Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RitzCarlton-Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Smile RitzCarlton-Berlin

Well be staying at the Ritz Carlton (club Level) in Berlin soon. Does anyone have any information on the hotel, service, club level and shopping around the hotel. Is it easy to get around? Any othe information you feel is importmant. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Very nice, very new (2003?) hotel, and cheap for a R-C (as, indeed, are most Berlin hotels). The bath butler is the one thing I remember from my stay - they will come and create (for a chunky fee) one of numerous baths for you. The only one that appealed to me as a man was the one involving cigars!

You are in the middle of the redeveloped Potsdamer Platz, so every building near you has been built in the last 10 years. Marriott next door and the Grand Hyatt about 2 minutes away. Shopping centre directly opposite, but it is all very mainstream stuff, not luxury. Potsdamer Platz metro station is literally outside the door. Walkable to all of the main sights - Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate, Neue Nationale Gallerie (5 mins away) etc. A bit more of a trot to Museum Island but certainly walkable if its fine weather and the metro will get you there otherwise. Loads of cafes and restaurants in Postdamer Platz.

Last edited by Raffles; Feb 1, 2006 at 9:39 am
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by ronrick
Well be staying at the Ritz Carlton (club Level) in Berlin soon. Does anyone have any information on the hotel, service, club level and shopping around the hotel. Is it easy to get around? Any othe information you feel is importmant. Thanks for your help.
Ronrick,
Welcome to FT! I agree with all that Raffles wrote and will add the following...

Although the sample size is small (I only have 1 stay here), I do confidently recommend this hotel. It is solidly in the top 1/3 to top 1/2 of the luxury hotels I have stayed in. You'll be well taken care of. Though it sounds a bit strange, I'd say the hotel itself actually sparkles. It is quite new and it shows. I was in a Club Suite and it was quite nice. Very high quality furnishings and plenty of space. It had a nice, spacious bathroom with a large seperate shower, water closet, and large cornered oval tub.

The Club had only 3 presentation daily, but the quality of the offerings was very high and the service excellent.

The subway is directly outside the hotel, so you will have not trouble getting around on public transport. Taxis are also lined up outside at all hours.

Potsdamer Platz also has a certain sparkle to it. There is a very nice informal German restaurant that takes up a few floors inside the plaza. It's a great spot for a beer and traditional german fare. Have fun and thanks for reminding me of the good times I had there.

Last edited by DrivingRain; Feb 1, 2006 at 7:45 pm
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information

Just wanted to thank both of you, the information will be of help.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:22 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The hotel had to shut down in summer 2004, IIRC, due to a massive outbreak of Legionnaire's disease, likely coming from their HVAC systems. Glad to see that they have had no problems since.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Here's a professional hotel review in the current issue of Germany's hotel industry magazine "Top Hotel" (in German):

review part I

review part II

Verdict: An average hotel experience with some major weaknesses at the f&b department and overall service not up to RC standards...
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by ngfan
Here's a professional hotel review in the current issue of Germany's hotel industry magazine "Top Hotel" (in German):

review part I

review part II

Verdict: An average hotel experience with some major weaknesses at the f&b department and overall service not up to RC standards...
Are english translations available?
To reaffirm my thoughts here...
I find it interesting that they criticize the F&B here. I enjoyed it very much. The Club level food was very good and the bar had an extensive brandy menu and very good live entertainment. The rooms/suites were very far above average. Service in the Club...excellent. Front desk and doormen too. Concierge was a little snooty. Service for breakfast was very much sub-standard in the main b'fast restaurant. Overall, a solidly above average RC/FS/MO experience. Miles ahead of places like the Raffles Hamburg or MO Geneva or MO London or Ritz London...and just a bit behind other European hotels like the FS Provence (a very diff't kind of hotel). It's a great value to boot.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:04 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by ngfan

review part I

review part II

It confirms very much my own experience with the RC Berlin. The room price is cheap, but you get what you pay for. The former Four Seasons, now Regent has ever been and is still the best hotel in Berlin.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daysleeper
It confirms very much my own experience with the RC Berlin. The room price is cheap, but you get what you pay for. The former Four Seasons, now Regent has ever been and is still the best hotel in Berlin.
Agreed....
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:03 am
Suspended

If the rates are not skyrocket and you are happy with the location, let say in the EUR 230 range, stay one time at Hotel Adlon Kempinski.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ventimiglia
If the rates are not skyrocket and you are happy with the location, let say in the EUR 230 range, stay one time at Hotel Adlon Kempinski.
The location is perfect- but I found the service to be quite low at the Adlon. The other Kempinski has excellent service- but the building is quite old and the rooms need some attention.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
The location is perfect- but I found the service to be quite low at the Adlon.
Sad that you were not satisfied with their service. I received much more than I had expected.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ventimiglia
Sad that you were not satisfied with their service. I received much more than I had expected.
Interesting. What was so good about the service? I am not sad- Berlin is a city with a lot of good hotels and the Regent is better by far in respect to the Adlon- the view from the Adlon is quite cool however.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 6:02 am
Suspended

Interesting. What was so good about the service?
I booked on short notice a room and made reservation in the restaurant. They put me into a great room and offered my business partner a prime table. We had a great time prepared negotiations, but unfortunately someone spoiled wine on my clothes. It was clean up on short notice. To sum up: It was an excellent stay.
Berlin is a city with a lot of good hotels and the Regent is better by far in respect to the Adlon- the view from the Adlon is quite cool however.
Agree. There are reasons why international recognize surveys like Zagat vote for this property.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:25 pm

The RC is nice; but for the same location - I would rather stay at the Grand Hyatt - which really should be a Park Hyatt [in my opinion.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.