Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by jfkcnf
If prices are reasonable, would it not be smart to book the "island escape" rates that include full board?

I know they also include champagne on arrival but I'll probably have more than enough on the ~20hr journey there
They do include this, but at most resorts (or better hotel) it is almost customary for management to arrange for Champagne to be sent to the room.

With island escape it is guaranteed. But they are most accommodating anyways - if you do not like alcohol they can have a nice grape juice in the room or fresh orange juice every evening during turndown. And should a bottle overwhelm you, the (former) F&B manager Rajeev P offered glasses of Champagne during dinner every evening. Anything is possible.

Last edited by scented; Apr 20, 2016 at 4:27 pm
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:30 pm

Did you meet the new GM? Any comments?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Musken
It is number 32 as far as I know - in case things has not changed. In any case you want to be at the same side of the island as where the casitas are since this is by far the nicest beach. I think we were in 33, normally a 2 BR but we used it as a 1 BR.

We ate in all the time after moving to the villa, but we were many days in a casita before moving over to the villa, so we had already tried the food in all the other restaurants. We loved having our own chef who was able to know exactly what we wanted even more than we did. We had him make Indian food and thai food as well as continental food, comfort food and special favourites of our son. One day he prepared fish that we had caught ourselves. He could make really anything we asked for - or would suggest something. Maybe you should split your stay as well? They can pack and move for you so it is really no hassle. Start in a casita though!!
Thanks for the info. Only a 4 day stay so probably won't split the stay.. thinking that the villa might be the way we would head if we go..(after all, it's our 10th anniversary and I don't think that we will be heading back to the Philippines anytime)

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
There are only 2 and yes, they are located just above the kids club in the green part in the map.
Thanks! It doesn't appear that this room type shows up on the online booking agent but I have been in touch with reservations and there is availability..

Originally Posted by scented
Don't forget that Aman(pulo) doesn't nickel and dime. Expenses for food are so reasonable at this resort that I never felt there were huge costs associated with it. Especially in the villas.
Thanks- just looking at the breakfast/lunch/dinner menus it looks like I would probably need to budget somewhere like $200-250 for two people for food.. just a guess though.. we aren't huge eaters typically so that's not terrible... I'm going off these menus.. anyone have any more recent?

Originally Posted by jfkcnf
If prices are reasonable, would it not be smart to book the "island escape" rates that include full board?

I know they also include champagne on arrival but I'll probably have more than enough on the ~20hr journey there

They do include this, but at most resorts (or better hotel) it is almost customary for management to arrange for Champagne to be sent to the room.

With island escape it is guaranteed. But they are most accommodating anyways - if you do not like alcohol they can have a nice grape juice in the room or fresh orange juice every evening during turndown. And should a bottle overwhelm you, the (former) F&B manager Rajeev P offered glasses of Champagne during dinner every evening. Anything is possible.
Looks like they charge somewhere between $350-400/day extra for the island escape package which includes he following:
- a bottle of champagne with canapés on arrival
- daily breakfast, lunch and ŕ la carte dinner (one starter, one main course and one dessert per person, excluding beverages) for two
- non-alcoholic beverages from the Casita mini bar

not sure if I can spend that much on food a day.. I've received a bottle of champagne at most of my Aman stays....

One question- is it possible to leave luggage in Manilla, maybe at the lounge? seems like they are pretty strict with the 44 lb weight limit; would be nice to leave some of the stuff behind...

once again infinite thanks- I really hope that this portion of the trip comes to fruition...
FDW
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:10 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Yes you can. Since they have their own dedicated lounge at the hangar at MNL, and the lounge is huge, they will store excess luggage there.

That said, depending on the load on the plane, they may permit you to bring everything with you. They did for us.

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
One question- is it possible to leave luggage in Manilla, maybe at the lounge? seems like they are pretty strict with the 44 lb weight limit; would be nice to leave some of the stuff behind...
FDW
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Have left luggage in the Aman lounge before & Pulo could also bring other purchases or other baggage on different flights .
We have been on a flight when we were the only passengers & others which were relatively full . Sometimes staff are also on the flight & always some Pulo supplies .

If you are confirmed going , can put in a word for you if you wish . Jane T is still on the island

Love the beach & definitely swimmable sea .

The Aman team here has been really wonderful , overall the best . Just hoping that all will be at least maintained with the changes . It won't be the same otherwise , the islanders have done Aman proud even with typhoons having affected them . Will be very sad if allowed to slip after all the years or development & hard work .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 20, 2016 at 10:08 pm
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:22 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Did you meet the new GM? Any comments?
Yes I did!

The first couple of days he was quite busy being shown the ropes by Tapa (and ironically our schedules kept bumping so that everytime he was somewhere, so was I!) but had a chance to speak with him on the 3rd day.

Bet he remembers me now though
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FlyingDoctorwu, if you want Exclusive, talk to Christina Deeny
or talk to Tapa Tibble, he would probably take care of it
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Jane T is still on the island
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-amanpulo.html = Musken's

some beach casitas have more of a view, there is discussion

ive posted detailed breakdowns of accommodation categories

villas >

one 1BR + two 2BR - north end of casita beach (new two treetop pool casitas part of same 'owners villa')
dec 6 2015 >
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
beach in front of them was not great 2 weeks ago (damaged, with a "lagoon" forming in the middle of the beach and rocks/gravel/algae exposed)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25820910

4BR "palawan" - north beach
4BR "lagoon" - southeast
two invitation-only - south end of casita beach

so avoid "lagoon" if being put in 4BR on lower rate

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 21, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:19 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
FYI , Tapa T is at Aman SS but Jane T is back at Pulo for rest of the handover .
She & M then join Tapa .
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fantastic!

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
snorkeling with 2 metre long reef tip sharks and 1.5m long giant sea turtles.

WALKTHROUGH Private Villas
is that one of the new 4BR villas on north beach ?
how was beach at north end of casita beach in front of 1/2BR villas ?
casita number ?

plane timings (both from Manila to the island, and vice versa) are typically arranged according to international flight arrivals from Hong Kong and Japan, Amanpulo's two biggest markets. I took the 9.30am Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong and was at the island by 2pm. Would have been earlier but for a delay in taking off from Manila...Manila airport, whisked off to their private lounge at the hangar (approx 10-30 min drive away - Manila traffic can be bad)
that long a drive even from terminal 3 ?

Best time to go is January - May. As much as possible, avoid June - November
apr may is off peak, except holidays (golden week)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25854962

unlike any other villas I've seen in Southeast Asia or at Aman
not uncommon - amanoi and amanyara for example for aman
arent some of original puri villas like that? (not the new ones)
IIRC some/most zoe villas are like that (20 has 4 pool pavilions)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 22, 2016 at 7:58 am
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:21 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
fantastic!
is that one of the new 4BR villas on north beach ?
how was beach at north end of casita beach in front of 1/2BR villas ?
casita number ?
Yes this is one of the new 4BR villas.

I was in Casita #23, right next to the Picnic Grove.

Ironically the beach at the north villas is nowhere near as nice as the beach by my casita - whereas the beachfront area by my casita was beautifully soft and pure, there was a lot of coral, shell sediments washed up ashore north end by the villas. But I'm told that this does shift according to season and there are times when the beach by the north end is the nicer one.

that long a drive even from terminal 3 ?
Really bad traffic. Coming back from hangar to airport it was 10 minutes. Going to the hangar took us 30 minutes.

not uncommon - amanoi and amanyara for example for aman
arent some of original puri villas like that? (not the new ones)
IIRC some/most zoe villas are like that (20 has 4 pool pavilions)
I've seen the old Amanpuri villas, but something about this is totally different. Not sure what it is - can't really place it. Haven't seen Amanoi and Amanyara.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

first photos / videos of new north palawan villas that i recall !

Ironically the beach at the north villas is nowhere near as nice as the beach by my casita - whereas the beachfront area by my casita was beautifully soft and pure, there was a lot of coral, shell sediments washed up ashore north end by the villas. But I'm told that this does shift according to season and there are times
including in front of 1/2BRs and northern beach casitas ?
(rather than the 4BRs (new and nature) past gary's nest)

hear anything re renting "Private Villas" on beach south of beach casitas?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25820910

re design >

original owners villas (west villa compound and nature villa, for soriano/aboitiz) published rates in early 1999. their design was probably a factor in subsequent design of first southeast lagoon villas which were delivered in 2008. some buyers had probably stayed in them, and some may have mentioned liking design. villas having staff, being at tropical resort hotel, and aman typically valuing privacy could be additional factors.

floorplans showing amanyara villa guest pavilions here >
http://www.amanyaravillas.com/villas/villa-rental.html
(click on "beach villas ocean villas tranquility villas")
i recall similar gathy design proposals, and GHM >
http://www.ghmhotels.com/en/nam-hai/...achfront-pool/
ive seen it other places, including private residences

something about guest pavilions is different? or less interior common areas?
at least some of original amanpuri villas have separate guest pavilions, right?
part of difference is because puri is set on a hill, like these >
http://www.fourseasons.com/kohsamui/...sidence_villa/
http://www.fourseasons.com/seychelle...sidence-villa/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 22, 2016 at 6:47 am
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:25 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Sigh. Amanpulo is so photogenic!
The nice thing about adopting a child from the Philippines is that we KNOW we will be back someday in the not too distant future. 😎
Old May 9, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: some
As long as adopting a child from there is not just an excuse to return to Amanpulo more often!

(just kidding, of course!)
Old May 15, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Looks like this is the right place to tap into the Amanpulo experts - I'll be heading to a wedding near Bangkok, Thailand at the end of this year, and while I had initially thought about a trip to Amanpuri, the recent lackluster reviews have me re-visiting that plan. So Amanpulo is now on my radar, and after some initial research had a few questions:

1) Suggestions on the "right" number of nights to stay? I know that's completely subjective, but I'm initially thinking 4, and definitely interested in everyone's thoughts. We'll also be attending a beach wedding in Thailand so this wouldn't be the only beach stop on this trip, which is a consideration

2) Any more feedback on the ~$350/day supplement for the "Island Escape" package? I'd already be receiving free breakfast everyday and a lunch if booking through Virtuoso, so the tradeoff really boils down to whether to go $350 fixed cost for lunch/dinner or a la carte. Based on the menu, food costs actually look surprisingly reasonable, and I'd hate to be locked into the package if there were any special meals or experiences that are worth trying

3) Related to #2, the 1BR Villa is not available with the "Island Escape" package. Thoughts on whether this would be worth it over the Beach Casita for the extra $330/night? Other than the extra square footage and the pool, the only other benefit jumping out to me is the private chef, and I'm not sure how much I'd value that. Again, I know it's a totally subjective question, but interested in hearing thoughts.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:11 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Looks like this is the right place to tap into the Amanpulo experts - I'll be heading to a wedding near Bangkok, Thailand at the end of this year, and while I had initially thought about a trip to Amanpuri, the recent lackluster reviews have me re-visiting that plan. So Amanpulo is now on my radar, and after some initial research had a few questions:

1) Suggestions on the "right" number of nights to stay? I know that's completely subjective, but I'm initially thinking 4, and definitely interested in everyone's thoughts. We'll also be attending a beach wedding in Thailand so this wouldn't be the only beach stop on this trip, which is a consideration

2) Any more feedback on the ~$350/day supplement for the "Island Escape" package? I'd already be receiving free breakfast everyday and a lunch if booking through Virtuoso, so the tradeoff really boils down to whether to go $350 fixed cost for lunch/dinner or a la carte. Based on the menu, food costs actually look surprisingly reasonable, and I'd hate to be locked into the package if there were any special meals or experiences that are worth trying

3) Related to #2, the 1BR Villa is not available with the "Island Escape" package. Thoughts on whether this would be worth it over the Beach Casita for the extra $330/night? Other than the extra square footage and the pool, the only other benefit jumping out to me is the private chef, and I'm not sure how much I'd value that. Again, I know it's a totally subjective question, but interested in hearing thoughts.
Not sure I can actually answer your question, but I went through similar thougth process for my 10th anniversary trip.. ultimate decided on a trip to Spain but here's what I thought....

I planned on 4 days but that's mainly because for us that's usually the perfect amount of time to enjoy a place without getting a bit antsy... I was definitely debating the whole Island Escape package... in the end I decided it wasn't worth it. We aren't maximizers, so I don't think that we would get a great value... if you're someone who will look at the menu and order a steak every night, then it might be an ok deal because I've heard the steaks are pricey.. for us lunch is typically sharing a salad and then sharing a pizza or burger and dinner we would typically have a starter, two entrees, and then dessert... the numbers just didn't really add up in the end, especially with one lunch and breakfast being accounted for by virtuoso... food prices didn't seem to be too outrageous (plus I did want to do the beach bbq experience and wasn't sure how that got computed)...

I was really considering the 1 bdrm villa for the pool and beachfront.. I think the private chef would be cool for a couple meals but for us having a chef/butler is totally overkill and perhaps a bit intrusive.. we value our privacy the most and the villa does indeed have the space for that...

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.