Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Banff/Lake Louise?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Fairmont Banff/Lake Louise?

I'm new to this group, so thanks for having me.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Banff/Lake Louise
in late August or early September. I'm pregnant, in my
second trimester, and we'd like to take one last fling before
our life "begins." Has anyone stayed at the Fairmont hotels,
and how do they compare with the other hotels in the area?
We would actually prefer something less touristy, more
secluded and intimate, but with just as nice views and
rooms, but the Fairmont's the easiest choice. It seems to be
twice the price of other similarly rated hotels. Is the comfort/
view/service worth it?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
I stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs in May, and had a very good trip. The hotel complex is quite large, and the surroundings are quite breathtaking. I actually found the Fairmont Lake Louise to be much more picturesque than the Banff Springs property, but Banff Springs is much more central to town. I'd recommend staying at the Banff Springs property, and going out to Lake Louise for lunch or dinner.

The rooms are a bit on the small side for these properties. We stayed in a mini-suite in the Tudor wing I believe. That was far more spacious, though surprisingly the living area had only two wing back chairs, but no sofa. That was a little useless if you ask me. But the superior or deluxe categories should be fine for two people. The standard category I would presume are a fairly tight squeeze.

Enjoy Banff, it truly is one of the most beautiful places I've visited.

Also, forgot to add that the staff at the Banff Springs property were incredibly nice and eager to please. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the service. While they may not anticipate your every need, they will happily fulfill any request.

Last edited by RChavez; Jul 19, 2005 at 3:02 pm
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:09 pm

We've enjoyed our stays at the four-star Rimrock Resort uphill from the Banff Springs Hotel. The Rimrock's motto? "We look down on the Banff Springs Hotel."
Old Jul 20, 2005, 6:17 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Both the Fairmonts are beautiful and are the doyennes of the Rockies. I've only eaten at the Lake Louise Hotel, which has the beautiful view on the lake. But, I love the Rimrock. I was the keynote speaker at a conference there a few years ago and the views are spectacular. I stayed in one of their suites (magnificent) and it was a lovely place. The dining room also has a great view if I remember correctly. The real question is whether you want to be somewhat isolated (in a touristy spot) at Lake Louise or closer to services (restaurants, stores, etc.) in Banff. The park and the nearby provincial parks are just spectacular and the skiing there is fun also.

Have a great time.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Few years since I have stayed at either of the fairmont properties but the view from the Fairmont Lake Louise (it was The Chateau Lake Louise when I last stayed) Has to be one of the most spectacular anywhere in the world.The Banff Springs was also excellent,close to town good service, only problem was quite a few non hotel residents checking out the public areas of the both hotels making them quite crowded.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 7:27 am

Programs: QF Gold
Fairmont Lake Louise's rooms are fairly tired and the service leaves something to be desired. The views, however, are spectacular. One concept I enjoy particularly at both properties and many other Canadian Fairmonts are the Delis; Banff's is a very extensive self serve example (Open 24 Hours from memory). The Glacier Saloon at Lake Louise is fantastic casual dining.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Chateau Lake Louise is very touristy but has a great view. If you are in for some gourmet food, check out the Post Hotel in Lake Louise, one of the best menus and a very large wine list. IF you are there during a busy time, you may want to book a table well in advance.
Have a great time.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:33 pm

Programs: A Few
I have stayed in both properties and can say both are VERY nice. The Springs is certainly a larger, more grand hotel...I love wandering around the public areas...it's like a castle. It's also in Banff...so there are more dining and entertainment options nearby.

The Chateau Lake Louise would be the property to choose for the view...simply amazing. It's the only property with lake frontage and no-one else can offer the view they have.

That said...other posters have mentioned The Rimrock and The Post...they are both excellent properties as well. It just depends on what experience you are looking for.

You might consider delaying your trip until after Labour Day when the hordes of tourists will depart and the rates will drop like a rock. Fall is a beautiful time of year here and your money will go farther. I was lucky enough to be a The Chateau Lake Louise one year on the night of the first snowfall of the season...the million dollar view got even better!
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:33 am

IF you decide to go before September 7th, both the Banff Springs and the Chateau Lake Louise have a special for a free third night when you book two nights at 'great Canadian deal' rate.
I jsut received an email this morning regarding this offer.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I agree with this poster

Originally Posted by Oneworld_Flyer
Fairmont Lake Louise's rooms are fairly tired and the service leaves something to be desired. The views, however, are spectacular. One concept I enjoy particularly at both properties and many other Canadian Fairmonts are the Delis; Banff's is a very extensive self serve example (Open 24 Hours from memory). The Glacier Saloon at Lake Louise is fantastic casual dining.

Exactly my experience. Rooms are a bit tired, but the views are spectacular. They have a nice restaurant with great food and ambiance for a more upscale dinner. I had a nice massage at the spa with a great masseur. Since you're pregnant, you probably won't be that into the hiking but it's great too.

Have fun!!!!
Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I, too, agree that the Lake Louise views are spectacular, apart from which rooms are at best mediocre, and service barely acceptable.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:22 pm

I usually stay at Banff Springs, and go to Lake Louise for lunch. The rooms and service are nicer at the BS, I think. (I still think the "chateau", which has been rebuilt several times, looks like a large Sheraton. But the view is nice.) Also, the spa at the Banff Springs is out of this world -- book a morning treatment and spend the rest of the day there.

That said, if you really hate the idea of tourists, the Rimrock is definitely a bit more private. And, as others have said, go after Labor Day.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TeaAddict
Also, the spa at the Banff Springs is out of this world -- book a morning treatment and spend the rest of the day there.
^ I completely forgot to mention the spa myself. I had an amazing afternoon of pampering, and the spa is definitely worth lingering in. I wish that I had done what TeaAddict suggests and booked a morning treatment instead of my late afternoon appointment, as I only had a short time to truly enjoy it before it was time for dinner.

It's not cheap, but the ambience and views from the pools are really beautiful. Oh, and while I was relaxing in the spa pools, apparently 2 deer came up to the grass just outside and were grazing for some time. I say apparently because I had taken my contacts out to swim, and I'm Mr. Magoo without them. Let's just say that everyone else in the spa got great enjoyment out of the experience, but I had to use my imagination!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Retired FF
IF you decide to go before September 7th, both the Banff Springs and the Chateau Lake Louise have a special for a free third night when you book two nights at 'great Canadian deal' rate.
I jsut received an email this morning regarding this offer.
I can not find this offer. Is it still available?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:19 am

I have deleted the email but here is partial text that I had PMed to someone else on the forum. It is applicapable to all the Fairmonts in the Rockies. You should be able to call them and get this rate..

Here is the text of the email I received. It applies to ALL the Fairmonts in teh Rockies.

GREAT CANADIAN DEAL
Third Night Free*
until September 7, 2005

The Fairmont Banff Springs
Experience the best of the Rockies and get your third night free until September 7, 2005.
Alberta's Rocky Mountain summer may be drawing to a close, but there's still time to enjoy warm sparkling days and cool lazy nights at your favourite high altitude getaways.
And there's still plenty to do - tee off on our renowned golf courses, join guided hikes on spectacular trails, sample superb culinary creations in our dining rooms, luxuriate and rejuvenate in our spas, or just kick back and enjoy our magnificent mountain settings.
And from now until September 7th, when you book two consecutive nights on the Great Canadian Deal, you'll receive the third night absolutely free!
[I]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.