Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:44 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Braswch
So I see there is the Lagoon Villa and then the Palawan Villa. Do you know the differences in locations for these two?
Palawan villas are on the side with the beach casitas.

Lagoon are on the flip side.

For the high season (i.e. February 2019) the Palawan villas are more expensive and it's also the nicer side of the island. This swaps during low season, when the prices are more equal as well I believe.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
If we have a 11pm flight out of Manila and we leave Amanpulo at 2pm, get into manila at 3pm. What's best to do? Does AmanPulo transfer us back to the terminal? Should we hang out at the Amanpulo terminal for a while? It seems lounges in Manila are pretty meh. It's either that or stay a night in manila and take a noon flight out the next day.

Well I decided to stay a night in Manila. The other option was a 4 hour redeye. Too short to get good sleep.

Last edited by Braswch; Oct 5, 2018 at 8:47 pm Reason: update my plan
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
If we have a 11pm flight out of Manila and we leave Amanpulo at 2pm, get into manila at 3pm. What's best to do? Does AmanPulo transfer us back to the terminal? Should we hang out at the Amanpulo terminal for a while? It seems lounges in Manila are pretty meh. It's either that or stay a night in manila and take a noon flight out the next day.

Well I decided to stay a night in Manila. The other option was a 4 hour redeye. Too short to get good sleep.
Aman will transport you back to the airport via their car (and pick you up as well if coming in off an international flight).

You leave Amanpulo at 2:30pm, usually land at the terminal around 3:40. Alert Amanpulo of the situation (11pm flight) - are there any earlier flights AT ALL? If so, ask them to keep an alert out for putting you on that if space available, upon arriving at the lounge. Amanpulo's lounge is okay, but not for THAT period of time. Manila's lounges aren't great.

As a similar situation, I usually have guests book the 8:20pm CX flight out of Manila to Hong Kong, with the 2:30 out of Amanpulo. Upon arriving, Amanpulo can coordinate with CX to have you put on an earlier flight, if available. There's an earlier flight at 5:$5pm but it can be a tight connection, especially if there's any delay whatsoever.

Is the other flight at noon exact, or around 12:45 etc? An alternative is to stay the extra night in Amanpulo, and take the 09:30am out of Amanpulo but again might be tight with a 12:45 if any delays with Aman's flight.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone know re 2nd 1BR ?

seems cessna caravan (etc) would work , anyone heard re charters ?
(edit: or maybe not based on weight? cant recall if ive looked this up)
could try to line up charter so that it was used by several groups
A in
B out
C in
A out
to reduce B / C layover , but not splitting cost equally

pulo $4K RT ($2K OW) for 8 adults isnt high , but isnt cheap

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 6, 2018 at 7:39 pm
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:31 pm

If you book a villa with the Island Escape rate (includes dinner), I assume you can have dinner in your Villa with that without an extra charge? That's what the Chef is for I assume?

Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:09 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
If you book a villa with the Island Escape rate (includes dinner), I assume you can have dinner in your Villa with that without an extra charge? That's what the Chef is for I assume?
Yes, you can! They don't advertise it but I've had clients book villas and took just about all meals in villa.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:52 am

Wiki

You'd think someone would have created a wiki for this thread. I'm not sure if that's something I have the ability to start? Sure would be helpful for others.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:54 am

Does anyone have good contacts at Amanpulo. The GM is Audeline Witjaksono, correct?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:58 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Does anyone have good contacts at Amanpulo. The GM is Audeline Witjaksono, correct?
Yes, she is the GM and very good. She'll be more than happy to help you.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Can either book with included dinner each night (Island Escape) or included air transfers (worth $1,200 with tax/service) at the same price. Four nights. If we aren't huge eaters, I have to imagine that the included transfers is the way to go, right? $1,200 / 4 = $300 per dinner breakeven. At US restaurants we typically order 2 appetizers and 1 entree and 1 dessert, or some similar variation.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:04 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Can either book with included dinner each night (Island Escape) or included air transfers (worth $1,200 with tax/service) at the same price. Four nights. If we aren't huge eaters, I have to imagine that the included transfers is the way to go, right? $1,200 / 4 = $300 per dinner breakeven. At US restaurants we typically order 2 appetizers and 1 entree and 1 dessert, or some similar variation.
+1....My wife and I never eat much (lack of appetite) when visiting warm/tropical locations and we took a similar approach at Pulo 2 years ago. We were happy with it
callmedtop likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:00 pm

You're better off with the flights included rate in that case for sure with the 4 night minimum.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:53 pm

A close family member just returned from Amanpulo, at my behest, for a honeymoon. I have been a huge cheerleader for this property and recommended it to many. Unfortunately, some of the comments on service lapses suggest that the negative reviews might be picking up a real trend. First let me say that they loved the resort and, while the service had many fails, it did not detract from the overall experience. They compared it most unfavorably to stellar service at Amansara. I sense that expectations were part of the problem, with the "guest assistant" promising the moon and literally disappearing for the entire rest of the stay. As well, there seemed to be a pecking order to seating at breakfast, with the best tables "reserved" yet empty. (They had a beach casita) Their cart broke down and they had to ask twice for a replacement. Same for a bicycle and yoga mat. Their rate included a sunset drink on the floating island, but it wasn't available for their 6 nights, so they were offered breakfast there. Day of, they were told it wasn't allowed but they did push back successfully on that one. Massages were added to the bill that were part of the package as well.

To me, this list is egregious but, as a laid back, honeymooning couple, they chose not to complain and did, truly, have a wonderful time despite all of this. I wonder if the fact that they are on the younger end (30s) led the hotel to not value them highly enough? Or are they understaffed? Or not properly trained? Our stay was a few years ago and, while I don't remember the service being amazing, it was plenty good enough that I recommend this place to pretty much everyone. I plan to get off the Amanpulo soapbox now and will only recommend this with many caveats. The rooms are not up to the level of many similar properties, so the service has to do some of the heavy lifting.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Makes me a little less excited for our trip in May, but I would also add that if I started getting poor service like that (reserved tables, broken club car, etc.) you better believe that management would hear about it very quickly and I would expect things to turn around sharply from there. While I feel sorry for your family members on what should have been a flawless honeymoon, it simply doesn't pay to not speak up! I'm still learning that myself but can't stand that feeling of post-trip disappointment where it's too late to do anything.
FlyerEC and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:47 pm

Makes me a little less excited for our trip in May, but I would also add that if I started getting poor service like that (reserved tables, broken club car, etc.) you better believe that management would hear about it very quickly and I would expect things to turn around sharply from there. While I feel sorry for your family members on what should have been a flawless honeymoon, it simply doesn't pay to not speak up! I'm still learning that myself but can't stand that feeling of post-trip disappointment where it's too late to do anything.
I agree, but people have different styles and theirs seems to be "go with the flow." The post-trip disappointment is mine, not theirs, and I wasn't even there!

Separately, what is this Aman S.S. report referenced upstream?
1readyset2go likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.