Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 8:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Looks like this is the right place to tap into the Amanpulo experts - I'll be heading to a wedding near Bangkok, Thailand at the end of this year, and while I had initially thought about a trip to Amanpuri, the recent lackluster reviews have me re-visiting that plan. So Amanpulo is now on my radar, and after some initial research had a few questions:

1) Suggestions on the "right" number of nights to stay? I know that's completely subjective, but I'm initially thinking 4, and definitely interested in everyone's thoughts. We'll also be attending a beach wedding in Thailand so this wouldn't be the only beach stop on this trip, which is a consideration

2) Any more feedback on the ~$350/day supplement for the "Island Escape" package? I'd already be receiving free breakfast everyday and a lunch if booking through Virtuoso, so the tradeoff really boils down to whether to go $350 fixed cost for lunch/dinner or a la carte. Based on the menu, food costs actually look surprisingly reasonable, and I'd hate to be locked into the package if there were any special meals or experiences that are worth trying

3) Related to #2, the 1BR Villa is not available with the "Island Escape" package. Thoughts on whether this would be worth it over the Beach Casita for the extra $330/night? Other than the extra square footage and the pool, the only other benefit jumping out to me is the private chef, and I'm not sure how much I'd value that. Again, I know it's a totally subjective question, but interested in hearing thoughts.
You just missed some of us in SF last Tuesday !
4 nights is good since you are already coming from Thailand . But if you have time , you may wish to extend your stay as it is a really lovely Aman & with the best beach .
Am still jet lagging from Puri ( am now in Seattle ) .

If you have breakfast which has always been quite a spread for me in our beach casita , lunch is not necessary , not possible !

Have always enjoyed stays in a beach casita as it is really easy beach access . The beach barbecue is also quite an experience with the sunset & your choice of seafood , etc . You know , Aman style , ask for whatever you wish
Old May 19, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: some
Well, I am writing this from my beach casita, on for my first stay at Amanpulo and - even though this is Aman number 14 - I'm blown away. What an amazing place, and what a privilege to be here. I'll post more comments after I leave but so far it's been nothing short of magical.

I hadn't been too impressed with my Virtuoso agent (US based) lately so I decided to take chinmoylad up on his offer and he really came through. Very good communication and he was able to secure some superb benefits (including an upgrade that was confirmed the day before I checked in!). Definitely will be booking through him again.

Now back to paradise
Old May 19, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks Fliar, great to hear

pulo owner annual report >
47.2% occupancy 2015
901 villa nights 2015
707 villa nights 2014
american guests up 69%
phillipines guests up 49%

Amanpulo committed to increasing flights throughout the low season to allow two flights daily, year-round for the first time. This resulted in a considerable increase in air charter costs

completed the renovation of the beach club in 2015. For 2016, the purchase of a new generator, a desalination plant and new roofing for the beach and the lagoon clubs are scheduled. The upgrade of back-of-house facilities for the staff, namely bathrooms, canteen, recreation area and cottages are scheduled for completion in the first quarter of 2016.

villa sale. Four villas under construction last year were turned over during the first half of 2015. Two villas remain under construction and are slated for completion within the third quarter of 2016.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post24608135
www.flyertalk.com/forum/22607265-post17.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 19, 2016 at 10:14 am
Old May 20, 2016, 8:31 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Looks like this is the right place to tap into the Amanpulo experts - I'll be heading to a wedding near Bangkok, Thailand at the end of this year, and while I had initially thought about a trip to Amanpuri, the recent lackluster reviews have me re-visiting that plan. So Amanpulo is now on my radar, and after some initial research had a few questions:

1) Suggestions on the "right" number of nights to stay? I know that's completely subjective, but I'm initially thinking 4, and definitely interested in everyone's thoughts. We'll also be attending a beach wedding in Thailand so this wouldn't be the only beach stop on this trip, which is a consideration

2) Any more feedback on the ~$350/day supplement for the "Island Escape" package? I'd already be receiving free breakfast everyday and a lunch if booking through Virtuoso, so the tradeoff really boils down to whether to go $350 fixed cost for lunch/dinner or a la carte. Based on the menu, food costs actually look surprisingly reasonable, and I'd hate to be locked into the package if there were any special meals or experiences that are worth trying

3) Related to #2, the 1BR Villa is not available with the "Island Escape" package. Thoughts on whether this would be worth it over the Beach Casita for the extra $330/night? Other than the extra square footage and the pool, the only other benefit jumping out to me is the private chef, and I'm not sure how much I'd value that. Again, I know it's a totally subjective question, but interested in hearing thoughts.
1. I'd ideally recommend 3-5 nights, but it also depends on how much snorkeling and diving you want to do.

2. Food is very reasonably priced. The USD 350 fixed cost might make sense if there are two people and you tend to order a few things though (e.g. appetiser, main, desert each - though I've found Aman's portions very plentiful). If you're ordering a bit less than that, might be better to forgo the additional charge and just pay as you go.

3. I'd skip it unless a private pool and that extra space is a must. Plenty of dining options in any case.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:59 pm

BBQ dinner

I'm very excited to be visiting Amanpulo, and I was hoping to get some advice on where on the island to have a private beach BBQ dinner.

I'm not staying in a beach villa (I'm staying in a hillside villa), so my options are more limited (no dinner on the beach outside my villa).

I had been hoping to get a sunset view, but the hotel recommended against that since I'll be visiting in August when it's windy on that side of the island. They suggested either the Island Cave or Lagoon Sala.

I'm curious if anyone who's been to Amanpulo would recommend one over the other location for a private dinner.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by sfoltl
I'm very excited to be visiting Amanpulo, and I was hoping to get some advice on where on the island to have a private beach BBQ dinner.

I'm not staying in a beach villa (I'm staying in a hillside villa), so my options are more limited (no dinner on the beach outside my villa).

I had been hoping to get a sunset view, but the hotel recommended against that since I'll be visiting in August when it's windy on that side of the island. They suggested either the Island Cave or Lagoon Sala.

I'm curious if anyone who's been to Amanpulo would recommend one over the other location for a private dinner.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
I prefer the Lagoon Sala as I found the Island Cave a bit creepy and bug ridden. The views of the former are lovely.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:21 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Combining Amanpulo with luxury diving resort/experience in Philippines?

I'm searching for a possible luxury add-on in the Philippines to supplement an Amanpulo stay. We are advanced scuba divers, and Amanpulo diving is beginner level at best, so optimally we'd want to combine Amanpulo with another diving experience at a luxury resort somewhere (or a charter yacht that is diving capable). Any suggestions?

Important edit: air con is extremely important!

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 16, 2016 at 11:55 am
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'm searching for a possible luxury add-on in the Philippines to supplement an Amanpulo stay. We are advanced scuba divers, and Amanpulo diving is beginner level at best, so optimally we'd want to combine Amanpulo with another diving experience at a luxury resort somewhere (or a charter yacht that is diving capable). Any suggestions?
Best diving in Philippines is Tubbataha Reef where you´ll need to go by boat. We liked Palawan for wreck diving and stayed at http://www.clubparadisepalawan.com/ . From there you can also go on a day trip to Apo Reef which is amazing. If you fly to Cebu then Moalboal is also really nice. In Oslob you can dive which whale sharks almost every day. We stayed at Sumilon Island. It´s all good standard but no Aman.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: -
I can't speak for the quality of diving (I wasn't certified when I went) but I'd recommend Pangulasian Island.

The snorkeling on the resort reef was great (lots of reef sharks and turtles if that interests you). The resort itself is nice but not luxurious.I would suspect the service doesn't compare to amanpulo (I'm scheduled to go to pulo next year so can't really compare yet). That said, you can expect to pay ~50% less so may be a good compromise.

The only annoying part (and if you have the means there's probably ways to arrange something better) is that you will have to fly back to MNL to get to El Nido airport (and then a ~20 min boat to the resort) even though El Nido and Amanpulo are probably <100 miles apart.

Last edited by jfkcnf; Jun 16, 2016 at 2:58 pm Reason: *not* whale sharks (thinking too much about Maldives...)
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:56 am

Just make sure Amanpulo is the last resort in your itinerary, as anything else will disappoint you afterwards. I would probably do El Nido, Pulo and then a very good and solid city hotel. All about balance.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:45 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Important edit: air con is extremely important!
I've looked a lot at this place but have never been. Perhaps you can take one for the team and report back. I'm dying to see the mandarin fish.
http://atmosphereresorts.com
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:57 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Yes I did!

The first couple of days he was quite busy being shown the ropes by Tapa (and ironically our schedules kept bumping so that everytime he was somewhere, so was I!) but had a chance to speak with him on the 3rd day.

Bet he remembers me now though
So who is the new GM? An Aman veteran or somebody external?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
ex Giri GM transfer
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Christophe Olivro, formerly of Amangiri.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:25 pm

Not my best video, but does show off how amazing this beach is:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.