Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:24 pm

Meurice, Paris.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:46 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by pdx42
Meurice, Paris.
Could you kindly elaborate a bit further? What kind of room, view, decor, etc? What made it so special?
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:25 am

My four bedroom ocean-view villa at Amanpuri. We had booked two of their cheapest garden-level pavillions at their half rates off. We got there and were amazed to be upgraded to a four bedroom ocean view villa with living room, live-in maids, private pool, and several "outdoor sitting areas." Needless to say, we extended our time there.

Also very nice were the rooms at the Four Seasons in Chiang Mai. Not quite the same level as in Amanpuri but beautiful, especially the top level with the "pyramid" roof. Also, the balconies "salas" there were nicer than the Amanpuri regular pavillion ones.

For bathrooms, I will say that I don't think anyplace I have stayed can beat those of the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. But then again, what do you expect when the bathroom is half of the room??
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Having scanned through my posts on this thread I do not believe I have mentioned a very nice Jr. Suite we had at the Crillon in Paris.

Deluxe Jr. Suite, facing Boissy D'Anglas, newly renovated and redecorated. Large main salon with seating area and super comfortable King bed. Small marble entry foyer. Immediately to the right of the bed (facing the bed) was a narrow walk in closet.

Along the windows is a narrow passage to the marble bathroom with an antique make up table with mirror. Bathroom had sliding pocket doors. The bathroom is amongst the most beautiful I have ever seen with several different colours of marble used. Had a spacious tub, double vanities, separate enclosed WC, and a large shower stall with rainshower head and a bench all in marble. Toiletries were "Eau de Hadrian" by Annick Goutal.

We stayed here on a LHW 4 night package including return transfers (hotel upgraded car to S-class), daily full breakfast in Les Ambassadeurs, dinner in L'Obelisk one evening, wine, chocolates, Museum passes, and fresh flowers. Our room was upgraded as well.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:30 pm
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I loved indigo Bay in Mozambique. 16 small villa's spread out between the trees in 30 feet off the beach in a nature preserve. One of the most wonderful experiences of my life, attentive staff and complete privacy. Main complex has a large open area for outdoor or indoor dining, executive chefs from europe/RSA and very good food and wine collection.

One day the staff made a teak deck on the beach and put torches around the perimeter. As the evening fell they stared open barbequeues and we had a most wonderful dinner on the beach as the sunset came. Barbequed zambezi river shrimps and various cuts of game followed by dancing under the stars on the deck. Absolutely spectacular.

The trip there is difficult, to johannesburg RSA and then Maputo Mozambique before doing a turboprop to Vilanculos before boarding a small twin prop for the hop to bazaruto island. Despite the long travel to get there i can highly recommend it.
http://www.indigobayresort.com/
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:51 am
Original Poster

How could I forget!! Our Junior Suite (Dame Charriere de la Roche Suite) at the Chateau de Bagnols was a wonderful experience. This was before Rocco Forte Hotels took over management of the property. Located about 45 minutes outside of Lyon in the Beaujolais.

Situated in the main Chateau, the one room corner suite had a view of the rolling hills of the Beaujolais. With stone floors, a queen size two-poster bed with a large walk-in closet off the entry, two wing-backed chairs and an original antique table, it is a spacious room with a lot of character. The bathroom was located on the outside corner of the building with the bathtub situated such that while soaking in the tub you can look out the holes in the walls where archers could defend the chateau. The toilet was definitely of the "throne" variety and large bottles of toiletries were provided. The night we stayed we had a thunderstorm -- so cliche but so spectacular as we saw flashes of light through our wooden exterior and interior shutters.

Click on the link below and click to see a sample Junior Suite. The picture is the room we had.

http://www.bagnols.com/suites.html

A stellar feature are the groves of cherry trees from which you can eat, and even take home, beautiful cherries when in season. It was worth experiencing once but this property is much better suited for older patrons.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Here is a link to a more detailed description of our room at the Chateau de Bagnols (Room 7: Dame Charrier de la Roche)

http://www.bagnols.com/room7.html

Here is a link to the rates and descriptions of virtually all of the rooms and suites at this property.

http://www.bagnols.com/rates.html
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:45 pm

Lowes Vanderbilt (3/2006)
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:25 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Gotta add the Dalem Jiwo suite at Amanjiwo to this thread! I'll be posting a separate trip report as soon as the jetlag wears off. ^
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Imperial Villa at the IC Bali.

http://www.bali.intercontinental.com...=52&Itemid=103

Simply fantastic, out of this world.

Oceanfront Villa at the Banyan Tree Bintan.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:37 pm
Original Member

La Casa que Canta, etc.

Private pool suite at La Casa que Canta in Zihuatanejo

Junior suite at Cap Juluca on Anguilla

Various suites at Ventana Inn in Big Sur

Corner suites at the Mandarin Oriental in San Francisco

Suite at Claridge's in London

River-view room at the Savoy in London

The Pear room at Gravetye Manor in West Sussex
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
3102 at the Peninsula Bangkok, an objectively excellent room in its own right, is one of my personal favorites in the world thanks to a variety of totally subjective attractions that make BKK and the Pen extra-special for me. I haven't tried a suite at PBK yet, so I may have to add one of those to my list one day. Nearly all of the -02 stack are the same, and most any one on a high floor will be great, but someone's been looking out to give me 3102 recently, so that one gets my pick. I do wind up moving a chair whenever I check-in-- something about the feng shui bothers me. I'm sure they're thinking, "Why won't these queens leave the chair in place?"

At the Peninsula Hong Kong, I've got a favorite room on the top floor of the old building with a forecourt and harbour view. It's quite large and the furnishings, facilities, and all that are excellent; plus the Pen's service at the push of a button. I'm not saying which room exactly, lest it be snapped up when I want it.

The standard suite Mr. Megatop and I had at The Legian in Seminyak, Bali, recently was spectacular. We had 115, IIRC. Others of similar layout might be better, such as on the higher floors, but the design was wonderful and extraordinarily spacious, with a great Indian Ocean view and very nice furnishings and special touches.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:22 pm
In Memoriam

Upgraded to a suite at the Ritz in Seoul... good lord.... ^
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Seat 2F on any SQ Megatop doesn't qualify, does it?

Nice leather and walnut furnishings, decent-sized LCD TV with built-in entertainment (no pay-per-view here!), "room" service whenever you want, a comfy duvet and pillow, pyjamas.... The loo isn't en suite and it's a little noisy, but there are worse places to catch forty winks, mmmkay?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bagold
Amanpuri - 4 Bedroom Ocean View Villa - I think it was #24. About 30,000 sq ft. in total space. 25 meter private pool. Two dining rooms. 3 full-time live-in staff.
Is that right?? 30,000 sq ft for only like $6K per night?

Also >
http://www.parkhyatttokyo.com/Facility/Stay/

details on PHT rooms

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 15, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.