wider snack selection the desk clerk actually recommended the gas station down the street. At night we essentially had to let ourselves in, although there was always somebody in the lobby just in case we needed anything.

The location was a little farther from the main tourist areas than most hotels, but we enjoyed being in a neighborhood where we could get a sense of how young hip Londoners live instead of being surrounded by tourists. And public transportation was easy.
Old May 19, 2006, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
Try One Aldwych. Great hotel and service.
Old May 20, 2006, 6:47 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
These are some great suggestions but they may be a bit modern for my Aunt and Uncle's taste.

Anyone familiar with the Parkes Hotel close to Harrods?
Old May 20, 2006, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Try Dukes Hotel off of St. James'. I've not stayed there (after 30+stays at the Four Seasons on Park Lane, I'd feel lost elsewhere), but I hear from others that it is quite nice, and the location is great.
Old May 20, 2006, 7:55 am

I have had clients stay at the Parkes. The location is great. The public areas could do with a good remodel and update. The rooms are fine.

I would recommend Cadogan as a true boutique luxury hotel in Knightsbridge. My grandmother stayed there for a few days and really liked it. It was remodeled by GLH Hotels (known for the Lancaster in Paris), although it has now been sold to another party. Guests have their choice of modern or traditional rooms. My grandmother stayed in a modern room and still raved about it, although her tastes are generally more traditional. We got a very good dollar for pound rate (e.g., the rate was $350 when it should have been 350 GBP at the time). Location is great on Sloane Street.

I would also recommend The Basil and The Knightsbridge.
Old May 20, 2006, 12:07 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The Stafford and Halkin are great.... Rocco Forte has re-opened Browns in Mayfair and the hotel du jour with Celebs is the Bagaloni.
Old May 20, 2006, 2:30 pm

Programs: AMEX Rewards Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Continental and American
Claridges is a very nice option in Mayfair if your looking for a swank art-deco atmosphere with really incredible service.
Old May 20, 2006, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Avoid the Hempel. I don't know why the London hip crowd likes this hotel.

Up in Suffolk near Woodbridge is Seckford Hall http://www.seckford.co.uk/. It's hundreds of years old and they have a four poster that supposedly Elizabeth slept in during the 1600's. I rather like this inn.
Old May 21, 2006, 6:16 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
The only solution:

Dear Ericka,

there is only one brillant solution according to the search-profile in your question:

It is of course the Soho Hotel (http://www.firmdale.com/SHPH.html) by the Firmdale Group.

The 5 Firmdale Hotels are the only real boutique hotels in London, and the Soho Hotel (Top rated by both the Galivanter Guide and Nota Bene) ist their most modern designed hotel.

Ask for a suite in the 5th (top) floor - then you have something much light and even a nice view through the lofty, big windows.

Food is very good, mood is very good, design is quite unique and brillant!
Old May 21, 2006, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM
We enjoyed a stay at the Lygon Arms in the Cotswolds-very traditional British. It used to be owned by the Savoy group but don't know if it still is.

www.broadway-cotswolds.co.uk/lygon.com
Old May 21, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
If price and location do become more important than having a true boutique hotel, I have had loads of luck with Priceline. Specifically, book something near Marble Arch and you should be able to get the Thistle Marble Arch for around 50USD per night. If you're looking for something closer to Tower Bridge, use priceline for that neighborhood and the same amount and you can end up with the Thistle Tower Bridge. Of course, in both cases they are chain hotels, but they are decent hotels, and excellent for that price in London.
Old May 21, 2006, 5:24 pm

For Scotland try the Isle of Eriska near Oban
Old May 22, 2006, 8:39 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Although I like the Stafford, I have generally chosen to stay at Dukes when I wanted a small hotel in St. James, largely because it has a gym (the Stafford, I believe, will at last be building one), but that may not be an issue for your relatives, and the carriage houses at the Stafford are very highly regarded. They are both very English, charming and a bit quirky, in an area that resonates with history. I've heard very good things about the Soho, but the area may not be what your aunt and uncle want. (For similar reasons, I would not recommend the Covent Garden.) I'm having my first stay at the Halkin in a few days, but its style is clearly NOT very English, so it all depends on what they are looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.