Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Mickidon

Separately, what is this Aman S.S. report referenced upstream?
AmanSS ? Aman Sveti Stefan
Report / TR ?

https://www.aman.com/resorts/aman-sveti-stefan
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Makes me a little less excited for our trip in May, but I would also add that if I started getting poor service like that (reserved tables, broken club car, etc.) you better believe that management would hear about it very quickly and I would expect things to turn around sharply from there. While I feel sorry for your family members on what should have been a flawless honeymoon, it simply doesn't pay to not speak up! I'm still learning that myself but can't stand that feeling of post-trip disappointment where it's too late to do anything.
For a honeymoon as well, I would definitely need to have a word with management with those service lapses. Honeymoons generally only happen once in a lifetime.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:31 am

A close family member just returned from Amanpulo, at my behest, for a honeymoon. I have been a huge cheerleader for this property and recommended it to many. Unfortunately, some of the comments on service lapses suggest that the negative reviews might be picking up a real trend. First let me say that they loved the resort and, while the service had many fails, it did not detract from the overall experience. They compared it most unfavorably to stellar service at Amansara. I sense that expectations were part of the problem, with the "guest assistant" promising the moon and literally disappearing for the entire rest of the stay. As well, there seemed to be a pecking order to seating at breakfast, with the best tables "reserved" yet empty. (They had a beach casita) Their cart broke down and they had to ask twice for a replacement. Same for a bicycle and yoga mat. Their rate included a sunset drink on the floating island, but it wasn't available for their 6 nights, so they were offered breakfast there. Day of, they were told it wasn't allowed but they did push back successfully on that one. Massages were added to the bill that were part of the package as well.

To me, this list is egregious but, as a laid back, honeymooning couple, they chose not to complain and did, truly, have a wonderful time despite all of this. I wonder if the fact that they are on the younger end (30s) led the hotel to not value them highly enough? Or are they understaffed? Or not properly trained? Our stay was a few years ago and, while I don't remember the service being amazing, it was plenty good enough that I recommend this place to pretty much everyone. I plan to get off the Amanpulo soapbox now and will only recommend this with many caveats. The rooms are not up to the level of many similar properties, so the service has to do some of the heavy lifting.
That's all very un Aman you know. Never had a Pulo experience like this, although while lapses can occur... they were usually dealt with in generous fashion, without issues or even asking. The problem here is that those were a bit too many (for my taste at least). What was occupancy like?

New Aman has more standards, fine ... but then issues mentioned here are exactly about standards, so I suggest to hold them to their own point blank.

Guest assistants at Pulo were always well intentioned, though could be hit and miss. Pick your favorite. I never saw tables reserved at Pulo, at least not visibly so... and usually there was no need. It was 'your' resort, pick the table you want, with occupancy usually not too high there were only good tables. Nothing off limits for sure. Re breakfast not 'allowed' ... oh my. By the sound of it all, this comes from the top. What is forum's consensus on Audeline? Certainly most things flying at big number hotels in California don't bode too well at an Aman. "Everyone is a VIP" - AZ.

Though have to say never quite understood criticism of rooms and hardware. Always felt comfortable, even in older generation bathrooms. Architecture is local, not everyone is fan of individual architecture. Culture?
FlyerEC and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
That's all very un Aman you know. Never had a Pulo experience like this, although while lapses can occur... they were usually dealt with in generous fashion, without issues or even asking. The problem here is that those were a bit too many (for my taste at least). What was occupancy like?

New Aman has more standards, fine ... but then issues mentioned here are exactly about standards, so I suggest to hold them to their own point blank.

Guest assistants at Pulo were always well intentioned, though could be hit and miss. Pick your favorite. I never saw tables reserved at Pulo, at least not visibly so... and usually there was no need. It was 'your' resort, pick the table you want, with occupancy usually not too high there were only good tables. Nothing off limits for sure. Re breakfast not 'allowed' ... oh my. By the sound of it all, this comes from the top. What is forum's consensus on Audeline? Certainly most things flying at big number hotels in California don't bode too well at an Aman. "Everyone is a VIP" - AZ.

Though have to say never quite understood criticism of rooms and hardware. Always felt comfortable, even in older generation bathrooms. Architecture is local, not everyone is fan of individual architecture. Culture?
I definitely think what constitutes VIP has another definition under Mr. Doronin.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:44 am

Occupancy was 70%. During our personal visit, it was even lower. In terms of issues not being addressed, the truth is that this couple did not choose to complain - of course this would have helped but one would expect that someone at the front desk would notice that they had to call TWICE for a new cart, bicycles and a second yoga mat. The whole private sun deck experience really rankled - why offer something if it is not available for 6 nights! The hierarchy of tables that was felt was something I have never
noticed at an Aman. And this young man has been to a laundry list of highest end resorts (Velaa last year, for example), so he does
know what things should feel like and is not imagining this.

Another couple, somewhat high profile, will be visiting at festive, and I am really concerned, since they chose it at my suggestion. I have already notified their TA about this
experience and will probably write to the property directly to ask that this couple be looked after at an above and beyond level to try to repay this sets of snafus.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:37 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I enjoy working with Audeline.

For hard product, I think it really depends. If you're paying ~USD 1,100/night++ on a treetop in low season (or even USD 1,400/night++ for a treetop casita) or a hillside casita with upgrades to the beach casita, or even booking the beach casita in low season, then that's great.

If you're paying USD 2,200/night++ for a beach casita in high season, or worse, close to USD 3,000/night++ for a one-bedroom villa, then you're looking at Cheval Blanc Randheli rates.
scented likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:39 am

Another couple, somewhat high profile, will be visiting at festive, and I am really concerned, since they chose it at my suggestion. I have already notified their TA about this
experience and will probably write to the property directly to ask that this couple be looked after at an above and beyond level to try to repay this sets of snafus.
Good call and please message GM or above directly, really no point emailing anyone else. Considering you gave your word with the recommendation, which quite means something.

Pity about Pulo, certainly the last resort I would expect to be managed in such a fashion.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:42 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
The whole private sun deck experience really rankled - why offer something if it is not available for 6 nights!
The rest of it doesn't sound great. But on the point of the private sun deck...I assume you mean the Kawayan Bar?

Did they book this in advance? Were they only looking for a sunset time slot or any time?
You do need to book this in advance if you want a very specific time slot. In low season or on certain dates, it's not an issue.
But if you're looking for a short few nights trip and only looking for a 4:00-6:00 time slot, then chances are it may already have been booked out months prior to arrival.

You ideally need to let Amanpulo (or your agent) know of this ASAP when you make the hotel booking that you also want to book this experience out at a certain time on a certain date etc.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

similar properties
any similar density private islands (rooms per acre) ?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:19 am

Argh! Upsetting to read all this with our honeymoon stay coming up, but just crossing our fingers that everything will live up to expectations. We already pre-booked the Kawayan Bar for one night at sunset and had them reserve spa time for us to make sure we get the times we want (two months in advance). We are booked in a Hillside Casita and I would be pissed - and say something about it - if we were treated as second-class citizens like what seemed to happen in the breakfast table issue above. I already tried asking nicely for an upgrade in our e-mail correspondence but was unfortunately shot down (we aren't banking on it and are perfectly happy without).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
Argh! Upsetting to read all this with our honeymoon stay coming up, but just crossing our fingers that everything will live up to expectations. We already pre-booked the Kawayan Bar for one night at sunset and had them reserve spa time for us to make sure we get the times we want (two months in advance). We are booked in a Hillside Casita and I would be pissed - and say something about it - if we were treated as second-class citizens like what seemed to happen in the breakfast table issue above. I already tried asking nicely for an upgrade in our e-mail correspondence but was unfortunately shot down (we aren't banking on it and are perfectly happy without).
I find Amans are more likely to upgrade upon arrival. You may see that desired room yet!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
My suggestion is you use the experience I shared to remind them, in advance, that you expect to be treated well, particularly as it is your honeymoon and once in a lifetime (fingers crossed). The TA wrote to the manager and got a "gosh so sorry but I can't turn back time" kind of response. I have subsequently written to her directly as I did pay for this honeymoon and have been a huge cheerleader for the property. I'll also give you the obvious advice to feel free to speak up at the time - if the "personal assistant" had done his job, much of this might have been prevented. Still, there was definitely a tinge of you aren't as important as the folks for whom we are saving tables and that is flat out poor hospitality. We have friends going, at our recommendation, over festive and I worry that standards might even be lower with high occupancy. This couple took one for the team and I'm certain they will have a better experience.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
The rest of it doesn't sound great. But on the point of the private sun deck...I assume you mean the Kawayan Bar?

Did they book this in advance? Were they only looking for a sunset time slot or any time?
You do need to book this in advance if you want a very specific time slot. In low season or on certain dates, it's not an issue.
But if you're looking for a short few nights trip and only looking for a 4:00-6:00 time slot, then chances are it may already have been booked out months prior to arrival.

You ideally need to let Amanpulo (or your agent) know of this ASAP when you make the hotel booking that you also want to book this experience out at a certain time on a certain date etc.
The TA asked and was told that nothing needed to be booked in advance. Inaccurate advice, I now know! Upon arrival, they were told the only way to do this experience
was at breakfast, only to arrive on said day to be told that it was NOT allowed. Certainly, someone should have gotten that right and apologized for not having other options for them, rather than having the breakfast reservation not made properly, forcing push back on the part of the guests. I understand scarcity of resources, but if an alternative is
booked, how on earth is no one aware of it? It was unnecessarily uncomfortable and one in a series of similar service glitches.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:51 pm

My suggestion is you use the experience I shared to remind them, in advance, that you expect to be treated well, particularly as it is your honeymoon and once in a lifetime (fingers crossed). The TA wrote to the manager and got a "gosh so sorry but I can't turn back time" kind of response. I have subsequently written to her directly as I did pay for this honeymoon and have been a huge cheerleader for the property. I'll also give you the obvious advice to feel free to speak up at the time - if the "personal assistant" had done his job, much of this might have been prevented. Still, there was definitely a tinge of you aren't as important as the folks for whom we are saving tables and that is flat out poor hospitality. We have friends going, at our recommendation, over festive and I worry that standards might even be lower with high occupancy. This couple took one for the team and I'm certain they will have a better experience.
This sounds awful, especially for Pulo. So sorry this happened to you.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
The TA asked and was told that nothing needed to be booked in advance. Inaccurate advice, I now know! Upon arrival, they were told the only way to do this experience
was at breakfast, only to arrive on said day to be told that it was NOT allowed. Certainly, someone should have gotten that right and apologized for not having other options for them, rather than having the breakfast reservation not made properly, forcing push back on the part of the guests. I understand scarcity of resources, but if an alternative is
booked, how on earth is no one aware of it? It was unnecessarily uncomfortable and one in a series of similar service glitches.
This sounds awful, especially for Pulo. So sorry this happened to you.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I enjoy working with Audeline.

For hard product, I think it really depends. If you're paying ~USD 1,100/night++ on a treetop in low season (or even USD 1,400/night++ for a treetop casita) or a hillside casita with upgrades to the beach casita, or even booking the beach casita in low season, then that's great.

If you're paying USD 2,200/night++ for a beach casita in high season, or worse, close to USD 3,000/night++ for a one-bedroom villa, then you're looking at Cheval Blanc Randheli rates.
While it is good that you , chinmoylad , enjoy working with Audeline W , it seems that for many others the follow through isn’t up to Aman standards that AMANjunkies are accustomed to .
A main reason why a return stay has not happened for us since Tapa , Jane & some long serving team members left and though other staff have been hoping to see us .
We would love to return and have been hesitant & hearing reports , also reading these on FT , does not inspire confidence either . So January ‘ 19 likely will not happen even though we were hoping to have another “ wow “ stay with a “ local “ but now away friend who insists Pulo is not that great but somewhere else is better - perhaps right after all .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.