Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2009, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by paul2
Has anyone stayed at amanwana recently?
If you have, can you comment on transfers and how reliable flights via lombok/sumbawa are?
Was the seaplane transfer in operation?

If you have been there before, what if any changes did you notice?

I have been there many times and love the place. Planning a trip later this year and just wondering about transfers and anything new.
PaulDeuce:

See my post #628 above, though it's now a bit out of date, if you mean really, really recently.

Still current though, so far as I know. The Travira seaplane will operate three times weekly (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) until 1 November, then charters only until Christmas -- New Years, then back to charters until beginning of the northern summer travel season in May, 2010. During the northern summer season, it runs on a regular schedule, posted on the Amanwana website....I think it's 9 am from DPS (it uses Ngurah Rah's runways at DPS, thanks to wheels that lower through the pontoons).

The scheduled Sumbawa flight is now operated daily, sometimes by a Riau Airlines F-50, sometimes by a Trigana ATR-42. It does stop in Mataram, and there are sometimes two flight numbers, but it's effectively a through flight. The departure time from DPS can vary according to carrier whim, but they will tell Aman ahead of time, and Aman will tell you. Once they decide if they feel more like 9 am than 1 pm, or v v, they'll stick to it. The schedule says it's 9 am Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, and 1 pm Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays....that might have something to do with which carrier is operating the flight: Trigana likes to go at 9; Riau at 1.

The Aman boat ride from Sumbawa Besar to Moyo Island is a hoot in itself, and highly recommended. Kevin Brooke was aboard both plane and boat our last trip -- that's how he gets to DPS, too.

Last edited by Bitterroot; May 22, 2009 at 2:14 am
Old May 22, 2009, 6:21 am

Amanwana recent visit

Has anyone stayed at amanwana recently?
If you have, can you comment on transfers and how reliable flights via lombok/sumbawa are?
Was the seaplane transfer in operation?

If you have been there before, what if any changes did you notice?

I have been there many times and love the place. Planning a trip later this year and just wondering about transfers and anything new.
We went, very recently, via the Lombok/Sumbawa flight, as we had done previously, and it was perfectly fine. Aman have a beautiful lounge and dock at Sumbawa, where the boat leaves from and this is a spectacular experience. Never managed to do the seaplane transfer as we always seem to go out of season, but I hear it is excellent.

The resort is better than it has ever been. Over the years it has matured wonderfully and has added numerous excellent touches. The jungle spa is a real favourite of mine (or the tented spa out of season). Great service, very good food and an amazing wine list. Immaculate in every way.
Old May 24, 2009, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
We went, very recently, via the Lombok/Sumbawa flight, as we had done previously, and it was perfectly fine. Aman have a beautiful lounge and dock at Sumbawa, where the boat leaves from and this is a spectacular experience. Never managed to do the seaplane transfer as we always seem to go out of season, but I hear it is excellent.

The resort is better than it has ever been. Over the years it has matured wonderfully and has added numerous excellent touches. The jungle spa is a real favourite of mine (or the tented spa out of season). Great service, very good food and an amazing wine list. Immaculate in every way.
Thank you. We have done both the seaplane and the lombok/sumbawa/fab boat trip. I think with our schedule we are going to do the sumbawa boat trip again.
As it will be our 7th visit to amanwana and my sometimes difficult to please partner (not reading this of course) wants to do something new, I have emailed the resort for suggestions. I have told them that I am open to private charters and I'm pretty sure they will come up with something interesting.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:30 am

From The Amanresorts website :

'Highest Ever Rating in Andrew Harper's Hideaway Report for Aman at Summer Palace
Aman at Summer Palace, Beijing received the highest ever rating of 99 out of a total of 100 points in the commemorative 30th anniversary issue of Andrew Harper’s Hideaway Report. The publication has over the years been recognized as a leading authority on luxury travel. Editors describe Aman at Summer Palace as a “serenely romantic vision of a bygone China.” '

I wonder what they were deducted one point for ?
Old May 27, 2009, 5:03 am

From The Amanresorts website :

'Highest Ever Rating in Andrew Harper's Hideaway Report for Aman at Summer Palace
Aman at Summer Palace, Beijing received the highest ever rating of 99 out of a total of 100 points in the commemorative 30th anniversary issue of Andrew Harper’s Hideaway Report. The publication has over the years been recognized as a leading authority on luxury travel. Editors describe Aman at Summer Palace as a “serenely romantic vision of a bygone China.” '

I wonder what they were deducted one point for ?
Just read this in HR. Have you noticed how they have stopped recommending specific rooms/suites? They do not even mention the accommodation in the 'review'.
Old May 27, 2009, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Just read this in HR. Have you noticed how they have stopped recommending specific rooms/suites? They do not even mention the accommodation in the 'review'.
Yes- I have also dropped my HR subscription as it seemed to become a bit too biased to be unbiased...
Old May 31, 2009, 6:32 am

Aman - Kora, Dari and Kila

Just back from a wonderful stay at the above resorts.

Thanks for all the helpful advice from FT-ers which contributed to a great stay.

Am happy to answer any questions that you may have on the above properties...just let me know.

Cheers
BigMerv
Old May 31, 2009, 8:36 am

Amankora

Hi bigmerv,

Which Amankora resorts did you visit and which area did you like the most? (There are five of them in Bhutan if I am not mistaken). I am also planning to stay at Amankora but unsure how many days I should spend and which areas to visit.

KrazeeJoe
Old May 31, 2009, 1:21 pm

Amankora

We spent 8 nights in the country, staying at Amankora in Punakha and Thimpu, and at Uma Paro in Paro.

I would definitely spend 2 nights in each of Punakha, Thimpu and Paro - there is plenty to do, and if you like hiking and cycling, then you will find that there is too much to do! Both Uma and Aman are great, but the Aman experience is superlative, and their guides are amazing - knowledgeable and fun. Although the price is over 1200 dollars per night, you feel like you are getting great value for money, and everything from food to laundry is included. Uma is much cheaper, but you do feel that they are nickle and diming you a little bit and the experience is not quite as seamless as with Aman.

If you are going to be in Bhutan for longer than 6 nights (which I would say is the shortest amount of time you should spend there), then you have a choice.

Either spend longer in one or all of the above (Punakha is the smallest and most beautiful, but we actually liked Thimpu more, and Paro has the most "sites" including the Tiger's Nest which you MUST go to see).

Or, if you dont mind long, long drives on windy roads that WILL make you carsick, then you should go to all 5 lodges. We didnt make it as far as Gangtey or Bumthang, as we didnt have time, but people we met who had been to those lodges certainly seemed to have enjoyed their trip and the eastern valleys are the least "developed" (which is saying something, given that nowhere in Bhutan is developed in the western sense of the word).

Just to reiterate, any further east than Punaka and you are in for VERY long drives, which even in Aman comfort will not be the best of fun. So just bear that in mind when planning your itinterary.

Bhutan is an amazing country and it really blew our mind - probably the most amazing place we have ever been to. The people are wonderful, the landscape and sites are beautiful and you will only rarely see other tourists. You will also get a real taste for chillies by the end of your visit, and the flight in on Druk Air is something else! We thought we might get "Dzonged"-out after a while, but we continually found the visits to the different temples and palaces to be fascinating, particularly as we took every opportunity to visit them via hikes and mountain biking. Your guide's stories about Bhuddism and every day Bhutanese life and culture will also be as wonderful on day 8 as they are on day 1.

Have fun!
Old May 31, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Anoxia at Amankora?

Since Buthan is all 2000+ meters above ocean level, did you or other western travellers feel any form of anoxia/altitude sickness?

A staff member of Como Shambala Estate in Bali who worked for some time at Uma Paro told me, he had problems with the height.
Old May 31, 2009, 2:16 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by bigmerv
Just back from a wonderful stay at the above resorts.

Thanks for all the helpful advice from FT-ers which contributed to a great stay.

Am happy to answer any questions that you may have on the above properties...just let me know.

Cheers
BigMerv
I'd love to hear about Amandari. We'll be there at the end of June. How did you find the refurbishment? What room were you in? What activities did you do?

Ericka
Old May 31, 2009, 3:30 pm

Amankora/Amandari

Amankora:

We were more tired than usual when hiking but overall we were fine.

However, what became clear to us from chatting to other guests is that each person reacts differently, and whilst most people will experience nothing more than shortness of breath and lethargy, an unlucky few will have more severe symptoms. The most important thing is to take it easy, at least for the first few days, so as to aid the acclimatisation process.

It is important to point out that none of the Amankora resorts are high enough for you to get proper altitude sickness (unlike, say, most hotels in Tibet); they are just high enough to give you the same sort of problems you might have at the higher ski resorts. Some of the hikes DO go above the levels at which altitude sickness kicks in - eg the Tiger's Nest at 3100 meters - but usually you aren't high enough for long enough for there to be a problem.

Apparently there is a pill you can take to help with the altitude if this is something that really concerns you - there is lots of discussion about this on the Lonely Planet website.

Amandari:

Ericka, I think you may be a bit of an Aman expert but not sure if you have been to Dari before? I will assume you haven't, but apologies if much of the below is old news to you.

This place was amazing. We had a duplex pool suite, right at the end of one of the lines of villas, overlooking the gorge down to the Ayung river. This was our first visit, so I can't compare to what it was like before the refurb, but the room was immaculate and looked like it had been constructed yesterday, not 20 years ago. All the sides to the downstairs living area can be opened up, which is just magical! On the exterior of the rooms, and on all the paths etc., Aman have left all the plant growth, which preserves the wonderful impression of a traditional Balinese village, rather than creating a stark resort.

If budget allows (or if you or your TA are persuasive on the free upgrade front!!) I would recommend getting a room with a pool, as the main pool is flanked by the bar and restaurant and is right by the entrance to the resort, so it is not at all private.

Activities-wise, we went on the cycling tour of the local villages/rice paddies (10/10 and a must-do), on a walking tour of the rice paddies, a market trip (good but only worth a short visit) and breakfast in one of the Aman bales (highly recommended). We also heard good reports of the rafting, but have done that many times before (albeit not in Bali) so decided to skip it. We also had a couple of massages - one excellent and one not particularly good (sorry, I cant remember the name of the dodgy masseuse) and spent a lot of time just soaking up the magical ambiance in the resort (occupancy was at about 10 - 20% so it was very serene yet did not feel dead - incidentally, Amankila and Amankora were at around the same occupancy rate).

Btw, for what it is worth, I preferred Dari to Kila; my wife took the opposite view (save that we both agreed the food at Dari was better)!

Hope this helps.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:10 pm

Wink amankora paro or thimpu ?

big merv thanks for the info on your aman sojourn.

couple of questions.on Kora..

- if one had to choose betwn aman thimpu or aman paro which will it be ...notwithstanding airport being at paro ....

- also did you fly to bhutan from india or thailand ?

- what time did your flight get into paro ?

- the food.... was it a largely international menu or bhutanese ?

- would you go to the other amankora lodges next time ?

lastly ...will there be any new amankora lodges other than the latest at bumthang ?

re aman dari / kila

what didnt you like about kila ?

short but sweet questions

thanks in advance !!!

Bbrick
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:48 am

Amankora, Amankila

Originally Posted by bearbrick
big merv thanks for the info on your aman sojourn.

couple of questions.on Kora..

- if one had to choose betwn aman thimpu or aman paro which will it be ...notwithstanding airport being at paro ....

I THINK THAT YOU SHOULDN'T CHOOSE BETWEEN THEM, BUT SHOULD STAY AT BOTH. GOING TO BHUTAN AND MISSING OUT EITHER PLACE WOULD BE A REAL SHAME. FYI, I DIDNT STAY AT THE PARO AMAN (WE WERE AT UMA) SO I CANNOT COMMENT ON THE LODGE, BUT THE ACTIVITIES IN PARO WERE ENOUGH TO KEEP US BUSY FOR A GOOD TWO DAYS. IF YOU REALLY REALLY HAD TO PICK ONE OR THE OTHER, I GUESS WE WOULD SAY PARO, AS THAT IS CLOSEST TO THE TIGER'S NEST, THERE IS AN AMAZING DZONG IN PARO AND YOU ARE CLOSER TO THE HAA VALLEY. YOU COULD ALSO DO A DAY TRIP TO THIMPU (60-120 MINS DRIVE DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS, EACH WAY).

- also did you fly to bhutan from india or thailand ?

WE FLEW FROM THAILAND. 2 HRS 50 MINS IF YOU ARE LUCKY TO GET A DIRECT FLIGHT; 3 HRS 50 MINS IF YOU STOP SOMEWHERE EN ROUTE.

- what time did your flight get into paro ?

WE GOT IN AT 8.30 LOCAL TIME HAVING LEFT BANGKOK AT 6.50 (1 HOUR TIME DIFFERENCE). HOWEVER, DRUK AIR IS OFTEN DELAYED AND CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER IN BHUTAN - THEY CAN ONLY LAND IF THEY CAN VISUALLY SEE THE RUNWAY, AS YOU ARE LITERALLY SLALOMING BETWEEN MOUNTAINS ON THE APPROACH (AMAZING VIEWS, BY THE WAY). FLIGHTS WERE CANCELLED FOR 3 DAYS IN A ROW WHILE WE WERE THERE - LUCKILY WE WERENT AFFECTED, BUT SEVERAL PEOPLE WERE. YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST LEAVE AT LEAST 24 HOURS BETWEEN YOUR DRUK FLIGHT AND YOUR INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT.

- the food.... was it a largely international menu or bhutanese ?

IT WAS BOTH. EVERYTHING FROM PASTA, TO BURGERS, TO PIZZA, TO THAI AT AMANKORA THIMPU, TO YAK CHEESE WITH CHILLI (THE NATIONAL DISH...ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS BY THE WAY). ALL THE FOOD WAS GREAT, BUT WE FELT THAT WE WERE CHEATING IF WE ATE WESTERN, SO WE STUCK WITH BHUTANESE. AS LONG AS YOU CAN COPE WITH CHILLIES (THEY REDUCE THE AMOUNT TO SUIT WESTERN PALATES) YOU WILL FIND IT TASTY AND INTERESTING, ALTHOUGH I GUESS THAT BHUTANESE IS NOT ONE OF THE WORLD'S GREATEST CUISINES. WE ACTUALLY TRIED OUR GUIDE'S FOOD WHILST OUT ON TREKS, AND ENJOYED IT AS MUCH AS OUR OWN.

- would you go to the other amankora lodges next time ?

I THINK WE WOULD, AS WE PRETTY MUCH SAW EVERYTHING WE WANTED TO SEE IN PARO/PUNAKHA/THIMPU, AND THE MORE EASTERN LODGES OFFER MUCH MORE REMOTE AND RUSTIC/RURAL SURROUNDINGS.

lastly ...will there be any new amankora lodges other than the latest at bumthang ?

I HEARD PLANS FOR ANOTHER ONE, BUT I DON'T RECALL WHERE IT WAS GOING TO BE...PERHAPS THE SOUTH? THERE ARE ALSO PLANS TO BUILD ANOTHER AIRPORT SOMEWHERE, AND UMA ARE BUILDING ANOTHER HOTEL IN PUNAKHA, OPENING NEXT YEAR I BELIEVE. IF YOU ARE THINKING OF GOING TO BHUTAN, I WOULD GENTLY URGE YOU TO GO NOW, AS THINGS ARE SLOWLY CHANGING. OUR GUIDE TOLD US THAT WE GOT IN JUST IN TIME, BUT THAT HAD WE LEFT IT A YEAR OR TWO, SOME OF THE MAGIC OF THE PLACE MIGHT BE LOST, AS THE KIDS GROW MORE WESTERNISED AND MORE TOURISTS DISCOVER THE PLACE. THEY ONLY GET AROUND 20,000 VISITORS A YEAR (PROBABLY HALF THAT THIS YEAR), SO IT IS ALL RELATIVE, BUT THE INNOCENCE OF THE PLACE IS A LARGE FACTOR IN ITS' CHARM AND IT WOULD BE A SHAME NOT TO EXPERIENCE THAT.

re aman dari / kila

what didnt you like about kila ?

I LOVED KILA, IT WAS INCREDIBLE, BUT A COMBINATION OF JET LAG AND STORMS WHILST THERE, AND THE MAGICAL ATMOSPHERE OF AMANDARI, MEANT THAT I PREFERRED THE LATTER. I SUPPOSE I WAS ALSO A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED BY THE AMANKILA BEACH (ALTHOUGH THE WALK THERE THROUGH THE TREES AND THE SETTING IS SO BEAUTIFUL) - I KNEW WHAT TO EXPECT, BUT I DIDN'T REALLY FIND MYSELF WANTING TO SPEND TIME THERE, AND INSTEAD WAS MOSTLY AT THE (INCREDIBLE) POOL. THERE WERE TANKERS IN THE WATER IN THE BAY, BUT FRANKLY THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT THOSE ON TRIPADVISOR ETC ARE BEING PICKY ABOUT NOTHING.

short but sweet questions LONGER ANSWERS, SORRY!

thanks in advance !!! NO WORRIES.

Bbrick
Old Jun 1, 2009, 3:16 am

whoa ! big merv

thanks for those in depth answers !!^

presumably the 830 arrival into paro is the morning ...and if we dont get into the flight for some reason or other we will have to check back into the city ?.....hmmmm

i believe the flights via delhi has views of everest on a good day ...

my next move would be ..which BANK to break into to pay for the trip

finally ..are you now hooked on aman ?:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.