Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:01 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lb8001
Musken, you're the best! Thank you so much for all this info and for all the photos! I cannot wait to get there now. Did you happen to do any diving/snorkeling or anything at the spa?
Snorkelling was wonderful, saw huge turtles every time we went out on one of the two daily complimentary snorkelling trip. Lots of colorful fish as well, not as much as the Maldives, but the 2nd best I have seen.

Visited the spa three times, one pulo massage, one full treatment with steam, scrub, coconut bath and massage + one facial. All very good. Aman has a range of own chemical free products which I and my skin really liked. Also spa is really beautiful, at a very high point of the island with a beautiful view and wonderful breeze.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:55 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Absolutely awesome, Musken. We can't wait for the official trip report. Please make sure to comment on the activities that your little one enjoyed while there. I love how they made up the "bed" in the casita.

I need to mention that the view from casita 40 has dramatically changed since we were there. What was once completely wild and private (referencing our old pictures) is now full of rooftops in an almost trailer-park fashion. This would not appeal to us anymore.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:28 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka
Absolutely awesome, Musken. We can't wait for the official trip report. Please make sure to comment on the activities that your little one enjoyed while there. I love how they made up the "bed" in the casita.

I need to mention that the view from casita 40 has dramatically changed since we were there. What was once completely wild and private (referencing our old pictures) is now full of rooftops in an almost trailer-park fashion. This would not appeal to us anymore.
Thanks, Erika. To be honest, I did not really understand what this "casita 40-hype" was all about once I got up there, I really preferred the beach casitas (and our villa, of course), but understand much more now when you say the villas were not there before.

Also have not forgotten that you ask about kids and Amanpulo so here is the answer to that as well:

Our son is 8 years old.

Amanpulo is really great for kids. We did not meet a lot of kids (I think we saw two or three younger ones while we were there - most kids are during Christmans, Easter and Chinese New Years I heard), but they are really very kid friendly. Firstly the fantastic beach is great for kids to play, and amazingly, the sand does not get very hot even when the sun is shining on it all the time. They set up as many umbrellas and sun loungers that you need in front of your casita, and have beach toys available.

There is a kids club, focused on rather very young kids, located at the departure lounge at the island airport. Also there is a playground so well hidden that I never saw it, but my husband and son visited one day, and again this was for rather young kids. There are lots of nannies available, and - if requested - they can come to babysit or play with the kids in the villas or casitas as well. Not sure about costs.

Kids club has games and the main library also a number of kid friendly DVDs to watch in your casita or villa.

A very cute tradition at Amanpulo is that all kids get to plant their own tree; someone has already prepared a hole for it, so the kids just put it in and shuffle earth over it and water it and then there is a special wooden sign preparred with name of kid and date + of course cold towels to wash hands afterwards - it is Aman after all. Our son has already told me that we need to go back to see his tree some day, so great future marketing as well as fun!

One day, we asked them to prepare a treasure hunt for him, and he got a map of the island and his first hint on his bed at night one day, and had four of five different tasks to solve before he found his treasure the next day. This was not something they had done before, they prepared it all especially for him, but it might very well be something they do for more kids since it was great fun.

Also he got to make his own pizza, got "chef clothes" and a special Amanpulo junior chef sign (both to keep) and had fun making pizza at the picnic cove with the team there (a little before normal lunch time so no other guests were there).

He (and his parents) got to see turtlenesting at night and help releasing turtle babies into the sea one day. Wonderful and a real highlight.

He played tennis every day (they have kid size equipment), mostly with my husband, but there are also pros that could have given lessons (complimentary) if my husband would not have wanted to play himself.

He learnt to make fruit drinks himself, got to help behind bar at first and also at the excurisons to the raft bar. Great fun.

He went with us on excursions (snorkelling (they have kids size equipment) boat excursions to sand bar, to the raft bar and fishing) and loved it as the staff would always take extra good care of him.

But most importantly: When we moved over to the villa, he and the butler really become playing friends. Our son went to the butler kitchen as often as he could, helped cooking with the villa chef (especially fun cooking his own fish after fishing excursions), he got to visit main kitchen to get stuff for the villa, got to prepare many more fruit drinks or played football or other things with the butler.

Some of these activities were Amanpulo initiatives, others were our own ideas that they organised for us or things happening spontanously just because our son was open for it and the staff is so great (and would be briefed every day about the things he had done, what he enjoyed etc. so that they would know).

All in all the favourite holidays also for our son.

Oh, and the bed thing: They set up the bed as shown on the picture, but actually asked us when we were shown our casita if they should rather move it to the bathroom (did they read here that we always like that or are they just so much better understanding what we want before we even say so???) so we did that and there was loads of space still in the bathroom, so no problem. Also they have kids size slippers and bathrobes automatically in the villa. And kids size mountain bikes, even saw one with those supporting wheels.

In restaurants or for in villa dining there is kids menu with very reasonable prices. And I saw high chairs for those in need of such.

Oh, yes: Also welcome drink and snacks for my son + goodbye gifts.

(and if I go on like this answering questions, I might just drop writing the real trip report ;-)

Last edited by Musken; Mar 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Musken
(and if I go on like this answering questions, I might just drop writing the real trip report ;-)
as someone planning a trip, ill wait for the report

view from villa towards beach
view from beach and sea towards villa
thanks so much ^^

villas...outside shower. The villas at the casita side of beach has beach chairs on the beach...possible to take all meals in the villa and never ever leave if you prefer. The chef can cook whatever you like to have and the food really good and service wonderful.

picture of the largest monitor lizard
all kids get to plant their own tree; someone has already prepared a hole for it, so the kids just put it in and shuffle earth over it and water it and then there is a special wooden sign preparred with name of kid and date + of course cold towels to wash hands afterwards - it is Aman after all. Our son has already told me that we need to go back to see his tree some day, so great future marketing as well as fun!

we asked them to prepare a treasure hunt for him, and he got a map of the island and his first hint on his bed at night one day, and had four of five different tasks to solve before he found his treasure the next day. This was not something they had done before, they prepared it all especially for him, but it might very well be something they do for more kids since it was great fun.

he and the butler really become playing friends. Our son went to the butler kitchen as often as he could, helped cooking with the villa chef (especially fun cooking his own fish after fishing excursions), he got to visit main kitchen to get stuff for the villa, got to prepare many more fruit drinks or played football or other things with the butler.

our own ideas that they organised for us or things happening spontanously just because our son was open for it and the staff is so great (and would be briefed every day about the things he had done, what he enjoyed etc. so that they would know
aman

did they read here that we always like that or are they just so much better understanding what we want before we even say so???
[aman] reads forum, but not sure how closely.. im sure they keep track of your past aman preferences. and sometimes staff may move from FS/etc to aman.

boat excursions to sand bar, to the raft bar

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:27 pm

Thank you so much for all the information and the pictures!^
Privacy, large pool in the villa, turtles, it seems to be the perfect place!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:57 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thanks so much, Musken. We are delighted to hear this and truly appreciate all the detail you've provided!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
[Romance at Amanpulo includes three meals a day.
Are non-alcoholic beverages also included with the full board?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at amanpulo (per person per night) >

- fitness break
http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive....aspx?id=15221
from $35 (beach single 5 nt) > $168 (treetop 3 nt, beach double 3 nt)

- spa break
http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive....aspx?id=14776
from $136 (treetop 5 nt, beach double 5 nt) > $157 (beach single 3 nt)

* alignment and movement retreat june 7 > 10
http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive...&LangType=1033
from $75 (beach single) > $156 (treetop double)
(does NOT say "excluding beverages and live seafood")

- island escape $25 or $75

* romance at amanpulo $248
(includes lunch, does NOT say "excluding beverages and live seafood")

previously http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13903856-post131.html

Amanjunkie incl villas and romance package http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ml#post9995101
ridefar incl romance package and special order http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post17675998
Ericka also did romance package

Originally Posted by JWo
I did the romance package in late January...beverages (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) were excluded...one order of live seafood per person, per stay

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Musken/Ericka, thank you for the comments on 40 and the change in view. That may change my choice - although it sounds like there's privacy wherever I stay. Truly appreciate all the time you're taking to respond to questions - I feel very fortunate that I got all this info prior to going there myself
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I was recently in Amanpulo. Great report and pics from Musken.... very accurate.

View from 40 is as reported a little blemished with the rooftops of the new villas.

Stayed in a beach casita and was totally happy. It had a corridor cut through the trees so you could see the ocean from the terrace and day beds.

All of the casitas have exactly the same design.

The villas are basically a cluster of the same casitas arranged around a pool with a separate living/dining room.

I would not stay at the new 4 bedroom casitas on the windward side. Beach is not as nice over there.

Next visit (May?) I'll probably try one of the 1 or 2 bedroom vilas on the leeward (west side) where Musken stayed. They seem really nice.

The diving is really good there and they have a great diving program. If you haven't tried it, you should. Very easy to get certified. Turtles as reported are amazing. Probably five feet in length and you can swim right up to the big ones.

Service and staff are really nice. Might be the nicest Aman I've been too. One of the prettiest beaches I have ever seen. Great sunsets.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:32 pm
JWo

Programs: MPC DM / UA *A Gold / Hyatt Glob / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
at amanpulo (per person per night) >

- fitness break
http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive....aspx?id=15221
from $35 (beach single 5 nt) > $168 (treetop 3 nt, beach double 3 nt)

- spa break
http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive....aspx?id=14776
from $136 (treetop 5 nt, beach double 5 nt) > $157pp (beach single 3 nt)

* alignment and movement retreat june 7 > 10
http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive...&LangType=1033
from $75 (beach single) > $156 (treetop double)
(does NOT say "excluding beverages and live seafood")

- island escape $25 or $75

* romance at amanpulo $248
(includes lunch, does NOT say "excluding beverages and live seafood")

previously http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13903856-post131.html

Amanjunkie incl villas and romance package http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ml#post9995101
ridefar incl romance package and special order http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post17675998
Ericka also did romance package

I did the romance package in late January and can confirm that there are certain restrictions to the dining plan. First, all beverages (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) were excluded. Further, we were only allowed one order of live seafood per person, per stay. However, there was plenty of selection and I do not believe that this detracted too much from the experience.

By the way, we were at Casita 21 which was a perfect in terms of privacy and proximity to the clubhouse, beach house and picnic grove. We were also given the option to view Casita 40 and decide whether we wanted to stay there for a couple nights but decided against it, despite the views, as we enjoyed the privacy of our own beachfront and beach chairs.

Lastly, I emailed the team last week and learned that Harish has since moved to Greece to help with Amanheli. Further, Steve, the dive master, will shortly be moving to Amanwana. Both of them took very good care of us during our stay at Amanpulo and will be missed.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by JWo
I did the romance package in late January and can confirm that there are certain restrictions to the dining plan. First, all beverages (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) were excluded. Further, we were only allowed one order of live seafood per person, per stay. However, there was plenty of selection and I do not believe that this detracted too much from the experience.

By the way, we were at Casita 21 which was a perfect in terms of privacy and proximity to the clubhouse, beach house and picnic grove. We were also given the option to view Casita 40 and decide whether we wanted to stay there for a couple nights but decided against it, despite the views, as we enjoyed the privacy of our own beachfront and beach chairs.

Lastly, I emailed the team last week and learned that Harish has since moved to Greece to help with Amanheli. Further, Steve, the dive master, will shortly be moving to Amanwana. Both of them took very good care of us during our stay at Amanpulo and will be missed.
+1 on Steve.... but Jorge does a great job as well. Kudos to the tennis pros as well... Dandy, Raoul and Cyril are great guys and really know their stuff.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:56 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thanks for all the ' reports '.
Been trying to fit in Amanpulo ( before the weather changes ), having been to 3 Amans already this year with Amanpulo almost being 4.
Anyone know who're coming to join the team now that Harish & Steve are moving?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks for all the ' reports '.
Been trying to fit in Amanpulo ( before the weather changes ), having been to 3 Amans already this year with Amanpulo almost being 4.
Anyone know who're coming to join the team now that Harish & Steve are moving?
For diving, Earl (don't know his last name) is coming in. I think he was working in Boracay before. I met him. Seems like a nice guy. From CA originally.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:25 am

Thank you for sharing those photos Musken, they're breathtaking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.