Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I've never been so please enlighten me and bring me into the light...

Fdw
Noted! Photos galore coming up.

Originally Posted by Ericka
MacMyDay, how did you get from Phuket to Amanpulo? Did you find it an easy trip?
Easy? Hell, no, but I'm used to the hassle of traveling between SE Asia countries by now. I realised yesterday that I'd been in Singapore Changi International 9 times in the last 12 months and that's only covering 2 holidays. We did HKT > SIN, stayed the night, SIN > MNL on the earliest flight arriving into MNL at 13:00, meaning we had to wait nearly 3 hours in the Amanpulo airport lounge until the 16:00 flight. The lounge only have snacks and as I slept the entire flight I was starving, so they ordered me takeaway. How very uncouth of me.

Last time we came to Amanpulo it was just the two of us on the sea plane, whereas this time it only had a few empty seats.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:53 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I know it's almost compulsory for everyone on these forums to have been to Amanpulo...
We are so ashamed to not have made it yet. We hope you'll still consider us your friends.

I'm waiting to see what healthy glow you manage to get on that English skin! Have fun!

Seriously, I'll be very curious to hear what you think. As much as I'd like to see what all the fuss is about, I'm not convinced that I won't be horribly bored here, what with no really great diving nearby.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 20, 2016 at 11:46 pm
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:48 pm

Our first trip to Amanpulo was in 1995, the year the hotel opened. We stayed 10 days, I think. For several months before that we were receiving weekly postcards from Amanresorts with a photograph of a beach and the simple message, 'This beach is waiting for you.' No clue as to where it was. It was a very clever teaser. So when all was revealed we booked and went and thought it was the best beach resort in the world. Still do, I think.

The first trip we combined it simply with Honkers. Then another trip we combined it with Palau and Honkers. You flew from Manila to Koror. Staying in Manila was fun, at the legendary Manila Hotel. On another trip we combined it with Rayavadee which was so disappointing after Amanpulo we called Amanpuri and they came with a car and rescued us.

We haven't been to Amanpulo for about six years now - not since we discovered the South Pacific and started expedition cruising - but we always think of going back. Macmyday is getting us all nostalgic for it.

One of the things I particularly like about Amanpulo is that it's a private island with a lot of space, unlike so many of those Maldives resorts. And it hasn't built any of those overwater bungalow horrors which wreck at the landscape and destroy the environment.

Last edited by Pausanias; Dec 20, 2016 at 11:40 pm
Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Probably the most relaxing and best two vacations of my life were at Pulo. Well, Puri was great too but for other reasons. The Pulo beaches can't compare. Despite lackluster food and service, the villas and really the setting are what define it. Can't wait to go back but am hoping to see some improvements as well as have a few experiences in the Maldives first.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
One of the things I particularly like about Amanpulo is that it's a private island with a lot of space, unlike so many of those Maldives resorts.
I agree. It's what I liked about North Island and Laucala as well, as there is actual terrain and plenty of places to visit. I still like the Maldives, but I'd rather go back to the Seychelles, especially for taking photographs.

Some brief thoughts so far:
  • I've kept in my mind for the last 2 years that the beach at Amanpulo is the softest sand I've ever experienced, but coming back I do think North Island beats it. Amanpulo has a more beautiful looking beach due to the colour of the water, but North Island's is more private (only 11 villas) and better sand, although I'm aware that will depend on what time of year you go.
  • We have 2 butlers, as one is a trainee and only started 2 weeks ago. Another member of staff at the Beach Club had only just started as well. I know that resorts need to hire more people during peak, but I'd have thought they would have started longer ago. A bit of patience and all is fine, but still surprising.
  • It does mean we have a butler everywhere, taking care of everything. We have yet to even use the golf buggy, as the butler was waiting to take us to the Beach Club for breakfast (we could have had it in our villa, but prefer the views down there) and then waited for us to finish to take us back.
  • The villa comes with a chef, but so far I've not found any real use for him, as the food from the main resort is so good. It has improved dramatically since my last visit 2 years ago.
  • The villa really is a significant upgrade on a casita. There is nothing wrong with the casita, but the villa feels that extra bit special, with a lot of outdoor and indoor space. It is also at the end of the beach, so feels a lot more private.
  • The turtle is still around and just as friendly as ever.

North Island beach

Amanpulo beach

1 bedroom villa pool

Private sun loungers for the villa
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:18 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Wow you definitely got the nicer one-bedroom villas! The one I saw, it was nice but nothing spectacular that I would particularly recommend clients go out of the way for (and pay the premium up from beach casita).

Absolutely agree about the space - the Maldives islands are tiny. And it's GREAT to be somewhere without overwater villas.

Interesting about the sand; I do hear it really depends when you go (due to winds etc), but a few people I know who've been (and done the other places) went around January-March and said it was the finest they've seen.

On the same note, has anyone done Mnemba Island? How does it compare to North Island/Amanpulo?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:30 am

MacMyDay, How "hovering" is the butler? On our first visit, we wanted the space of a villa
but opted for the beach casita (which we loved) because we were uncomfortable with the butler concept on this type of trip. We had to call them off at Nam Hai and Rajvilas because they were so attentive and needing to plan that it became an irritant. Now we are considering another trip to Pulo and doing the decision tree again.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Mickidon
MacMyDay, How "hovering" is the butler? . . . we were uncomfortable with the butler concept on this type of trip.
We Brits tend to take our butlers with us and they stay in the casitas.

A nice wide shot of the main pool would be nice sometime, Macmyday. I'd like to see how the surrounding vegetation has grown up. They had just finished planting the little shrubs on our first visit so the pool then enjoyed amazing views as well as some spirited breezes!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Wow you definitely got the nicer one-bedroom villas! The one I saw, it was nice but nothing spectacular that I would particularly recommend clients go out of the way for (and pay the premium up from beach casita).
It's a 2 bedroom, but one of the bedrooms is locked. It was sold as a 1 bedroom though, so perhaps worth presenting to your clients as an option in future.

Interesting about the sand; I do hear it really depends when you go (due to winds etc), but a few people I know who've been (and done the other places) went around January-March and said it was the finest they've seen.
Our last visit was the exact same time of year. It's still very soft, but North was that bit better. El Nino does keep getting thrown around as the reason for anything not being perfect this year, so let's just include it here, just to be safe.

On the same note, has anyone done Mnemba Island? How does it compare to North Island/Amanpulo?
No, but it is actually on my list.

Originally Posted by Mickidon
MacMyDay, How "hovering" is the butler?
Not been an issue at all so far, although I've never found it an issue at any resort. Along with Fregate, it's probably the most hands off I've butler service I've experienced. Whether that is down to our unique situation of 2 butlers I'm unsure, but it certainly hasn't caused an overload of attention. I don't feel the need for a butler to do much for me, but prefer it as it's only 1 person that you have to deal with to take care of anything. I do want to feel value for money though, so may phone the butler at 3am, to ask him to urgently wake the chef up, as I need a glass of water. Only a chef can prepare my drinks.

Originally Posted by Pausanias
A nice wide shot of the main pool would be nice sometime, Macmyday. I'd like to see how the surrounding vegetation has grown up. They had just finished planting the little shrubs on our first visit so the pool then enjoyed amazing views as well as some spirited breezes!
I will do that for you, but for now I actually took one earlier at night and will continue to update this with photos as I go along:
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:51 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Thanks macmyday for all the info. We had considered visiting last year and a 1 bedroom villa (ended up at Amanzoe instead). The whole personal chef thing was a strange concept for me. Have you used it all? How were the prices?

fdw
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:58 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I hear Mnemba has no air con. But it does have some of the best diving in Africa.

How has the air con been, MacMyDay? I know you don't use it, but have you heard from any others how cold the villas/casitas can be with the air con cranked?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:42 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I hear Mnemba has no air con. But it does have some of the best diving in Africa.

How has the air con been, MacMyDay? I know you don't use it, but have you heard from any others how cold the villas/casitas can be with the air con cranked?
I believe you will also need to be on anti-malarials for Mnemba, too.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Thanks macmyday for all the info. We had considered visiting last year and a 1 bedroom villa (ended up at Amanzoe instead). The whole personal chef thing was a strange concept for me. Have you used it all? How were the prices?
Iniala and North Island don't have personal chefs, but have chefs come visit you every day to ask exactly what you want and make it for you. It works very well. Fregate pretends to do the same, but really doesn't. Amanpulo gives you your own chef, but I've yet to feel it achieves anything. They need at least 2 hours to prepare anything, which makes it impossible for me, as I still have the mentality of a baby when it comes to eating: if I'm hungry, I'm hungry right there and then, but otherwise have no ability to think about food. I also cry a lot. The only benefit it seems to give is that there is an in villa dining menu that is different to the normal private dining menu. This is day #3 at Amanpulo and my only use of the chef is a dessert that I'll have tonight, which I had to order yesterday.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
If you mentioned you were visiting Amanpulo under the "Where are you going next?" thread, I may have to say some nice words about you, knowing you are going to your impending death. The lowest it goes is to 19C. There is also a fan on the ceiling and it feels very cool to me, but I am probably as useful as a wooden spoon at informing you on whether something is cold.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:39 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
If you mentioned you were visiting Amanpulo under the "Where are you going next?" thread, I may have to say some nice words about you, knowing you are going to your impending death. The lowest it goes is to 19C. There is also a fan on the ceiling and it feels very cool to me, but I am probably as useful as a wooden spoon at informing you on whether something is cold.
OMG. Still, I fantasize about traveling with you two to the Arctic or to Antarctica so I can comfort you.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
MacMyDay, how did you get from Phuket to Amanpulo? Did you find it an easy trip?
It would be easy to do on Thai Airways in business class. They've got so many flights to BKK from HKT, and several per day from BKK to MNL, so timing would likely line up well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.