Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inn at Little Washington - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Inn at Little Washington - worth it?

The wife and I love good restaurants and good hotels and the Inn at Little Washington seems to be the perfect combination of both; and one with a stellar reputation! My wife really wants to go down for a night to celebrate a pretty big birthday and to get away from our 6 month old and have some adult time. I'm all for it but these prices are outside the realm of anything I've experienced.

The room:
A room with a queen size bed STARTS at $600+ for a Saturday night, $500+ for Friday night. A king size bed, which I think is a must, STARTS at $800 for a Saturday night, $700 for a Friday night. A junior suite on a Saturday night - $950.

Food:
Considering that the Inn is most known for it's food, I would expect to pay a hefty price, but wow -- Saturday night is $168 per person excluding tax, tip and alcohol; $138 for Friday night.

That is a lot of money for one night at a B&B in the middle of nowhere. Anyone have any experience at the Inn?
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:20 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I was there several years ago for two nights. I did not love the room--it was a duplex (more like a loft bedroom with a small balcony) but strangely configured, with not very workable space. (My recollection is we booked late and did not have a lot of choice.) The food was wonderful. SErvice was very good. We had to leave very early at checkout and they packed up a really great breakfast basket for us. It IS in the middle of nowhere, but a very pretty nowhere and if you wanted to tour Civil War battlefields, I think it's not that far (we didn't). Whether it's worth it or not is something you will have to decide.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expensive and in the middle of nowhere. Very much like most French 3* hotel/restaurant complexes(or B&B's as you say) outside Paris.

I think if you check, you will find the place booked far in advance, (and not available on priceline)which speaks for the price-value situation.

To further answer, I think the food is well worth the cost, but the room price not.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:08 am

I would agree with the comments that the food is worth the price but the rooms are not - but there are several very nice B&Bs in and around Washington, VA and I would recommend staying at one of them instead when you visit the Inn. I went with my mom a few years ago and we stayed at a B&B that was about a block from the Inn and was very nice - I think it was about $200/night.

The meal at the Inn was very worth the price, IMHO. My mom is generally very frugal and the kind of person who can find fault with just about anything but she absolutely loved it as well - no complaints. She is already talking about making reservations again this year when she and my dad come out to visit. The Inn is beautiful and the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion, and the price becomes a little easier to bear when you realize that you will be there for several hours and it is sort of dining and entertainment for the evening rolled into one.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Went to the Inn for dinner at the end of December. Dinner was well worth the price. It's not the single best meal I've had, but probably the best service. I'd absolutely return. We had wines paired to the courses, nothing especially pricey, and the bill for (2) was $475.

Stayed at the Heritage House B&B about a block and a half from the Inn. There are probably 5-6 B&Bs in town, all of them predominantly service folks coming for dinner at the Inn at Little Washington. IIRC my room with private bath was $195+tax. Breakfast was outstanding, as it needs to be when everyone there had dinner at the Inn the night before.

richard reviewed their dinner here.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

A new thread was started as recent comments were added. That's because there were no posts in this thread for 9 years, so now closed.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.