Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Island Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Do you have a copy?

What's the full name of the book?

I could give Amex a call and see if they could send it to me. (Somehow, I don't think they will)

Last edited by First_Class_Flyer; Aug 19, 2004 at 2:40 pm
Old Aug 19, 2004, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
Originally Posted by First_Class_Flyer
It's nice. All those hotels are nice. Could you recommend something good in the Caribbean?
The Caribbean has a lot of great hotels:

Cap Juluca and Malliouhana in Anguilla
Four Seasons Nevis
Sandy Lane Barbados
Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos
Peter Island in BVI (we did not like Little Dix Bay)

to name a few. And we like some of the smaller, old plantation hotels in St. Kitts and Nevis
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
I'm thinking of Italy. A few cousins of mine have been there and they say it's very nice. Is there anything world class that would be on the beach?
The Splendido in Portofino. While it is not on the beach, it is just above one, and will shutlle you down to it. It is a magnificent property, managed by Orient Express.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:57 am

I'm thinking of Italy. A few cousins of mine have been there and they say it's very nice. Is there anything world class that would be on the beach?
In this order
www.costasmeraldaresort.com
www.hotelcipriani.com
www.lesirenuse.it
www.sanclemente.thi.it
Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Ok. After going to all of these hotel web sites, I haven't fell in love with any of them. Some were really nice, but not like the Las Ventanas al Paraiso. The only drawback to my stay was the heat. I went with some friends and they loved it. it was too hot though. What would be the "coolest" month from late June to mid August?

Check this place out
http://lasventanas.com/index.cfm
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:11 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by eutow
If you are not limited to Europe, Pangkor Laut resort in Malaysia is very good(http://www.pangkorlautresort.com/). There is nothing on the island (Pangkor Laut) other than this resort. It has villas over the sea, in the forest, and on the beach, as well as some separate estates, which may be more to your liking. We found the service to be excellent, and the location idyllic. It has been five or so years since we were there, though.
Have to say that I was very disappointed with the food and to an extent the service there. I don't think it was worth the 3 hour drive plus the 1 hour boat ride to get there from KL. I was there 3 years ago and while the setting was really nice, the food was poor and service wasn't great. No where near a Ritz or 4 Seasons and extremely far from an Aman resort.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA, KrisFlyer, SPG, etc.
In the Caribbean -try Jumby Bay - newly redone. In Antigua, a Rosewood resort.

We didn't like Little Dix Bay either.

You won't find service like you did in Cabo (Ventanas) in the Caribbean, but if you don't expect it you will be ok. Likewise with the food, don't mean to make generalizations. We visit the Caribbean at least 2x/year and always lower our expectations service-wise.

There is a new RC, a smaller one, opening in Anguilla that looks beautiful.
Anguilla is one of the best for beaches, powder white sand, etc. A few beautiful luxury resorts there too, check tripadvisor.com.

The Reefs in Bermuda is beautiful, but need to check your season, can't go in the winter.

Southeast Asia spoils you forever in terms of service...
but I second the idea of Hotel Bora Bora. Unbelieveable.

If you feel like a shlep you can go to Lizard Island off Great Barrier Reef. Another unbelieveable trip.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 8:07 pm

It's Hard to Beat Asia and the South Pacific

Two amazing hotels: the Four Seasons Bali Jimbaran Bay and the Sheraton Nui Bora Bora.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 5:25 am

My top picks having read everyone elses thoughts and your feedback:
Agree Asia is unbeatable for service and feeling of utter pampering. I love the Datai in Malaysia (better than Pangot Laut IMO), All of the Aman Resorts (on Bali I would combine time at 2 of them), Soneva Gili in the Maldives (my favourite place in the world), and either of the One and Only resorts in Mauritus (St Geran or Le Touessrock) or Le Prince Maurice or the Oberoi on Mauritius also.

Can't recommend anywhere in the Caribbean or Hawaii as coming even close to the best of the Asian resorts.

Europe - Cipriani in venice. Venice is still the most wonderful city in the world and if you haven't visited it yet then this should be top of your list. Combine it with a trip taking in the following: Villa San Michelle in Florence, Splendido in Portofino, Villa Feltinelli on Lake Garda (out of this world but sooo expensive!!!), La Posta Veccia near Rome. Seveal great properties in Tuscany, but my favourite is still Locanda del Ambrosia even though it's quite a bit cheaper than many of the others. Hire a wonderful convertible car and take the road trip of your life.

Chateau le Chevre d'Or in Eze on the French Riveria is very nice for a couple of nights (and easy to combine with many of the Italian properties mentioned above especially Splendido and Venice). Chateau les Bagnols in France is also pretty special.

I can't comment on French Polynesia as haven't visited there yet, but people I know who have say they prefer the Maldives as they are less developed.

Finally, it might not be whjat you have in mind but India makes an extremely special trip at the top end of luxury accomodation - staying in palaces and forts around Rhajistan. All of the Oberoi properties are unbelievable (Raj villas, Udaivillas, Agravillas) plus places like Devigagh, Deogagh. With a private driver it is the unltimate once in a lifetime trip - best booked through someone like Abercrombie and Kent to take care of all the details.

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:38 am
Original Poster

That certainly helps a lot. I have researched a few of them (i.e. Venice and the French Riviera.) I will definitely check out all those hotels. I just can't stop thinking about how perfect Las Ventanas was. Have you ever had that experience where you loved a particular property so much that you couldn't imagine staying anywhere else? That's how I feel. It was paradise as the name implies, "Windows to Paradise".

Last edited by First_Class_Flyer; Aug 23, 2004 at 10:01 am
Old Aug 23, 2004, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Las Alamandas

It seems like you are in love with Mexico... and I mean refined Mexico. You can find similar type of service at the Las Alamandas resort

http://www.lasalamandas.com/

read about it online. I would recommend Casa San Antonio. Amazing service and ambiance. The only thing that you have to remember it is quite removed from the civilization -- about good 2 hours to Puerto Vallarta, but in my opinion well worth it.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I know that hotel. I have checked it out in the Concierge Villas edition of Abercrombie and Kent and earlier this year when I made the choice to stay at Las Ventanas. It looks like a great hotel.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 3:47 am

North Island

I am looking for a luxury Island hotel anywhere in the world. I want something with less than 100 rooms and perfect service. Does anyone have any suggestions. If you don't know of any hotels, could you give a region where I might find one?

www.north-island.com (Seychelles)
The Best of the Best
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by oximoron
www.north-island.com (Seychelles)
The Best of the Best
I've always wondered how North Island compares with Frégate as both seem to be Robinson Crusoe-style conservation-minded "eco-resorts” in the Seychelles with similarly exorbitant rates!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
North Island is the most wonderful place on earth, I adored Amanpulo but North was on another level in every way.
GO GO GO - it is paradise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.