Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Amanpulo Advice?

Thanks to Ericka, Amanjunkie and everyone else here for all of the great information. I think we have decided on Amanpulo for our promary honeymoon destination this March. We are settled on the resort and what it offers, but a few logistical type questions for everyone:
  • How long is too long at Amanpulo? We are going to book the Romance Package which is 5 nights. We have allotted about two weeks in total for our trip and will be travelling from the east coast of the US. How many nights beyond 5 would you advise at Amanpulo? We love a quiet beach destination, but don't want to get too bored. Unfortunately I am starting a new business, so more than two weeks may not be feasible at this time.
  • Where else would you reccomend for stopovers? We would be open to another resort destination, but don't want to try to squeeze too much into one trip..We are trying to stick to OneWorld airlines for our travel, and were thinking of spending some time in Hong Kong or Tokyo (my fiancee has never visited either city), but are really open to any suggestions.
  • Does anyone have a specific Virtuoso agent they would reccomend in using to book this trip? March isn't too far off, so I want to book very soon.
  • March seems like a good month weather wise to visit, but any things I may be missing?

Thanks again in advance for your thoughts. We are very excited for the trip.

Last edited by Gabatta; Nov 25, 2008 at 10:44 pm
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:35 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
DavidO is a Virtuoso agent and a frequent contributor to this forum. He helped me look at amanpulo earlier this year, though I decided to go with amanjiwo instead.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: some
We were planning on going to Amanwana next year after a gathering at Amankila, but the prices are really scaring us off.

For two rooms for three nights it comes to $6000 (with the high dollar making it more expensive for us) which would be do-able but the plane trip at $400 one-way per person adds another $3200, so that's nearly $10,000 for three nights.

We want this to be a special experience as we are taking my wife's parents who hardly ever have time to travel (first holiday they have together in 7 years!) which is why we considered this in the first place, but this is becoming so very expensive that we are having second thoughts.

I'm sure it's a great place but is it THAT special?

(ps we are spending 4 nights in Ubud. We had wanted to stay at Amandari but decided to rent a huge private villa with a 15 metre long pool, 8 staff etc for less than half the cost of two standard rooms at Amandari).
Old Nov 12, 2008, 1:10 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Gabatta
Thanks to Ericka, Amanjunkie and everyone else here for all of the great information. I think we have decided on Amanpulo for our promary honeymoon destination this March. We are settled on the resort and what it offers, but a few logistical type questions for everyone:
  • How long is too long at Amanpulo? We are going to book the Romance Package which is 5 nights. We have allotted about two weeks in total for our trip and will be travelling from the east coast of the US. How many nights beyond 5 would you advise at Amanpulo? We love a quite beach destination, but don't want to get too bored. Unfortunately I am starting a new business, so more than two weeks may not be feasible at this time.
  • Where else would you reccomend for stopovers? We would be open to another resort destination, but don't want to try to squeeze too much into one trip..We are trying to stick to OneWorld airlines for our travel, and were thinking of spending some time in Hong Kong or Tokyo (my fiancee has never visited either city), but are really open to any suggestions.
  • Does anyone have a specific Virtuoso agent they would reccomend in using to book this trip? March isn't too far off, so I want to book very soon.
  • March seems like a good month weather wise to visit, but any things I may be missing?

Thanks again in advance for your thoughts. We are very excited for the trip.
I would stay for no longer thatn 7 days at Amanpulo. It is a private island and the only place to visit is the neighboring island. The Amanpulo is fantastic (although not nearly architecturally pleasing as most other Aman resorts), superb service, and the best beach!

Regarding an Asian City, I would choose Hong Kong over Tokyo and would stay at the Peninsula.

BTW, I just decided to go back to Amankila and Amanusa in a few weeks. I got the itch again!
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar
We were planning on going to Amanwana next year after a gathering at Amankila, but the prices are really scaring us off.

I'm sure it's a great place but is it THAT special?

(ps we are spending 4 nights in Ubud....).
My recommendation, for what it's worth, is to do Ubud as you have planned, and then go to Amanwana. If you need to save on cost, cut out Amankila and keep the rest.

Amanwana is special, and Moyo Island is very different from Bali. If you have your Ubud villa, Amankila, nice as it is, might be an anti-climax.

Amanwana won't be, that's for sure.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

upgrading amankila accommodations might be another option to consider, instead of amanwana. or what about amanjiwo?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
upgrading amankila accommodations might be another option to consider, instead of amanwana. or what about amanjiwo?
We stayed at Amanjiwo earlier this year (and *loved* it). We will be staying at the Amankila suite (direct booking, upgrade confirmed at time of booking).

Amankila an anti-climax? Woaw, that's the first time I've heard that
Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar

Amankila an anti-climax? Woaw, that's the first time I've heard that
Well, if you've already got the Amankila Suite, you're probably right to stick with it, plus your Ubud villa.

Don't get me wrong: Amankila is just wonderful. But even the Suite will be more like your accomodations in Ubud than a tent at Amanwana would be.

Just depends on your appetite for variety, as distinguished from more Best-on-Bali living. To me, having your own private home in Ubud would seem the best of options, while Amankila is still a hotel, although one of the best in the world.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 6:46 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one doing some creative thinking regarding budgets for upcoming trips.

BTW, I just read the Conde Nast Traveler Top 100 list. There is not a single Aman this year. Unless you want to count the Hotel Bora Bora which came in 90-something. I don't want this to become another "magazine award lists are stupid" thread, but thought it was pretty interesting.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:01 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Ericka
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one doing some creative thinking regarding budgets for upcoming trips.

BTW, I just read the Conde Nast Traveler Top 100 list. There is not a single Aman this year. Unless you want to count the Hotel Bora Bora which came in 90-something. I don't want this to become another "magazine award lists are stupid" thread, but thought it was pretty interesting.
Wow. Not one Aman Resort? What are they nuts? Who are these people that create the ratings? If it is based on popular vote, then maybe I can understand since Aman is very exclusive and most people "not in the know" may never have heard of them.

I wonder what parameters they use to come up with their ratings?

Anyhow, I am going back in a couple weeks to Amanusa and Amankila for the umpteenth time. I never have enough!
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:18 am

[QUOTE=plumbar;10748606]Wow. Not one Aman Resort? What are they nuts? Who are these people that create the ratings? If it is based on popular vote, then maybe I can understand since Aman is very exclusive and most people "not in the know" may never have heard of them.

I wonder what parameters they use to come up with their ratings?

Advertising, maybe?
Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:01 am

The well-known properties like Amankila, Amansara and Amangani appeared on region-specific lists in the same issue, but apparently the scores weren't high enough to clear the top 100. Normally these guys are on there. Amankila at one point was in the top 3. Just not this year. The people who voted scored other properties higher.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
The well-known properties like Amankila, Amansara and Amangani appeared on region-specific lists in the same issue, but apparently the scores weren't high enough to clear the top 100. Normally these guys are on there. Amankila at one point was in the top 3. Just not this year. The people who voted scored other properties higher.
I think there is now a tendency for high-end guests to seek out the newest hotels/resorts and to be the first to visit - witness Aman Beijing. This does not help Aman in Indonesia as the resorts have all been around for a long time now, so when someone returns to Bali, for instance, they look for something new, like the Bulgari.

I also think that the readers of Conde Nast are, on the whole, mass market guests and that fewer high-end guests now read the magazine or, perhaps more accurately, participate in their poll.

I used to vote every year but now I don't bother as I am invariably shocked by who wins. Maybe that is why Aman are not doing as well, although, call me cynical, I still believe that Advertising plays the biggest role in determining who wins.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
  • How long is too long at Amanpulo? We are going to book the Romance Package which is 5 nights. We have allotted about two weeks in total for our trip and will be travelling from the east coast of the US. How many nights beyond 5 would you advise at Amanpulo? We love a quiet beach destination, but don't want to get too bored. Unfortunately I am starting a new business, so more than two weeks may not be feasible at this time.
Would love some additional points of view on this question if anyone can offer advice on how long to stay at Amanpulo.

We will be spending 2 nights in London and 3 nights in Hong Kong on our way to MNL. We currently have 7 nights booked at Amanpulo, but are considering cutting that down by a night, and adding an additional night in Tokyo on the way back.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:53 am

Would love some additional points of view on this question if anyone can offer advice on how long to stay at Amanpulo.

We will be spending 2 nights in London and 3 nights in Hong Kong on our way to MNL. We currently have 7 nights booked at Amanpulo, but are considering cutting that down by a night, and adding an additional night in Tokyo on the way back.
We spent 7 nights which was good for us. Everyone is different. You might want to ask the hotel to email you the Word document of activities in advance. That way, you can plot out what all you want to do and count the days accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.