Community
Wiki Posts
Search

top hotel in Dubai -advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:44 am
Original Poster

top hotel in Dubai -advice

First time visit looking for the best, suggestions.
thx
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Thats easy! The Burj Al Arab (http://www.burj-al-arab.com/) without a doubt.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ooops, he beat me to it
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You jest, surely.

Madinat Jumeirah, assuming you're travelling on holiday, is generally seen as the best choice. It won 'Best Hotel In The World' in 2004 from 'The Gallivanters Guide' newsletter (wot rich people read to tell them where to stay!) and, more importantly, I had five days there in January and can confirm it.

Do a search and you'll find the report I wrote when I returned.

Feel free to go the Burj if you like a) mirrors above your bed (I kid you not), b) bright primary colours and c) excessive use of gold leaf. And you're not bothered about a decent sized beach or pool.

MJ is a full-scale luxury HOLIDAY RESORT (two 5* hotels and 20-odd 5+* summer house villas) with 80+ bars and food outlets as opposed to the Burj which is a hotel aimed at the business market. You can pop in and see what you're missing, as we did, and you're unlikely to regret your choice. The Dar Al Masyaf summer houses are particularly impressive, especially the ones by the beach (the rest are a bit of a trek to the water).

What is cool, I must admit, is sitting on MJ's beach and watching helicopters land on the Burj helipad next door. Its also worth mentioning that MJ and the Burj are some of the very few hotels not to be affected by building work on the various massive islands being built out into the gulf.

Last edited by RJB; Aug 11, 2005 at 6:16 am
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by RJB
You jest, surely.

Madinat Jumeirah, assuming you're travelling on holiday, is generally seen as the best choice. It won 'Best Hotel In The World' in 2004 from 'The Gallivanters Guide' newsletter (wot rich people read to tell them where to stay!) and, more importantly, I had five days there in January and can confirm it.

Do a search and you'll find the report I wrote when I returned.

Feel free to go the Burj if you like a) mirrors above your bed (I kid you not), b) bright primary colours and c) excessive use of gold leaf. And you're not bothered about a decent sized beach or pool.

MJ is a full-scale luxury HOLIDAY RESORT (two 5* hotels and 20-odd 5+* summer house villas) with 80+ bars and food outlets as opposed to the Burj which is a hotel aimed at the business market. You can pop in and see what you're missing, as we did, and you're unlikely to regret your choice.

Totally agree. The Burj is worth seeing over dinner or a drink, but dont stay there if you dont love the colours blue & gold every where you look
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Thats easy! The Burj Al Arab (http://www.burj-al-arab.com/) without a doubt.
It's still the most recommended place by Dubai natives. Even they look for deals at the place.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:44 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Dar el Masyaf at Madinat ^

http://www.madinatjumeirah.com/dar_al_masyaf/
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:46 am

Programs: M&M Freq, BA, Emirates, KLM, CSA
Royal Mirage also a top hotel if you are looking to be by the beach. If you are happy to stay in town then the Fairmount or Grand Hyatt are both new and centrally located
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:02 am

I second the above about Madinat Jumeirah.

Had a wonderful stay there last year, and will be back again in september. My peice of advice would be to pay the little extra for exec. benefits. The breakfasts there are the best I have seen anywhere on this earth. Also worthe it for the free drinks, canapes, cakes and just the fact that the lounge is a great place to hang out and be pampered for free.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:19 pm

I'm in the camp that thinks Burj Al Arab is over-the-top and tasteless in design terms. I also found service there left a lot to be desired. I would never consider returning there.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:08 pm

I will second the Madinat suggestion. Though I didn't stay there, I can easily see how for a holiday it's much preferable than the Burj.

Were I you, I would split the trip maybe with the first couple of nights at the Burj (that way they pick you up at the airport) and the remainder at the Madinat. That way you can at least tell people you stayed at the Burj and you can then also make your own comparisons. They're practially next to each other anyway. Check here

Really, there are so many amazing choices in Dubai these days. Were I looking to have a somewhat discreet, laid-back, top notch vacation I would not hesitate to book the Royal Mirage either. Incredibly impressive, discreet, luxury property. Love that roof bar.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Madinat and Mirage are really top. The Burj is for people on an ego trip. Ghastly and service is really not up to par unless you belong to the real VIP's of this world.
I was there twice, once privately, once as a guest of the government. As far as the service was concerned, you could have been on two different planets.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 4:51 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Consistency in service is important and a really good hotel should treat every traveller the same.

Any thoughts about the Ritz Carlton Dubai ?

It is the smallest hotel on Jumeirah beach with just 138 rooms ?

How good is the club floor ?

How bad is the construction noise of close by construction sites ?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:06 am

Ritz

When I was there a year ago the construction around the Ritz was awfull. We felt sorry for the people who booked it and had to go through all that noise and mess. We heard that people were checking out and going to other hotels.

This was a year ago, and may have improved since then.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Thanks for letting me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.