Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Report: Four Seasons Whistler

Report: Four Seasons Whistler

Old Jul 31, 08, 6:52 pm

Programs: Super-Titanium member of the Gate Roach program. :P
I stayed at the FS Whistler back in March for about a week. It is an amazing hotel. The staff was quite friendly and bent over backwards to meet any request we might have (although in fairness, I had some family members who were working for the hotel and so knew everyone). The facilities are excellent and the bar was fantastic. The conceige service was also very prompt and helpful and remembered what our preferences were. I definitely recommend it to anyone considering staying here.
Old Aug 3, 08, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Silver, Delta, Continental, Marriott, Starwood
My wife and I stayed at the Whistler FS last summer. All the plaudits I read applied to us. It really was outstanding. Special mention to the Concierge team and the valet staff.
Food was good. However, the service really was not up to scratch.

But would go back in a heartbeat.

Mick

PS I was interested to see the good rate on Virtuoso. Is this something I could get in the UK? Or is it only a corporate facility?
Old Aug 4, 08, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA, LH, BD
Virtuoso rates are same as the Published rates.

with the following:
Virtuoso guests receive:
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Chef's choice welcome amenity with welcome card
Daily continental breakfast for up to two in-room guests, in restaurant
A 15% discount off two spa treatment during stay
Old Jul 9, 09, 1:24 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG
Since I first started this report we have been returning 2-3 times yearly as it is a great escape from Vancouver.

I just spent Saturday night at the property having won a prize (free night in a deluxe room plus two 50 minute spa treatments) via the Four Seasons Vancouver (apparently anyone who purchased a Four Seasons Gift Card was entered into a draw).

The property is gorgeous during the summer as we tend to stay in the off-season (April/May/November) to avoid the crowds. We were upgraded to a Premier room and the stay went very smoothly. The menu has changed at 5280 and the food is better than ever. A sign of the times there are nightly specials at the restaurant which look very attractive.

The Spa treatments were very good as per usual.

We also went out into the Village and dined at Il Caminetto (since my favourite Trattoria di Umberto is now closed at lunch) and at the Bearfoot Bistro as they were having a $39, three course prix fixe dinner. Il Caminetto was a tremendous disappointment -- I felt that I can cook better italian -- but Bearfoot was like an epiphany. The best service in a fine dining restaurant I have seen in Canada and simply outstanding food.

All in all, a wonderful get-away from Vancouver.
Old Jul 9, 09, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA CK / LT PLT, Starwood GLD, Avis Pres Club, Hertz GLD
Originally Posted by luxury View Post

Bearfoot Bistro as they were having a $39, three course prix fixe dinner. but Bearfoot was like an epiphany. The best service in a fine dining restaurant I have seen in Canada and simply outstanding food.
Damn, $39 for Bearfoot? Holy cow that's like ridiculously cheap. My wife and I did the tasting menu with a few cocktails back in 2008 and we spent over US$800!! To add insult to injury, I really didn't think it was all that great.

Compare that to Rimrock Cafe where we received superior food (in our opinion) for <US$200 total, including wine & cocktails.
Old Jul 4, 11, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

I just spent the Canada Day long weekend up in Whistler. We were upgraded to an Executive suite with a large balcony facing the Chateau Whistler.

Service is what one can expect from Whistler and the resort seemed a little stretched due to the fairly high occupancy (130 check-ins on Friday). It was, however, great to see the property full and buzzing with activity. Being the first BIG weekend for the resort it was evident not all systems were working the way it should.

We enjoyed seeing half of the Canada Day fireworks from our balcony -- the Chateau Whistler blocked a lot of the lower level explosions but it was still stunning to watch. The echoes through the valley were quite impressive as well.

What impressed me this time was the food at dinner. We ate at Fifty Two 80 Bistro the first night and had a wonderful meal of chicken wings (truly outstanding), pastrami sandwich, fish and chips, and the Fat Dogs (Friday is Fat Dog night with a choice of bacon wrapped kobe dog or chicago style). For dessert, we shared the warm apple crumble. The food is still fantastic in the Bistro which is the former Lounge.

I had not been able to try SideCut, the new-ish signature restaurant when I stayed in January but was able to try it this time around. While mainly a steak restaurant, they are not solely a steak restaurant. SideCut features remarkable local seafood as well. We shared a caesar salad, a ribeye and salmon. We also ordered a side order of King crab legs, potato puree, carrots, and grilled asparagus.

The restaurant features custom rubs for the proteins and we went with Edison's medicine for the ribeye (a great choice) and Lemon Buddha for the salmon. The Argentinian chimichurri sauce was great with the meat and the yuzu butter fantastic with the salmon. Both were cooked to perfection and the salmon was absolutely heavenly. The King crab legs were very reasonable at $12 for about a quarter pound (2 meaty legs cut in half for 4 pieces total)

The service was warm and attentive without being too casual or formal. Desserts were a little disappointing given the quality of the rest of the meal but the overall dining experience was fantastic.

The property now has 2 solid dining options to choose from.
Old Jan 21, 13, 11:46 am

Overall the service and room experience we received while staying here was very good and what you would expect from a Four Seasons. Since we were staying after Labour Day the rates are close to the lowest for Whistler at this time and it’s an easy choice to spend an extra $60 a night compared to many of the 3.5 and 4 star options nearby while getting the Four Seasons Preferred partner benefits.

If you prefer to be in the middle of the action a hotel in Whistler Village will probably be more to your liking. It isn’t truly ski in or out either even though they have a separate ski building and ski concierge at the base of the Blackcomb chairlift a few hundred yards away. Since the hotel was built fairly recently it doesn’t have the perfect location but guarantees to be quiet compared to many of the other top hotels in this ski town. However keep in mind anything you may need is at most a 15 minute walk or 3 minutes by house car.

I’ve stayed at 20 different hotels, condos and B&Bs in Whistler and can easily say the Four Seasons is in its own class in this ski town. It is truly the only 5 star hotel and if you enjoy the finer things in life, plan to eat out every meal and want to get out of the relative hustle and bustle of Whistler village during the night this is your hotel. If you prefer to cook a few meals and have more living room space at the same budget as a room at the Four Seasons I would suggest you look into many of the 1 and 2 bedroom condos with kitchens available throughout Whistler.

Here's a recent hotel report I did with plenty of pictures and some more details as well as a floorplan:
http://behindthecockpit.wordpress.co...-hotel-report/

Last edited by kokinos; Jan 21, 13 at 1:45 pm
Old Apr 10, 13, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by kokinos View Post
Overall the service and room experience we received while staying here was very good and what you would expect from a Four Seasons. Since we were staying after Labour Day the rates are close to the lowest for Whistler at this time and itís an easy choice to spend an extra $60 a night compared to many of the 3.5 and 4 star options nearby while getting the Four Seasons Preferred partner benefits.

If you prefer to be in the middle of the action a hotel in Whistler Village will probably be more to your liking. It isnít truly ski in or out either even though they have a separate ski building and ski concierge at the base of the Blackcomb chairlift a few hundred yards away. Since the hotel was built fairly recently it doesnít have the perfect location but guarantees to be quiet compared to many of the other top hotels in this ski town. However keep in mind anything you may need is at most a 15 minute walk or 3 minutes by house car.

Iíve stayed at 20 different hotels, condos and B&Bs in Whistler and can easily say the Four Seasons is in its own class in this ski town. It is truly the only 5 star hotel and if you enjoy the finer things in life, plan to eat out every meal and want to get out of the relative hustle and bustle of Whistler village during the night this is your hotel. If you prefer to cook a few meals and have more living room space at the same budget as a room at the Four Seasons I would suggest you look into many of the 1 and 2 bedroom condos with kitchens available throughout Whistler.

Here's a recent hotel report I did with plenty of pictures and some more details as well as a floorplan:
http://behindthecockpit.wordpress.co...-hotel-report/
Great report kokinos! Answered a lot of my questions, ty.
Old Aug 28, 13, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In August I completed a stay at the Four Seasons Whistler and once again it was very close to perfect (I really like this hotel and tend to come here at least once a year if not more often).

Arrival/Checkin- We were very early arriving in Whistler as we were meeting some friends for lunch at noon- as such our room was not ready- not a problem at all as the great valet staff took all of our bags, took care of our car, and checkin was promptly handled even though our room was not ready- they took my mobile number and called me as soon as our room was ready which was only 30 minutes later. The hotel was very busy between visiting leisure guests, the Crankwerx global event, and a couple of conventions- in fact Whistler/Blackcomb in general was packed which is always great to see and a wonderful vibe. The checkin desk noted we were repeat/regular guests and got us a great room as usual.

Room- Comments are in this thread already- wonderful spacious rooms many with little decks which are perfect for breakfast, gas fireplaces, separate walkin wardrobe room, and a very well appointed bathroom. I often think this hotel looks like Ralph Lauren designed/outfitted it with a Canadian feel.

Sidecut (Restaurant)- Outstanding food and service and a great winelist. Book ahead if on a weekend. In the summer the outdoor terrace is a great option.

Pool- Good Service- a bit too busy with many families on the weekend although during the week it was quiet and a very relaxing place to visit- keep this in mind if planning when to come.

Room Service- Perfect service- a great breakfast menu and when they arrive and set up on the little outdoor terrace it makes for an excellent start to the day.

Concierge- We were looking for a good store to buy a small backpack as we were planning to climb to the top of Whistler and some more difficult trails at Blackcomb- instead they lent us one (they had a choice of many different models)- not a big deal but a great touch!

Fitness Centre- Good however given the good weather we went for runs near the Lost Lake golf course and recreation area which is just across the street.

Checkout- No errors in billing, fast, and pleasant.

Valet- Car was already waiting with all the bags loaded (this was managed by the person checking us out).

Return- Yes. I think this hotel does a great business in generating frequent return guests and certainly is worth a visit. The development of more and more year round activities at Whistler/Blackcomb also makes this a destination now even for non-skiers.

Spa- We didn't have a chance to use it but our colleagues did and loved it. I did take a look at the prices FYI and it is a bit more expensive than other nearby options although our colleagues said it was worth it.
Old Aug 28, 13, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokinos View Post
Iíve stayed at 20 different hotels, condos and B&Bs in Whistler and can easily say the Four Seasons is in its own class in this ski town.
I agree that the Four Seasons is the "best" option although the Fairmont on the Gold Level is pretty close and if you are a golfer may be better as Fairmont operates the golf course and as such there are packages/preferred tee times which may be of interest.
Old Aug 28, 13, 11:26 am
Original Poster

I will be returning to the FS Whistler this weekend for a short vacation and will report back.
Old Aug 29, 13, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will be returning to the FS Whistler this weekend for a short vacation and will report back.
Excellent! Given you started this thread >7 years ago it will be a nice update. I personally like the new menu/concept of "Sidecut" better than the previous 5280 (they still kept 5280 as the lounge and just updated the restaurant/concept)- particularly the dinners to share which include a bottle of wine are a very nice idea and I think quite OK value.
Old Aug 29, 13, 4:56 am

We stayed there the 2nd week of Dec last year. This is my favorite hotel anywhere. Price is extremely favorable and add in some FSPP benefits and it can't be beat. Skiers, the place is empty, you will feel like a king.

Yes it is not ski in/out but the ski concierge is unbeatable. Hot chocolate, cookies, take your boots off, storage, etc...

We don't take the same vacation twice, we're going back, same week.
Old Sep 9, 13, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I spent the Labour Day Long weekend here at FS Whistler for a much needed break and to celebrate my birthday. We took advantage of the FSPP 3rd night free promotion and ended up in a 2 BR Residence on this trip.

The Residences at the Four Seasons are in a whole different league in terms of fit and finish and are THE best accommodations in Whistler with hotel services attached. There are 37 Residences of which 20 are in the rental pool.

Our 2 BR unit had fantastic view towards Rainbow Mountain from double height floor to ceiling windows in the living/dining and kitchen area. A large furnished balcony was located off the dining area which also included a gas heat lamp for use during colder weather. The kitchen featured Sub Zero fridge, 4 burner Viking gas range and convection oven, a Miele In-wall coffee system (this was awesome!!!!), steam oven and dishwasher. Additionally, there was a toaster, traditional coffee maker, and blender.

The dining area had a large round table with seating for 6. The living room had a work nook, large gas fireplace, queen sofa bed and 2 arm chairs and a 50-55" flatscreen tv. Hardwood floors throughout the Residence with the exception of the 2nd bedroom which was carpeted.

The living/dining area occupies the centre of the Residence while the 2 BRs are on either side flanking the centre. The master bedroom is to the left as you enter the suite. Down a corridor are ample closet space plus a dedicated washer/dryer/mudroom. A door leads into the master suite (with a dedicated locked owner's locker), walk-in closet, master bath with double vanities, large deep soaking tub (larger and deeper than in the main hotel), separate WC, steam shower, and the best feature, heated floors. Like the PH Chicago, you can open wooden doors from the tub to see into the bedroom. The bedroom has a king bed, large flatscreen tv and another gas fireplace. There is also a juliet balcony off the master bedroom. There is no closet space in the bedroom due to the walk-in closet as you enter the master suite.

The second bedroom is a bit larger with king size bed, an arm chair and ottoman and lots of closet space. However, the bathroom is much smaller and only has a single vanity, toilet and stall shower but does have heated floors. The flooring in this second bedroom is carpet. Just off the entry to the suite is a guest bathroom which is identical to the 2nd bedroom bathroom (single vanity, toilet and stall shower).

Our unit also came with 2 parking stalls on a self park basis -- there is no additional charge for parking. Upon arrival, a bellman from the main resort will come to assist with luggage and park the car for you. There is a dedicated staff member at the Reception of the Residences until 6pm every day -- usually it is the Residences Manager.

Housekeeping comes through twice per day and the Residence guests have access to all the amenities of the main resort, including 24 hour in residence dining. Residence guests also have their own pool (there was a waiting list for sun loungers at the main pool but wide open at the Residence pool) with 2 hot tubs with his and hers changing rooms. There is also a very small but workable gym for residence guests as well.

Removing the accommodations from the picture this was one of our best stays yet. Service levels in SideCut at breakfast and dinner have improved dramatically with some new managers in place. 5280 Bar, apparently, is their next target as we did experience a service breakdown there (sat for 15 minutes at the bar with no staff member approaching us or speaking to us despite there being 3-4 staff members about and they were not busy!). At breakfast, the staff were proactive in addressing my gluten free requirement and had muffins and other goodies ready to serve to me. The Chef de Partie came out every morning to check up on us and even contacted Four Seasons Dallas for their gluten free cheese popover recipe so that I could enjoy it at dinner that night at SideCut. He even made us a not-on-the-menu Mexican breakfast which was absolutely delicious.

It was great to see the resort at 98% occupancy and that while busy the staff did not seem strained or with service breakdowns.

The Residences are very tranquil and serene -- we felt we were in a different world as we watched the hustle and bustle of the main entrance a mere 50-60 meters away.

Can't wait to return to the Resort -- but will have to work awfully hard to get back into the Residences! 2 BR residences start at $2100 per night and do include FSPP amenities.
Old Sep 9, 13, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a bellman from the main resort will come to assist with luggage and park the car for you

wide open at the Residence pool) with 2 hot tubs with his and hers changing rooms. There is also a very small but workable gym for residence guests as well.

Residences are very tranquil and serene -- we felt we were in a different world as we watched the hustle and bustle of the main entrance a mere 50-60 meters away
great details TRAVELSIG and luxury

Chef de Partie came out every morning to check up on us and even contacted Four Seasons Dallas for their gluten free cheese popover recipe so that I could enjoy it at dinner that night at SideCut. He even made us a not-on-the-menu Mexican breakfast which was absolutely delicious.
good to know

SideCut features remarkable local seafood as well...Edison's medicine for the ribeye (a great choice) and Lemon Buddha for the salmon. The Argentinian chimichurri sauce was great with the meat and the yuzu butter fantastic with the salmon. Both were cooked to perfection and the salmon was absolutely heavenly.
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
Sidecut (Restaurant)- Outstanding food
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
I personally like the new menu/concept of "Sidecut" better than the previous
http://www.fourseasons.com/whistler/residences/
http://www.fourseasons.com/whistler/residences/faqs/
Is your signature restaurant Sidecut available in my private Residence?
A: Yes, it is. We refer to it as Sidecut Without Walls and it exclusively offered in our Residence only.
a rare offering

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 9, 13 at 5:42 pm

Search this Thread