Nicest/best hotel room/suite you've stayed in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicest/best hotel room/suite you've stayed in

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This thread really has me thinking of all of the beautiful suites I have stayed in over the years and what was so special about each one. In some cases it was the view (Hotel Crillon, Paris, with an obstructed view over the Place de la Concorde and dining on the terrace). The Grande Bretagne, Athens, with a view of the Acropolis, including the sound and light show, which we could see while dining on that terrace. The suite on the QE2, where we were served breakfast in bed on trays by our butlers, Albert and Margaret. Hotel Bora Bora in an over-the-water bungalow from which we could walk down a few steps and swim in the lagoon, watch the sun set over Tahaa and then watch the Manta rays play at night. The suite which had it "all" was the least grand of all; but the most perfect. It was at the Locanda Cipriani (not to be confused with the Hotel Cipriani) on the Island of Torcello (population 29). For many, Torcello is a day trip from the Fondamente Nove in Venice and lunch in the gardens of the Locanda. The Locanda has 2 suites and 4 other rooms. Our suite, the Fosca Suite was a step back in time. The furnishings were simple and beautiful, with handmade lace curtains on the windows, good books on the shelves and a sense of serenity which I have never experienced elsewhere. Not for a moment did we regret not having a television or internet access. Our suite overlooked grape arbors, flowering gardens and the Fosca church. This was certainly not the most extravagent suite, nor the most expensive we have stayed in, but, definitely one of the lovliest and most romantic of all. Go with someone you love, even if that someone is yourself.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Thinking about our upcoming stay this weekend, I realized that I somehow forgot to include the Post Ranch Inn in my earlier response. The Ocean Houses at Post Ranch have to be some of the nicest rooms anywhere - built into the side of the hillside 1,000 feet directly above the Pacific, with wildflowers growing on the roof and a double-sided fireplace (so that you see the flames from both the slate tub and the bed), fully-stocked complimentary min-bar, etc.

A most remarkable place to stay.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marin 1K:
Thinking about our upcoming stay this weekend, I realized that I somehow forgot to include the Post Ranch Inn in my earlier response. The Ocean Houses at Post Ranch have to be some of the nicest rooms anywhere - built into the side of the hillside 1,000 feet directly above the Pacific, with wildflowers growing on the roof and a double-sided fireplace (so that you see the flames from both the slate tub and the bed), fully-stocked complimentary min-bar, etc.

A most remarkable place to stay.
</font>
You affirm my position that, ultimately, size does not matter.
Some of my best experiences in hotel suites have been in the ones which are less-than-grand.
I have not stayed at Post House, but did stay at La Ventana. I loved the wood-burning fireplace, the tub,
the view, and the total ambience.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:29 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
One more room came to mind -- at the Cour des Loges in Lyon, old part of the city, we had a studio room on the higher floors which opened up directly onto the rooftop terrace. While this was certainly not a private terrace, it seemed very few guests used it or knew about it so it was virtually private. A lot of trellises with plants, lush flora, and a small fountain. Room service will even serve you drinks up on the terrace. Nothing too extravagant, but made the property very special.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Sort of off topic but has anyone stayed in the Peninsula Suite or Garden Suite at the Peninsula Hong Kong? Those two suites look absolutely amazing!!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Thought I'd chime in:

Best "room" was a suite at the Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay in Bali where we went on our honeymoon in 1999. Only 2,000 square feet, but we had an outdoor shower, a separate dining pavilion where they brought us our breakfast each morning, and a plunge pool overlooking the Bay. The suite deal came with a car and driver who was available to drive us anywhere we wanted to go. Hated leaving it, but could only afford a handful of days there. Downgraded to the Oberoi, which was still phenomenal.

Later in the honeymoon, we went to the Oriental in Bangkok, and while we were upgraded to a "honeymoon" suite, alas I cannot recall the name of it. Did come with a pager for our butler, and tremendous plates of fruits and sweets every night. Ah, that was the life.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flamboyant 1:
I wonder what the replies of B Watson, QuietLion, speedbird and Pickles are to this thread!!!

Please take a moment to post your "best suite(s)" here, I would really appreciate it.
</font>
Honored to be lumped among such august company. Anyway, here are a few I can think of, which I did by mentally scrolling through geography. I can't really rank them, except the last one, which I think is my all-time favorite, for some strange reason. Also, some of these were quite modest in price, including my all-time favorite, which was I believe no more than $150 USD or so.

(1) One-bedroom suite on the 5th floor facing the beach at the Copacabana Palace in Rio. I felt like a movie star from the 1950's. Thank you FHR. B Watson claims the existence of a 6th floor in this building, with even more exciting suites plus a private swimming pool.
(2) Amanjiwo room facing Borobudur in Central Java.
(3) Amanusa double upgrade suite (thanks again FHR), facing the ocean with its own pool.
(4) FS Punta Mita suite facing the ocean, with its own pool. This was during my honeymoon.
(5) A "cottage" at Royal Malewane in Thornybush, Kruger, South Africa. This place was amazing. It was on a raised platform, had indoor/outdoor showers and a small pool. The "indoor" shower was one of those rainshowers, but there were no shades/curtains in the bathroom, so you could shower while the animals took their bath outside at the watering hole.
(6) PHT one-bedroom suite, although I prefer the corner Park rooms with a view of Mt. Fuji from the bathroom.
(7) Tawaraya and Hiiragiya Ryokans in Kyoto. Full-service indeed, great hot tubs.
(8) A room with a garden view at the Japanese wing at the Kyoto Miyako.
(9) One-bedroom suite facing Central Park in winter at the Trump International in Columbus Circle, NY.
(10) One of the theme suites at the Mandarin Singapore. One room had the bedroom and bathroom, the other had the living room, and the third had a dining room for 12 people. Thanks again FHR.
(11) A corner harborview suite at the MO in HK during a class 8-9 typhoon. The MO, in their infinite wisdom, have installed double pane windows at all the balcony windows and doors. But not just regular double-pane, but the two pieces of glass are separated by about 1 foot of cork lining around the edges. While the typhoon raged outside (unbelievable winds and very, very loud), the inside of the room was anticlimactically quiet. The room itself could use some "refreshing", but I imagine they are working on it. Knowing HK, this might involve tearing the whole building down and starting again, but so be it.
(12) My all-time favorite. Room #401 here. It was during my honeymoon. This room was very simply furnished, but it had this incredible 360 degree view of the Japan inland sea, plus the wall art were Keith Haring lithographs and paintings. The building, designed by Tadao Ando, has to be one of the more impressive buildings I've been in.

[This message has been edited by Pickles (edited Jan 31, 2004).]
Old Feb 1, 2004, 2:40 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Thank you Pickles!
Old Feb 1, 2004, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Thank you also, Pickles!!!!
Old Feb 1, 2004, 6:51 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Have to throw in one more to give props to the Amans......the Indrakila suite at Amankila (CandiDasa, Bali). Only two year's old, this free standing pavillion boasts one of the best seaside views in all of Bali. It's pearched on a cliff with views up the lush coastlines to the left and right. There are no other buildings in sight, just Lombok in the distance and a lovely temple on one of the cliffs to your left.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 2:50 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life

Ok, unfortunately I've never stayed at any of these over-the-top presidential/royal/whatever suites, but I had nice "normal" suites in the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Dubai (top floor, overlooking the beach and the Burj Al Arab), Peninsula Bangkok (took me ages to find out what all these buttons in the rooms are for) and Four Seasons Berlin (simply love the decorating style).
Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:33 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Bumped to add a nice club floor suite at the new Fairmont Waterfront (900 Canada Place, Vancouver). Gorgeous view.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pickles:
(9) One-bedroom suite facing Central Park in winter at the Trump International in Columbus Circle, NY.</font>
As I've posted elsewhere, I'd prefer not to like a Trump property, but this is a terrific hotel, and as Mr. P. points out, the suites overlooking the park are spectacular. I once was able to book a two bedroom suite overlooking the park at a $750 promotional rate (which was cheaper than booking two of their lowest category rooms); I'd rank it as one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I had a fabulous suite fit for a king at the fabulous Palace of the Golden Horses in Kuala Lumpur. This is one of the top hotels in all of Asia and it's where world leaders stay for ASEAN meetings. I only made it there back when it was bright and new about 5 years ago, but they still hold major ASEAN meetings there so I assume it's still up to par. I've mentioned this on FT before, but no one has responded. Am I really the only one who has stayed there?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
organizing a congress for the European Salt industry in 1982, the Victoria-Jungfrau Interlaken did put us (Gisela and I) in their presitential suite in the tower (looks like a castle-tower) - unfortunatly, being 150% occupied with that 3 days/nights congress, I only had very short time (sleeping time that is) left to really enjoy the suite!
http://www.victoria-jungfrau.ch/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.